NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-09-2016, 06:50 PM
Mark

Default Need Help - Neil Armstrong...what do I have here?

I need some knowledge since I'm not a big autograph collector.

Many years ago my father worked for Hilton Hotels. Around 1976 Neil Armstrong stayed there and gave my father a handwritten thank you note when he left.

I know Armstrong is a very collectable signature, but what about the rest of the hand written note? I've never seen anything like it elsewhere. I know it's certainly real because I was standing there when he handed it to my dad.

Can anyone give me an idea on the value of something like this? What do I do with it? Should I frame it? Does it need to be encapsulated or just authenticated?

Old 08-09-2016, 07:37 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

thats nice. You could mat it out with a nice astronaut photo of him. I would think thats a $500 signature. If Richard Simon will chime in. I'm not real current on price.

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 08-09-2016, 07:39 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I am sure many others are thinking the same thing, but I will say it. Why on God's green earth would you get it 'opinionated'? You, me and the tree know it is genuine. Why have some hump put their silly sticker on this and ruin it? One of the best space people is on here and I am sure Steve 'Mr. Zipper' will offer his opinion gratis as he is that type of person. You could probably deal with him privately as to value, etc.

It is one beautiful signature of Mr. Armstrong. Strictly as a signature and not the medium, it probably does not get better than that one.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 08-09-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
thats nice. You could mat it out with a nice astronaut photo of him. I would think thats a $500 signature. If Richard Simon will chime in. I'm not real current on price.
That's not a signature. It's an "ALS"--an "autograph letter signed." An Armstrong ALS would probably sell for $2000-$3000.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:08 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
That's not a signature. It's an "ALS"--an "autograph letter signed." An Armstrong ALS would probably sell for $2000-$3000.
David beat me to it...... That's nice
Old 08-09-2016, 08:29 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
I would think thats a $500 signature.
You are way low. This is a prime and very uncommon full name signature.

While the content is routine, the signature is highly desirable. And it is entirely in Armstrong's hand.

This gentleman contacted me previously for an email opinion a while ago and I provided him with my opinion as to authenticity and value. My sense is he wanted it encapsulated. While I'd be honored to write a letter for this, I do not place stickers on items or encapsulate.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:33 PM

Congrats on this piece; what a cool thing to own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2016, 08:34 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
I think you would be right for an Apollo era ALS on NASA letterhead. Post NASA, non-space content on unrelated stationary would be less in my opinion.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:54 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
You are way low. This is a prime and very uncommon full name signature.

While the content is routine, the signature is highly desirable. And it is entirely in Armstrong's hand.

This gentleman contacted me previously for an email opinion a while ago and I provided him with my opinion as to authenticity and value. My sense is he wanted it encapsulated. While I'd be honored to write a letter for this, I do not place stickers on items or encapsulate.
I was going to say that it looks like a full name and I don't recall having seen one before. That's tremendous.

Tom C
Old 08-10-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
I was going to say that it looks like a full name and I don't recall having seen one before.
Here's a full full-name signature, Tom:

Old 08-10-2016, 06:09 PM
Mike Navarro

I used to have 2 or 3 fullname ones on documents that Richard sold me years and years ago. I believe they dealt with medical examinations if memory serves me correctly. That's a cool letter you have there.

Edited: just saw Davids piece above. That might have been one of them or very very similar. That looks very familiar and mine were likely the same type of documents. David, did you pick that up in the late 90's or early 2000's? Did you buy it from me if you remember?

Last edited by thenavarro; 08-10-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:56 PM
Richard Simon

I sold a couple of VA docs but not sure if they were medical ones or insurance ones. I also had Ted Williams, Joe D., Bobby Thomson and a few others.
They were all signed with full names or middle initial, Theodore Samuel, Joseph P. or Paul I forget, etc.
I still have Thomson in my collection.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 08-10-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:28 AM

How did you come by those Veteran's Administration documents, Richard?
Old 08-11-2016, 07:51 AM
Richard Simon

One of my good friends on 54 told me that David has posted this question for me on this thread. Since I have him on block I did not see it.
I bought those docs at the Manhattan Antiques Center from a dealer in that mall or did I break into the VA in the middle of the night and steal them?? .
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 08-11-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
...or did I ... steal them?? .
Someone did. I'm sure you realized that when you purchased them for resale.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 08-11-2016 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:47 AM
Richard Simon

David,
I am honored once again that you are up at 2:30 in the morning to post a question about me. What an obsession it is. Scary actually. It has lasted for years.
I certainly knew it was possible but old papers, contracts and letters are disposed of all the time. There are numerous legit stories in the hobby of people finding things in dumpsters that were tossed by various entities.
They were in a showcase and I bought them. Period. End of story.
Apparently you might own one now. If you bought one yourself did you think it might be stolen?
Or perhaps that document is "not yours."
Once a PITA, always a PITA.
--
Old 08-11-2016, 08:49 AM
Richard Simon

Bye David. Back on block again.
And I have told my friend to not tell me anything else that comes out of your keyboard.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 08-11-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:32 AM
Mark

Wow, this took a turn I didn't expect. Sorry to dredge up old wounds.

I was just curious for input about what I had....not really interested in old debates. If anyone has input on the original item in question I would appreciate getting back on topic.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
I certainly knew it was possible but old papers, contracts and letters are disposed of all the time. There are numerous legit stories in the hobby of people finding things in dumpsters that were tossed by various entities.
Keep telling yourself that. I'm sure you'll come to believe it.

Quote:
Apparently you might own one now. If you bought one yourself did you think it might be stolen?
Not when I purchased it. From you. But it certainly has crossed my mind since then.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
I was just curious for input about what I had....not really interested in old debates. If anyone has input on the original item in question I would appreciate getting back on topic.
There's not much more to tell, Mark. It's an ALS, meaning a signed letter written entirely in the hand of the signer. Steve Zarelli--who is the acknowledged expert in space-related autographs--told you that it's not a particularly valuable ALS, as it's post-NASA, on "foreign" letterhead, and is of mundane content. Unlike the DS (document signed) pictured above, your letter has immaculate provenance (history), though. I'm sure Steve could give you a good estimate of its value.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:29 PM

You said it was worth between $2,000 and $3,000. I'd say that's particularly valuable, no?
Old 08-11-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
You said it was worth between $2,000 and $3,000. I'd say that's particularly valuable, no?
Steve disagreed with that valuation. I trust Steve.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:38 PM
Mark

Quote:
There's not much more to tell, Mark. It's an ALS, meaning a signed letter written entirely in the hand of the signer. Steve Zarelli--who is the acknowledged expert in space-related autographs--told you that it's not a particularly valuable ALS, as it's post-NASA, on "foreign" letterhead, and is of mundane content. Unlike the DS (document signed) pictured above, your letter has immaculate provenance (history), though. I'm sure Steve could give you a good estimate of its value.

Got it.....thanks for hijacking my thread, making it about an old gripe you had and then deciding when the discussion was over.

I'm sure everyone here appreciates your contributions.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:02 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Wow, this took a turn I didn't expect. Sorry to dredge up old wounds.
Not a problem. Don't sweat the tiny stuff.
Enjoy that piece.
--
Old 08-11-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Got it.....thanks for hijacking my thread, making it about an old gripe you had and then deciding when the discussion was over.

I'm sure everyone here appreciates your contributions.
My contributions?There are only two real, explanatory, information-bearing contributions on this entire thread. Mine and Steve Zarelli's. I'm the guy who told you what the piece was in the first place. What the fuck more do you want to know (besides the value)? What color shirt Armstrong was wearing when he wrote it?
Old 08-11-2016, 04:54 PM
Mark

Quote:
My contributions?There are only two real, explanatory, information-bearing contributions on this entire thread. Mine and Steve Zarelli's. I'm the guy who told you what the piece was in the first place. What the fuck more do you want to know (besides the value)? What color shirt Armstrong was wearing when he wrote it?
Kind of like there's nothing more to say about an old accusation of theft towards another board member, yet here we are.

I've never met you and know nothing about your beef. I will note that you posted more about that than my topic.

I now know what I was needing to know about my item, and perhaps more about what I need to know about some people on thus board.

Thank you Steve for your input and to others as well. Hopefully everyone can settle their differences.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
I now know what I was needing to know about my item...
You're welcome.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:35 PM
Richard Simon

Mark,
Like I told you enjoy the piece and don't sweat the small stuff.
--
Old 08-11-2016, 06:13 PM
Mike Navarro

Mark,

If you want to do more research on monetary value, go to rrauction.com and click on past items, input Neil Armstrong, and you'll get a bunch of results. Some might be relevant, some not so much. As David mentioned, it's considered an ALS so look for ones with that in the title, pull them up and see what they sold for, when they sold, what their content was, condition, and then apply those factors to draw an estimate.

I don't have time to do that research for that but that's one of the many ways I'd go about it if I was looking for values.

Enjoy the research and the hunt, those are two of the most enjoyable aspects IMHO

Mike
Old 08-11-2016, 07:09 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Very awesome piece! Good luck with whatever you decide to do with it!
Old 08-11-2016, 08:35 PM
ThreadKiller

Default whiskey. tango. foxtrot.

anybody ELSE getting tired of this back & forth sh!t???

I'm a sub-300 poster here, so MY opinion may be 'unwelcome', but...

just sayin'...

xo Me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg getalong.jpg (9.6 KB, 140 views)
Old 08-11-2016, 08:36 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenavarro View Post
Mark,

If you want to do more research on monetary value, go to rrauction.com and click on past items, input Neil Armstrong, and you'll get a bunch of results. Some might be relevant, some not so much. As David mentioned, it's considered an ALS so look for ones with that in the title, pull them up and see what they sold for, when they sold, what their content was, condition, and then apply those factors to draw an estimate.

I don't have time to do that research for that but that's one of the many ways I'd go about it if I was looking for values.

Enjoy the research and the hunt, those are two of the most enjoyable aspects IMHO

Mike
Mike,
Excellent advice, I use that site often.
--
Old 08-12-2016, 05:27 AM
Steve Zarelli

Because the signature is an uncommon style, it makes valuation pretty tough. I'd put it above a routine ALS with the standard signature, but below a NASA content letter on NASA letterhead.

I'd guess around $1,500 RETAIL give or take. Regrettably what may happen is the signature will be cut and matted with a photo.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:58 PM
Bru.ce Wil.s0n

Would it be any more valuable or desirable if he wrote in cursive?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2016, 08:38 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcwcardz View Post
Would it be any more valuable or desirable if he wrote in cursive?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
In my opinion, no.