NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Erich W

Default How accurate are population reports?

We are all aware of stories where a card is cracked & submitted to PSA/SGC three times b/c you or someone else didn't like the grade it received the first couple times. I can definitely sympathize. But how many times every day does this go on? I would suspect hundreds if not thousands of times over the course of a year. How many times has a card been undervalued based on an artificicially inflated pop because it or one like it has been submitted multiple times? Who knows? Prices may not be affected as often for low pop cards (around 10 - easier to keep track of) but there must be instances where a higher pop card (around or over 25) may have been submitted multiple times and realized lower prices because of an inaccurate pop report.

What does the board think about this? I can't think of any way to prevent this from happening and it's concerning as a collector.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:43 PM

Like with facial recognition software, if hi-Res scans of every card ever submitted was kept in a database, then maybe something could be done to keep an accurate report. Otherwise, no chance.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

It's an imperfect world, what can you do? Equally troubling are reported sale prices of cards that didn't actually sell.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:04 PM
Erich W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It's an imperfect world, what can you do? Equally troubling are reported sale prices of cards that didn't actually sell.
Can you share an example of this?
Old 05-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

There have been several posts, for example, about Bill Goodwin's cards that were reneged on, yet as far as I know the prices were reported.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Frank Wakefield

I used to just throw away the slips when I busted slabbed cards out of the holders. But after a few years of that I started saving the slips, most of the time. I haven't sent them in, just held them... With me doing that a few dozen times, and with other contrarians like me doing it, it would add up. Add to that the crossovers, I'd think the pop reports are somewhat accurate, but not absolute. A bit diluted, still of some meaning and merit.

One aspect that is sometimes not considered is that some cards are more likely to be graded than others.... HOFers in T206 more so than commons, 460 series cards are slightly more likely to be graded than series 150 cards, eg for just T206.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 05-13-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:10 PM
Ron Rice

Default Pop Reports

Population reports are definately overstated by crossovers and re-submissions. However, there are still a lot of raw cards out there. I'd say the number of raw cards is much greater than the number of duplicated cards in the pop reports. So using the pop reports of graded cards is still very helpful in estimating the total number of a particular issue that may be out there.

Ron R
Old 05-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Rawn Hill

Default pop reports

I know of two player's cards that are not well represented.

Rawn
Old 05-13-2010, 08:56 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Default How accurate are pop reports you ask?

Very.

http://www.goodwinandco.com/LotDetai...100&category=1
Old 05-13-2010, 09:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Who does those writeups?

Old 05-13-2010, 10:10 PM

Aside from the crack/resubmits and the large number of raw cards out there, no TPG is very good about variations. I've seen many, many problems in this regard. The pop reports are a terrible way to judge scarcity of variations.

As for PSA, for years and years they did not track the backs of T206. So for back collectors, using a PSA pop report is just foolish.

I collect C60 Lacrosse cards. These are pretty tough cards. The later set C59 (which looks very much like C60 from the front - different back) is not as scarce or valuable. I just saw on Ebay a bunch of C59 cards slabbed by PSA and identified as C60s. Now these C60s are low-pop cards according to PSA...5 to 10 graded each subject. But clearly some of those pop numbers are inaccurate. Leaves you to wonder exactly how many others are wrongly recorded in their pop report...

Summary - there are lots of problems with these things, and you should never bank on them.

Cheers,
Blair

Last edited by Bosox Blair; 05-13-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:36 PM
Archive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
I'd think the pop reports are somewhat accurate, but not absolute. A bit diluted, still of some meaning and merit.
I think what Frank said hit it right on the mark.

Jantz
Old 05-13-2010, 11:00 PM
Brian Horne

If all of the pop reports are inflated about the same then the distortion shouldn't be a huge issue. However if there is one type of card that seems to be resubmitted more frequently than it might be a problem.

Those of you who have re-submitted, was it random material or did most of the items fall under a certain category?
Old 05-14-2010, 06:21 AM
Erich W

Quote:
Originally Posted by camlov2 View Post
If all of the pop reports are inflated about the same then the distortion shouldn't be a huge issue. However if there is one type of card that seems to be resubmitted more frequently than it might be a problem.

Those of you who have re-submitted, was it random material or did most of the items fall under a certain category?
The categories of resubmissions are all over the place, although if I had to guess which type of card has the most inflated pop reports it would be T206.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:22 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Personal opinion

My personal opinion is that I don't think pop (everytime I hear the term I think of "there goes the weasel) reports are very accurate at all. With the internet really only about 15 yrs old I think there is much more we don't know about, than what we do know about. Give it another 25 yrs and we will be in a better position to answer this question, imo. With the things I collect, when someone mentions "pop report", I just laugh. How about "what are the total number known?". Many, many cards are not graded either. regards
Old 05-14-2010, 06:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Got rare?