NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-05-2013, 09:07 PM

Default DiMaggio brothers true or fake

PSA quick opinion could not tell so I am going up a big step to you guys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (55.9 KB, 277 views)
Old 01-06-2013, 09:18 AM

Thumbs down

Long time reader/first time poster. Speaking as a collector who obtained multiple in-person signatures of Joe D. in his later years I can opine with confidence that the signature over his image is not his own. I've seen only a few Vince sigs, on baseballs primarily, and the "neatness" of this one troubles me.....of course having a fake example of his more famous brother on the same item only serves to heighten my doubts.

Charley

Last edited by MaysFan; 01-06-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:55 PM

Default JimStinson

Didn't all three of them do a Baseball Card show together once ?
Old 01-07-2013, 06:12 PM

Default JimStinson

Maybe more than once...

1986 – DiMaggio brothers make final appearance together in Fenway Park in May

1986 – Brother Vince DiMaggio dies in October

Old 01-08-2013, 07:27 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Jim,
I don't think they ever did a show together.
Vince died Friday Oct 3, 1986. On Sat Oct 4th and Sun 5th, I was set up at a show in Connecticut (Newtown I think) where Joe, Dom, and Vince were set to appear. The promoter was Chris (I can't remember his last name, but he always wore a cowboy hat). He had it billed as the first time the three of them were at a show together.
Obviously, when news of his passing arrived the night before the promoter was panicked. Joe and Dom had already arrived, but a lot of discussions were had about what they were going to do. In the end, the story Chris told me, was that it was Dom who convinced Joe to stay and complete the show, I was told that Dom understood the financial commitment the promoter had made and Vince would've wanted them to stay and not leave the guy hanging.
It was a very emotional show for them both. They were often seen with tears in their eyes.
Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 01-08-2013, 08:07 AM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
Jim,
I don't think they ever did a show together.
Vince died Friday Oct 3, 1986. On Sat Oct 4th and Sun 5th, I was set up at a show in Connecticut (Newtown I think) where Joe, Dom, and Vince were set to appear. The promoter was Chris (I can't remember his last name, but he always wore a cowboy hat). He had it billed as the first time the three of them were at a show together.
Obviously, when news of his passing arrived the night before the promoter was panicked. Joe and Dom had already arrived, but a lot of discussions were had about what they were going to do. In the end, the story Chris told me, was that it was Dom who convinced Joe to stay and complete the show, I was told that Dom understood the financial commitment the promoter had made and Vince would've wanted them to stay and not leave the guy hanging.
It was a very emotional show for them both. They were often seen with tears in their eyes.
Mark
Wow ! Thanks and great post. I knew I remember seeing it advertised and the pre-sales included a baseball signed by the TRIO, which were of course due to be signed at the show. I've often wondered why I've never seen any of these show signed baseballs (that I can remember) re surface and now your post would explain it.

On a different note I remember being set up at a show in California where Sandy Koufax was one of the signing guests , My table was next to the door where we would come and go and about 15 feet from the table where he was signing. I was headed over to the show after breakfast on the 2nd day and someone pulled me aside and said "Did you hear ?" and I said "hear what?" and he told me Don Drysdale died last night.

I figured for sure Koufax would not make the show but he did and I will never forget the look on his face when he finally came through the door and into the hall to sign , He looked FRAGILE and his face was pale like he had just seen a ghost. Like he was still in total shock. Was a sad show to be at
Old 01-08-2013, 08:14 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
Wow ! Thanks and great post. I knew I remember seeing it advertised and the pre-sales included a baseball signed by the TRIO, which were of course due to be signed at the show. I've often wondered why I've never seen any of these show signed baseballs (that I can remember) re surface and now your post would explain it.

On a different note I remember being set up at a show in California where Sandy Koufax was one of the signing guests , My table was next to the door where we would come and go and about 15 feet from the table where he was signing. I was headed over to the show after breakfast on the 2nd day and someone pulled me aside and said "Did you hear ?" and I said "hear what?" and he told me Don Drysdale died last night.

I figured for sure Koufax would not make the show but he did and I will never forget the look on his face when he finally came through the door and into the hall to sign , He looked FRAGILE and his face was pale like he had just seen a ghost. Like he was still in total shock. Was a sad show to be at
I had the pleasure to have Club level seats then and on the Dodgers next trip home they honored Don Drysdale. He was a broadcaster for the Dodgers then and his seats were right next to ours (Ross Porter was in back of us) he would come by during breaks and sit with his family Anne Meyers and 2 small kids. She was there with the kids that day with a video recorder taking in the moment while I cried like a baby. He was a GREAT GUY. Never once asked the man for his autograph, but friends did and he was more than gracious. great memories. Now, I wouldn't pay for a Dodger ticket.... you almost have to pay me to go there.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:32 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
I had the pleasure to have Club level seats then and on the Dodgers next trip home they honored Don Drysdale. He was a broadcaster for the Dodgers then and his seats were right next to ours (Ross Porter was in back of us) he would come by during breaks and sit with his family Anne Meyers and 2 small kids. She was there with the kids that day with a video recorder taking in the moment while I cried like a baby. He was a GREAT GUY. Never once asked the man for his autograph, but friends did and he was more than gracious. great memories. Now, I wouldn't pay for a Dodger ticket.... you almost have to pay me to go there.
Even with all that money they are spending Chuck?
Old 01-09-2013, 05:35 PM

Does anyone know if they ever signed together. At old timers games or any events. Sad about the show right after Vince's death. Vince is my favorite. he didn't get a lot of ink in his day, but still my favorite
Old 01-11-2013, 05:23 PM

Cool

I just saw another of these on ebay. Will post it when I get home. Not a copy of this
Old 01-11-2013, 07:40 PM

Saw this on eBay as a copy of a original photo. Owner said he got it from a private collector was all I could get from him. He answered me right back. I don't think this is authentic. DID THIS HAPPEN OR ARE BOTH FORGERIES OR AT LEAST ONE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (78.1 KB, 39 views)