NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-28-2022, 06:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Allen Iverson with multiple championships and a longer career.

Optimists see Doncic's ceiling as a Euro-/Lite version of Magic Johnson, but for me that's a big stretch. He's a tall, thick point guard, but the comparison doesn't go beyond that for me.
Other than LeBron, I don't see anyone ever being as versatile as Magic was. He was a point guard who often moved down to power forward in the half court set, and in a pinch he could play freaking center and score 40 points in the NBA final, still one of the most amazing things I ever saw. He was a revolutionary too, nobody that big had ever played the point that well or maybe at all, nobody had ever ripped the ball out of the net and started a fast break off a made basket. And I don't think anyone had stood at the top of the key waiting for his forwards to cut and then whipped the ball between five people into someone's hands for a layup. If anything he is underrated lol.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-28-2022 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:56 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Other than LeBron, I don't see anyone ever being as versatile as Magic was. He was a point guard who often moved down to power forward in the half court set, and in a pinch he could play freaking center and score 40 points in the NBA final, still one of the most amazing things I ever saw. He was a revolutionary too, nobody that big had ever played the point that well or maybe at all, nobody had ever ripped the ball out of the net and started a fast break off a made basket. And I don't think anyone had stood at the top of the key waiting for his forwards to cut and then whipped the ball between five people into someone's hands for a layup. If anything he is underrated lol.
I totally agree! I'm glad you mentioned LBJ though...the Lakers are struggling mightily this year but what he is doing at his age is truly remarkable: switching from point guard to center and dominating everyone at the position except the most elite big men.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 01-28-2022, 07:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I totally agree! I'm glad you mentioned LBJ though...the Lakers are struggling mightily this year but what he is doing at his age is truly remarkable: switching from point guard to center and dominating everyone at the position except the most elite big men.
I understand the dislike for the man, but he has been and still is an astonishingly good basketball player, the complete package.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

BTW I saw Magic in college in 1979. It was like seeing the game through new eyes, he just played it in a way I had not seen before. I had a similar experience seeing David Thompson as a freshman, he had an unreal height on his jump shot and at least on this afternoon was just drilling everything in sight, scored 40.

Old 01-28-2022, 07:21 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
BTW I saw Magic in college in 1979. It was like seeing the game through new eyes, he just played it in a way I had not seen before. I had a similar experience seeing David Thompson as a freshman, he had an unreal height on his jump shot and at least on this afternoon was just drilling everything in sight, scored 40.
Very cool–I never saw him play live, bu I've heard that David Thompson in person was something to behold.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 01-28-2022, 07:24 PM

Quote:
I had a similar experience watching Larry Bird play in all his home games his senior year at Indiana State (I was a freshman at the university).

It was something special to experience in-person. I've never seen anything quite like it.

Tim
Old 01-28-2022, 07:29 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhss View Post
I had a similar experience watching Larry Bird play in all his home games his senior year at Indiana State (I was a freshman at the university).

It was something special to experience in-person. I've never seen anything quite like it.

Tim
I saw him as a pro but not as a collegian, would have liked to have seen that.

Old 01-28-2022, 07:49 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
I did too. MSU and Illinois were 1 and 2 in the country and the Illini won on a jumper by Eddie Johnson in the last few seconds. Eddie went on to have a great NBA career with the Suns and is now a sportscaster.

As for Doncic, he's made 1st team All NBA two of his first three years. Lebron and Magic never did that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2022, 07:55 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Though he wasn't necessarily tall enough to go down low and play center against the likes of Chamberlain or Russell, I'd throw Oscar Robertson's hat into the ring. The man was a triple-double machine, back when people didn't really even know what that was yet. Of course that was early in his NBA career, and later on he fell more back into just acting as a point guard. And he was 6'-5", so definitely not short for back then.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
I did too. MSU and Illinois were 1 and 2 in the country and the Illini won on a jumper by Eddie Johnson in the last few seconds. Eddie went on to have a great NBA career with the Suns and is now a sportscaster.

As for Doncic, he's made 1st team All NBA two of his first three years. Lebron and Magic never did that.

I saw Magic in Ann Arbor. Funny, Michigan wasn't that good but as I recall won the game on a jumper by Mike McGee who went on to the NBA as well. Similar games, crazy.

My then girlfriend, who was visiting from out of town, did not want to go. I was like, if a 6 foot 9 point guard they call Magic is in town, you don't pass up the chance to see him.

Old 01-28-2022, 08:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Though he wasn't necessarily tall enough to go down low and play center against the likes of Chamberlain or Russell, I'd throw Oscar Robertson's hat into the ring. The man was a triple-double machine, back when people didn't really even know what that was yet. Of course that was early in his NBA career, and later on he fell more back into just acting as a point guard. And he was 6'-5", so definitely not short for back then.
If I recall correctly, he and West both debuted in the same game. I wish I had seen Oscar although I remember him from Bucks playoff games.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-28-2022 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:08 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
If I recall correctly, he and West both debuted in the same game. I wish I had seen Oscar although I remember him from Bucks playoff games.
Yeah I only saw Big O on TV. I do remember though going to see Bob Pettit play for the St. Louis Hawks in 1964. Looking at the box score Lenny Wilkins played for the Hawks that year so I guess I saw him too.

Old 01-28-2022, 10:06 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Another nonsensical comment. I can't help but wonder if you are as much of a self-righteous prick in real life as you come across on this board.

Like, if you go to dinner with someone and you disagree about the quality of the food, do you proceed to tell them how they "obviously don't know cuisine"?

Or, at breakfast, do you proselytize to whomever you're with about how your statistical analysis proves that you and you alone have determined the correct milk-to-cereal ratio and if anyone disagrees, "you couldn't care less"?

Readers will notice that you have failed to back up your ridiculous position with your own beloved statistics, and instead have resorted to baseless insults. I wonder why?

Let's compare their career stats per 36 minutes:

FG% Morant +1.6%

3PT% Morant +.1%

FT% Morant +1.8%

Rebounds Doncic +4.1

Assist to Turnover Ratio
Morant 2.19:1
Doncic 1.95:1

Steals Doncic +.4

Blocks Doncic +.1

Pts Doncic +4.9

Consider also their qualities as on and off the court leaders, and it will make sense why Morant would be widely preferred among GMs if an anonymous poll was taken today.

Or, perhaps you could use your Silicon Valley VC contacts to reach out to Zach Kleiman and ask him if he would trade Morant for Doncic. Then let us know the number of expletives that his negative response to you contains.

The only person I see casting insults in this thread is you. I gave my opinion on Luka vs Morant. You are more than free to disagree with me. Again, I really don't care. But let's not pretend like I'm the one in here calling you names.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:34 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
The only person I see casting insults in this thread is you. I gave my opinion on Luka vs Morant. You are more than free to disagree with me. Again, I really don't care. But let's not pretend like I'm the one in here calling you names.

Quote:
You're a highlight reel watcher.
Quote:
You don't know basketball
Quote:
there's a lot more to the game of basketball than slashing and cutting to the rim for poster dunks
Old 01-28-2022, 11:08 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

OK, let's get this straight. I said you were a "highlight reel watcher" who doesn't really know the game of basketball.

You called me, "insufferable", "ignorant", "obnoxious", "nonsensical", and "a self-righteous prick" among a slew of other cutting remarks.

Does this help clarify how this conversation has gone so far?

Quote:
Lol!! You are insufferable, and this comment is so ignorant it's not worth continuing the debate even if you weren't so obnoxious...
Quote:
Another nonsensical comment. I can't help but wonder if you are as much of a self-righteous prick in real life as you come across on this board...
FWIW, this conversation is over. You are going on my ignore list for what should be obvious reasons. I'm not going to engage with you. Feel free to continue with the personal insults if you'd like though.
Old 01-29-2022, 07:57 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Yep. Watching Showtime all those years here in LA on local TV (yeah, that existed), it was just incredible, like I felt watching Dr. J with the Nets as a kid in NYC. The man was a magician out there. Grabs the ball and somehow it ends up in Worthy's hands for a finger roll or in Scott's hands for a jumper, or into Kareem for a skyhook.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-29-2022 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:58 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Yep. Watching Showtime all those years here in LA on local TV (yeah, that existed), it was just incredible, like I felt watching Dr. J with the Nets as a kid in NYC. The man was a magician out there. Grabs the ball and somehow it ends up in Worthy's hands for a finger roll or in Scott's hands for a jumper, or into Kareem for a skyhook.

I've never seen this Magic Johnson card. Very cool.

I'm also looking forward to the series they're putting together on HBOMax, about the showtime Lakers. Should be a great watch.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 01-29-2022, 09:50 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I've never seen this Magic Johnson card. Very cool.

I'm also looking forward to the series they're putting together on HBOMax, about the showtime Lakers. Should be a great watch.
He and Bird were in the massive Sportscaster set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Birdsc.jpg (72.0 KB, 435 views)

Old 01-29-2022, 09:56 AM
Peter Spaeth

Here's another Magic you don't see every day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg magic83basf.jpg (75.6 KB, 431 views)

Old 01-29-2022, 11:11 AM
Martin
Martin L.ee

It’s a lot sexier to have a hot commodity that is active and can present volatility based on their current greatness. It’s always been the saving grace for modern card collecting. Vintage is like owning real estate. Modern is your crypto
Old 01-29-2022, 11:35 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goudey77 View Post
It’s a lot sexier to have a hot commodity that is active and can present volatility based on their current greatness. It’s always been the saving grace for modern card collecting. Vintage is like owning real estate. Modern is your crypto
I think Cars is a better comparison. The Modern market, wants to show off the latest Bugatti, Lamborghini, etc

The Vintage would rather showoff a Bizzarini or a Ferrari 250 GT California

Donscards.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:42 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I think Cars is a better comparison. The Modern market, wants to show off the latest Bugatti, Lamborghini, etc

The Vintage would rather showoff a Bizzarini or a Ferrari 250 GT California
I like the example Martin used better. Crypto could be worthless tomorrow just like a modern card. That Lambo and Bugatti are not going to lose 99.9% of their value like 99.9% of modern cards.

Do love me some exotic cars though.
Old 01-29-2022, 03:56 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I like the example Martin used better. Crypto could be worthless tomorrow just like a modern card. That Lambo and Bugatti are not going to lose 99.9% of their value like 99.9% of modern cards.

Do love me some exotic cars though.
Very True. And don't get me started on some of the classics! I think if I was a millionaire all I would buy are cards and cars

Donscards.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:00 PM

I just watched Doncic play the Pacers and it's no wonder he plays well as many times as the refs let him get away with walking. A LOT of players could be better than they currently are if they got away with what Doncic did tonight.....

David
Old 01-29-2022, 08:24 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post
I just watched Doncic play the Pacers and it's no wonder he plays well as many times as the refs let him get away with walking. A LOT of players could be better than they currently are if they got away with what Doncic did tonight.....

David
Yup. He's been given that treatment since entering the league, too.
Old 01-30-2022, 01:23 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

The refs do not let Doncic get away with anything, let alone walking. It is well known that they are overly harsh on him. The refs HATE Doncic. He complains way too much. He's one of the biggest complainers in the league. The refs are out to get him. This is a well known fact to anyone who pays attention to the NBA today. It's one of his biggest criticisms and probably the biggest flaw in his game.

The entire league "walks" with the ball nowadays. At least if you're coming at it from prior standards. Just watch Giannis euro step his way to the rim with ONE dribble from half court (literally). They've gotten pretty liberal with the definition of traveling. It's just how the game is played today.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:35 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Yup. He's been given that treatment since entering the league, too.
I appreciate both of your insights. I had no idea there was a zebra conspiracy to make Luka look good. Are there others too on the referees' player improvement list? Please keep us informed as this develops, it could be big.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:45 AM
Ben North

Quote:
I appreciate both of your insights. I had no idea there was a zebra conspiracy to make Luka look good. Are there others too on the referees' player improvement list? Please keep us informed as this develops, it could be big.
LOL, that is hilarious. All sports have had the free pass players and it is a pretty long list. it just depends if you like that player or if they are on your favorite team if you care or "see" it. For me the best part is the excuses people make for those players not getting special treatment when it is beyond obvious they are.

I have no comment on Luka because I haven't watched basketball in years.
Old 01-30-2022, 12:42 PM

To me, the NBA has been rigged for years. Certain players (usually with big shoe contracts) get calls (or not) that other players do (or don't).

Doncic carried the ball once last night and the refs didn't call it. Later, he carried the ball again and was caught. He cried almost as much as LeBron cries. Later, he walked and the refs didn't call it.

Three obvious travelling violations and only one is called and Doncic cried about it.

This is why I don't watch any NBA games other than when the Pacers are playing.

David
Old 01-30-2022, 12:47 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post
To me, the NBA has been rigged for years. Certain players (usually with big shoe contracts) get calls (or not) that other players do (or don't).

Doncic carried the ball once last night and the refs didn't call it. Later, he carried the ball again and was caught. He cried almost as much as LeBron cries. Later, he walked and the refs didn't call it.

Three obvious travelling violations and only one is called and Doncic cried about it.

This is why I don't watch any NBA games other than when the Pacers are playing.

David
That's one of the things I strongly dislike about Doncic–he complains constantly despite being given the superstar treatment from the refs. At least LeBron and Steph Curry have earned it by being great for an extended period...
Old 01-30-2022, 12:47 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Thats been the case forever. Look at the last last shot Jordan took against Utah--he basically shoved the defender to the ground (watch the hand on the hip) to clear his shot. Anyone not named "Jordan" gets a whistle.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-30-2022 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-30-2022, 01:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Thats been the case forever. Look at the last last shot Jordan took against Utah--he basically shoved the defender to the ground (watch the hand on the hip) to clear his shot. Anyone not named "Jordan" gets a whistle.

I swear McHale walked every time he got the ball in the low post. Looks like Jordan also takes a shuffle step to the left after he stopped dribbling?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-30-2022 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-30-2022, 01:48 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
I swear McHale walked every time he got the ball in the low post. Looks like Jordan also takes a shuffle step to the left after he stopped dribbling?
Yes, he definitely traveled there!
Old 01-30-2022, 08:42 PM
Bob C.

Quote:

The palming is ridiculous as well, but never gets called.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:11 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Saw one!

I saw one of these rare cards at the mall show in Portland yesterday.
A collector buddy who deals with these high end shiny basketball had just made a big acquisition. Some Blue Prizm sumthin that he said was worth 20k.

So I asked him about Doncic and he did say that Luca was the best player in the league. And the potential to be an all-time great as long as he didn’t get hurt.

I wonder if he had an incentive to say that…considering what he was holding.

But I did explain that my collection of old baseball cards features guys that don’t have to worry about a knee or Achilles injury, since they are already dead.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 01-31-2022, 12:00 AM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post

But I did explain that my collection of old baseball cards features guys that don’t have to worry about a knee or Achilles injury, since they are already dead.
This is exactly why I transitioned to vintage.
These younger and current players could lose value overnight by an injury, some political whatever, beating their spouse/ significant other, dog fighting etc..no bueno.

I’m sticking to the “real estate “ from now on.
Successful transactions: sycks22, charlietheextervminator, Scocs, Thromdog, trdcrdkid, mybuddyinc, troutbum97, Natedog, Kingcobb, usernamealreadytaken, t206fanatic, asoriano, rsdill2, hatchetman325, cobbcobb13, dbfirstman, Blunder19, Scott L. ,Eggoman, ncinin, vintagewhitesox, aloondilana, btcarfagno, ZiggerZagger, blametony, shammus, Kris19, brewing, rootsearcher60, Pat R , sportscardpete , Leon , OriolesHOF , Gobucsmagic74, Pilot172000, Chesbro41, scmavl,t206kid,3-2-count,GoldenAge50s
Old 01-31-2022, 04:42 AM

This thread has gotten off the rails a bit. To bring it back home some - I have a 13 year old who is real into modern, especially basketball and football and he likes “busting wax”. He asked to make a deal that if he made honor roll, would I get him a “good” wax box of cards. I asked him what “good” meant, and he considers “good” to be $500+. I told him I would be very proud if he got honor roll but there is no way I am buying him a $500 lottery ticket. I told him I would get him a card - at least that way we know he had something, rather than a chance at something.

Based on this thread, and although I consider all modern effective lottery tickets, we got a Ja Morant card. He appears to be 20% of the price of Doncic and based on this thread, he appears to be better than 20% the player. I think it’s a waste, but if my kid studies harder, keeps developing a work ethic, and has scholastic success, then that’s enough upside for me

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 01-31-2022 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-31-2022, 08:03 AM
Al Stein

Well done. I've given my sons a card for Christmas each year since the 90s. Sometimes it was Kris Bryant but other times it was Mike Trout. They both still have them all and overall their collections have done well. Now I have started with my granddaughters haha.

Last edited by Gorditadogg; 01-31-2022 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-03-2022, 12:50 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
It's called a "gather", and it's allowed.
Old 02-03-2022, 12:52 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
This thread has gotten off the rails a bit. To bring it back home some - I have a 13 year old who is real into modern, especially basketball and football and he likes “busting wax”. He asked to make a deal that if he made honor roll, would I get him a “good” wax box of cards. I asked him what “good” meant, and he considers “good” to be $500+. I told him I would be very proud if he got honor roll but there is no way I am buying him a $500 lottery ticket. I told him I would get him a card - at least that way we know he had something, rather than a chance at something.

Based on this thread, and although I consider all modern effective lottery tickets, we got a Ja Morant card. He appears to be 20% of the price of Doncic and based on this thread, he appears to be better than 20% the player. I think it’s a waste, but if my kid studies harder, keeps developing a work ethic, and has scholastic success, then that’s enough upside for me
Good choice
Old 02-03-2022, 10:19 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
It's called a "gather", and it's allowed.
You have no idea what you're talking about. And I thought you put me on your ignore list? It appears your compulsion to assert your self-superiority has gotten the best of you yet again.
Old 02-03-2022, 10:28 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Strange, I thought this Forum was all about prewar baseball cards.
Old 02-03-2022, 11:10 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Strange, I thought this Forum was all about prewar baseball cards.
Well, you got the bonus plan.

Or not...
Old 02-03-2022, 01:23 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

https://official.nba.com/new-languag...ng-violations/

Feel free to educate yourself. If you'd like to. Or just continue shitting on those who already have and pretending you know what you're talking about.
Old 02-03-2022, 03:15 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
https://official.nba.com/new-languag...ng-violations/

Feel free to educate yourself. If you'd like to. Or just continue shitting on those who already have and pretending you know what you're talking about.
The NBA rulebook is a contradictory, inconsistent mess. Everyone in and around the game knows it. If you've spent time playing the game at any organized level, you would recognize a traveling violation.

Please go back to ignoring my messages and have a great day!
Old 02-03-2022, 03:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

It looks like the gather rule is from 2016. I'd be shocked if that move was not technically travelling in 1998. Then again, no referee is going to call it on Michael Jordan in that circumstance so it might as well be legal.

Interestingly, in the documentary Jordan denied he pushed off lol. But maybe there is a contrarian take on that? Like Russell was trying to get the foul call? I don't know it doesn't seem likely he would have flopped in that circumstance.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-03-2022 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-03-2022, 06:27 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
It looks like the gather rule is from 2016. I'd be shocked if that move was not technically travelling in 1998. Then again, no referee is going to call it on Michael Jordan in that circumstance so it might as well be legal.

Interestingly, in the documentary Jordan denied he pushed off lol. But maybe there is a contrarian take on that? Like Russell was trying to get the foul call? I don't know it doesn't seem likely he would have flopped in that circumstance.
No, Jordan pushed off and the refs didn't call it. When you go to Utah don't bring it up.

Old 02-03-2022, 07:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
No, Jordan pushed off and the refs didn't call it. When you go to Utah don't bring it up.

Al, that was certainly my impression watching the game, and that's what it looks like on the replay.

Old 02-04-2022, 01:16 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Jordans hand may have touched Russell, but it couldn't possibly be what sent Russell to the floor. Jordan crossed him up. It was Russell's own momentum that took him down. It wasn't a flop either. I get that the hand looks deceiving, but if you try to imagine how much force could have possibly been generated by Jordans hand in that instance, it couldn't have been much.

Try to look for the other angle of the play. The one from the side. It shows it better. There is no pushing off at all. He barely touches him.

Last edited by Snowman; 02-04-2022 at 01:25 AM.
Old 02-04-2022, 02:17 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
That's true. I got the postcard a few days later.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”