NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Barry Sloate

JP- you have the right to keep your collection private. But if that is your wish, it's wrong to come onto a thread with the juicy detail that you know about three BL460, something this board would love to have details of, and then say it's private. If I were you I wouldn't have even brought it up.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abravefan11 View Post
JP like many others has become a lightening rod for a few that no matter how hobby related one of his posts may be, they will use the opportunity to post something sarcastic or get in a good zinger.

If they don't like him, think he's a bad guy, think he's not knowledgeable, etc., then just don't post in his thread.
Tim,

If you're talking about my posts, you could not be more wrong. Certainly, I have had a disagreement or two with JP in the past. But none of them has anything to do with this thread. He started a thread complaining about a problem he sees in the hobby, yet he is willing to do absolutely nothing to fix this problem. He received several suggestions on how to address it and merely explained why he would not follow any of them. He won't post on the CU boards because they'll delete it. He won't write them an email because they won't respond. That's a silly approach.

Instead, he attacked several people (one of whom had not even posted in the thread.) He seems to think he "owns" any thread he starts and, therefore, can control any opinions in this thread.

In my opinion, you don't have a right to complain about a problem if you refuse to take even the simplest steps to remedy said problem.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Barry Sloate

Leon- that was my implied point. If JP claims to know of three rare cards, but won't disclose them, the board of course won't believe him. I didn't either. But now he says he wants to keep it private, and my response was he never should have brought it up (and there was the slight possibility he was being truthful, and I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt).
Old 04-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Tim

Jim - I wasn't talking about you in regards to this thread.

There is a lot wrong with both sides here.

I agree if you're going to post a question regarding a hobby problem you should care enough to want to do something about it as several people (including me) suggested. When people do respond with ideas calling them "worthless" is not the way to win favor.

I think debate is the pathway to knowledge, but in many cases these threads are reduced to playground name calling and that doesn't accomplish anything.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abravefan11 View Post
Jim - I wasn't talking about you in regards to this thread.
Thanks Tim!
Old 04-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Barry Sloate

Ruining humanity since 1955...now that's funny.

That's what this board needs more of.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Ted Zanidakis

In your Post # 47 you stated.......
" Your inquiry as to how many t-206s I have was immediately following your statement that you own thousands.
I know exactly why you asked that question, and so do you. "

OK, so now you can read our minds....and, you know exactly why I asked that question ? You amaze me, but you
are not as intuitive as you think you are.

You are totally off-base in attempting to read my mind. I was interested in having a reasonable discussion with you
on the topic you initiated here...."T206 master set".

As, this topic has always intrigued me. But, you blew it with your apparent paranoia to anything asked of you. Fur-
thermore, you twist the discussion around and become combative.

This is not the way conversations are conducted on in this forum.

TED Z
Old 04-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Dan Bretta

Ted, you attacked JP in your very first reply in this thread. It was pretty clear to me that JP was referencing the PSA registry and not non-graded collectors. I understand that many of you guys are upset at JP for certain things that irritate you, but you don't need to bring them to every post he makes. If someone irritates you that much you need to start using the ignore button if you can't help but reply negatively to everything posted.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Jim R

I wanted to know what 3 BL 460s because that would have mattered in my response.
I do not attack anyone-I stay away from the negative threads.
I share my information and my collection and would have had a great answer and it would have been a great thread.

I am close to not posting anymore. I like hanging out here and sharing my information but this is getting to be a bit much.

I would not have asked about the 3 BLs if they were not mentioned-and it matters so I can answer accurately.

maybe I could have asked better but I have a pretty good rep for being easy.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Dan Bretta

I wasn't referencing you at all Jim. I saw your reply to JP in the BL460 thread and it seemed reasonable to me.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Jim R

Jim- My response above was aimed a little bit in your direction, not solely, but a little bit. It just seems like every single thing that JP says he gets attacked on, and that isn't right. I went to the other thread and do see you were really just asking to see if he owned BL460's that were confirmed or not. My apologies to you. As for everyone else.....lets try to be civil and friendly. thanks....
Old 04-05-2010, 04:27 PM

How three known BL460s from years ago has any relevance to the Cy Young I asked about is beyond me. I should've just said "I've never owned a BL460 with a clean back." As I told Leon, I knew it was a mistake as soon as I submitted it.

There was no reason to hold valuable information hostage until I answered a question that I wanted to keep private. None of them are for sale or are in any registries, unless they were graded VERY recently, so I'm not sure what parallel you could draw from those to the Young. Can you please explain it to me?

EDIT: and remember too, Jim, that I did directly offer to you discuss which I owned and when, via email, but for some reason you decided to ignore that offer and make a stink on the board about it.

Last edited by JP; 04-05-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:33 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Well I certainly didn’t attack him, I read his post the same way Ed did above. Even when I suggested perhaps he should contact PSA with his thoughts I was told my input was a “worthless suggestion”.

Then he proceeded to talk to me in ALL CAPS like I'm an 8yr old kid..asking me if GET IT NOW?

I have no idea of why he would be so sensitive don’t really care either. My only connection to JP is I’ve been high bidder on his Plank card in REA that Rob Lifson gave him such a sweet deal to list etc. How do I know this card is his he told the board, which for a guy who likes to keep his collection private he seems to share a lot of info?
Old 04-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Dan B......

Once again, someone (you in this case) steps in here and criticizes me without being aware of the entire story.
I have had past misunderstandings with this guy "JP". At first I was very generous with him by sharing my T206
expertise. After a while he became a nuisance with recurring PM's. Even, after I stopped replying to them. He
started again today with his PM's, so I blocked them.

Do you understand now, Dan ?

What bothers me in this instance is that he (and sometimes others) view the Graded Company's data and they
think that this is "the real world" of BB card collecting.
And, this is so far removed from the truth. I think that you can agree with that statement ?

Regards,

TED Z
Old 04-05-2010, 04:42 PM

Sorry, John. Reacted out of frustation, because like Ted before you, you made reference to raw card collections out there, which had nothing to do with what my thread was about. I'm obviously am on the defensive because I'm constantly under attack, but I apologize for taking it out on you.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
What bothers me in this instance is that he (and sometimes others) view the Graded Company's data and they think that this is "the real world" of BB card collecting.
Ted, Regardless is your past history with JP his initial post said nothing about TPGed cards being "the real world."

He simply asked why when it was common knowledge to many on this board through your and Scot Reader's work that their registry could be so far from something accurate.

Then in your first post you added "So, try to get your facts straight before you post."

How is that not combative?

And if there was a history and you feel the need to igonore his PM's than why not his threads as well?
Old 04-05-2010, 04:51 PM

Ted, your PMs to me were just as annoying to me, just so you know....

It is obvious from this latest post from you that the point is still being completely missed. My thread was about the innacuracy of the PSA registry set composition. That's it. It had NOTHING to do with raw t-206s and collections that aren't public knowledge. Somehow you keep mentioning the real world of card collecting as though that has anything to do with my post!
Old 04-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
... which had nothing to do with what my thread was about.

Once you post something on the board, it's the board's thread, not yours. People will react to it in a variety of ways. No one, I repeat, no one, took this thread off the rails faster than you did. As soon as someone responded with an opinion different than yours, you called for the moderators to control them. It's childish.

If you don't want to talk about something (Ebay deals, T206 Plank, BL 460, or suggestions to solve a problem with PSA), then simply don't talk about it. You start these discussions then immediately demand that the mods silence anyone who replies. Why bother?

In your short history on this board, you've had run-ins of varying sizes with Ted Z, Jim R, Rob D, Wonka, Barry, myself and several other members. We're not all out to get you JP. None of us are unbalanced. You have consistently told the moderators how to do their job. To me, that level of conflict is very telling.

Last edited by Jim VB; 04-05-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Barry Sloate

Well I'm unbalanced...but not the others.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Well I'm unbalanced...but not the others.
Yeah, maybe. But you hide it so well, no one knows it!
Old 04-05-2010, 05:06 PM

Jim VB, I see you've posted numerous times in this thread. You may have forgotten that since you started talking about my kids a SECOND unwarranted time, I told you that I was putting you on my ignore list. If you have something to say to me, PM me. Otherwise, I'm not interested in anything you have to say in public as it is all for show. You can comedian/bully your way to popularity if you want, but I won't give you any more of my time than I feel you deserve.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Once again, someone (you in this case) steps in here and criticizes me without being aware of the entire story.
I have had past misunderstandings with this guy "JP". At first I was very generous with him by sharing my T206
expertise. After a while he became a nuisance with recurring PM's. Even, after I stopped replying to them. He
started again today with his PM's, so I blocked them.

Do you understand now, Dan ?

What bothers me in this instance is that he (and sometimes others) view the Graded Company's data and they
think that this is "the real world" of BB card collecting.
And, this is so far removed from the truth. I think that you can agree with that statement ?

Regards,

TED Z
Ted, you misunderstood JP's original post and attacked him for something he wasn't even arguing. It should have been clear to you on a second read of the post. I have no idea what goes on in PM's on this site (contrary to the warped views of a few paranoid individuals). So if you have problems with JP I'd suggest putting him in your ignore list. I'd be happy to let you know how to do that if you don't already know.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
Once you post something on the board, it's the board's thread, not yours. People will react to it in a variety of ways. No one, I repeat, no one, took this thread off the rails faster than you did.
I'd beg to differ... Ted Z in the very first reply in this thread told him to get his facts straight about something JP wasn't even discussing.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Jim VB

Dan,

JP's original post talked about collecting a Master Set of T206's and using the PSA list as a checklist. he then claimed that "SIDE NOTE: Apparently Levi is the only guy on earth interested in making a go at it!"

He later expanded that he meant the PSA Set Registry, but I didn't read it that way the first time.

I just assumed that Ted was telling him that you can collect this set without using PSA. Ted was a little short with his reply, but I didn't think it was overly so. Hell, Ted's told many people on this board to "get their facts straight" before.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:24 PM
pete ullman

does this remind anyone else of welcome back kotter...the sweat hogs are getting unruly!
Old 04-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Jim VB, I see you've posted numerous times in this thread. You may have forgotten that since you started talking about my kids a SECOND unwarranted time, I told you that I was putting you on my ignore list. If you have something to say to me, PM me. Otherwise, I'm not interested in anything you have to say in public as it is all for show. You can comedian/bully your way to popularity if you want, but I won't give you any more of my time than I feel you deserve.
I would never have talked about your kid/kids if you hadn't dangled them on the BST. Other than that, I know nothing more than you've posted here. So, once again, you bring up a subject, then object when others talk about.

I wouldn't have talked about your ebay sales if you didn't out yourself as the seller.

I wouldn't have talked about the Plank if you hadn't told us you were the buyer/consignor.

I wouldn't have known you once owned BL460's if you hadn't said so.

And I would not have discussed the problems with the PSA Registry for T206 if you hadn't brought them up.

I certainly have no desire to communicate with you through PM's or Emails. But if I'm on ignore, how do you know I'm posting here?
Old 04-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I'd still like to know about the consignment deal JP has with REA.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
I'd still like to know about the consignment deal JP has with REA.

Yep. That one slipped my mind. Another subject he broached then tried to shut down.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:48 PM
David McDonald

Default Oh, the Humanity!

Closed Thread