NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-06-2019, 07:54 AM
Jason Seidl

Default Ebay Seller Tax Question

If you are a small seller do you still have to set up taxes? Do certain states have cut offs to do this? I stopped selling a while ago and always kept my selling below 200 lots and $10K a year not to have eBay send any info to the government.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:13 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Claim Everything
Old 11-06-2019, 08:35 AM
Jason Seidl

I have stopped selling as it way too difficult to file my taxes when I have no clue what I paid for a card in 1988 that I just sold. Too much work. I filed one year when I sold a ton of stuff. I had to resort to a fair value assessment of most items. That took me forever to put together (essentially I had to find three similar sales on record for each item for my accountant).
Old 11-06-2019, 09:14 AM
tony

I am a Canadian e-bayer and have a U.S. PO box in Washington.
I have to pay tax on my purchases. Do I just kiss that tax goodbye?
Old 11-06-2019, 09:30 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey City Giants View Post
If you are a small seller do you still have to set up taxes? Do certain states have cut offs to do this? I stopped selling a while ago and always kept my selling below 200 lots and $10K a year not to have eBay send any info to the government.
As a seller, you don't need to do anything to set up sales tax. Ebay will do everything instead, and charge all buyers for sales tax depending on your location. It doesn't matter how much you sell. Everything will be taxed (unless the buyer has a resale cert) by ebay.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:10 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
As a seller, you don't need to do anything to set up sales tax. Ebay will do everything instead, and charge all buyers for sales tax depending on your location. It doesn't matter how much you sell. Everything will be taxed (unless the buyer has a resale cert) by ebay.
Not exactly; buyers will be taxed by their delivery location, not the seller's location. Seller may have to collect tax independently only on sales to buyers in their own state.
Not all states have sales tax laws passed that require internet companies to collect and remit. Oregon has no state sales tax, one major reason the Vault was built there. They even promote it openly that it's a way to avoid sales taxes.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:27 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

It depends on what type of tax you are talking about.
Sales tax - do nothing. eBay does all of the work.
Income tax - $10k is a significant number. You should be getting a tax form from PayPal for that amount. You’ll have to claim it on your income taxes but would have to speak to an accountant as to how it affects you in your state.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:06 AM
Greg Z@y@tz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
Income tax - $10k is a significant number. You should be getting a tax form from PayPal for that amount. You’ll have to claim it on your income taxes but would have to speak to an accountant as to how it affects you in your state.
This is NOT QUITE correct.

In NY, ebay started collecting NY Sales Tax on June 1st, I ASSUME that I will still have to file for any and all NY State sales tax owed prior to that date for this tax year, right? Other states were phased in at different times, too.

Or am I missing something???
Old 11-07-2019, 08:02 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggoman View Post
This is NOT QUITE correct.

In NY, ebay started collecting NY Sales Tax on June 1st, I ASSUME that I will still have to file for any and all NY State sales tax owed prior to that date for this tax year, right? Other states were phased in at different times, too.

Or am I missing something???
That’s really a question for an accountant. I have a registered business in ny since 1999 and I have collected sales tax in ny when I sold something here and paid that tax to the state. For out of state sales I have not. So I don’t know your situation - whether you have a registered business, what state you operate in, etc. There are a lot of variables there. I would encourage you to see an accountant so everything is done correctly.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:08 AM
Greg Z@y@tz

Quote:
That’s really a question for an accountant. I have a registered business in ny since 1999 and I have collected sales tax in ny when I sold something here and paid that tax to the state. For out of state sales I have not. So I don’t know your situation - whether you have a registered business, what state you operate in, etc. There are a lot of variables there. I would encourage you to see an accountant so everything is done correctly.
I am registered in NYS and do have an accountant for those exact reasons.

It just seems to me that because eBay phased collecting NY Sales Tax in mid-Year, I collected sales tax for 5 months and they collected it for the rest.

I will have to file AND pay those first 5 months or so and ebay the balance of 2019-2020 tax year. It's A BIT messy...
Old 11-07-2019, 09:58 AM
Mark Arentsen

Default I'm still on the hook for the PayPal fee

Quote:
Just experienced a NY state sale where eBay charged the buyer NY state sales tax and then automatically withdrew that sales tax amount from my PayPal account. I was charged the PayPal fee for the entire purchase, which included the sales tax. So, I got stuck with paying the PayPal fee on the NY state sales tax. This really stinks.