NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-27-2017, 10:21 AM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Default Estate Sale - Need Some Help

I plan to go to this estate sale tomorrow morning and it has more baseball cards than any I have seen in this area. The problem is, I can't tell what everything is by the pictures. Can you guys help? I'm going to post a link to the sale. If you scroll down past the featured photos and general items list, you will find 143 pictures. There are some sports collectibles as early as picture 67 (click on a picture to see its #) and there are 20 or so pictures of cards (mostly baseball) starting at picture 143. It is difficult to tell what most of them are unless you recognize the boxes, but it appears there are unopened boxes and even cases. It could all be from the 80's and 90's, I'm not sure, but I could use a few extra sets of expert eyes.

Note: If you prefer, I can post pictures here. There are just so many I didn't know if that was the best way to go.

Thanks in advance
Chris

https://www.estatesales.net/AL/Birmingham/35216/1708911
Old 10-27-2017, 10:25 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Looks like a waste of a good Saturday morning to me

Lots of modern stuff that I'm pretty sure has little to no value.

I can't speak for the non-sports stuff.

Good luck!
Old 10-27-2017, 11:01 AM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Looks like a waste of a good Saturday morning to me

Lots of modern stuff that I'm pretty sure has little to no value.

I can't speak for the non-sports stuff.

Good luck!
That's what I'm afraid of and why I posted. Is there anything older at all? I just can't see much detail and don't recongnize many of the boxes
Old 10-27-2017, 11:27 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Looks like its gonna be a nice sale IF not by over-hype prices by the folks holding it.
Some of the bb card items are ok, even the gp kids cards. Some of the toy figures. Heck, I be looking at the arcade games and etc and maybe some of the paintings/glassware too.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 10-27-2017, 11:28 AM
Rich Klein

If this is like most estate sales, perhaps this material is worth 10 percent of book (for the most part) and the unopened cases and boxes maybe 50 percent (basically unsellable merchandise)

And I wager the prices would be extreme for anything. If I saw that, my 1st reaction would be, sounds like they would make good donations for my Adat show as very little of that is even worthy of show "retail"

Regards
Rich
Old 10-27-2017, 04:46 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Actually, some of those cards look interesting. If I did flea markets or traveling antique shows I would definitely buy it as inventory. Problem is, it's mostly oddball. And oversized oddball cards don't sell too well.
The original series of GPKs could be VERY GOOD if they're NM or better and complete.
A bunch of the other stuff would go well on COMC if it's not already filled out. Wish it wasn't the 5 hour drive away or I would meet up with you for it. Good luck!
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:40 AM
Todd

Default Highlights...

Maybe there are some Bo Jackson errors in those 1986 Highlights sets. Pretty big money in those...
Old 10-28-2017, 08:49 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Actually, some of those cards look interesting. If I did flea markets or traveling antique shows I would definitely buy it as inventory. Problem is, it's mostly oddball. And oversized oddball cards don't sell too well.
The original series of GPKs could be VERY GOOD if they're NM or better and complete.
A bunch of the other stuff would go well on COMC if it's not already filled out. Wish it wasn't the 5 hour drive away or I would meet up with you for it. Good luck!
I didn't go this morning. It was rainy and they assigned numbers at 8 am and only let so many people in at a time, beginning at 10:00. I may go tomorrow to see what's left. Estate sales often cut prices way down the last day.

Anything specific you could tell me to look for? I know NOTHING about GPK or anything non-baseball, and know very little about baseball cards post 1987.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:51 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantmorecards77 View Post
Maybe there are some Bo Jackson errors in those 1986 Highlights sets. Pretty big money in those...
Feeling ignorant. Which sets are those? Topps? Donruss? What should I look for if I go tomorrow?
Old 10-28-2017, 09:38 PM
Todd

Default Highlights...

Those would be the Donruss Highlights (1986) cases. There should be 15 sets per case - looks like there's at least a few cases there. It's a long shot, but you never know. The Bo Jackson error/variation is the "Highlights" logo on the front of the cards is in white, instead of yellow.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:54 PM

Everything depends on whether you're looking to making a bundle or just pocket-change on a flip, which of course depends on
how much the estate vendors are asking for what's there. We've seen insanely high prices and amazing bargains at such things.

The big-ticket item we think we recognize is #72, the 1981 Namco Galaga. You'll need a truck, though.
The air-hockey and foosball tables (#s 62 and 70) are sure sellers if they're in working order and you sell locally.
Among sports memorabilia and toys and hobby stuff, maybe #74, the framed Favre jersey -- probably a replica but it is auto'd.
The Matchbox cars and case (#133), the Star Wars figures (#136), the 1960s GI Joe stuff (#s 133, 139, 142) -- 12" Joes,
footlockers, Jeep -- are all collectible, and there could be a couple of bucks in the O-gauge track and what looks like
an HO-scale engine (#142).

Is that a football boardgame almost out of sight below the Star Wars figures?
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 10-29-2017, 07:42 AM
Jay Shelton

If you are going today, you may want to concentrate on the toys, especially (from the pictures) the following:

2 GI Joes (one 1970-73, the other 1960s). I can date them for you from the patent markings on the buttocks. Also the GI footlockers and accessories, especially the one intact, especially if it has the inner plastic tray.

Oscar Goldman figure (from the Six Million Dollar Man line from Kenner in the mid 1970s)

Mego Fonzie figure (1976-ish); looks like both of the thumbs that upraise are intact. Looks complete; value runs $25-$35

1970s 3 3/4" GI Joe figures and vehicles

1980 He-Man figures

I've been collecting toys for 40+ years, I could probably help you identify some of the stuff. Shoot me a PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:51 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenx34 View Post
Anything specific you could tell me to look for? I know NOTHING about GPK or anything non-baseball, and know very little about baseball cards post 1987.
The cello-like pack in the middle with Nasty Nick on the front could be a complete set of 88 (1A/1B - 44A/44B) from the first series. If they're in NM condition, figure at least $5 each plus $30 each from the #1s and #8s. If they would grade PSA 10s, could be a whole lot more. I'm sure they are already gone if you didn't go the first day it opened.
Don't waste your time on the 2nd and 3rd series. Cards are plentiful and worth less than a buck each.

Those Fax Pax World of Sport sets have some interesting Hall of Fame rookies from tennis and boxing that would be worth mining for PSA 10 Set Registry folks.

The Topps vending boxes (blue with "Picture cards" on front) look to be from 1987, and I wouldn't waste time on them. However, the cards in the plastic holders that say "All Star Fanfest" could be worthwhile depending on what year they're from. Again, set registry guys would be looking for high-grade rarities for their Player collections. I would bet the ACC boxes are this set: https://www.comc.com/Cards/Basketbal...-_Base,sr,i100 So you would have some Michael Jordans within the UNC team cards.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:00 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Looks like those 1985 Topps "3-D baseball stars" could be worthwhile as well.

Mickey Mantle comics? Probably worth a few bucks each if you had the ability to slow sell them.

Kayo boxing (with Kangaroo) could have some boxing HOF rookies as well.

Topps Foldouts (1983?) might be worth something as well.

I see some Mantle metal box sets as well. Bazooka 1995 complete sets would have flea market value.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:31 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Did you make it to the sale?
Old 11-01-2017, 09:20 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

No, I didn't. Sunday morning came, I looked at the pictures and the replies here and the motivation wasn't there.