NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-08-2014, 08:19 PM
Scott S

Default Hall's Nostalgia - end of an era?

Anyone who grew up in the Boston area or picked up an SCD in the 1980s knew all about Hall's Nostalgia. Their monthly auctions were a staple for me in my teen years in the 1980s, and I was lucky enough to pick up some great items back in those days from their auctions.

Hall's never really kept up with technology without much of a website, and the quality of their auctions dropped over time. I still perused their offerings, though i kept in mind that their "old school" grading methods meant that a raw EX-MT card likely would get a PSA 4 if graded.

They still have maintained monthly auctions, but the nicer memorabilia they used to offer no longer seems to be there. The in-person auctions appear to have been reduced to phone auctions of $5 and $10 items.

So, I'm not sure what the future of Hall's may be, but I certainly enjoyed their operation for many years. Thanks to Walt, Dave and Joel for some good collecting memories over many years.

Scott S@ri@n
Old 09-09-2014, 03:12 PM
Steve Birmingham

They were my local card shop back when there were very few anywhere, and they're the reason I still collect.

Getting really good stuff is hard for any auction. Probably harder for auctions without a big marketing budget.

I wouldn't be sure the in person auctions are over. They've taken a few breaks when the auctioneer is on vacation or during stretches where renting the hall would be less useful.

Steve B
Old 09-09-2014, 03:21 PM
Bob Donaldson

Growing up in Arlington MA, I was one of their first customers in 1976. Moved home a few years ago and was sad to see their store was gone. Have attended a few of the auctions and the KofC. Hope they come back.

Bob
Old 09-09-2014, 06:29 PM
Dave

I remember their shows at the Holiday Inn in Peabody Mass. great shows too. They still have a lot of Ebay auctions too.

Last edited by DHogan; 09-09-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:59 AM
Scott Maxell

That's sad. My first auction as a kid.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:44 AM
Al Richter

Default Halls

I had never heard of them until about a year and a half ago when a fellow collector told me he had seen a Topps odd ball baseball item in their latest auction mailer. He faxed me a copy. It sounded interesting and was not listed in the SCD catalog, but there was no picture, just a weird description. So I called and asked if they could send a scan. They said no. I was still interested in taking a shot at it but by phone all you could do was give them a bid. They could not or would not tell me if anyone else had bid and there was no way to check the status of the auction except to call them, which was a painful process.

It was very difficult to participate in their auction if you were doing it by phone and there was no on line option. I gave them a "max" bid and, surprise, I won the item for my max bid. I have not participated in one of their auctions since, but was happy with the item I got. Fairly unique.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:56 AM

That was my experience with them too, Al. I put in ridiculous bids on 4 different cards (AT LEAST $200 more than they were worth), and shocker, my sales price was my high bid for all four lots. And similar cards that I had bid less on (because I already had them, but would have taken if I got a reasonable deal on them) ... shockingly those sold for the usual market prices.

You can draw your on conclusion on their honesty, but I know I won't deal with them again.

Patrick
Old 09-10-2014, 10:31 AM
FredYoung

I used to set up @ the Peabody shows in the late '80's-early '90's. They were always the best shows in NE at the time and I NEVER had a bad show sales -wise!

Usually had 2 guests signing for FREE or almost nothing! Those were good show days for sure!
Old 09-10-2014, 11:32 AM
Dave

Another long gone show in Boston was at the Boston College High School in South Boston. I recall Bill Russell was signing at one of the shows for about $350.00 in the early 90's.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:50 AM
FredYoung

Default Hi Dave--

Yes, I did 2 or 3 of those BCHS shows also back then--I had almost forgotten about them.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHogan View Post
Another long gone show in Boston was at the Boston College High School in South Boston. I recall Bill Russell was signing at one of the shows for about $350.00 in the early 90's.
Yes, he and Wilt were both there, at least at the show I remember which I think was more mid 90s.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:38 PM

Default Class act!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMPEP View Post
That was my experience with them too, Al. I put in ridiculous bids on 4 different cards (AT LEAST $200 more than they were worth), and shocker, my sales price was my high bid for all four lots. And similar cards that I had bid less on (because I already had them, but would have taken if I got a reasonable deal on them) ... shockingly those sold for the usual market prices.

You can draw your on conclusion on their honesty, but I know I won't deal with them again.

Patrick
Obviously, I can't speak to the auction experiences of Al and Patrick. However, I have known and done business with the Halls for more than 40 years and have not encountered more honest and forthright individuals in my more than half a century in the hobby. 'Nuf Sed!
B.ob Ri.chardson
Old 09-10-2014, 04:21 PM
Al Richter

Default Halls

Bob-- let me amend. As I said, I was happy with the item I received and ok with the price paid since my max bid was what I was willing to pay. I am an old guy, 64, and by no means a modern guy. I just found dealing with them cumbersome and frustrating. Did not mean to call into question their integrity. Based on what you and others have said I take it that they are like me, just slow or reluctant to change
Old 09-10-2014, 04:53 PM
Don Hontz

Default Halls

I did all the Halls shows years ago---The shows were outstanding (the good old days) and Walter, Joel and David Hall are wonderful people and were always a pleasure to talk with.---I also did the BC high school shows---but to go back further---the old Bishop Guertin show in Nashua NH was the best show in New England in the late 70's and 80's----showing my age---I only do the Greater Boston show now twice a year. Don
Old 09-10-2014, 06:18 PM
Scott S

I think the whole family is great, but I think they did themselves a disservice by not keeping up with the times.

The phone bids (with no online bidding option) hurt them as many bidders now would prefer just dealing online. Their consignment fees - which were normal 15+ years ago - were high in comparison now. And because of those factors, consignors got leery about having Halls auction high dollar items.

I don't think they were dishonest at all, but didn't evolve as grading standards evolved. I bought cards from their auction which I hadn't seen but only read the descriptions, only to get them and notice significant paper loss or other material issues with it. When I would mention it to them (and I was a 30 year customer), I would hear, "that's why it was graded VG-ex and not mint, so you should expect things like paper loss." Significant paper loss maybe was the case for a VG-ex card in 1980, but not so much now.

Anyways, I didn't start this to talk badly about Halls - just wanted to point out what I had noticed, and to thank them for many nice card-related memories as I was growing up.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:46 PM
Michael S

Thanks for posting about Hall's Scott.

I like Joel, Dave and Walt. They really did let technology pass them right by but they seem happy these days.

A fair amount of my collection came by way of Hall's. I have never made one of their "live" auctions but I have had relatives bid on my behalf back in the 80's and have purchased remotely fairly recently.

I will always remember the ads on the back of every SCD. Here is an ad from a 1979 SCD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Halls 1.jpg (78.6 KB, 216 views)
Old 09-11-2014, 05:30 AM
Robert Klevens

They do have an eBay store with nearly 3000 items in it. http://stores.ebay.com/hallsnostalgia
Old 09-11-2014, 06:14 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

When I started to realize there was a secondary market for my beloved hobby (early 1980's) there were two names in the hobby that were like royalty to me. They were Larry Fritsch and Hall's Nostalgia.

I remember when a friend of mine bought a beater 1953 Topps Willie Mays from them. When it arrived I walked two and a half miles after school so I could see it firsthand. One of my cherished hobby memories.

Tom C
Old 09-11-2014, 11:49 AM

I remember when a friend of mine bought a beater 1953 Topps Willie Mays from them. When it arrived I walked two and a half miles after school so I could see it firsthand. One of my cherished hobby memories.

Tom C[/QUOTE]

Tom, thank you for sharing your story. I loved it. Our love affair with sports and non-sports trading cards when we were young could get very intense indeed. Then again, some things don't change when we get gray-haired, either! Anyway, thanks again, bro. --Brian Powell
Old 09-11-2014, 11:53 AM
Dave

Hall's also had live auction at some of their Peabody shows. I never bought anything from those auctions. I did attend on of their live auctions at the K of C in Arlington Mass. auctions about 5 years ago. It seemed that their starting bid were a bit high. At least to me. They were very nice every time I asked questions in their store or shows and auctions.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:55 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

I believe Hall's Nostalgia also had a shop in Buzzard's Bay in the early 1980's as well...
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Default 2001 NSCC Cleveland