NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-17-2004, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Default Burke Photographs

Posted By: Mike Peich

I picked up a number of 4 x 6 George Burke photographs that, according to my quick check of players/teams, were taken in the thirties. They're wonderful poses, and very crisply photographed. All the photos have the Burke stamp on the back, and they all have a letter/number code that, I was told, represents Burke's filing system. Although I'm uncertain how to grade them, the photos appear to be in Vg+ to Ex condition.

I have a number of questions that I hope someone on the board can help me resolve.

1. Is there a standard guide or history of Burke that will give me information about his work?
2. What is the difference, if any, between the black and purple versions of Burke's stamp?
3. How does one grade photographs of this vintage?
4. What is an avergae price (I know that condition will dictate it) for a common player? HOFer?

I look forward to learning more about this very talented man and his work.

Cheers, Mike

Old 03-17-2004, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

mike,

at one time i had over 300 of these from his studio, you are correct, they are the exact photos used for 1930's goudey and playball issues and the numbers designate different poses, usually they have a rubber stamp address on the back and some paper attached from the studio. occasionaly some crop marks and or type writer text on the front or back.

as to value, i sold mine too early, i had 2 ruths, 2 dimaggios and gehrig's, which were the common poses seen on the cards,. as any case some of the scarce common players would be harder to find images of. at any rate, none have come to market lately and a value would be difficult to access. i would hold them for a while as they are quite scarce.

scott

Old 03-18-2004, 01:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

scott, are these the same photos that are/were in the The Sporting News archives? I had access to the photos in the TSN archive for awhile and a lot fo the photos were ones used in Goudey and other sets.

Jay

Old 03-18-2004, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

They are rather scarce and some players are nearly impossible to find. Price is often dictacted by the players, conditions, and scarcity. I collect Phillies and I have one that I thought I had paid way too much for about 5 years ago..now I am not so sure. I rarely see them posted for sale anymore. I do think there was a book put out recently by one of Burke's children that chroncicles the career and some of the Photos as well...I think the SABR website might have info. on the book.

Of course, I would love any Phillies you have, please let us know if you intend to sell them and where.

Old 03-18-2004, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cycleback

The value of the photo likely won't be effected by the color of the stamp ink on back.

You would grade his 1930s photos in the same manner as as baseball card (Poor to Mint), or you can simply describe the condition faults. Additionally, you should describe the clarity of the image (crystal clear, out of focus etc). As the image is key, a crease or stain to a corner and a crease to the image are not the same the same significance. Though writing on back or such problems doesn't neccesarilly effect the sell price, that should be menioned as well. As cataloging notes often is a natural part of a photo, it's fine to mention the writing separate from the photo: "Photo grades very good and has writing on the back." Due to the relative rarity of each photo, minor wear likely won't effect the sell price-- minor wear including roughness to an edge, a small crease to a corner. It's important to accurately communicate the condition, but you will find that few photo collectors are bothered by minor wear. Let the 1994 SP Alex Rodriguez collectors have sleepless nights of a corner touch.

There is a 1997 picture book about Burke's longtime business partner and fellow Chicago baseball photograher, George Brace.