NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Default Question About Heritage Auction

Posted By: Paul

I didn't want this question to get lost in the other Heritage thread. I hope it's ok that I've started a new one.

I was watching one lot very closely last night (the Tip Top Dreyfuss). It closed last night at $5500 plus the buyer's premium. I would swear on a stack of bibles that I saw it listed as closed. This morning, I checked the website again to see how much the Hartford CDV closed for because it was still active when I went to sleep last night. When I pulled up my bid/watch list, I saw that the Dreyfuss I was watching was now listed at $7500 plus the buyer's premium.

How is this possible? Did anyone else notice this? Or did I just completely misread the auction last night. None of this matters to me, except for getting a sense of the value of this card. Thanks.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Leon

I also thought (key word here is "thought") I saw some lots closed at a certain price and then today they were a different, higher realized price. Maybe there was a place where there was a "closed to normal bidding" price and then a final price?

Old 04-26-2009, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Leon

I was told that once the initial bidding was closed, if you had not bid on a lot, then the lot showed closed. That makes sense as the lots I was bidding on were still open and the others were closed, fairly early into overtime. So the lots were really open, and in extended bidding, but only showed open to folks who had bid on them. That is the reason that so many lots went up after they looked like they were closed. regards

Old 04-26-2009, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

That sounds like pretty sophisticated software to be able to do that, and I think it's a good idea.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony N

Could someone post the final prices of the Cracker Jack Joe Jackson cards that ended in the Heritage auction? I'm not registered with their company, so the website doesn't show me that info. One was graded a PSA 6.5, and the other was an SGC 92. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Tony

Old 04-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenny Cole

Well, that explanation might make sense but I'm not sure it is right. I had bid on the Dreyfuss. When I went to bid again during extended bidding, it showed closed to me with a hammer price of $5,500. Unless I am missing something, since I had previously bid on the Dreyfuss, I assume that it should have still been open to me. I would have bid higher than either the real or pretend closing price of the lot, so shutting me out probably cost them some money.

Kenny Cole

Old 04-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

sometimes heritage has live floor bidding and phone bidding after the internet auctions are closed. maybe this was the case?

Old 04-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

Kenny,

When you were viewing the lot, and it said "closed", is it possible that you weren't logged in to Heritage, but just viewing it? If their software is as complicated as it sounds, it wouldn't know you had bid previously unless you were logged in.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: PaulPaulPaul

I don't think the explanation makes sense. I had bid on every lot I was watching. One lot (the Hartford CDV) showed that it was still active. All the rest, including the Dreyfuss, were listed as closed.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard L.

Tony,

To answer your question--(bp included)

SGC 92 Jackson 41.8K

PSA 6.5 Jackson 15.5K

Old 04-26-2009, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

I have no idea about the tip top lot in particular, but, in order to see a lot as open in the extended bidding, you must (1) have placed a bid and (2) be logged in. Im also unsure, but suspect that if you dont have any activity after a certain amount of time, the software automatically logs you out.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenny Cole

I placed a bid on the Dreyfuss a few days before the last day of the auction. I then logged on at 10:32 for the extended bidding. The Dreyfuss lot showed that it was closed as of that time. That's all I know.

Kenny Cole

Old 04-26-2009, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David McDonald

On the plus side they had some absolutely great stuff. On the minus side the cluttered and confusing bid pages and that useless liquid pixel imaging were discouraging, and the Live Auction action, at least from where I'm sitting, was a crock. I was the penultimate bidder on the autographed Mathewson photo. I had put in a placemark bid during the pre-Live Auction bidding so was qualified to bid on Friday. I placed a substantial proxy bid prior to the opening of the Live Auction. When it was exceeded I placed another bid, or so I thought, by hitting the big red "Bid" button. The next thing I knew the lot was closed for bidding. My bid didn't register! I was logged on, no question. Somewhere in Heritage's fine print it says that there might be "latent software delays" or words to that effect. Why bother having live on-line bidding in the first place if the software is hit-and-miss? As it was the consignor lost out on at least $2500 and maybe a lot more.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

David, I agree completely. Heritage has great stuff but their website is a joke no matter how many 'awards' it supposedly wins (and who gives out awards to auction web sites?). I've actually thought I'd won an item in past auctions only to find out later that another bid topped mine -- without any explanation. What I find incredible in our hobby is the arrogance that certain auction houses have when it comes to their customers. Heritage must constantly get complaints about its ridiculous site and yet never bothers to make it simpler. And Heritage is hardly the only auction house that ignores the desires of its lifeblood, its bidders.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Michael Steele

I agree 100% with above posters Jeff and David. I won't go into the details but most of the reasons stated above are why this auction house is the only auction house I am not registered with. And they do have nice stuff, just not my bids.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I agree, their website and auction interface needs a complete overhaul. It has been such a pain to me that I have been reluctant to bid in the past.
jimB

Old 04-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

I'll have to take your word for it that they have nice stuff. I find their web pages so busy and difficult to navigate that I haven't bid with them in almost 2 years. I just don't have the patience to go through it all.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

I'm glad to read that it's not just me who finds Heritage's Web site annoying to use, to the point that I'm not registered with them because I do not think it's worth the trouble. And this comes from a person who works on updating content on Web sites for a living, so it's not like I'm not at least a bit Web savvy. I suppose someday they'll have an item that I just can't ignore, but up to this point, that hasn't happened.

I look forward to the day they overhaul that train wreck of a site.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: chiprop

I bid on a lot 2 years ago and it was a similar situation. When the time goes below 1 minute, I think the only other person that can bid is the previous bidder. I think that's why it shows "closed", but not sure. Heritage is a terrible site, but not as bad as Weiss or Hunt. I think they leave a ton of money on the table by not using the traditional aution software. I would never consign to an auction site that I couldn't use myself.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Hunt has the absolute worst website out there. No doubt Heritage needs some work as well. Personally, however, I have bid in Heritage auctions and have gotten some pretty good deals - obviously having all you other guys not bidding has been helpful happy.gif