NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-12-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell View Post
Congrats, Ryan!
Thanks Powell. I couldn’t have done it without you!
Old 06-12-2020, 06:55 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default T206 - The Big 4

Awesome !

Ryan

Look forward to seeing you in Philly in September.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 06-12-2020, 10:56 PM
Ryan

So awesome, congrats Ryan!
Old 06-12-2020, 11:09 PM

Nice congrats!
Old 06-13-2020, 08:30 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

That's a nice Plank but only graded 2.5? Got to has paper loss on the back.

Ryan, time to get the Cobb back if u don't have one yet.

Last edited by chriskim; 06-13-2020 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:50 AM
Jay Cee

Ok, a couple of questions. First off big Congrats and bigger kudos for posting on here as many collectors are private.

1. What's your favorite out of the group and why?

2. Is it safe to say we will not be seeing them all in SGC holders in the near future?

My favorite is the Plank, as that card hits my eye right.

P.s.
Please don't start collecting Ty Cobb, Joe Jackson, baseball currency, cabinets, and postcards. 😆
Old 06-13-2020, 08:57 AM
Richard L.

Won't be impressive until the Wagner is upgraded. Just kidding, this line came to mind immediately "they're real and spectacular". CONGRATS! And thanks for posting.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:52 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

This private sale would easily be over $1.5M..... just my guess.... but would worth every single penny!

Last edited by chriskim; 06-13-2020 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskim View Post
This private sale was over $1.5M
And, this is exactly why many people don’t post these things and remain private.

For the record, First, I do not know Chriskim- I have never spoken to him (assuming it’s a guy), don’t think I ever emailed or PMed with him, and would not know him if he hit me with a bat.

Second, this statement is incorrect. Yes, it is correct that I acquired both the Wagner and the Doyle in a private sale. But the number stated is quite inaccurate regardless of whether he is referring to the combined deal or just the Wagner - could be more or less, it’s nobody’s biz

Its amazing that there always needs to be one idiot.

And BTW Chriskim- I do have a cobb-cobb back. I acquired that too in a private sale. Why don’t you post some false BS about the price of that deal?! You are a moron.

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 06-13-2020 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:35 AM
Scott Russell

Not even sure what the point of "outing" the amount is even if you have accurate info.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-13-2020, 12:00 PM
J0hn H@rper

Like everyone else, totally floored

Question for all the pre-war people here (as I am not one!):

Is the Doyle, especially in grade 4, likely worth more than the Wagner here? I know it's exceedingly rare, but curious how the market is for those cards lately
Old 06-13-2020, 12:19 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
And, this is exactly why many people don’t post these things and remain private.

For the record, First, I do not know Chriskim- I have never spoken to him (assuming it’s a guy), don’t think I ever emailed or PMed with him, and would not know him if he hit me with a bat.

Second, this statement is incorrect. Yes, it is correct that I acquired both the Wagner and the Doyle in a private sale. But the number stated is quite inaccurate regardless of whether he is referring to the combined deal or just the Wagner - could be more or less, it’s nobody’s biz

Its amazing that there always needs to be one idiot.

And BTW Chriskim- I do have a cobb-cobb back. I acquired that too in a private sale. Why don’t you post some false BS about the price of that deal?! You are a moron.

Ryan, pls accept my apology, I meant to say your investment would have been at least $1.5M. Your Doyle is best of the best and definitely worth to invest on.
Old 06-13-2020, 01:55 PM
Po.well Mill.er

I never thought I’d sell either. Ryan’s a great guy and they are going to a good home.
Old 06-13-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I never thought I’d sell either. Ryan’s a great guy and they are going to a good home.
Wow you have an incredible collection.
Anything else for sale?

Last edited by Jdoggs; 06-13-2020 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-13-2020, 05:54 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Ryan, great pickups, so what took you so long? I was starting to think you had just forgotten about getting the Wagner.

On a serious note, if you don't mind sharing, I'm just curious with cards of this magnitude, how is the planned delivery? Shipping USPS? Flying out to pick up? Carrier Pigeon?

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 06-13-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
Ryan, great pickups, so what took you so long? I was starting to think you had just forgotten about getting the Wagner.

On a serious note, if you don't mind sharing, I'm just curious with cards of this magnitude, how is the planned delivery? Shipping USPS? Flying out to pick up? Carrier Pigeon?

DJ
Thanks DJ. To answer your question, I am flying out to pick them up in person.

Jay, you asked:

1. What's your favorite out of the group and why?

Not sure, but its not the Magie (although I love it). I really love my Plank, but its no Wagner.... not even close. And, believe it or not, I am almost as excited about the Doyle as I am the Wagner. The Doyle is flat-out impossible. As a T206 guy and someone who loves the super-rare, to me, getting the Doyle is unreal; based on what I could find, there have been 3 public sales in the past 20+ years, and I understand most Doyles are in major collection s and will never again see the market (at least not for many many years). But alas, I think my favorite is of course the Wagner -- its an F-ing Wagner for God's sake!

2. Is it safe to say we will not be seeing them all in SGC holders in the near future?

I won't cross any of these. I really don't cross anything (yet). Historically, the few times/year when I buy a raw card and want it graded, I go SGC. But I am so upset with them over their new population report, that I may look to PSA going forward; and if SGC continues to trip over themselves, which I am convinced is a huge reason PSA cards are valued over SGC, I may cross some of my more common SGC cards over to PSA down the line. The Doyle, however, will always remain in that flip; I dont think I will even go for the new flip.

Also, a few have asked if I will put together a complete, 524-card set. Yes, of course. How can I not do that? There literally cannot be more than 8-9ish of those out there (thanks to the Doyle), and I doubt there are actually more than 2-3 in existence currently; Powell just broke his up, so that is one less complete set out there. I am not really a set guy, but I feel required to put these together with their 520 friends. Anyone have a mid-grade, complete 520-card set they want to trade/sell?

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 06-14-2020 at 04:27 AM.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:48 PM

Wow! Incredible cards. Thanks for sharing, and congratulations!!!
Old 06-13-2020, 09:21 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Default T206 - The Big 4

Wow...just...wow...I will own a Wags someday...I hope lol.

Absolutely an amazing accomplishment. Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 06-13-2020 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:43 AM

Have there been any public sales of a complete 524 card T206 set and if so by which auction house?
Old 06-14-2020, 01:10 PM
Ron Rice

Default T206

Congrats, Ryan! Awesome cards!
Old 06-14-2020, 01:25 PM
Po.well Mill.er

Not a chance for a complete set from an auction house. I believe I’m the only one with all 524, but now 522. It took years to acquire the Wagner and the Doyle.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:40 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Not a chance for a complete set from an auction house. I believe I’m the only one with all 524, but now 522. It took years to acquire the Wagner and the Doyle.
The only one what, with all 524? I know of at least one other member, and probably more, with 524.
Old 06-14-2020, 02:55 PM
Po.well Mill.er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdoggs View Post
Have there been any public sales of a complete 524 card T206 set and if so by which auction house?
I’m not challenging you, Leon. I’ve never seen an auction house auction all 524 and no published registry I’ve ever seen has 524. It’s certainly possible in a private collection but very very rare and just the number of Doyle’s makes it very rare.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdoggs View Post
The only people that I know who have completed the 524 set are Larry and Jeff Fritsch and Powell. The Doyle was only known to Fritsch until Bill Huggins discovered the 2nd one in 1987 which Fritsch bought. I have never seen a set for sale either complete or by the individual cards.

Last edited by rats60; 06-14-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:21 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
The only people that I know who have completed the 524 set are Larry and Jeff Fritsch and Powell. The Doyle was only known to Fritsch until Bill Huggins discovered the 2nd one in 1987 which Fritsch bought. I have never seen a set for sale either complete or by the individual cards.
It was a different era (not sure if this counts) but my father had acquired 523 by 1972. Doyle error had not yet been discovered, of course. His set plus printing errors and other interesting oddballs sold through Lew Lipset in 1984.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMA View Post
It was a different era (not sure if this counts) but my father had acquired 523 by 1972. Doyle error had not yet been discovered, of course. His set plus printing errors and other interesting oddballs sold through Lew Lipset in 1984.
With ~57 Wagners there have been several complete sets and I have seen a few sold in the same auction. It is a great accomplishment. With only ~9 Doyles it becomes much tougher to get 524. There may be a few others in the last ~30 years that have done 524 but just not made it public. We know that 1 is in Richard Russell’s collection, so only 8 possible sets with 2 complete, assuming Fritsch hasn’t sold either of theirs, plus Powell’s now broken up. This is only the 10th known sale of a Doyle and only 2 of the 9 have been known to sell more than once. It is nice to see Ryan interested in filling out the 524 as the Doyle belongs in a set in my opinion.

Last edited by rats60; 06-14-2020 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:39 PM
Tony Ooten

Ryan,
I really appreciate you sharing your cards with the forum. Makes owning a Wagner feel "real" .............. like something "one of us" can achieve........ not to mention the Doyle, Plank, and Magie.

cheers, and have a great week everyone
Tony
Old 06-14-2020, 05:42 PM
Chad

Awesome. Congrats! Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:06 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I’m not challenging you, Leon. I’ve never seen an auction house auction all 524 and no published registry I’ve ever seen has 524. It’s certainly possible in a private collection but very very rare and just the number of Doyle’s makes it very rare.
No worries, Powell. Having managed this forum for around 17 yrs I have gotten to know some hobbyists. I even remember a few names (I suck at remembering names).

And a shout out to Ryan, which I should've done before. Congrats. Even with having the means it's not an easy task.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:48 PM

Congrats Ryan, as a former member of the 523 club, the Doyle is beyond great. The Wagner is a Wagner, but pales in comparison to the rarity of the Doyle.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:36 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Congratulations Ryan.
You been a hell of a collector and give great advise and feedback
Amazing to see them

Thanks for sharing

Jeff
Old 06-14-2020, 09:59 PM
Rob

Nice cards, gang. Don't forget Pfeffer Chicaco, Murr'y, and Dopner.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:40 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Nice cards, gang. Don't forget Pfeffer Chicaco, Murr'y, and Dopner.

I don't think those are included in the 524 .
Do all T206 guys think those are needed for the set to be complete? Seems there are probably some other variations/misprints too.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:03 AM
+0m J()rd@N

Ryan, simply awesome and thanks for sharing.

How do you store/view your collection of T206?
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 06-15-2020, 01:02 PM

Cards are in-hand: I flew to Detroit and met Powell in person at the airport. We shot the breeze for a little, looked at some cards, and now I am headed back. Ultimately, neither of us wanted to trust these to the mail/Fedex. So awesome to see them in person and to hold them; the Doyle is particularly nice, with the Wagner, it’s just amazing to be holding something so storied. Great day!

Bob- I don’t really believe in those variations- that is, I don’t think those print anomalies are needed for a complete set. And where does it end? Missing red ink, Doyle with the . I will stick to the mainstream 524.

Bigdaddy- I prefer Flickr for online galleries. The actual cards themselves sit in a safe. Sadly, While I look at pics on my phone and Flickr account, I don’t look at the actual, physical all cards often

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 06-15-2020 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:27 PM
Troy Rambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post

I am not really a set guy, but I feel required to put these together with their 520 friends. Anyone have a mid-grade, complete 520-card set they want to trade/sell?

Not today on the 520 but I did think about it at the Philly show in February. Decided to improve my set from 4.25-5.0 before I even think about selling/trading it. It's on the registry if you (or anyone) wants to see it. Same username. I'm a few cards short of having all 520 scans out there but feel free to take a look if you're so inclined.

Again, congrats on the pickups! Those are just incredible!!
Old 06-15-2020, 06:04 PM
Marc S.

Congratulations on a spectacular pair! Amazing eye candy, wonderful additions.

Congratulations!!!
Old 06-15-2020, 09:01 PM

Congrats Ryan I like posts with huge acquisitions like the Wagner!
Any pics of cards in hand?
Old 06-15-2020, 09:54 PM
Rob

Ryan, glad y'all were able to make the deal. As far as variations, Anson had an interesting blog post on the Pfeffer Chicaco here http://www.prewarcards.com/2018/08/0...-chicago-cubs/

As long as you are not going for a Beckett set, you should be okay. I know I collect T206 without regard to a set. There are so many fun ways to collect T206.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:59 PM
Bruce

Wow! Congrats
Old 06-16-2020, 01:15 AM
Connor
Connor

Congrats bud.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:48 AM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

They always say to get the key cards in the set first if you can, but jeez!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations Ryan!!!!!

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 06-16-2020, 03:54 AM

Default T206 Big 4

Congratulations on reaching the top of baseball collecting Everest! Trent King
Old 06-17-2020, 09:41 AM

Default Ryan

no words can do this justice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can not be happier for you my friend!

just wow, wow
Old 06-17-2020, 10:30 AM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

hey, Ryan.

What's your net worth? How much cash do you have on hand? Annual income? How many square feet is your house?

***this was dripping with sarcasm, before anyone asks or reacts***
Old 06-17-2020, 10:33 AM
Rob

There's a whole cottage industry based upon what cards sell for. I don't think it's rude for someone to ask or speculate how much you paid for a baseball card. If you'd rather not say, that's okay too.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:05 AM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

Quote:
There's a whole cottage industry based upon what cards sell for. I don't think it's rude for someone to ask or speculate how much you paid for a baseball card. If you'd rather not say, that's okay too.
I think private sales are generally private for a reason; and that asking anyone about their finances (which is ultimately what that is) is beyond rude.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:25 AM

Congrats! That is amazing. Acquiring the Wagner and Doyle at the same time has to be one of the greatest transactions in hobby history.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:51 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by phikappapsi View Post
I think private sales are generally private for a reason; and that asking anyone about their finances (which is ultimately what that is) is beyond rude.
I doubt he took his last million and bought some baseball cards. I disagree with you about it being "beyond rude". It doesn't leave any room for actions that are actually rude. Take care, I need to get back to work so I can buy some more baseball cards. Rob
Old 06-17-2020, 01:15 PM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

Quote:
I doubt he took his last million and bought some baseball cards. I disagree with you about it being "beyond rude". It doesn't leave any room for actions that are actually rude. Take care, I need to get back to work so I can buy some more baseball cards. Rob
I must come from a different time/place. I was simply raised that another person's pockets are absolutely none of my business.