NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-31-2019, 09:19 PM
Ben L

World's Fair Cinema Player
Attached Images
File Type: jpg World's Fair Cinema Player (1).jpg (73.4 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg World's Fair Cinema Player (3).jpg (73.8 KB, 242 views)
Old 05-07-2021, 03:41 PM

I always enjoyed this thread and thought it was time to re-visit it.

When I was in junior high (now middle-school?), I remember a classmate bringing in a newspaper his father has saved headlining the attack on Pearl Harbor. I thought having that newspaper was a great piece of history. Years later, I decided to start saving historic headlines, of course starting with the Kennedy assassination. Was cleaning out the garage and came across my box of newspapers and thought I would share some of them here to give this thead a renewed life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg papers (2).jpg (78.9 KB, 196 views)
Old 05-07-2021, 11:10 PM

I collect some celebrities and bands, my favorite being this one which unfortunately has CJ Ramone rather than DeeDee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2021, 11:12 PM

Scrolled through the thread, lots of WWII stuff. I have morbid curiosity and have this piece

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2021, 10:11 AM

Default Longtime collector!

Hi, just thought I’d post a pic of some of my goodies non sports.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4166678D-ABCB-43D7-AEF7-FCFCFA5AEA94.jpg (18.5 KB, 132 views)
Old 05-13-2021, 11:59 AM

Default Non sports

Here’s some more goodies. 😂
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7BDCDFEA-D656-4579-BCD5-70C2F3EA03C4.jpg (17.1 KB, 124 views)
Old 05-13-2021, 12:02 PM

Default More stuff

Yo joe! He’s a real American hero!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EF3B60A2-319D-47D3-A0D7-DF7B76284DA3.jpg (20.4 KB, 126 views)
Old 05-13-2021, 04:10 PM

My father had an opportunity to meet Jimmie Haskell in the 60's. I asked him to take an album for him to sign. I was about 14 at the time, so don't judge my choice of albums. For those that don't know, Jimmie was an Emmy/Grammy award winning composer, arranger and conductor for major names like Elvis, Ricky Nelson and Billy Joel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg record3 (2).jpg (75.3 KB, 120 views)
Old 05-13-2021, 04:19 PM

I was in a business transaction in the 70's with Jimmy Witherspoon. At the conclusion of the transaction, he brought me this album and signed it for me. It's a two-record set, hence the signature on one of the interior pages. Great music.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg record1(4).jpg (77.9 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg record2 (2).jpg (77.7 KB, 115 views)
Old 05-14-2021, 10:47 AM

Hello All,

My name is Mark, I'm new here for a few reasons. I want to learn more from folks that know about vintage baseball. I am also here to learn some things about what I have and to share them as well. Please note none of these items are for sale. I'd like to introduce folks to something I call the "Steele Box".

I believe it's important for people who share information and people who appreciate things like this.

If I am in the wrong place please just say so.

What is the "Steele Box"? I can tell you it is a box similar to a old milk box / storage container, wood handles and made of metal. It's about 18 inches front to back, 22 inches side to side and about 18 to 20 inches deep.
I named it the "Steele Box" because it is basically a time capsule for the 1880's from a Mr. Charles Steele.
Mr Charles Steel was a...
Banker
Firefighter
Railroad Engineer of some sort
Local Baseball Player
Fan of the New York City and local theatre as well
In the box there were...
Copper printing plates, one of which has the signature of George Washington on. Mt Vernon is currently researching it.

The box also had CDV photo's of actresses (Lotta Crabtree) from the California Gold Rush days taken by a well know photographer from New York City named Jeremiah Gurney. He was ranked up there Matthew Brady who happened to be the person who made the cases for Jeremiah's photos early on. As you know Matthew Brady then went on to take the famous photos which he is well known for of President Abraham Lincoln.
Employee time tables from the Lackawanna Railroad, Chicago and others.
Love letters.
A letter that is from a man he knew that was in Cape Horn, South Africa. From what I gather he was trying to evade being captured by the police.
Letters to bring electricity to Newton.
Papers, ledgers, and so on all tied to arranging local Baseball games in the area including New York City in such places as Coney Island.
The baseball team from Newton was made up mostly from the Newton Steamer Co. No. 1, firefighters from that time.
Broadside of the first kidnapping in the United States for ransom, Charles ("Charley") Brewster Ross.
Opera house floor plans from New York City, one of which was torn down and is now where Madison Square Garden is today.
Bill Heads and Broadsides.
Bank Checks
Bank notes that were used as currency before the Federal Reserve been into existence.
....and more. There are over 2,000 pieces of paper (Ephemera) in this box.

As you can see it's overwhelming.

I hope to get the chance to post some of the baseball related papers here in hopes to learn more about them from folks that have knowledge of what I have
For the first post I will include a pic of the box and the riders that I have separated things into.

Thanks,

---Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Box-Medium.jpg (75.0 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by Mforder; 05-14-2021 at 10:52 AM. Reason: bigger pic of box
Old 05-14-2021, 03:47 PM
Rob

Very cool! How did you acquire the box?
Old 05-14-2021, 07:06 PM

I hope I am allowed to add a link here... This will hopefully give you a better idea of how all of this began.

As for the SF Giants didn't they start off as the Gothams? If so I have a few letters from that time period. I really don't know enough about any of the teams to say for sure if they were the Gothams though. I am learning as I go.

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/he...ele-box.61531/

Here's one more link too...

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/we...ele-box.61542/

Last edited by Mforder; 05-14-2021 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:52 PM
Rob

You can definitely add links!

Yes, the Giants started out a# the Gothams.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:01 PM

I chase after Civil War images (tintypes & ambrotypes). Here's a few from my collection (note - if you have any you want to sell, contact me).

Rob M

IMG_2893.jpg

Last edited by ramram; 05-19-2021 at 02:56 PM.