NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-26-2004, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Default Polar Bear redemption coupon

Posted By: Morrie

So, I was at a card show today and I saw something I hadn't seen before. Figuring it would, if nothing else, be an interesting conversation piece, I picked it up.

It's a redemption coupon from Polar Bear tobacco, expiring in 1911. Since there may be folks who have information about it who don't read this thread until the pic expires, I'm going to post the full text below. But first, my question.

How common are these? I searched the archive here for them and turned up nothing, and a variety of google searches also turned up nothing aside from one long-defunct ebay auction with no final price that I could locate. I'm guessing it falls more into the "tobacciana" category, since the various cards were inserted directly into Polar Bear packs and wouldn't have been part of the redemption campaign, but I thought it would be a neat piece to display with some of my t206 cards, regardless.

I probably over-paid for it, but I'm pleased with it all the same. Any information anyone can offer would be much appreciated - the dealer I bought it from was also curious about how common these were (he's been dealing in Ohio since 1980 and hasn't seen another).

thanks

Morrie

[[full text, front of coupon:]]

11-19
POLAR BEAR
Lurhman & Wilbert Tobacco Co., Manufacturer.
Factory No. 6, First Dist., State of Ohio

WHOLE COUPON

THIS COUPON is of value in securing the articles fully described
in our CATALOGUE, which may be obtained by forwarding 2 cents in
stamps for its potge to LUHRMAN & WILBERN TOBACCO CO., Mid-
dletown, Ohio.

LUHRMAN & WILBERN TOBACCO CO.,
Middletown, Ohio.

WRITE PLAINLY Coupons sent by express not received unless prepaid.

This offer expires June 30, 1911. OVER)

[[full text, rear of coupon:]]

Polar Bear coupons are also
redeemable in connection
with any other coupons
issued by this Company.
Lurhman & Wilbern Tobacco Co.,
Middletown, Ohio.

Coupons of Luhrman & Wilbern Company bearing
expiration date of November 30, 1907, and
those bearing later expiration dates, will
be redeemable until June 30, 1911.
(OVER)

Old 09-26-2004, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I've also had a Polar Bear booklet with a list of items you could redeem the coupons for.

Old 09-26-2004, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

They are fairly scarce but not too expensive, generally. I have one and think I paid around $15-$20 for it...not too long ago.....pretty cool item .....regards

Old 09-27-2004, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Art M.

I have some extra Polar Bear tobacco coupons available. Email if interested.
Thanks,
Art

Old 09-27-2004, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Morrie

Thanks for the information. I did overpay, if not by a huge amount, and I like the coupon. Now I guess I'll just be on the lookout for one of the catalogues...

thanks,

Morrie

Old 09-27-2004, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

If I get around to scaning it, I own the original record from 1909-1912 from the Polar Bear factory that shows the total numberof packs produced and how much they sold for - interesting...