NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 08-26-2021, 09:15 AM

Default E-Bay Saved Searches

So I have a saved search in e-Bay which is this - "1981 Donruss Checklist" (I'm hunting for the 1-121 version with DonOhue spelt correctly, if anyone has one).

Can anyone tell me what sort of algorithm they use which returns results like this every day?

1990-91 Skybox TIM HARDAWAY RC Rookie Card + 1992 Kellogg's College Greats LOT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (32.1 KB, 103 views)
Old 08-26-2021, 10:48 AM
Mike Lenart

I've had the same issue when searching for checklists.

It looks to me like the seller checks all or many of the items in the "Features" choice. One of them is "checklist". So when you search, you get all these totally irrelevant items.

I guess the sellers thing they will get more views. I find it annoying.

Not sure of a way to fix it or make it better yet.

Mike
Old 08-26-2021, 11:30 AM
Mike Lenart

You can also put what you are searching for in quotes, then it seems to search for that exact wording.

It eliminated a lot of "clutter" but might cut down on items available.

Mike
Old 08-26-2021, 02:32 PM
James M

https://automatedsearches.com/

that site is incredible. seriously incredible.

anyway, the keys for ebay searches are to use () and -

so if you only want 1981 cards, for example, put

(1981) in parenthesis. you will need to possibly tweak it to remove things. for example, if a 2009 set included a 1981 throwback insert or something, you'd want to use

(1981) -2009

to remove all the 2009 results.

include separate parenthesis for things that are required

(1981) (donruss) (checklist)

if you use that, it will only return results that include ALL of 1981, Donruss, and checklist in the thread title.

I have 1000+ automated searches set up using that website, and I get text alerts to my phone when something new is listed, and it updates every minute (with a premium account, every 15 mins with a free account), and you can use it for both BINs and auctions.

I've spent hours on that site creating and tweaking searches. Also, I think that site is MUCH easier to tweak and update existing searches than using ebay's saved searches feature, but thats just my opinion. its also easier to organize your saved searches into folders.

Last edited by 53toppscollector; 08-26-2021 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53toppscollector View Post
https://automatedsearches.com/

that site is incredible. seriously incredible.

anyway, the keys for ebay searches are to use () and -

so if you only want 1981 cards, for example, put

(1981) in parenthesis. you will need to possibly tweak it to remove things. for example, if a 2009 set included a 1981 throwback insert or something, you'd want to use

(1981) -2009

to remove all the 2009 results.

include separate parenthesis for things that are required

(1981) (donruss) (checklist)

if you use that, it will only return results that include ALL of 1981, Donruss, and checklist in the thread title.

I have 1000+ automated searches set up using that website, and I get text alerts to my phone when something new is listed, and it updates every minute (with a premium account, every 15 mins with a free account), and you can use it for both BINs and auctions.

I've spent hours on that site creating and tweaking searches. Also, I think that site is MUCH easier to tweak and update existing searches than using ebay's saved searches feature, but thats just my opinion. its also easier to organize your saved searches into folders.
Thanks! I'll give this a try
Old 08-26-2021, 09:25 PM

the item specifics have ruined searches.. a lot of people myself included would sometimes forget to switch the "brand" or "sport" in there but why does it matter since the title and sport category are correct? well now that every card is under the same roof those are now how you search for things.. that and ebay makes words like "autographics" all autos or "hoops" search for all of basketball..
Old 08-26-2021, 09:30 PM

i had to change up a zack greinke search to just his last name because people's lack of attention to detail led to tons of zach listings. is it that hard to read the name off the card and spell it properly?