NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-28-2016, 02:30 PM
Jeff

Default Tris Speaker 3,000th hit ticket

Scott, is this the ticket that you had that was the Tris Speaker 3,000th hit ticket? Thought people might want to see it. Story behind the ticket is item #2 of this thread (if this is the same ticket): "The ticket was discovered perhaps 20-25 years ago in a frame along with 2-3 Cleveland Indians World Series tickets from the 1920's by a close hobby friend in the Cleveland area that specializes in ephemera. The ticket stub did not have a printed date, but did have the date written on the back in pencil. All of the tickets in the frame had pencil date inscriptions on the back written by the same patron."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speaker3000f.jpg (77.8 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg speaker3000b.jpg (67.7 KB, 303 views)
Old 09-28-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDoggy View Post
Scott, is this the ticket that you had that was the Tris Speaker 3,000th hit ticket? Thought people might want to see it. Story behind the ticket is item #2 of this thread (if this is the same ticket): "The ticket was discovered perhaps 20-25 years ago in a frame along with 2-3 Cleveland Indians World Series tickets from the 1920's by a close hobby friend in the Cleveland area that specializes in ephemera. The ticket stub did not have a printed date, but did have the date written on the back in pencil. All of the tickets in the frame had pencil date inscriptions on the back written by the same patron."
That is one in the same. I haven't seen it since 2000 or 2001.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:42 PM
Luis

Some beautiful tickets guys! I'm just starting to look at tickets and I see proofs and passes, as well as full and stub tickets. I like the ideal of stubs because they were present in the stadium. I'm sure some events one would have to take what they can get. My question is are proofs and passes considered more desirable then full and stub tickets? Sorry for the beginner question, but thanks for any feedback.

Luis
Old 10-02-2016, 04:54 AM
R@nda!! H@hn

Hi Luis,

Collecting tickets is a great part of the memorabilia hobby. As you said, the ticket was actually at the event. Plus they are far, far more limited than baseball cards.

To answer your question about proofs and passes, to a true collector they are less valuable than a DATED stub or full ticket. There are those out there who try and get a lot for a pass because they will tell you that it was good for every home game of a certain team, or in the case of a League pass every game in that league. But it is a lazy mans way of filling a spot in his collection. True collectors will always want the dated ticket to a specific game. Proofs are the same. They were not meant for adamission to any game. And as you pointed out a ticket was at the event, and these were not and could not. As a collector I want a ticket that would get me into a specific game.

Ticket collecting is just that, collecting. Most of us pick a genre to collect. I know people who collect all of a players homeruns. Some collect all of a players hits. Others may collect all of his games played! Some people collect all of a teams games from a World Series year. Still others collect certain events like no hitters or hitting for the cycle. Then theres people who collect milestones events like the 500th Homeruns, 3000th hits, 300th wins, 3000th struikeouts. Collecting player debuts has also really taken off. All I can say is that I love the thrill of finding a ticket I need. But I will warn you, at the beginning you will start off quickly gathering tickets and it seems like you will get done pretty fast but it will slow down to a trickle and then it will stop. You have to be very patient if you expect to collect all of a certain them of tickets. I know people who have been at it for more than 25 years and still need a few tickets to complete something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgarza99 View Post
Some beautiful tickets guys! I'm just starting to look at tickets and I see proofs and passes, as well as full and stub tickets. I like the ideal of stubs because they were present in the stadium. I'm sure some events one would have to take what they can get. My question is are proofs and passes considered more desirable then full and stub tickets? Sorry for the beginner question, but thanks for any feedback.

Luis

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears

Last edited by mcgwirecom; 10-02-2016 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:42 PM
Luis

Hi Randall,

Thanks or your insight on clearing up my questions. I'll definitely stick with dated stub or full tickets. You are right. After looking at what is out there I may start with no-hitters by HOF pitchers? Or maybe 500 HR or 3000 hits tickets? Which ever way this takes me it should be a lot of fun! I'll post my first purchase hopefully soon.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:13 PM
Jeff

Default 3k tickets

Luis,

I agree with Randall, I had a several proofs that I basically gave away. I also agree with his list with the addition of streaks, such as, Rose, DiMaggio and others, like Maris 61 in 61. The most popular is World Series and then All-Stars followed by 3k hits and 500 HR. PSA shows some nice collections (http://www.psacard.com/psasetregistr...ult.aspx?c=141). I have focused on 3k hits and 3k strikeouts. The most recent 15 can easily be collected in nice full tickets for less than $50 each, with the most difficult being Palmeiro and Biggio. Be careful not to get post-dated tickets (a lot of post-date Boggs and Molitor out there). Yaz stubs are easy to find for $25 and there are at least a few full tickets.

It then gets to be a little more difficult for the next two, Brock and Rose. Depending on condition, $50 to $300 for them. I do not know of any Brock full tickets and I know of 3 full Rose (see image below). The yellow PSA-3, and blue PSA-4 have been around for years. I picked up the green one recently and was real happy to get it (I believe is the finest of the 3). Kaline is a real difficult ticket to get (no full tickets known), I believe there are less than 10 stubs, and the prices have been as low as $100 up to $1k. Then there is Clemente. I can not figure out why Clemente are going for $800 to $1500, but they are. I have cataloged 26 of them and one as a full ticket (actually a coupon, which went for: $9,810.95 Seat #27-C-4: HTTP://SPORTS.HA.COM/C/ITEM.ZX?SALENO=7037&LOTNO=80034). This is one I have held off on, believing that it would drop. The population does not justify the price.

Then you have the real tough ones. Mays, Aaron and Musial. I have cataloged 7 Mays (one, a coupon just sold on ebay for $1,253), none of which are full. 8 Aaron, with one being a full ticket (I was lucky enough to pick up a stub recently along with a Kaline stub). Musial, 5 and no full, going for around $1k+.

Then you have the unknown ones (with the exception of the undated Speaker, see post #35). I have not seen or heard of any others, which is why I started this thread in the first place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rosefull3k.jpg (65.4 KB, 196 views)
Old 08-15-2020, 11:00 AM
Jeff

Default Clemente 3k hit ticket

Finally picked up a Clemente 3k hit, still need Mays and Musial. Still have not heard of a 3k hit ticket pre-Musial other than the Speaker ticket with the date written on it (See #35 of this thread).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19720930Front.jpg (73.3 KB, 122 views)

Tags
3000th ticket, eddie collins, paul waner, roberto clemente, stan musial