NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-09-2013, 08:42 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

Default Did anyone on the board win this T206 Piedmont 350-460 Factory 42?

I'm hoping that I at least lost out to a fellow board member! It was at $34.22 until 3 seconds left. I was going up to $205, but got blown out of the water. I thought that it might sneak under the radar....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150989653377...84.m1423.l2649
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf441 View Post
I'm hoping that I at least lost out to a fellow board member! It was at $34.22 until 3 seconds left. I was going up to $205, but got blown out of the water. I thought that it might sneak under the radar....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150989653377...84.m1423.l2649
I wish as I still need a P42. I should have gotten one way back when they could be had for not a lot of money. Oh well, glad I picked up what I did. I couldn't afford half of my cards today.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:43 AM

Default snodgras....

i saw it and got on it first, but i had other fish to fry and got it to a good guy....a fellow board member did get it and went to a great guy thank God!! (not that you didn't deserve it steve) sorry you didn't get it).....piedy 42's are extremely undervalued and are sleepers

Who won my Dunn??????????
Old 02-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

Default Good to know!!

I'm just happy that it went to one of the Net54 guys. Really cool card and with a neat back stamp to boot....

Desiderata

Strive to be happy.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:07 AM

Default Steve....

I'm sure if buyer upgrades in future he will give you a shot....i'll let him know if I can , or he will just see this thread
Old 02-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Lottery Numbers

Why not just have a lottery of Net54 members who (need, want or would like to have) the next Factory 42 Piedmont?

Or would this be considered (a reverse shill, an anti-shill or a de-sniped) auction?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Why not just have a lottery of Net54 members who (need, want or would like to have) the next Factory 42 Piedmont?

Or would this be considered (a reverse shill, an anti-shill or a de-sniped) auction?
It doesn't seem to ever work that easily Frank. Someone, not a board member, will inevitably come out of the woodwork and spoil it for all of us. I like the way you think though!!
Old 02-09-2013, 10:41 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

I was the underbidder

It went to a very good home.

Last edited by atx840; 02-09-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
It doesn't seem to ever work that easily Frank. Someone, not a board member, will inevitably come out of the woodwork and spoil it for all of us. I like the way you think though!!
I know that we (Net54) do not have the market cornered.

I also know that shilling is illegal,

but I don't believe that there is any law to compel us to bid on an item we want,

so would conspiring not to bid violate any laws?

Just wonderin'.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:08 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
I'm sure if buyer upgrades in future he will give you a shot....i'll let him know if I can , or he will just see this thread
Thanks for keeping me in mind, I really appreciate it!!

Desiderata

Strive to be happy.

Last edited by wolf441; 02-09-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:20 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I know that we (Net54) do not have the market cornered.

I also know that shilling is illegal,

but I don't believe that there is any law to compel us to bid on an item we want,

so would conspiring not to bid violate any laws?

Just wonderin'.
I think the answer is usually yes it's illegal but, in our hobby, it is almost never enforced...from wiki.....

"Collusion is an agreement between two or more parties, sometimes illegal and therefore secretive, to limit open competition by deceiving, misleading, or defrauding others of their legal rights, or to obtain an objective forbidden by law typically by defrauding or gaining an unfair advantage.[citation needed] It is an agreement among firms or individuals to divide a market, set prices, limit production or limit opportunities.[1] It can involve "wage fixing, kickbacks, or misrepresenting the independence of the relationship between the colluding parties".[2] In legal terms, all acts affected by collusion are considered void.[3]"

Old 02-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I think the answer is usually yes it's illegal but, in our hobby, it is almost never enforced...from wiki.....

"Collusion is an agreement between two or more parties, sometimes illegal and therefore secretive, to limit open competition by deceiving, misleading, or defrauding others of their legal rights, or to obtain an objective forbidden by law typically by defrauding or gaining an unfair advantage.[citation needed] It is an agreement among firms or individuals to divide a market, set prices, limit production or limit opportunities.[1] It can involve "wage fixing, kickbacks, or misrepresenting the independence of the relationship between the colluding parties".[2] In legal terms, all acts affected by collusion are considered void.[3]"

It's usually hard to prove. Most stuff like that is done somewhat privately and most of the time it doesn't make a huge difference in price.

But a group of stamp companies got in big trouble for making arrangements about who would buy certain large lots or collections at auction. I think the restitution was around 3 million. They were turned in by a disgruntled employee who saved memos.

And at a live auction one time I saw two people in the front row bidding against each other. At one point one turned to the other and said "How about I stop now and we'll split it" They were close enough the auctioneer heard and stopped the auction. He told them not to do that, or to do it beforehand somewhere he couldn't hear. Also that he could have them arrested. Then he restarted the bidding at the high bid when he stopped it but asked for another bidder. That way the final bid would be above the point where they colluded. I think it went for 50-60 more.

Steve B

Last edited by steve B; 02-09-2013 at 04:24 PM. Reason: typo