NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Jim VB

Default Sheer Genius in Retailing!

(Hope this isn't a board member.)

Step 1: A guy buys a card for $13,000 -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320537449326

Step 2: Two months later, he lists it for $14,900 (absolutely nothing wrong with that)-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110565884543

Step 3: When it gets no bids in 7 days, he relists it with a BIN of $15,900
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120604789739

And, somehow, in the process, he's managed to ignore a decent picture of the card from the first auction and use an awful one in his two.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Jason

Default Jim, don't you understand?

A higher price makes it more exclusive and thus, more appealing, and thusmore, even more expensiveness!!!

Last edited by JasonL; 08-05-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Jim D

That's a nice card... I would have listed it for $20 k myself and that way when an offer over 15k comes, you take it, seller makes money and buyer thinks he stole a great deal.

he isn't the sharpest tool in the drawer with his pictures. but at least he did include Free Shipping!

cause who would want to pay the extra $4.. oh wait that is too much, $3

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 08-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Doug C.

He might have an excuse with not using the picture from the first auction. I don't have a scanner at home so I would usually just save the pictures from the original auction, but apparently eBay has changed it so you can't just right click and save the image like you used to. If I was that guy I would have at least asked the seller if he could email me the original scans or at worst buy a cheap scanner for a card that expensive.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Doug C.

I just went back and read the description. Apparently it's the "mac daddy of elite baseball cards" which more than justifies the price increase. I wonder if he writes descriptions for auction house catalogs on the side...

Last edited by Doug; 08-05-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Dave

I don't know. I'd argue his pictures are actually much clearer..........though all of them are fairly horrible.

A cheap $50 scanner from Walmart would seem like a sound investment for anybody dealing with cards of this magnitude.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Jim VB

Comparison (with current auction rotated):

The newer one is more clear, but I'm always annoyed by sideways images!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ebay Mantle.jpg (9.2 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg Ebay Mantle 2.jpg (23.2 KB, 162 views)
Old 08-05-2010, 01:09 PM

Doug,

Even though you cannot right-click the picture, you could click on the larger picture, then press the PrtScn button on your keyboard. That copies the entire screen. Then place that on Adobe or if you don't have that, just place it on a Word document and save as a jpg.

Cy
Old 08-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cy2009 View Post
Doug,

Even though you cannot right-click the picture, you could click on the larger picture, then press the PrtScn button on your keyboard. That copies the entire screen. Then place that on Adobe or if you don't have that, just place it on a Word document and save as a jpg.

Cy
I right clicked on both pictures and saved them for the example above.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Doug C.

Apparently it depends on the browser being used. I was using Firefox before (as I normally do) and it wouldn't let me right click and select "save image", but I opened Internet Explorer and tried it with no problem.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
Comparison (with current auction rotated):

The newer one is more clear, but I'm always annoyed by sideways images!
Yeah, looks like he was using a digital camera and wanted to use the flash for a clearer picture. Unfortunately you can only avoid flash glare coming off the slab by shooting it sideways.

Then again I only know this by shooting larger framed pieces behind glass. Cards are what scanners are for.................unless you're spending a lot more money on your camera set-up.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Apparently it depends on the browser being used. I was using Firefox before (as I normally do) and it wouldn't let me right click and select "save image", but I opened Internet Explorer and tried it with no problem.
Doug,

I'm so glad someone else has had that experience. I always figured I had some setting wrong in Firefox that wouldn't let me right-click on images to save them. Every now and then I catch myself trying to do it, realize which browser I'm using then switch to IE.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Doug,

I'm so glad someone else has had that experience. I always figured I had some setting wrong in Firefox that wouldn't let me right-click on images to save them. Every now and then I catch myself trying to do it, realize which browser I'm using then switch to IE.
I actually thought eBay put in some preventive measure to keep people from stealing images from other people's auctions. I should have know better than that!
Old 08-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Patrick N.

Default Doosh

As the expression guees, there is a douche born every mintute...(I'm referring to the guy with the sideways pic)
Old 08-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Doug C.

Warning: The following statement contains extreme sarcasm and may not be suitable for all audiences: I'm not sure why the guy even needs scans. Everyone knows that third party grading was created so that you could buy a card sight unseen and know exactly what you are getting.

Last edited by Doug; 08-06-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Doug,

Gentlemen, I present to you IE View: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/35/

Last edited by 4815162342; 08-09-2010 at 12:46 PM.