NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-07-2007, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Default Tobacco Cards

Posted By: ErikV

Here's a what if scenario I'd like to get opinions on with a few questions afterwards.

What if one of today's tobacco companies (RJ Reynolds, Philip Morris, etc.) decided to produce a baseball card set. What would some of the hurdles be? I'm only guessing that they would need a license from MLB to produce such a product. The product would obviously be targeted for adults, but would there be a demand for such a product? Would it cause a backlash from anti-smoker and youth groups? Would it help with sales? Would there be a "Honus Wagner-type" boycott from MLB players? Would the vintage card collector embrace such an item?

I for one am not a smoker, but would probably find myself curious about obtaining a card to two!

Old 02-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Default Tobacco Cards

Posted By: Dylan

Its mostly agreed that Wagner had a contractual dispute, it had nothing to do with moral feelings on tobacco. He's in other tobacco issues, and is known to have used tobacco products. As for cigarette cards again, couldnt see it happening. For one thing baseball has limited the number of companies allowed to produce major sets, i dont know how that plays into promotional items but it may. I dont think tobacco and athletics mix nowadays like they used to be able to get away with!

Old 02-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Default Tobacco Cards

Posted By: DD

American Spirits cigarettes (100% organic tobacco with no additives) have inserted nature cards, numbered in a series, in their packs for years. Although obviously different from sports as far collectible impact, I have never heard or read anything detrimental about them.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Default Tobacco Cards

Posted By: peter chao

Erik,

The tobacco companies have gotten a lot of flack over trying to sell cigarettes to the youth of America. At this time it would be near impossible for them to include cards as a coupon in packs without getting more grief.

In addition to this the tobacco companies have entered into settlement agreements with both the states and individuals about limiting their advertising. Although I do not know the details of these agreements, I would imagine that they would include avoiding marketing to the youth of America.

Peter

Old 02-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Default Tobacco Cards

Posted By: Richard Dwyer

I'd rather see Cracker Jacks return to inserting cards into their bags of Cracker Jacks. That way if you don't get a premium card, you still get to eat the Cracker Jacks.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Default Tobacco Cards

Posted By: davidcycleback

MLB would never allow tobacco cards today.

In England, where the history of the tobacco industry is different, there were cigarette/tobacco cards into the 1960s and perhaps even later. The ups and downs of vintage baseball cigarette baseball cards, of course, were affected by industry takeovers/monopolies/breakups not moral or health concerns.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Default Tobacco Cards

Posted By: Max Weder

Cigarette advertising is illegal in Canada, so no tobacco cards would be permitted here.

Max

Old 02-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Default Tobacco Cards

Posted By: Dan Koteles

Marlboro lights would replace Piedmont:obviously the most smoked
VIceroy for Victory
Bonds back for CObb back
Tareyton for Turkey Reds
Old Gold for Old Mill

too new and I would never smoke: cannot see paying a multi billionaire to cut my oxygen off....nono

Old 02-08-2007, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Default Tobacco Cards

Posted By: Jason L

big on all sorts of food and novelty issues...what happened? the contractual thing?
It was fun, though, you could get cards in hostess, Kellogg, 7-Eleven, products, etc...
would be nice to see a little more of that and see what the kids' response is...

Old 02-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Default Tobacco Cards

Posted By: T E

As mentioed above, there have been a series of settlements between tobacco industry and state govts. There is a reason why you no longer see Marlboro ads on billboards at sporting events. The tobacco industry would much prefer to continue offering sham anti-tobacco programs than to risk a new confrontation with some up-and-coming State's Attourney's General. So you won't be seeing any of this any time soon...

Tom

Old 02-08-2007, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Default Tobacco Cards

Posted By: davidcycleback

Sports stars were used for cigarette advertising at least into the 1950s. You see ad signs featuring DiMaggio, Ted Wiliams, Willie Mays, Stan Musial and more. I know football player Earl Campbell was used in Skoal ads in the 1970s. As a kid I wrote for Campbell's autograph and he mailed me a signed Skoal photo! Duly note that it didn't induce me to chew.

So, tobacco had no problem using sports stars and many sports stars had no problems with tobacco-- it's just that tobacco didn't use baseball cards for advertising. The notable exception being the 1950s Red Man cards.

As the US tobacco companies are not supposed to advertise/promote to kids, my guess is that it would be interpreted as illegal under existing law to sell baseball cards in cigarette packs. Baseball cards probably isn't explicitly mentioned in the law(s), but cards in packs would be compared to bundling cigarette packs with Elmo or Barney dolls. Cigarette companies do have all sorts of shiny promos and premiums-- jackets, hats, coolers, etc--, but baseball cards likely would be classified as a kid's toy (That adults collect kid's toys is more of a reflection of the adult than the cards).

Old 02-08-2007, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Default Tobacco Cards

Posted By: Dave G

The only US Tobacco company still issuing insert cards is DORAL and their topics are on a Patriotic theme - Celebrate America. To this end all the cards have address typically american things, Automobiles, National Parks, Flowers, fashions etc. I doubt if you will ever see a baseball card issued in conjunction with tobacco, predominantly due to the Advertising restrictons, and secondly to the Licensing fees.

The only other American tobacco co that was issuing cards was American Spirit. they were taken over by R.J. Reynolds or what ever they call themselves now - and card issuing stopped.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Default Tobacco Cards

Posted By: George Dreher

The government will outlaw fun and fast-food next.
Safety checkpoint/roadblocks every day of the week to make sure we're buckled in also. Makes me feel more patriotic and a lot safer.