NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-19-2016, 09:08 AM
Sc0tt A1paugh

Default 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA 3 Available in Complete 1952 Topps Set Break at National

*** This is a paid advertisement ***

Just Collect, in partnership with RippingWax.com will feature a complete, 1952 Topps Baseball PSA Set Break LIVE at the National. One person from this set break will receive the hottest card in the hobby today, the 1952 Topps #311 Mickey Mantle “rookie,” that has been graded PSA 3 (an image of the actual card is pictured below). This incredible set break will be offered by VintageBreaks.com and will include all 407 1952 Topps cards graded by PSA – this includes all of the scarce high number series (cards #311-407). The live break will occur at the Vintage Breaks booth in the Case Break Pavilion at the upcoming National in Atlantic City. The date and time will be announced at www.vintagebreaks.com. Entries can be purchased now on www.VintageBreaks.com for $359.99 each while they last and if you purchase more than one spot in the break, each spot will be discounted to $349.99 each.

For those unable to attend the National you can still enter this historic 1952 Topps PSA set break. It will be streamed live online and the break video will be posted to Youtube for all to see!

This Vintage Set Break of a complete 1952 Topps PSA Set featuring the #311 Mickey Mantle PSA 3 is certain to be one of the highlights of what promises to be an exciting 2016 Atlantic City National. Once VintageBreaks.com sells all 407 entry slots, the numbers corresponding to the entrants and the cards in the set will be generated using a computerized random number generator – no pieces of paper in a hat or ping pong balls rolling in a cage – the set will be broken with true randomness . . . and in front of everyone at the National!

Entries are available now on a first-come, first-served basis. Participants need not be present at the National. To secure your spot today check out www.vintagebreaks.com. Full details and rules for the Vintage Break of the 1952 Topps PSA Set Break can be found at www.vintagebreaks.com. For any additional questions please send me a PM on here or contact Leighton Sheldon by email at Leighton@justcollect.com or by phone at (732)-828-2261.

Blog: www.justcollect.com/blog
email: scotta@justcollect.com

Last edited by JustCollectVP; 07-19-2016 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Amend title
Old 07-19-2016, 12:52 PM
Bob Davies

Wow... nice looking 3.

Anyone feeling lucky?
Old 07-19-2016, 01:18 PM
Dave_Berg

Is there a breakdown of cards and their grades anywhere?
Old 07-19-2016, 01:24 PM

Default And oh yeah by the way----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
Is there a breakdown of cards and their grades anywhere?

...and 406 more scans , for us centering weenies....

Old 07-19-2016, 02:50 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Link to site with grades/pics: http://www.vintagebreaks.com/feature...opps-card.html

PSA GRADED BREAK HIGHLIGHTS:

#311 Mickey Mantle PSA 3

#312 Jackie Robinson PSA 3

#333 Pee Wee Reese PSA 4

#268 Bob Lemon PSA 8

#1 Andy Pafko PSA 4

#11 Phil Rizzuto PSA 3

#29 Ted Kluszewski PSA 7

#36 Gil Hodges PSA 4

#37 Duke Snider PSA 3.5

#65 Enos Slaughter PSA 7

#67 Allie Reynolds PSA 7

#88 Bob Feller PSA 4

#182 Billy Hitchcock PSA 7

#195 Minnie Minoso PSA 4

#215 Hank Bauer PSA 5

#216 Richie Ashburn PSA 5

#250 Carl Erskine PSA 6

#264 Roy Hartsfield PSA 7.5

#277 Early Wynn PSA 6

#261 Willie Mays PSA 3.5

#407 Ed Mathews PSA 3.5

#400 Bill Dickey PSA 8 OC

#315 Leo Durocher PSA 8 OC

#313 Bobby Thomson PSA 4

#344 Ewell Blackwell PSA 8 OC

#326 George Shuba PSA 7

#332 Tony Bartirome PSA 4

#334 Wilmer Mizell PSA 7

#356 Toby Atwell PSA 8 OC

#366 Dave Madison PSA 7

#372 Gil McDougald PSA 6

#379 Joe Rossi PSA 8 OC

#380 Clem Koshorek PSA 7

#384 Frank Crosetti PSA 4

#392 Hoyt Wilhelm PSA 4

#396 Dick Williams PSA 4

#399 Jim Fridley PSA 8 OC

#406 Joe Nuxhall PSA 4.5
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 07-19-2016, 04:50 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Hey Scott/JC:

I read:
Quote:
Once VintageBreaks.com sells all 407 entry slots, the numbers corresponding to the entrants and the cards in the set will be generated using a computer random number generator
So ALL 407 has to be sold to start? What if this does not happen? Does JustCollect buy the remaining slots?
At 359.99 a slot is a lot of $$$ and only 12 spot are sold so far of the 407.

I had a idea to share, maybe getting groups of friends and share the cost. Which I considered doing myself. If you get like 3 guys, that's 120$$ each, in which we would then re-sell the card and split the price.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 07-20-2016, 07:47 AM
Sc0tt A1paugh

While it is anticipated that all 407 slots will sell out in advance of the expected VintageBreak at the National, in the event that the break does not sell out, the entry period will be extended, within reason, and the break will occur live, online at a date selected and announced upon the full sellout of the break.

An amazing 136 of the 407 cards are graded PSA 5 or better! That’s more than 33% of the set in EXCELLENT or better condition! A list of all of the cards and the associated grades should be available on the www.VintageBreaks.com website later today.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:59 PM
Sc0tt A1paugh

Default All grades posted

The full list of grades are now available in addition to the images of 14 cards.

To clarify, since some have asked, you do not need to be present to enter the contest (you can do so online) and you do not have to attend the National to receive your prize.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:03 AM
Sc0tt A1paugh

Weekend bump.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:56 PM
David Gil.bert

You should consider doing a satellite sale. Sell 20 tickets for say 20 bucks winner gets an entry into the break. While a lot of people might not risk $360 plenty will take a shot at $10 or $20. Plus it gives you a little more profit.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:17 AM
Sc0tt A1paugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashouse goriilas View Post
You should consider doing a satellite sale. Sell 20 tickets for say 20 bucks winner gets an entry into the break. While a lot of people might not risk $360 plenty will take a shot at $10 or $20. Plus it gives you a little more profit.
The poker player in me understands the satellite concept and while I greatly appreciate the suggestion, it would create a dynamic that would result in the offering being illegal.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:51 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

There are definitely some regulations concerning this kind of thing. And if done the wrong way could be a big legal issue. My thought is/was, since everybody is getting a physical and valuable product, they just don't know which one, it is not quite like gambling. That being said I am pretty sure our resident lawyers would recommend erring on the side of caution. Good luck with everything, JustCollect team.
And thanks again for being part of the Net54baseball community. It is appreciated. And last but not least, some of my best times at Nationals have been with Leighton. I hope to resurrect that next year (with you by our side, Scott!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCollectVP View Post
The poker player in me understands the satellite concept and while I greatly appreciate the suggestion, it would create a dynamic that would result in the offering being illegal.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
While it is anticipated that all 407 slots will sell out in advance of the expected VintageBreak at the National, in the event that the break does not sell out, the entry period will be extended, within reason, and the break will occur live, online at a date selected and announced upon the full sellout of the break.

An amazing 136 of the 407 cards are graded PSA 5 or better! That’s more than 33% of the set in EXCELLENT or better condition! A list of all of the cards and the associated grades should be available on the www.VintageBreaks.com website later today.
Still at 244. What is the within reason date? Curious for those who bought in...including myself

Last edited by Kelleys1; 08-07-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:18 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

My first time buying into something like this and not happy how this is shaking out. Bought one spot for me and one for a sick friend and was trying to give him something fun to focus on. Kind of sucks to be in limbo. If they couldn't sell a few spots at the show this doesn't sound hopeful at all.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 08-07-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:29 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
My first time buying into something like this and not happy how this is shaking out. Bought one spot for me and one for a sick friend and was trying to give him something fun to focus on. Kind of sucks to be in limbo. If they couldn't sell a few spots at the show this doesn't sound hopeful at all.
they could lower the price and refund the difference to the current buyers..
Old 08-07-2016, 07:04 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Sorry to hear that, and good on you for trying to take his mind off of things.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:47 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I would give them a chance to explain what they are going to do before breaking out the tar and feathers. They are good guys; give peace a chance.

Last edited by Leon; 08-07-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:43 AM
Sc0tt A1paugh

Unfortunately, the break did not sell out during the National.

VintageBreaks.com has every intention on completing the enrollment and running the break and expects a sell-out and the break very shortly.

VintageBreaks apologizes for any disappointment as this would've been spectacular to have headlined at the Breaking Pavilion.

Updates will be posted regularly on the VintageBreaks.com website and slots sales will be updated as quite a few were sold at the National.

Thank you to all that have participated so far, those that will in the future and thank you all for your patience.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, the break did not sell out during the National.

VintageBreaks.com has every intention on completing the enrollment and running the break and expects a sell-out and the break very shortly.

VintageBreaks apologizes for any disappointment as this would've been spectacular to have headlined at the Breaking Pavilion.

Updates will be posted regularly on the VintageBreaks.com website and slots sales will be updated as quite a few were sold at the National.

Thank you to all that have participated so far, those that will in the future and thank you all for your patience.
Slot availability on your website has not changed since before the National ended. Can we get an update? I'm hoping this will still happen but not looking good.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:47 PM
Sc0tt A1paugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelleys1 View Post
Slot availability on your website has not changed since before the National ended. Can we get an update? I'm hoping this will still happen but not looking good.
I will check on getting the count updated ASAP.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:00 AM

Are there any updates?
Old 09-06-2016, 11:07 AM
je.sse @rnot

Still shows 244 spots left. I would have bought a couple if the price per spot was more in line with the value of the set being offered. Perhaps it's time to adjust the price and get this sold out.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:06 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Still shows 244 spots left. I would have bought a couple if the price per spot was more in line with the value of the set being offered. Perhaps it's time to adjust the price and get this sold out.
agreed
Old 09-06-2016, 02:09 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Still no set break and no refund. I'm being patient with these guys. Last communication I got was its happening.

Be interesting to see what happens. I don't usually mix work and pleasure, but occasionally being a class action lawyer comes in handy.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:49 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Quote:
Still no set break and no refund. I'm being patient with these guys. Last communication I got was its happening.

Be interesting to see what happens. I don't usually mix work and pleasure, but occasionally being a class action lawyer comes in handy.

I reached out to Sheldon about a 2 weeks ago and he responded that it was still a go and he would be happy to refund me at any time just let him know. I am willing to hang in a little longer but just about to call it quits as it does not look like it is going to sell out any time soon.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:01 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:

I am sure this will get their attention!
Old 09-06-2016, 03:04 PM
Robert Williams

The price point is entirely too high, and one of the parties involved has a less than stellar reputation. I wish them luck, but those two items right there are probably big factors as to why this is nowhere close to selling out.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:19 PM
Sc0tt A1paugh

At this point, the intention is still to follow through with the break.

Anyone that does not wish to wait can request a prompt refund by emailing: leighton@justcollect.com.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:45 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
The price point is entirely too high, and one of the parties involved has a less than stellar reputation. I wish them luck, but those two items right there are probably big factors as to why this is nowhere close to selling out.
Just out of curiosity, what is the comment about a less than stellar reputation referring to?
Old 09-06-2016, 04:52 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Refund requested. My first and final foray into set breaks. Like I need this aggravation.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:27 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
one of the parties involved has a less than stellar reputation.
Exactly why I sat this one out and have passed on many, many 1940 Superman cards from Just Collect.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:52 PM
Daryl

This is kinda like Kickstarter.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the updates. When I did not see any traffic/info in about a month, I figured it was time to ask the status.

This is my first venture into a set break, so I'll hold on a little longer.

But it would be nice if the POC can put out an update every 2 weeks or so, even if it's no changes. Knowledge is power and when there's a total vacuum of no info for a month, one gets ansy.

thanks

MEB Boy
Old 09-07-2016, 02:17 AM
Rich Klein

The VintageBreaks.com link takes you to the page but there is a message saying "Whoops, Our Bad". A great concept to break a 52 set, hope it gets completed.

Site is back up

Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 09-09-2016 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:45 AM
Bill O

Deleted

Last edited by Billy5858; 09-07-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:33 AM

I also emailed for a refund. Have not heard anything yet. Let me know if anyone else does.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:36 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

What was beyond frustrating was I went to their table at the National to check in on the status of this and say hello and there was a very pleasant woman sitting at an empty table (right as you entered the room) who basically told me she had no information on the break and was just sitting there for someone. Yeah, good way to sell the remaining 200 plus spots in your break. Have someone there who has no information on anything.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:14 PM
Sc0tt A1paugh

Default Update: Sept 7, 2016

To anyone that has requested a refund prior to Noon today (Sept 7, 2016), you should have received an email reply from Leighton. If you have not, please resend your request to Leighton@justcollect.com.

I will work diligently to provide a line of communication, including updates and pertinent information from VintageBreaks.com, David and Leighton and provide a regular update (more often if circumstances require).

To reiterate, anyone that prefers not to wait for the break to sell out and wishes a prompt refund, please email Leighton@justcollect.com with your request.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:03 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

deleted.

Last edited by MULLINS5; 09-07-2016 at 09:19 PM. Reason: deleted comment
Old 09-08-2016, 05:11 PM

sorry...did hear from leighton (president) that he would forward to operations manager to take care of today (yesterday). Still waiting....

Last edited by Kelleys1; 09-08-2016 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:23 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Have asked for a refund now three times, including a direct email to Leighton, and no response.

Seems these guys are hellbent on destroying their reputation on the most influential baseball collecting forum there is. Interesting approach.

Quote:
To anyone that has requested a refund prior to Noon today (Sept 7, 2016), you should have received an email reply from Leighton. If you have not, please resend your request to Leighton@justcollect.com.

I will work diligently to provide a line of communication, including updates and pertinent information from VintageBreaks.com, David and Leighton and provide a regular update (more often if circumstances require).

To reiterate, anyone that prefers not to wait for the break to sell out and wishes a prompt refund, please email Leighton@justcollect.com with your request.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Have asked for a refund now three times, including a direct email to Leighton, and no response.

Seems these guys are hellbent on destroying their reputation on the most influential baseball collecting forum there is. Interesting approach.
It certainly doesn't seem to be a priority. As a non-participant I am stunned, really, at how badly this has been handled. And it seems with the refund requests the completion is getting farther away, not closer.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-08-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:41 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

I am not surprised.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:43 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Not losing sleep over it. Have a lot of friends down where they are.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:47 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Not losing sleep over it. Have a lot of friends down where they are.
If its by credit card it would be an easy refund.. Just seeing what they wanted for a slot to me didnt make sense that people would fill up the slots.

I do think you will get paid eventually though if they want to have any type of a reputation
Old 09-08-2016, 07:52 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Admitting you made a mistake is what they should have done weeks ago. Everyone makes mistakes. Yanking a lot of people chains is the wrong approach. If you are running a business and can't timely refund a few hundred dollars something is very wrong.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:55 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Admitting you made a mistake is what they should have done weeks ago. Everyone makes mistakes. Yanking a lot of people chains is the wrong approach. If you are running a business and can't timely refund a few hundred dollars something is very wrong.
agreed...funny how 'rich' people will take your money but when it comes to pay something back..even a few hundred its like pulling teeth..maybe thats how people stay rich...

Its not like the money was used to buy something, like to pay for a an event that hasnt taken place. it should be real easy to click a few times on the keyboard. Plus if one guy is saying the other guy is in control of the money, why not just pay the refund now to the customer and get the money from that other guy. Why make the customer wait..
Old 09-08-2016, 08:12 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
agreed...funny how 'rich' people will take your money but when it comes to pay something back..even a few hundred its like pulling teeth..maybe thats how people stay rich...
I owned a construction company for 20 years and that old couple that had to save to have work done always tried to pay before the work was finished. Every "rich" person and I do mean every one took weeks and sometimes months to pay. As a contractor we all know this is how it works and they do get charged a much higher rate because of this.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:54 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:

If that was their goal it certainly seems they have succeeded. I can't imagine doing business with them ever again. I did not buy into this break when I saw what was being offered. 407 x $350 is over $140k. If they spent close to half of that on the set I would be surprised. And a 30k estimate for an off center PSA 3 Mantle seems pretty ridiculous. I would expect that card to sell for less than 20k, and am confident I could pick up an off center 4 for less.

I hope those who bought in get their money back one way or another.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:24 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
And a 30k estimate for an off center PSA 3 Mantle seems pretty ridiculous. I would expect that card to sell for less than 20k, and am confident I could pick up an off center 4 for less.
FWIW, That card, the exact same one, was sold by PWCC on 7/7/16 for $23,600.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-M...p2047675.l2557