NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-13-2015, 07:40 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default How to crack a $50,000 to $100,000 card.....

You crack it very carefully.......

This is no longer on a pop report.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg peck1.jpg (75.1 KB, 1467 views)
File Type: jpg peck2.jpg (75.5 KB, 1464 views)
File Type: jpg peck3.jpg (74.2 KB, 1463 views)
File Type: jpg peck4.jpg (75.1 KB, 1464 views)
File Type: jpg peck5.jpg (75.1 KB, 1469 views)
File Type: jpg peck6.jpg (74.7 KB, 1464 views)
File Type: jpg peck7.jpg (76.5 KB, 1467 views)
File Type: jpg peck8.jpg (73.9 KB, 1472 views)
File Type: jpg peck9.jpg (76.2 KB, 1464 views)
File Type: jpg peck10.jpg (76.8 KB, 1459 views)

Last edited by Leon; 09-13-2015 at 07:40 AM.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:55 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

I've cracked plenty of cards, the most valuable being a '57 Brooks Robinson.....but for a card like this I would probably have to hire a brain surgeon for his/her steady hands!
Old 09-13-2015, 08:23 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
I've cracked plenty of cards, the most valuable being a '57 Brooks Robinson.....but for a card like this I would probably have to hire a brain surgeon for his/her steady hands!
Would a smart surgeon be good enough?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:37 AM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Would a smart surgeon be good enough?
Probably...do you know one?
Old 09-13-2015, 08:44 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Balls of steel...
Old 09-13-2015, 08:47 AM
Jeff Lowe

Default Scary

Yikes !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (11.4 KB, 1358 views)
Old 09-13-2015, 08:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

A good friend said I shouldn't leave this information out, so here is the update too. It will be physically given to the NYPL next week, when someone from the NYPL comes to Dallas for it, but the decision has been made for a while.. Thanks to everyone who had patience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg letter.jpg (67.6 KB, 1027 views)

Last edited by Leon; 09-13-2015 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:17 AM
Joe M.

Leon, in that 5th picture, the screwdriver looks very close to the card.

Has to be tough to give that card up

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 09-13-2015, 09:50 AM
Jeff Lowe

Doing the right thing . Should be on the front page of the New York Times .
Old 09-13-2015, 10:22 AM
Dave Foster

For future ref - that is an industrial strength sd and way to big for the project. It invites disaster to the card and your other hand / wrist if it slips. I have always successfully used about a 4" sd which has a much thinner blade on SGC slabs, and so, much easier to pop a top corner seam. Then gradually work a slightly larger sd along the top seam, leaving the first sd in place. Never have had to use snips on SGC slabs, since, like the older PSA slabs, they are fairly easy to open.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:45 AM
Steve Birmingham

I'm assuming they wanted it unslabbed to save space?

Steve B
Old 09-13-2015, 10:52 AM
S Gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I'm assuming they wanted it unslabbed to save space?

Steve B
Could also save on mailing cost ---- penny sleeve and a 50 cent stamp
Old 09-13-2015, 11:33 AM
Owen R

Wow, that card is spectacular, I wondered why the card wasn't listed online when your auction started.

But, that is extremely kind of you Leon. I just read about how it was stolen, and sold on by Mastro (good ol' Mastro ), but you deserve a medal for being so generous, and I think Al Spalding would be proud of you.

Best Wishes,

~Owen
Old 09-13-2015, 11:41 AM
Ken McMillan

I would have left it slabbed just to protect the card from the elements. As surgeon, I always error on the side of safety

Last edited by kmac32; 09-13-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
I would have left it slabbed just to protect the card from the elements. As surgeon, I always error on the side of safety
There were multiple reasons for not leaving it in the slab. It was graded around 15 yrs ago when grading (especially of these) was more subjective. It didn't belong in a 50 holder by today's standards. Rest assured it is currently in an archival sleeve in an archival top loader, cushioned against one piece of a 3 inch thick screwdown holder and inside not 1 but 2 individually sealed, very heavy duty, water tight baggies. It is being hand delivered. I am not sure how it could be more safe.

As for cracking it, I had multipe devices handy but chose the one that I felt was the most steady for me to use. The picture where the screwdriver is above the card, makes it seem it could be touching it, but it isn't. The card is lower and rests inside and slightly below the gasket. From that point the srcrewdriver went backwards and out of the holder. Then I just flipped the edges and it popped exremely easily. No harm done and the card was never touched (as far as I could tell).
Old 09-13-2015, 12:04 PM
Banned

too funny.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:04 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
A good friend said I shouldn't leave this information out, so here is the update too. It will be physically given to the NYPL next week, when someone from the NYPL comes to Dallas for it, but the decision has been made for a while.. Thanks to everyone who had patience.
good shit, leon. seriously!

not sure the intricate details of how it all went down and obviously there was some reluctance in the beginning stages, but this was the absolute right outcome in my eye. the selling of the collection for daughters college was the reason for the liquidation, but in my opinion what you did will teach her above and beyond what **ANY** institution could do.

great fn job!

btw: there's a song by loudin wainwright entitled: "that's my daughter in the water". if ya don't know it, give it a listen...
Old 09-13-2015, 12:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidonCollects View Post
Wow, that card is spectacular, I wondered why the card wasn't listed online when your auction started.

But, that is extremely kind of you Leon. I just read about how it was stolen, and sold on by Mastro (good ol' Mastro ), but you deserve a medal for being so generous, and I think Al Spalding would be proud of you.

Best Wishes,

~Owen
this is rewriting history.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:07 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrompa View Post
Doing the right thing . Should be on the front page of the New York Times .
+1, I don't think a lot of people would have the gumption to do this for such a high dollar card. If this were me, to be honest, I'd probably see if it were possible for me to legally wriggle out of this since the buyer didn't know it was stolen when purchased. Definitely huge kudos.

Last edited by glchen; 09-13-2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
+1, I don't think a lot of people would have the gumption to do this for such a high dollar card. If this were me, to be honest, I'd probably see if it were possible for me to legally wriggle out of this since the buyer didn't know it was stolen when purchased. Definitely huge kudos.

gary, he did, but came to the conclusion that it would be best to return it, only after negotiating with sgc to have it re-holdered from a 4 to a 2 holder, leon did sgc pay the difference under their guarantee? Otherwise, why bother negotiating having it re-graded and why even bother cracking it out of the holder at all. you would just send it in, in the holder it was in already.

Last edited by travrosty; 09-13-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by begsu1013 View Post
good shit, leon. seriously!

not sure the intricate details of how it all went down and obviously there was some reluctance in the beginning stages, but this was the absolute right outcome in my eye. the selling of the collection for daughters college was the reason for the liquidation, but in my opinion what you did will teach her above and beyond what **ANY** institution could do.

great fn job!

btw: there's a song by loudin wainwright entitled: "that's my daughter in the water". if ya don't know it, give it a listen...
Is it better than Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:22 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
gary, he did, but came to the conclusion that it would be best to return it, only after negotiating with sgc to have it re-holdered from a 4 to a 2 holder, leon did sgc pay the difference under their guarantee? Otherwise, why bother negotiating having it re-graded and why even bother cracking it out of the holder at all. you would just send it in, in the holder it was in already.
It will be given to the NYPL raw as stated above, well secured and protected.

Last edited by Leon; 09-13-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:22 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Well done Leon.
Very glad to hear this story end this way.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:37 PM

Leon...a real mensch.

Mark
Old 09-13-2015, 03:16 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Travis I'm sure that's the case and a fair resolution. Hopefully Leon got his original investment back, and perhaps a little extra. The card is out of a holder it didn't belong in, and the library has their stolen property back.

Hopefully all who were so vocal in the previous thread will see that Leon simply needed some time to make a difficult decision and ultimately made the correct one.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:28 PM
Luke Lyon

You just need a butter knife for SGC cases. Stick it in the indent and wiggle back and forth until the case opens. Do it on all sides and take the top and bottom halves apart with your hands. Takes like 5 seconds once you get used to it, and more importantly, is very safe.

Last edited by Luke; 09-13-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:54 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeLyon View Post
You just need a butter knife for SGC cases. Stick it in the indent and wiggle back and forth until the case opens. Do it on all sides and take the top and bottom halves apart with your hands. Takes like 5 seconds once you get used to it, and more importantly, is very safe.
+1 I use a vegetable knife and it takes about 5 seconds at the most.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Travis I'm sure that's the case and a fair resolution. Hopefully Leon got his original investment back, and perhaps a little extra. The card is out of a holder it didn't belong in, and the library has their stolen property back.

Hopefully all who were so vocal in the previous thread will see that Leon simply needed some time to make a difficult decision and ultimately made the correct one.
only if he was going to get paid for it,

why was the card put in the heritage auction at the sgc grade it was in, a 4, wasnt the ink marks on the back obvious?

why not reholder it in its correct grade BEFORE trying to auction it off?

wouldnt that be the right thing to do as well?

I am hard pressed to believe Leon doesn't know the difference in card grades and what constitutes ink mark and the consequences of ink marks on the back as pertaining to the grade?

The library doesnt care what holder the card is in. The decision wasnt difficult, it was easy,

Getting paid for the card was the difficult part. if only all the people that had to make difficult (but the right) decisions but werent paid for them could be so lucky.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

You are "sure that's the case" based on what?? Leon did not buy the card as a 50, he bought it raw and submitted it. So there is no question here of SGC compensating him.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:30 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
You are "sure that's the case" based on what?? Leon did not buy the card as a 50, he bought it raw and submitted it. So there is no question here of SGC compensating him.
I assumed he was being compensated by SGC, otherwise why remove it from the holder? "I'm sure that's the case" was more a figure of speech rather than a declaration of 100% certainty, although I will still assume it's true until proven otherwise.

I did not realize he purchased the card raw.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I assumed he was being compensated by SGC, otherwise why remove it from the holder? "I'm sure that's the case" was more a figure of speech rather than a declaration of 100% certainty, although I will still assume it's true until proven otherwise.

I did not realize he purchased the card raw.
You have no knowledge of the circumstances here. Enough said.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:41 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector View Post
Probably...do you know one?
More than one.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 09-13-2015, 04:45 PM
Banned

It is in his best interest to put it at auction as a 4 when it can make him the most money, then when that option was dashed, it makes him the most money for him to drop it down to a 2, because I am sure he was outraged that sgc overgraded it and he demands satisfaction? this is what people dont like about the hobby. What say you leon?
Old 09-13-2015, 04:57 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
It is in his best interest to put it at auction as a 4 when it can make him the most money, then when that option was dashed, it makes him the most money for him to drop it down to a 2, because I am sure he was outraged that sgc overgraded it and he demands satisfaction? this is what people dont like about the hobby. What say you leon?
I am not answering you because I don't think you are educated enough on the subject to debate it.

Last edited by Leon; 09-13-2015 at 05:45 PM. Reason: a more kind response
Old 09-13-2015, 05:52 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

"You know nothing Jon Snow"
Old 09-13-2015, 05:53 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

I liked your first answer better Leon!!

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 09-13-2015, 06:59 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
You have no knowledge of the circumstances here. Enough said.
I have some knowledge of the circumstances but do not have all of the information. I have formed an opinion based on what I do know. If you know something I don't, perhaps you could share it with us so we can be as informed as you are.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

Don't let not knowing the key facts get in the way of a good opinion. You seem to do this time and again. I already told you, Leon bought the card raw, and SGC is not compensating him (nor is there any reason it should). What else would you like to know?

Old 09-13-2015, 07:49 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Don't let not knowing the key facts get in the way of a good opinion. You seem to do this time and again. I already told you, Leon bought the card raw, and SGC is not compensating him (nor is there any reason it should). What else would you like to know?
Since you seem to be an expert tell us the whole story.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:55 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

To quote the immortal Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?"

Seriously, Guys - this kind of crap is ruining the forum...just drop it and get back to watching Djokovich v Federer.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-13-2015, 08:03 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
I suppose I get that from poker. I don't always have all of the information, but need to make decisions based on what I do know or believe. If you know he wasn't compensated then it appears I was incorrect in my assumption.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:21 PM
Larry

I certainly do not know all of the facts, but it just seems to me like a wonderful, selfless thing to do! It's a pleasant relief from all those "it's all about me" people, of which there are far too many. Way to go, Leon!

Larry
Old 09-13-2015, 09:28 PM
D Brown

Curious, was this known to have been taken, or was it part of the NYPL's infamous ephemera-discarding episode(s)?

Or just unknown how it left the library?

David
Old 09-13-2015, 10:05 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

it's most certainly known.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:15 PM

At this point... I do believe that we know more about How T206's were produced then How this Bad Boy took a stroll from the NYPL.

Sir LeoN...

Through all the Threads of Hoopla, I fir one had crystal faith in You!
iN the end... Character, Integrity and just plain BeiN from Texas stood the Test!

And Luke is RiGHT...
However Luke, Can I watch Baseball in stead?
Tennis gives me a Headache
Old 09-13-2015, 10:24 PM
Banned

The issue has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads. The search tool is your friend. The fact that it is being returned to the NYPL feels like the main point of the thread. Cracking the card is just an interesting and entertaining side note.

Some people are never satisified, but I am sure that matters little. In the end, a class move.

Last edited by sago; 09-13-2015 at 10:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-14-2015, 04:00 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdenny View Post
At this point... I do believe that we know more about How T206's were produced then How this Bad Boy took a stroll from the NYPL.

Sir LeoN...

Through all the Threads of Hoopla, I fir one had crystal faith in You!
iN the end... Character, Integrity and just plain BeiN from Texas stood the Test!

And Luke is RiGHT...
However Luke, Can I watch Baseball in stead?
Tennis gives me a Headache
Hailing from Texas has nothing to do with it.
I'm guessing people from other States have character and integrity as well.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sago View Post
The issue has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads. The search tool is your friend. The fact that it is being returned to the NYPL feels like the main point of the thread. Cracking the card is just an interesting and entertaining side note.

Some people are never satisified, but I am sure that matters little. In the end, a class move.
one sided discussion
Old 09-14-2015, 11:16 AM
Ma.tt Lan.dry

Quote:
one sided discussion
Now that is funny. The threads on this have hardly been one sided, lots of members have been beating up on the owner of the forum about this card.

I don't have a strong opinion on this mess one way or the other, but I've been around bulletin boards/forums for 15 years and I've never seen a board owner allow the members to discuss as openly as this issue has been discussed. I mean look at your posts on this thread, you are adding nothing to the discussion other than negativity and your posts are allowed to remain.

You can argue the process but bottom line....the card is back with the rightful owner, and the only party that is out on this transaction (AFAIK) is Leon.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:28 PM
James R. Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by japhi View Post
Now that is funny. The threads on this have hardly been one sided, lots of members have been beating up on the owner of the forum about this card.

I don't have a strong opinion on this mess one way or the other, but I've been around bulletin boards/forums for 15 years and I've never seen a board owner allow the members to discuss as openly as this issue has been discussed. I mean look at your posts on this thread, you are adding nothing to the discussion other than negativity and your posts are allowed to remain.

You can argue the process but bottom line....the card is back with the rightful owner, and the only party that is out on this transaction (AFAIK) is Leon.
+1 Time to stop with all the negativity!