NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-29-2012, 10:17 AM

Default Buying pre-war cards for the future (trades)

I was wondering how many collectors here buy cards which they don't necessarily collect but which are nice bargains, to hold for the future to possibly use to make trades. Lately, I have found myself buying cards which are often duplicates of mine, particularly "tough" or "scarce" cards in nice condition for a great price with an eye to setting them aside and using them for trades of cards I do collect. Does anyone else do this? Just wondering...
Old 08-29-2012, 10:24 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I've done this from time to time too...You can't pass up a great deal, just because you've already got one...
Old 08-29-2012, 10:36 AM
Greg Mitchell

It's a fine idea if you have the cash and it's an issue like t206 which you know you can sell or trade easily. Many issues that's very iffy.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:38 AM
pete ullman

I have done this in the past...and continue to do so...but honestly it hasn't proven to be a great strategy for me as i usually sell/trade them for pretty close to what I have paid for them when I tire of having doubles in my collection...or desire to raise funds.

But there are a few cards I will hoard any opportunity I can just because I know how tough/undervalued they are...and hopefully someday someone will need them!!!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Rob Miller

I do this as well when I see a real steal out there. Often times it is a card I don't have, because then worst case scenario I keep the card and make it fit somehow into my collection.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:18 AM
Mark Fox

I have done this occasionally, and I always happen to stumble across the card. It’s always related to a set I’m currently interested in and results in a double for me. I’ve never gone out of my way to search for cards like this, I just don’t see it worth my time.

And if I’m making the trade through the site here, I always bend in favor of the trade, more often than not taking less than “market value” in favor of getting something I really need/want in return and helping a fellow collector out at the same time. I’ve found that this is true with just about all of the individuals I have dealt with purchases and trades on here. As a result it really needs to be an unbelievable deal for me to take advantage of such a situation.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:21 AM
Paul

Yes. These are all available in trade for other signed pre-war T206 cards:

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 08-29-2012, 11:40 AM
Matt Hall

I've found myself buying stuff I don't collect, for the purpose of trade... Although I haven't traded anything maybe it's a denial phase of a bigger problem.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Rob Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew H View Post
I've found myself buying stuff I don't collect, for the purpose of trade... Although I haven't traded anything maybe it's a denial phase of a bigger problem.
You could be on to something, the only trades I made were my money for more cards
Old 08-29-2012, 12:00 PM

Default Wow!

WOW! That is an impressive collection of tradebait! I suppose it is 'only' signed pre-war you want in trade, no exceptions? :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
Yes. These are all available in trade for other signed pre-war T206 cards:
Old 08-29-2012, 12:17 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Since I was 12 years old and manning a dealer table at a monthly card show in Northridge.

If anything I obtained too much inventory over the last year or two because prices were so freakin' low on so many things. How can I pass up a tough card I paid $100 for when offered for $40?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-29-2012, 12:23 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default absolutely!

Even within my niche of T206s, I'll find myself buying stuff that I know I won't keep if I can get it for a relative bargain. It generally doesn't move as quickly as I hope, but there have been times that it has been very handy to have some trade inventory available.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

I do it quite often, I also end up buying sets or large lots for only a card or two and try to trade or sell off the others. I have done a good amount of trading and it can be pretty fun, much different than just buying. Having a nice inventory helps a lot.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:25 PM

I've done it with Old Judge cards and I know others have too. Basically some cards are so rare that one person having two of them will drive up the price, so collectors won't let them go cheap, even if they have one already.

That being said, I'm not good at trading. I have at least 100 extra t206 cards I've never sold/traded, and got them all at least eight years ago, some over ten years ago. I have a handful of extra Old Judge cards too and I specifically bought an e92 Mathewson off ebay just because it was extremely cheap, with the intention of using it as trade bait. That was in 2002, still got it...
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 08-29-2012, 09:54 PM
Bruce C@rter

I do it all the time also.
We need to start another trade center in the b/s/t forum so we can get together on trades. Even three and four way trades.