NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-20-2005, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Default Those T206 Old Mill overstikes still bother me ...

Posted By: Ed McCollum

Since the posting of the Old Mill overstrike images on the older Mastronet auction thread, it has really bothered me to see exactly what it was people were calling this rare back type. So, since it is the week before Christmas, and things are pretty slow around my office, I took my own beaters, scanned each of the backs I have (I left out the Polar Bear, as it would be impossible to overstrike a solid back) and tried to find any match for the placement and size of the overstrike shown on the scans provided.

(I used one of the provided scans, deleted the background of the card, except for the overstrike information and an outline of the card holder it is in, changed the color to an obnoxious green so it would show up well against almost everything except American Beauty’s, and put it as a layer over each back type in Photoshop)

None match up if you just turn the card right side up. In terms of the bar being long enough to cover the original factory designation and still fit in a space without hitting a border, other information, etc., the only one that fits is the Sweet Cap back. The bar on the overprint version of the Old Mill as shown is too short by one character on each side of the bar to cover the current factory information.

I would like to be able to work with higher res scans to show how this just doesn’t work, for for the sake of making sure this still loads on the site, and using the scans provided on the previous thread, this is the best I could do.

Again, I’m not ripping the owners of the overstrike Old Mills, or the originality or unique qualities of their cards; I’m just questioning whether it is a back type, or a bad day at the print shop.

Ed

Old 12-20-2005, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

A bigger scan would be helpful.
JimB

Old 12-20-2005, 08:54 AM
Administrator

The temporary file size limits me to 128 kb. The original Photoshop tiff is 4.8 mg. If anyone can offer an idea of how to get a larger image size available, please contact me at ed.mccollum@mosaicinfo.org and I will post as large as possible. Thanks.

Old 12-20-2005, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: t206King

save the picture as a JPEG file, reduces the size by almost 80%

Old 12-20-2005, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Thanks to Lee B. for sending me a larger example of the file, and to T206 King for trying to help out. Unfortunately, it is saved as a .jpg file, and the server won't let me load a .pdf. I've included a .gif to this response, but if you really want a better look, e-mail me and I will just send the PDF file...I think most probably have Adobe Acrobat for viewing. Thanks.