NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Patrick N.

Default T 206 Eddie Plank

Was wondering what your opinions are on this Craiglist ad: http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/clt/1634001011.html Also, could you explain to a novice just exactly how rare this card is and assuming this is not a scam, do you think the price is a good one? Thanks

Last edited by mintacular; 03-08-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Barry Sloate

It is a scam, so move on. I don't believe the person who listed that card owns it. That's a color variation, and extremely rare. What collector would use Craigslist as a place to sell such a card?
Old 03-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Doug C.

I'd say any card of that value on craigslist is a scam to begin with, but another red flag would be how the scans don't match up. It's odd the scan of the back has a black background to it while the scan of the front doesn't.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Doug got it. The front scan shows that ugly wrinkled thin plastic insert, the back scan doesnt.

Last edited by fkw; 03-08-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:18 PM
Jim D

I also agree, the scans are of two different cards, not only are the holders different, there is a small chunk missing out of the top right of the front side, but this missing chunk doesnt show up on the reverse. I also think you would see that crease, easily seen on the front on the reverse as well, but you do not.

I did a small search on the phone number and found it is a landline in CLeveland, the guy also has a sportscards wanted ad listed in Fort Lauderdale and Miami newspapers. His email is baberuth@roadrunner.com

20k is probably reasonable for that card, but i would be hugely sceptical
Old 03-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Rob Miller

Has anyone actually had success in obtaining a high dollar card via craigslist? I have only heard horror stories. I would never even look at that site for cards...I might be missing out on some "deals", but I'd rather not have the headache.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Johnny S

I know someone who does sell off craigslist but only locally in mn. He always meets in a public place to be safe and actually met somewhat of a whale that doesn't buy on ebay, always pays cash and pays way above vcp so for him it worked out but unless it's a face to face deal I would never do anything.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Patrick N.

Default Phone #

The only reason I thought this might be legit was that he posted his phone number in the original ad. Usually the scammers request you contact them first and from there set up their scam off-line...
Old 03-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHarmonica View Post
I know someone who does sell off craigslist but only locally in mn. He always meets in a public place to be safe and actually met somewhat of a whale that doesn't buy on ebay, always pays cash and pays way above vcp so for him it worked out but unless it's a face to face deal I would never do anything.
Maybe it's just me, but I would be a little worried about meeting up with a total stranger from craigslist while carrying a large amount of cash.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Johnny S

I was nervous when I had a stack of cards but 3g's later it was all gravy. We met at a sub shop I like and once I counted the money worries were over. He went and sold everything to the guy who doesn't buy on ebay, a multi millionaire jewler who buys a ton from him. He made 1500.00 off the cards I sold him. I met him a few more times before I moved and still get texts weekly asking what I have to sell him. I didn't understand how the guy he sells to looks at craigslist but not ebay but it works out good for him.