NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Default OT: Baseball's latest drug scandal

Posted By: Chris Counts

I figured with all this talk about football, I could slip in an off-topic baseball post. Here's a story that, in my opinion, deserves a whole lot of press. If this isn't evidence that the powers-that-be in baseball aren't concerned about performance-enhancing drugs, I don't know what is ... by the way, for those unfamiliar with the effects of ritalin, the most common ADHD drug, they are strikingly similar to those of cocaine and speed ...

Stimulant exemptions in baseball on the rise

By RONALD BLUM, AP Baseball Writer

Baseball authorized nearly 8 percent of its players to use drugs for ADHD last season, which allowed them to take otherwise banned stimulants.

A total of 106 exemptions for banned drugs were given to major leaguers claiming attention deficit hyperactivity disorder from the end of the 2007 season until the end of the 2008 season, according to a report released Friday by the sports independent drug-testing administrator. Thats up from 103 therapeutic use exemptions (TUEs) for ADHD in 2007, according to figures cited by baseball officials before a congressional committee last year.

"This is incredible. This is quite spectacular. There seems to be an epidemic of ADD in major league baseball," said Dr. Gary Wadler, chairman of the committee that determines the banned-substances list for the World Anti-Doping Agency. He recommended an independent panel be establishedWADA recommends at least three doctorsto review TUE requests in what he termed a sport that grew up on greenies.

"Ive been in private practice for a lot of years. I can count on one hand the number of individuals that have ADD, he said." To say that (7.86 percent) of major league baseball players have attention deficit disorder is crying out of an explanation. It is to me as an internist so off the map of my own experience.

Rob Manfred, baseballs executive vice president of labor relations, said it would be a mistake to compare ADHD in baseball with statistics for the general population.

We are all male. We are far younger than the general population, and we have far better access to medical care than the general population," Manfred said.

The National Institute of Mental Health estimates 3 percent to 5 percent of children have ADHD, according to its Web site. There were 1,348 players subject to testing last season, according to a baseball official who spoke on condition of anonymity because the figure was not in the report. That was down slightly from 1,354 the previous year. There were a total of 19 positives from 3,486 tests, according to the report. There were 14 positives for banned stimulantsall first-time offenders, who are not subject to suspension. Five players were suspended for performance-enhancing drugs.

Pitchers J.C. Romero and Sergio Mitre were penalized this week after testing positive for androstenedione, which came from contaminated supplements they purchased over-the-counter. Last season, San Francisco catcher Eliezer Alfonso, Colorado catcher Humberto Cota and Florida pitcher Henry Owens also were penalized. The drugs that tripped them up were Nandrolone, Stanozolol and testosterone, although it wasnt announced which player tested positive for what drug.

"Pretty low numbers," union head Donald Fehr said of the five major league suspensions.

Rep. Henry Waxman, who chaired hearings into drug use in baseball, said he remained concerned about the large number of exemptions. "But overall, I am pleased with the steps taken by MLB and the players union to strengthen their drug testing program and eliminate the use of steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs," he added. Rep. John Tierney, who brought up the issue last year, was not available for comment.

Just eight TUEs were granted for illnesses other than ADHD: three for hypertension, three for hypogonadism, one for post-concussion syndrome and one for metabolic myopathy. The 114 overall TUEs was up from 111 the previous year. All of the prescriptions for stimulants are the result of prescriptions written by doctors, and they also have to be passed on by Dr. Bryan Smith, Fehr said. I dont know what more there is to say about that. Starting in 2008, all TUE applications had to be approved by Smith, the programs independent administrator. The number of new requests for TUE exemptions for ADHD drugs declined from 72 to 56, according to the baseball official.

Baseball toughened its testing program after the 2007 season following recommendations by former Senate majority leader George Mitchell, who spent 1 1/2 years investigating performance-enhancing drugs in baseball. Smiths annual report, which was to have been issued by Dec. 1, was one of Mitchells recommendations. Mitchell declined comment, spokesman John Clark Jr. said.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I guess the usual off-season steroid talk has gone down so now they need something else to bore(annoy) us with. I love how the numbers are worded. The amount of players on the medication has gone up since last year,wow 103 to 106....maybe thats from more players finding out? The number of players in the majors has gone down as well...by 6? why even both mentioning it unless you want to just make it seem like its a big difference.

The guy says he can't count on one hand the people with ADD yet I can count on 2 hands the amount of people I know personally and last time I checked I am not a doctor and don't ever ask people what medicine they are on because I don't care.

Why doesn't football get the attention with drugs and steroids? Like anyone here really believes the amount of players who get caught are actual figures in that sport? and its such a clean cut sport to begin with. Why don't they leave baseball players alone if they refuse to treat the other sports the same way.

I was just getting used to not wading thru crap to find the real baseball stories of the offseason

Old 01-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

aka Small Ball? happy.gif

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc