NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-17-2020, 03:01 PM

Default The ethics of cracking certified cards

Hey All,

I'm working on the 52 and 56 topps series. I used to be a PSA collector, mainly when I was starting out, as a way to protect me against less scrupulous sellers. It was nice to know I was getting good, authentic, unaltered cards.

But now that I'm more experienced, and have some reliable sellers I buy from, I'm getting into buying raw cards for albums. It's definitely more pleasing to see them all together, and to be able to handle the actual card.

But some cards are just hard to find in decent quality uncertified. And others I doubt I would want to buy uncertified. Your Willie Mays and Mickey Mantles, are just too risky. I'd still want that vouch safe.

But the conundrum I have is an ethical one. Is it right, do you think, to crack cards that are certified? I worry that I'm depriving someone else of a card for their registry set, and that i'm altering the population reports by removing a card from circulation, and potentially upsetting the records if I sell, and someone else gets it certified again.

And I don't know, maybe it's a bad idea to do from a value point.

What say you all? Am I overthinking? Is it okay to crack, or better to try to buy raw, if my goal is raw?
Old 04-17-2020, 03:09 PM
M@rk Comer

Overthinking. Crack ‘em out if you don’t want the card entombed.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:10 PM

Crack that baby right down the left field line!

Done it before, no guilt! (Particularly when the grade was egregiously off) It’s your money and it’s your call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2020, 03:21 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Cracking them out is fine, but just because they're in a numbered slab from PSA doesn't mean they're unaltered. That being said, if you mail PSA the flips back, they will remove them from the POP report since that is a concern of yours. Some people just crack them and leave the flips in their binder sleeve so they can see what they used to be graded.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:28 PM
Bob Andrews

I'm a binder guy so I bust out any graded cards I need for the sets I'm trying to complete..Mantle, Mays, whoever. If I buy a graded card as a 'stand-alone' collectible, star cards from sets I'll never chase and/or fragile pre-war cards, I leave them in the case.

Does it cost me in terms of the market value of the cards? Sure, but I enjoy paging thru my sets more than anything.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:46 PM
Al Richter

If freeing cards from plastic prisons and returning them to their natural state is unethical me and my bolt cutter are in deep trouble

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 04-17-2020 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:25 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by commishbob View Post
I'm a binder guy so I bust out any graded cards I need for the sets I'm trying to complete..Mantle, Mays, whoever..
Holders don't fit in binders, so bust em out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 04-17-2020, 05:08 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Mr. Dremel says crack away!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-17-2020, 05:22 PM
Justin

I personally couldn't care less about a registry or pop report. I have lots of graded cards, but I crack out any that I want to put in binders or if they're just low value. I never understood someone paying money to grade a card that's under $100. They just take up too much space to me.

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 04-17-2020, 05:54 PM
Albert Bee

Default crack

As much as I also am not fond of slabbed cards, I would be a little cautious with any extremely high value card ( very early 50s Mantle, etc)...come the day you might want to sell the stuff...a buyer might " feel better" paying you ,...knowing the..for ex - 1940 Play Ball Joe Jackson is graded/slabbed
Old 04-18-2020, 03:06 PM
Steve

I did quite a lot of cracking a few years ago as I was working on a couple of vintage sets. Then, one day I was a little too anxious to free a particular card, my hand slipped on the tool handle and a sharp piece of plastic dug a nice hole into the unfortunate image of Bow Wow Arfft. I left the violent liberation army at that point, but I still empathize with those who enjoy it.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:13 PM
Howard Chasser

Default This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Cracking them out is fine, but just because they're in a numbered slab from PSA doesn't mean they're unaltered. That being said, if you mail PSA the flips back, they will remove them from the POP report since that is a concern of yours. Some people just crack them and leave the flips in their binder sleeve so they can see what they used to be graded.
I believe addresses most of what you expressed. Encourage you to look up "slabgate" regarding authenticity and 3rd party grading.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:59 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

I crack on a routine basis...and like you, some cards are nice to buy graded for that trust factor. Just cracked a Ryan rookie last week as I upgraded in my binder. Natural state is natural state...and I mostly crack 5's and 6's...not sure any registry cares about the mid grades anyhow...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 04-18-2020, 09:15 PM
Bob Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
I did quite a lot of cracking a few years ago as I was working on a couple of vintage sets. Then, one day I was a little too anxious to free a particular card, my hand slipped on the tool handle and a sharp piece of plastic dug a nice hole into the unfortunate image of Bow Wow Arfft. I left the violent liberation army at that point, but I still empathize with those who enjoy it.
LOL

My very first attempt to free a card resulted in my dinging a '59 Killebrew when I put that thing together. Nothing too costly but it did cause me to be much more deliberate on subsequent operations.

BTW...I do keep the flips that came with the cards I bust loose. I stick them in one of the 20 pocket pages intended for tobacco cards. I keep that page at the back of the binder for that set.
Old 04-19-2020, 08:36 AM
Casey

I use binder, so I crack them all. Use the wire cutter method on the top corner. Works great. I put the top paper header behind the card in the binder....figure why not keep it instead of tossing it.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:33 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianruns10 View Post
But the conundrum I have is an ethical one. Is it right, do you think, to crack cards that are certified? I worry that I'm depriving someone else of a card for their registry set, and that i'm altering the population reports by removing a card from circulation, and potentially upsetting the records if I sell, and someone else gets it certified again
Is it ethical for me to buy and break out cards purely so that the pop reports are wrong and hoping that a registry set is left wanting?

Last edited by doug.goodman; 04-22-2020 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:50 AM
J0hn Collin$

Seeing as how none of the major TPG's have ever put policy into place by where cracking cards out is a "bad" thing...and moreover in the view of at least some of them ("Please Submit Again")...that the ability for collectors to do so clearly plays into their profit model - I have absolutely no problem with it.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:51 AM
Al Richter

For most folks here the answer to that would be no, but for you Doug the answer is yes because you are up to no good
Old 04-23-2020, 08:53 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
I've cracked at least 100 slabs in the last 2 decades and only ever damaged one card - unfortunately it was a '56 Clemente. A shard of plastic dug into the surface on his face - and an EX+ card went to about a G in a matter of seconds...
Old 04-23-2020, 11:32 AM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I've cracked at least 100 slabs in the last 2 decades and only ever damaged one card - unfortunately it was a '56 Clemente. A shard of plastic dug into the surface on his face - and an EX+ card went to about a G in a matter of seconds...
Same for me...and also same I've only had one mishap. I was cracking a PSA 6 1967 Topps Boston Red Sox team (high number) and when popping with screw driver (PSA's pop so easy) the center snapped, usually never happens, and I dented the card in the middle...tiny dent. Went from a 6 to a 3...lol. That hurt, and now I take just a little more time so that doesn't happen again. Got a little cocky there. Still a nice card in my binder but I know I will end up replacing...everytime I see that card I get anxiety!

Last edited by Harliduck; 04-23-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:37 AM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Is it terrible to add that I have popped 4's and 5's that look like 6's and 7's...and have sold a few those that were now raw and they sold for more raw? I don't sell that often but you think someone with a good eye could make a lot of side profit doing so. That 5 was probably originally sent in for grading hoping for a 7, now someone knew may think it can be a 7...

Old 04-23-2020, 01:51 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
Is it terrible to add that I have popped 4's and 5's that look like 6's and 7's...and have sold a few those that were now raw and they sold for more raw?
Not at all, this actually highlights the subjectivity inherent with grading mid-range cards. I popped another '56 Clemente in a BVG 5 last year because there was a problem with the case or something, and later decided to sell it. Greg Morris bought it from me for comprable to what I paid, and then later sold it for nearly 2x that amount. I saw the auction on the other end and know it was the same card; and he described it accurately as EX to EX+. So the point there is just that particularly for some sellers, the spectulation is rampant and people will shell out for raw cards - even if they just think they may be undergraded. That or there is something just hypnotic about bright blue backgrounds...

Last edited by jchcollins; 04-23-2020 at 01:52 PM.