NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-22-2022, 06:44 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Default T206 with light grey writing under caption

I picked up this Doc white with what looks like lighter grey writing underneath the caption.

img844 - Copy.jpg

img844 - Copy (2).jpg

I don't remember seeing any other T206's like this but I do remember this Lord T215 that is similar.

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=24837
Old 06-22-2022, 06:58 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Maybe it’s the scan or my eyes, but the frame around the picture looks awfully light grey too.
Old 06-22-2022, 07:18 PM
Art Martineau

Default T206 with light grey writing under caption

Nice pick up Patrick! This is kind of similar the T206 Anderson cards that seem to have a double caption.
Old 06-23-2022, 05:31 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Maybe it’s the scan or my eyes, but the frame around the picture looks awfully light grey too.
I think some of what you're seeing is the shift of the frame or the light grey, on the lower left portion the edge of the light grey appears to be the frame in the smaller scan but the frame is actually to the right in the image however the lower right hand side of the frame does look lighter.
img844.jpg

My thinking is the shift is why the lighter caption is there but I always assumed the caption was one pass and if it was two why don't we see the lighter one on cards like these
Bush Captionn Shift Sold to Rob D 10-19-18 For 0.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelsart View Post
Nice pick up Patrick! This is kind of similar the T206 Anderson cards that seem to have a double caption.
Thanks Art. It is similar to the Anderson but the colors are the same on the partial double caption on the Anderson.
img818.jpg
Old 06-23-2022, 06:18 AM
Colton
Colt0n Eng.lish

Pat, It doesn’t look like the exact same letters exist with the lighter shade writing as in the caption on your Doc White. I see multiple differences, but check out between the G and the O in Chicago, whatever is in lighter shade above those letters is most definitely not a G or an O.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:44 PM
Steve Birmingham

That's a very cool card.
A couple ideas on how it happened, and a shift isn't one. The black is shifted up and right compared to the gray elsewhere, so having gray be up and left of the black caption doesn't work for a simple shift.

One possibility is that it's a remnant of when a worn plate was resurfaced and the transfers re-done. If the resurfacing wasn't complete, a misplaced and partial caption could be the result.

The other idea is that the caption was mistakenly added to the gray plate and only partly erased. Or that it transferred poorly and they just didn't bother fixing it.

On a different track, I've mentioned before that some cards show some indication that a two color press was used. This is a great example.
Yellow and Gray are both a bit left of the other colors, but are registered very well to each other.
Brown is shifted up and right along with black, but it's hard to tel if they're shifted the same distance.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:51 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineunder71 View Post
Pat, It doesn’t look like the exact same letters exist with the lighter shade writing as in the caption on your Doc White. I see multiple differences, but check out between the G and the O in Chicago, whatever is in lighter shade above those letters is most definitely not a G or an O.
Yeah I noticed that too Colton. Here a couple that I tried to enhance the letters on, it looks like it could possibly be an N over the E in white.

img844 - Copy (2).jpg
img844 - Copy (2) - Copy.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
That's a very cool card.
A couple ideas on how it happened, and a shift isn't one. The black is shifted up and right compared to the gray elsewhere, so having gray be up and left of the black caption doesn't work for a simple shift.

One possibility is that it's a remnant of when a worn plate was resurfaced and the transfers re-done. If the resurfacing wasn't complete, a misplaced and partial caption could be the result.

The other idea is that the caption was mistakenly added to the gray plate and only partly erased. Or that it transferred poorly and they just didn't bother fixing it.

On a different track, I've mentioned before that some cards show some indication that a two color press was used. This is a great example.
Yellow and Gray are both a bit left of the other colors, but are registered very well to each other.
Brown is shifted up and right along with black, but it's hard to tel if they're shifted the same distance.
Thanks Steve I see what you mean.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:24 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

I wish i can actually view those images on this post to see the comparison. Anyways, at least I can view what card you guys are talking about from the REA link. A very interesting card. Congrats!
Old 06-25-2022, 08:30 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskim View Post
I wish i can actually view those images on this post to see the comparison. Anyways, at least I can view what card you guys are talking about from the REA link. A very interesting card. Congrats!
You should be able to see these Chris.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-25-2022, 08:42 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Good morning Pat!

Thank you for posting those White pics that I can see. Really appreciated!

That Lord is definitely an interesting card, it was actually from a PSA case then crossover to SGC and back to PSA.

(Edited... just realized you picked up the White card, not the Lord t215)

Last edited by chriskim; 06-25-2022 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-25-2022, 05:05 PM
P@trick R.omolo

After doing some more research it looks like it is like most other print flaws and it's a particular sheet position flaw.

I found another one like the one I picked up and besides the caption flaw they both share another flaw where there is a spot of yellow missing.

0.jpg
Old 06-25-2022, 05:14 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

It is interesting that the "ghosting" of those captions are in grey and not brown which was the color being used for printing caption.
Old 06-25-2022, 05:20 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskim View Post
It is interesting that the "ghosting" of those captions are in grey and not brown which was the color being used for printing caption.
Steve's explanation seems to make the most sense so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
That's a very cool card.