NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-22-2012, 08:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default OT- RIP Joe Paterno

I just read on the news that Joe Paterno passed away. No details yet. It just flashed at the bottom of Meet the Press. Very sad. He was 85. RIP Joe....
Old 01-22-2012, 08:39 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

I wonder how much the stress of the scandal and the way Penn St. treated him was at fault for his quick decline. Very sad.

Joshua
Old 01-22-2012, 08:40 AM
Barry Sloate

I know he had cancer, but the events of the last few months had to take a terrible toll. That's a very sad story. Still one of the greatest coaches of all time. R.I.P. Joe.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Kenny Cole

RIP JoePa.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:12 AM

As a Penn State alum, this has been a very, very sad year. I didn't realize how emotionally attached I was to the Paterno legend (or partial myth if you want to call it) until all this went down. I used to pass him walking from his home to Beaver stadium and he always had time to smile and say hello to students.

Last edited by celoknob; 01-22-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:24 AM
Jeff

This whole ordeal has played out worse than a Greek tragedy.
Very sad. RIP Joe.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 01-22-2012, 09:27 AM
Pup6913

This is news that lays heavy on my heart. Anyone who knows me knows I can hardly be found with out my Penn State hats or hoodies. Joe you were an amazing man and coach and will be missed RIP Papa Joe

WE ARE.......
Old 01-22-2012, 09:37 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
This whole ordeal has played out worse than a Greek tragedy.
Very sad. RIP Joe.
Any chance you'd like to re-think the use of "Greek" Sorry.

Anyways, I agree the way all of this played out was very sad indeed. Joe gave his whole life to the game, only to have it all end in scandal, illness and a rather quick death...YES, the man pretty much gave his "entire" life to the game, and it's one of the saddest things ever that the final months of his life were full of stress, scandal and illness, and he never was afforded the chance to embrace a peaceful life outside of the game..Perhaps, that was his choice though..

RIP Joe Pa...

Last edited by novakjr; 01-22-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:09 AM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

RIP Joe Pa. Its sad that he died this way but the whole Sandusky cover-up was reprehensible!
Old 01-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Ken McMillan

His firing was pathetic and is a horrible way to end his life and career. He should have been given the oportunity to resign and leave with some dignity.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:10 AM
John Wondowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by pup6913 View Post
this is news that lays heavy on my heart. Anyone who knows me knows i can hardly be found with out my penn state hats or hoodies. Joe you were an amazing man and coach and will be missed rip papa joe

we are.......

Penn State
Class of 1983

Last edited by wondo; 01-22-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:54 AM
rich

Joe was so powerful, nothing happened on that campas without him knowing about it. He himself admits to not doing enough, but it's a little too late now. How many kids could he have saved? I believe he was an enabler. What's pathetic is that he asked to finish the season when all this became public. What's horrible is he allowed it to continue to the present. The man did a lot of good for a lot of people, but how can anyone turn a blind eye to the whole story. He didn't go far enough. Not even close.

Rich
Old 01-22-2012, 12:14 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosoxfan View Post
Joe was so powerful, nothing happened on that campas without him knowing about it. He himself admits to not doing enough, but it's a little too late now. How many kids could he have saved? I believe he was an enabler. What's pathetic is that he asked to finish the season when all this became public. What's horrible is he allowed it to continue to the present. The man did a lot of good for a lot of people, but how can anyone turn a blind eye to the whole story. He didn't go far enough. Not even close.

Rich
I cant believe I agree with a Bosox fan!!! The man had more power than the Governor of Pennsylvania and he did NOTHING!!! He was an enabler and I dont care how many people he smiled at and what he did for the University! When he had a chance to really do something significant, he failed miserably!!!!
Old 01-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Steven Finley

None of us know the entire story, and none of us ever will. I have no affiliation to Penn State other than being a sports fan, but I still choose to remember the man by the 99.9% of his life of which he should be. RIP Joe Pa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeCollector View Post
I cant believe I agree with a Bosox fan!!! The man had more power than the Governor of Pennsylvania and he did NOTHING!!! He was an enabler and I dont care how many people he smiled at and what he did for the University! When he had a chance to really do something significant, he failed miserably!!!!
Old 01-22-2012, 12:21 PM
Kenny Cole

I'm not a Penn State alum, don't root for them in football or any other sport, and am appalled at the whole Sandusky situation and how it was handled. That being said to focus solely on that and ignore everything good that Paterno did in his life, particularly at this moment, shows a complete lack of class IMO.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:29 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
I'm not a Penn State alum, don't root for them in football or any other sport, and am appalled at the whole Sandusky situation and how it was handled. That being said to focus solely on that and ignore everything good that Paterno did in his life, particularly at this moment, shows a complete lack of class IMO.
If it were recruiting violations and selling jerseys and memorabilia, you are right! But, Im sorry when it comes to 10 yr old children being sodomized on campus and especially in the locker rooms, I dont care if hes the Pope!!!!I dont care what he did for 60+ years! He had a chance to protect innocent children and he failed!
Old 01-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Quote:
Is this not heinous enough for you? The only thing worse to do to children is to murder them! Cmon man!!
Old 01-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Kenny Cole

Yeah, it's all JoePa's fault. Even though I suspect that neither you nor I know even half of what transpired or how, good, bad or indifferent, you are in a better position than anyone else to determine that. It must be wonderful to know so much more than the entire Pennsylvania criminal justice system combined. I wonder why none of them have asked you what they should do.

So let me ask you this: If a serial rapist saves a bunch of kids from a burning building, is he a bad guy or a hero? Rather clearly unlike you, my answer would be both. The good deed doesn't cancel out the bad, nor does the bad negate the good. That's the same way I think about JoePa and his legacy. And, as I mentioned before, I think you have absolutely no class to mention the bad without ever considering the good, particularly at a time like this. Have a good day.

Last edited by Kenny Cole; 01-22-2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: grammatical error that I didn't want Barry to catch
Old 01-22-2012, 12:45 PM
Jeff Gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
None of us know the entire story, and none of us ever will. I have no affiliation to Penn State other than being a sports fan, but I still choose to remember the man by the 99.9% of his life of which he should be. RIP Joe Pa.
All anyone needs to know is that he knew Sandusky was sodomizing children and that they people he told did nothing about it. He then decided to go about his everyday life w/o doing or saying anything about it. He put football and "the program" over doing what was right and needed to be done to protect innocent children. Not to mention he allowed Sandusky back at PSU and even game him office space and allowed him to used the football facilities for his Second Mile charity.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Quote:
Yeah, it's all JoePa's fault. Even though I suspect that neither you nor I know even half of what transpired or how, good, bad or indifferent, you are in a better position than anyone else to determine that. It must be wonderful to know so much more than the entire Pennsylvania criminal justice system combined. I wonder why none have them have asked you what they should do.

So let me ask you this: If a serial rapist saves a bunch of kids from a burning building, is he a bad guy or a hero? Rather clearly unlike you, my answer would be both. The good deed doesn't cancel out the bad, nor does the bad negate the good. That's the same way I think about JoePa and his legacy. And, as I mentioned before, I think you have absolutely no class to mention the bad without ever considering the good, particularly at a time like this. Have a good day.
Im basing my information only on facts. Joe admitted that he should have done more but he chose the football program and the university over the safety of 10 yr old boys. He was a great football coach and thats it, but I dont want to hear about any of this integrity stuff!!
Old 01-22-2012, 12:57 PM

Most people are remembered for what they did in life, a few for what they did not do...for me, I will remember the latter when I think of Joe Paterno.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:48 PM

I agree with the post above. I know a lot of people think what happened to Joe the last few months is "sad" and "not fair" but what if those kids were your kids? What if these things didn't have to happen to them if only he did the right thing? He was a great sportsman but to me the scandal and tragedies that occurred under his watch outweigh anything that happened on a football field. I have no sympathy for him in terms of how he is remembered. And think this scandal should tarnish his legacy and not be forgotten or set aside in favor of inconsequential championships.

Its strange to me that people defend him. That people say it wasn't his fault, that he was just there. It is hard for me to understand that just because a man coaches a football team people will blindly defend him. The things he did not do for children, things that cannot be undone and will destroy their lives FOREVER, far outweigh anything he did do in a sports arena. We're all adults. We understand the consequences of sexual abuse. I can't imagine saying "Yeah but..."

Last edited by packs; 01-22-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:59 PM
Dan Bretta

Great football coach..I will remember fondly the Nebraska vs Penn State rivalry, but I will always think there was a look the other way attitude in order to shield the school and football program, and that will forever taint his legacy. It's a shame, but there really is no other way to look at it. Once he had been told, he had a moral responsibility to protect the children in Sandusky's life, but he did the very minimum.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Belltown Vintage

This had to happen eventually, but he will really be missed - regardless of your thoughts regarding the recent issue that got him fired, he was a college football (and sports) institution and also showed us that there's no need to roll over and die when you get old. It sucks the way he went out.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:31 PM
Barry Sloate

Good thing you edited Kenny. I was watching you like a hawk.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:11 PM
Barry Sloate

In the second half of the New England-Baltimore game, the announcers made a brief statement that Paterno died. There was very little if any praise, just a passing note about his death. But do you remember the accolades John Wooden got when he passed? Paterno was in his own right a legend the equal of Wooden, but he is not going to get the same praise. His was a moral failing; he knew that if he took this story to the right authorities, the football program might go down, which is of course the university's major cash cow. Who knows, maybe he wanted to do more and was pressured not to. A lot of new information will come to light soon.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:26 PM

Football is a sport. These are the lives of human beings. One needs to come before the other. If it doesn't, then something is wrong. I understand how a lot of people WANT to find a reason to let Joe off the hook. But it's time to face facts. I don't knock anyone for having pride in their school. But I do hope people stop trying to find a reason not to call a spade a spade. I think CBS is not bringing Joe up a whole lot in respect to the victims, which I think is the right call.

Last edited by packs; 01-22-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Noel

Default Paterno

I hope this is the last time I ever hear Paterno's name mentioned in the same sentence as John Wooden.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:44 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by esehombre View Post
I hope this is the last time I ever hear Paterno's name mentioned in the same sentence as John Wooden.
Agreed. Wooden was a great basketball coach, but it's a different sport and I have no interest in it. Compared to Paterno, Wooden was a child when he retired.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:18 PM
Brian Macdonald

Rest in Peace Joe Paterno

Live in Peace Penn State victims
Old 01-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by esehombre View Post
I agree Noel. The difference between the legacies the two men left is startling
Old 01-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Great football coach..I will remember fondly the Nebraska vs Penn State rivalry, but I will always think there was a look the other way attitude in order to shield the school and football program, and that will forever taint his legacy. It's a shame, but there really is no other way to look at it. Once he had been told, he had a moral responsibility to protect the children in Sandusky's life, but he did the very minimum.
Dan, here's another way to look at it, despite your proclamation: Every time a public figure dies, there will be those who use the event as an opportunity to jump on their soapboxes and speak as if virgins. Nothing new here. There are very few spotless people on this planet, and there are very few on this forum who truly know what they would have done in Paterno's situation. Despite your insinuations, I do not believe he was a bad man. That's the way I look at it.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:02 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Dammit. That Sandusky pervert was the catalyst to JoePa's downfall and the the tarnishment of a once great career. And this guy can't keep his mouth shut even after the man's death. Attn: Jerry- No one gives a sh*t what you think, and I'm sure no one needs your condolences. Just shut the hell up, do the right thing and eat a round...

I'm not giving JoePa a pass on what happened. But Sandusky has to know that even commenting right now is completely tasteless.

Last edited by novakjr; 01-22-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:35 PM
John Wondowski

I am saddened by Joe Paterno's passing. As a PSU alumnus I have a paternal bond to our late coach and university figurehead. It does not, however, blind me to his transgressions. His good works are timeless; his faults are the same. What a good man we have lost. Perhaps being a Penn Stater has colored my judgement, but it has also allowed me the honor of knowing good and pride and honor. RIP JoePa.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:00 PM

/

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:52 PM

Football is a kid's game and how it can exert so much influence and power at what is supposed to a be an institution of higher learning is ridiculous. That applies to beyond Penn State of course. And, for the record, I went to a Big Ten school and do root for their football team when they play-- so I'm not beyond enjoying a good Division I football game.

Last edited by drc; 01-23-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:54 PM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default Great coach. Great man? Not so much.

Integrity is often defined as doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching. In the case if Joe Paterno we are left to question his integrity. This is very unfortunate because in life he touched a great many people and is a legend to hundreds of his players. But, when he had the choice to truly make a difference in this life he chose the easier path. I admire the coach but lost respect for the man. RIP JoePa. I'm sure the last two months hastened the end and am disappointed you had a hand in letting it end this way. Your pain is over. For others it will never end.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:37 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

John et. al.

Being a teacher and working with children for the last 25 years, I was appalled at what went on with Sandusky and Paterno until one of my good friends asked me how I would have handled the situation.

I have made that call a few times in my career and each time it was on suspicion of abuse, not proof. And each time it was VERY difficult. I know teachers and staff that were unable to make the call even to possibly save a child. It is a difficult thing to confront. I am not excusing Paterno's actions at all and he had a responsibility to go further and he failed. But how many of you might have made the same calls in his situation. It is not an easy thing to believe, confront, and then take action against.

Before people roast Paterno, take a second and ask yourself how you would have handled it if a close friend/co-worker was possibly caught hurting a child and how would you handle all the implications to follow.

Joshua
Old 01-23-2012, 08:14 AM
Ray Novak

Default A sad end

I too am a school teacher. Until very recently, teachers were told not to confront parents, fellow faculty members, etc., they suspected of abuse or neglect. Protocol dictated that if you suspected someone of these transgressions, they should be reported to your supervisor (principle, dean, etc.). That person was to act on that information by taking it to people who make decisions about hiring and firing and who have access to the legal machinery of the institution. This policy was instituted to protect teachers and others from legal action resulting from what might turn out to be false accusations. This is exactly what Paterno did.

Where he failed was in not questioning why Sandusky was still on the sideline with him after he had reported what he knew to his superiors. It's very hard to believe that his actions in what would become a national scandal ended there. Was there no follow up? Didn't anybody get back to him to let him know what any type of investigation determined? Was there even an investigation? Regardless of what his superiors did or didn't do, Paterno had the ultimate responsibility for his program and his staff, and even if Paterno thought a hint of what Sandusky was accused of might be true, Sandusky should have been fired. That was Paterno's failing and his downfall.

Shakespeare, speaking through Mark Anthony in "Julius Caesar" wrote: "The evil that men do lives after them, the good is oft interred with their bones."

Unfortunately, he could have been writing about Joe Paterno.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:28 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Ray, at that point, Sandusky was not a part of the program. He'd been retired for 3 or 4 years, but was allowed access to all school facilities and given an office as part of his retirement.. Basically, Paterno had no control over the guy. But yes, I understand your sentiment about protocol.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:37 AM
Barry Arnold

Default Joe Paterno

rest in peace, Joe Paterno.
my sympathy to family and friends.

barry
Old 01-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Tony Quinn

Default Omg

Anybody who has anything nice to say about this lowlife scumbag should be forceably raped and see how you like it. I know he didn't do it, but he knew about it and that makes him just as guilty. The university knows it, that's why he was fired. You Paterno backers make me sick. People who put a stupid sport in front of children's safety deserve to burn in hell with Sandusky.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:22 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Joe Paterno

I can't help but wonder what the conversations between Paterno and Sandusky were like the last nine years; and why he continued to allow his name to be used (as an honorary director) by that foundation for nine years after he was aware of the accusations against Sandusky. And don't ask me to believe that he couldn't have gotten him away from the campus and program if he wanted to. Yes, he was a great coach and mentor to many people, but this episode will forever sully his legacy.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wite3 View Post
John et. al.

Being a teacher and working with children for the last 25 years, I was appalled at what went on with Sandusky and Paterno until one of my good friends asked me how I would have handled the situation.

I have made that call a few times in my career and each time it was on suspicion of abuse, not proof. And each time it was VERY difficult. I know teachers and staff that were unable to make the call even to possibly save a child. It is a difficult thing to confront. I am not excusing Paterno's actions at all and he had a responsibility to go further and he failed. But how many of you might have made the same calls in his situation. It is not an easy thing to believe, confront, and then take action against.

Before people roast Paterno, take a second and ask yourself how you would have handled it if a close friend/co-worker was possibly caught hurting a child and how would you handle all the implications to follow.

Joshua
Well-said, Joshua. One of the down sides to the internet is all the discussion forum preachers. I don't think any more or less of Paterno because of their speeches. The self-righteous pulpit is what Facebook's for.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:55 AM
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
Ray, at that point, Sandusky was not a part of the program. He'd been retired for 3 or 4 years, but was allowed access to all school facilities and given an office as part of his retirement.. Basically, Paterno had no control over the guy. But yes, I understand your sentiment about protocol.
I really think this fact has been intentionally overlooked by many, and accidentally overlooked by some. Sandusky had been retired for 3 years when the 2002 stuff took place and when Joe found out about it. Pretty hard to fire someone, or otherwise discipline them, when they no longer work for you. Sandusky deserves every bad thing that can happen to him legally, but the way the media made out that this whole thing was Joe Paterno's fault and tainted his legacy has seemed very unfair to me. And firing a guy over the phone, after 60 some years of working for the same employer, would be a low class move whether we are talking about college football or a steel mill.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: OT- RIP Joe Paterno

Quote:
Sandusky had been retired for 3 years when the 2002 stuff took place and when Joe found out about it. Pretty hard to fire someone, or otherwise discipline them, when they no longer work for you.
Yet he continued to enjoy access to campus facilities. Surely someone should have seen to it that he be barred from the campus. The inaction by Paterno and others allowed the abuse to continue for several years after the initial discovery.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wite3 View Post
John et. al.

Joshua
Is this a joke? I wouldnt want my kids anywhere near you!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
Anybody who has anything nice to say about this lowlife scumbag should be forceably raped and see how you like it. I know he didn't do it, but he knew about it and that makes him just as guilty. The university knows it, that's why he was fired. You Paterno backers make me sick. People who put a stupid sport in front of children's safety deserve to burn in hell with Sandusky.
+1
Old 01-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Scumbag

Joe Paterno is a piece of garbage!

Correction.....was

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 01-23-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Quote:
Originally Posted by uyu906 View Post
I really think this fact has been intentionally overlooked by many, and accidentally overlooked by some. Sandusky had been retired for 3 years when the 2002 stuff took place and when Joe found out about it. Pretty hard to fire someone, or otherwise discipline them, when they no longer work for you. Sandusky deserves every bad thing that can happen to him legally, but the way the media made out that this whole thing was Joe Paterno's fault and tainted his legacy has seemed very unfair to me. And firing a guy over the phone, after 60 some years of working for the same employer, would be a low class move whether we are talking about college football or a steel mill.
Firing someone who sodomized children??? It doesnt matter if he worked there at all or not, he was very visible on campus and had access to all of the facilities. Paterno should have immediately banned him from Penn State forever and reported him to the Police!!! You dont only lose your job for heinous sex crimes vs children, you go to jail!!!! As far as Im concerned, I dont care how many buildings or wings he contributed to the University! He had a chance to make a difference and he chose protecting his friend, the university and most of all the football program over protecting 10 yr old boys from single parent homes!!!