NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-27-2022, 12:40 PM
J0sh.ua Le0nard

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
That's sort of a question with no answer.
How much would I spend on a card?
For the right card? And with unlimited budget? Who knows?

The more important questions are
How much could I spend on a card?

That's variable, and a much smaller number than I'd like.

Or
How much would/could I spend on any particular card.

Which is even more variable.

I also happen to be more than a bit cheap at times. Currently I'm wrestling with vg common T206s being almost 100. When I started that would have got me a Goudey Ruth. OR 10 T206 Hofers.
That's the problem I am having getting back into the hobby. With such a large gap in time between card purchases, it's difficult to spend 20-100x what I used to be able to pay.

It's all relative really:

THEN: "I didn't spend 500 on a Goudey Ruth because I was just a kid and didn't have enough money."

NOW: "I won't spend 10k on a Goudey Ruth because I HAVE kids and don't have enough money."

Also finding that (and perhaps this deserves its own thread) that the price of tier 2/3 t206 HOFers are relatively depressed compared to t206 commons in similar conditions. If I were trying to pick up cards right now, I'd be going for the Huggins and Jennings of the world over a Kroh. But yeah, 100 bucks for mid-grade commons.
Old 01-27-2022, 03:36 PM
Sean Costello

$146,000
Old 01-27-2022, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
$146,000
$145,999, because then I would be reassured that at least someone is willing to spend more for a card than I would.

Brian
Old 01-27-2022, 05:46 PM
David M.

I used to have a self imposed limit of $500. But then as cards rose in price I thought, $1000 is the limit. But I've already edged past that on a few cards. It really depends on the card and the price. Recently I've dropped the grade I'm willing to accept (with good eye appeal) in order to be able to afford cards I want for my collection.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:56 AM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Also finding that (and perhaps this deserves its own thread) that the price of tier 2/3 t206 HOFers are relatively depressed compared to t206 commons in similar conditions. If I were trying to pick up cards right now, I'd be going for the Huggins and Jennings of the world over a Kroh. But yeah, 100 bucks for mid-grade commons.[/QUOTE]

It's a good point. I backed away from T206 awhile back aside from a few projects I've worked on for a long time. I think they do catch up as you say and surprised that some have not already. Some have already done so and not that Lajoie is a low level HOFer, but it wasn't that long ago that he was a bigger step down from the others. Griffith was a strong buy when I was building the set a few years ago.

Last edited by Tao_Moko; 01-28-2022 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-28-2022, 12:28 PM
J0sh.ua Le0nard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao_Moko View Post
Also finding that (and perhaps this deserves its own thread) that the price of tier 2/3 t206 HOFers are relatively depressed compared to t206 commons in similar conditions. If I were trying to pick up cards right now, I'd be going for the Huggins and Jennings of the world over a Kroh. But yeah, 100 bucks for mid-grade commons.

It's a good point. I backed away from T206 awhile back aside from a few projects I've worked on for a long time. I think they do catch up as you say and surprised that some have not already. Some have already done so and not that Lajoie is a low level HOFer, but it wasn't that long ago that he was a bigger step down from the others. Griffith was a strong buy when I was building the set a few years ago.
[/QUOTE]

Aside from fact that "value" is whatever someone is willing to pay, I think there is a cyclical nature. Guys like Dahlen, Chase, Ciccote going for as much or more than low tier HOFers surprised me on my reentry. Probably bc there is more interest in things that people think SHOULD go up in value...but then that probably creates the increase by itself and it becomes cemented.

Yeah, Griffith cards are great deals. Give me a Griffith or a McGraw any day.

Last edited by joshleon; 01-28-2022 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:42 PM
Ray VDB

Actually surprised at the snarky responses to what was on the surface a perfectly fine question to ask. Perhaps those that answered cynically thought the OP was asking a cynical question, or perhaps they are protecting their privacy which is totally understandable, or perhaps the twitter mob mentality is infiltrating Net54. I'll take the high road ...

Generally speaking, it does depend of course whether one is collecting for the long term or a quick flip. Flippers might be more willing to spend more thinking they can make a quick buck. It also depends considerably on how much disposable income someone has at the time (and/or how good they are at hiding large purchases from their significant other).

The most I've ever spent on one card is about $400 and I've been collecting for 20+ years. My collection is pretty diverse but definitely at the low end of the grading scale ("buy the card not the holder" mentality). In recent years I've moved away from Baseball/Hockey to mostly Soccer because that is where I still see value. Most cards I've purchased are in the $5-50 range, mostly vintage but a few modern as well. If one of my "holy grail" cards came up for auction, I still don't think I would spend more than $1000 on it, but that's the shallow end I swim in. I collect what I like but also with an eye on my collection increasing in value over time and having a nice albeit small money-making activity to do in retirement if and when I liquidate.