NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Brock

Default OT:Osama Is Dead

Great day for Americans, Obama will soon be having a live statement about him being dead, according to CNN.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:01 PM
David McDonald

My condolences to the family.
Burn in Hell OBL.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Steven Finley

Sitting here it feels like one of those "Where were you" moments. Very strange, as I never expected it to actually happen.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Rob Miller

I am overcome with joy....incredible feeling.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:11 PM
T0NY @

http://planetsmilies.net/flag-smiley-7376.gif
Old 05-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Steven Finley

Anyone watching Sunday Night Baseball? The Philly crowd went nuts.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:25 PM

From my mission (2002) in Texas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bin laden.jpg (76.2 KB, 673 views)
Old 05-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Barry

Could not of happened to a more deserving person!
Old 05-01-2011, 09:38 PM

Well, I guess he's hoping for an endless glass of icewater for where he's going.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Don

God bless America.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Jason Wells

Wow talk about a surreal moment.Thank God he wont be around for the 10 year anniversary.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:00 PM

I hope he did not get to go out on his terms the way Hitler did and that someone was able to take him out in person so for at least a moment he felt a fraction of the pain he caused thousands of others. I also hope that we learn more about the operation and how it all went down.

Despite all the other crap that is going on, America is still the greatest Country in the World!
Old 05-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Lance

No question it's great news. Parade his corpse through NYC I say.
But our "friends" Pakistan had likely been harboring the bearded clown forever and a day
Old 05-02-2011, 04:14 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

There is no single place on the face of this earth that I'd rather be than anywhere in the United States of America. Period.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
God bless America.
Ditto.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:19 AM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
Well, I guess he's hoping for an endless glass of icewater for where he's going.
+1

Larry
Old 05-02-2011, 07:29 AM
Eric

There will be many items from the Osama bin Laden bunker autographed by the troops who killed him and Osama himself, in the upcoming Coaches Corner auction.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:37 AM
John Hanssen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm1 View Post
there will be many items from the osama bin laden bunker autographed by the troops who killed him and osama himself, in the upcoming coaches corner auction.

------------To funny------------------

Last edited by nebboy; 05-02-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:26 AM
Bilko Glasier

This is absolutely amazing and very great news to hear!!!!

Obama is the hero for killing him!!!

Last edited by Bilko G; 05-02-2011 at 02:29 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:48 AM
Jason

Default not to mess up anyone's cheerios,...

and don't get me wrong as I am happy for the news, as I was there and running for my life 10 years ago, but am I the only one who kinda shudders at the sight of the crowd outside the White House with their fists in the air and celebrating the news? It just kinda looked like that could have been a crowd in any country,...even those anti-American ones we always see plastered all over the news channels...just thought it was a little eerie, seeing that in the US.....

but it IS nice to have something to celebrate!
Old 05-02-2011, 09:29 AM
David Str@@te

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL View Post
and don't get me wrong as I am happy for the news, as I was there and running for my life 10 years ago, but am I the only one who kinda shudders at the sight of the crowd outside the White House with their fists in the air and celebrating the news? It just kinda looked like that could have been a crowd in any country,...even those anti-American ones we always see plastered all over the news channels...just thought it was a little eerie, seeing that in the US.....

but it IS nice to have something to celebrate!
Agreed entirely. When people took to the streets dancing after 9/11 I thought it was classless and idiotic. For me, the masses at the White House last night had a similar feel.

Don't get me wrong. Bin Laden being dead is a good thing. Certainly justice was served, but I think quiet reverence for his victims would have been a better course.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:35 AM
Rob Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstraate View Post
Agreed entirely. When people took to the streets dancing after 9/11 I thought it was classless and idiotic. For me, the masses at the White House last night had a similar feel.

Don't get me wrong. Bin Laden being dead is a good thing. Certainly justice was served, but I think quiet reverence for his victims would have been a better course.
The difference is, the 3,000 or so people that were killed weren't the #1 terrorist in the world. This should be rightfully celebrated, especially by those that were deeply touched by 9/11.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:22 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstraate View Post

I have no issue with celebrating the death of a mass murderer. I have more of an issue with this serious thread devolving into sophomoric humor, as it appears to have done.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:34 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

It's a great unifying day for the Country. Hopefully people can put aside differences and share a common relief and sense of pride, even if only breifly.

I'm glad he got to feel the fear during, what I believe was reported to be roughly a 40 minute raid, before he met his end. We got to look him in the eye before he died and personally deiliver a shot instead of with a drone or airstrike. If it's true that he did use a woman as a human shield, what a cowardly way to go out. A fitting end indeed....

I hope this is the event that begins getting some of our troops home.

Last edited by yanksfan09; 05-02-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Ke.n K0hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I have no issue with celebrating the death of a mass murderer. I have more of an issue with this serious thread devolving into sophomoric humor, as it appears to have done.
Where would Net54 would be without sophomoric humor? It'd be like rock n' roll without feedback.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:52 AM
Barry Sloate

From what I've heard he was fully aware that he was about to be killed. He was using a human shield to protect himself so it sounds like the soldiers and he were face to face. Good riddance!
Old 05-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Mark T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko G View Post
This is absolutely amazing and very great news to hear!!!!

Obama is the hero for killing him!!!

Ummmm, Obama did not kill anyone, the Commandos did and deserve 100% of the credit...
Old 05-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Banned

I hope they kept digital photos of the body before getting rid of it. You know, just to have a record of it.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Charles
Charlie Ma.nn

One major question remains and may never be answered now. Did Bin Laden ever receive his REA catalog???
Old 05-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubs1969 View Post
One major question remains and may never be answered now. Did Bin Laden ever receive his REA catalog???
Awesome...
Old 05-02-2011, 11:18 AM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubs1969 View Post
Good one.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:16 AM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
I hope they kept digital photos of the body before getting rid of it. You know, just to have a record of it.
This is one of the most bizarre things about this,,,,I would think one of the first things they would do is release photo's of the dead bin Laden. But they didn't, and when the homeland security guy was fielding questions in the news/press conference, and was asked about providing photo's,,the guy (forgot his name, Bennen?) turned sort of red in the face and stammered out a bunch of nonsense.

When we killed Sadaam's son Uday, they provided photo's of his dead body so everyone could see it was him and it was true. Same with when they captured Sadaam. They even used to do it with the old gangsters who were wanted dead or alive.

But here, they quickly dump his body in the ocean and don't release pictures? Am I the only one who finds this as odd?
Old 05-03-2011, 04:16 AM
Bilko Glasier

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post

But here, they quickly dump his body in the ocean and don't release pictures? Am I the only one who finds this as odd?

No you are not. Thats some pretty messed up sh1t!!

I still really believe we will see photos and or video, of Bin Laden's dead body, in the coming days/weeks though.

Last edited by Bilko G; 05-03-2011 at 04:18 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
This is one of the most bizarre things about this,,,,I would think one of the first things they would do is release photo's of the dead bin Laden. But they didn't, and when the homeland security guy was fielding questions in the news/press conference, and was asked about providing photo's,,the guy (forgot his name, Bennen?) turned sort of red in the face and stammered out a bunch of nonsense.

When we killed Sadaam's son Uday, they provided photo's of his dead body so everyone could see it was him and it was true. Same with when they captured Sadaam. They even used to do it with the old gangsters who were wanted dead or alive.

Whether you're talking T206 baseball cards or dead terrorists, it's just common sense to keep a photographic record to provide as proof down the line if requested (especially when you're making a claim that you can safely assume will be challenged). I bet in the case of this dead terrorist, the United States did just that.

Last edited by Rob D.; 05-03-2011 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:19 AM
Rich v@n He$$

Quote:

I think it's very, very odd. I think they're weighing the pros and cons with the cons being that its likely inflamatory and martyrizing. It sure leave a lot open to conspiracies though. My biggest reason for belief is in the comments coming from Al-Q people and Al Jazeera.

And +1 (2) for Mr. Novaks comment above. Ive seen a lot of people comment on who gets "credit" all over the place (moreso than politicians, so that should say something!). It seems nonsensical to me. Obviously, the soldiers on the scene and supporting staffs deserve the lions share of credit. They risked their lives, they performed the task at hand. Obama deserves some share of credit for making it the CIAs top priority and for having it happen on his watch. Bush deserves credit too for laying the foundation that was continued and led to certain information that was critical in the process. There's just no way something like this gets done without a huge amount of people contributing their parts to the effort. Its silly to think otherwise.

Last edited by Section103; 05-03-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
Ummmm, Obama did not kill anyone, the Commandos did and deserve 100% of the credit...
I agree. Obama did send the raid, but the Seals inside did all of the dirty work and put their lives on the line to kill Osama. About the burial, I think that it was to keep the Muslim people from getting upset. I agree with Curt on this one. We should not have treated this man like a true Muslim, when his actions showed otherwise. Home of the Brave and Land of the Free, God Bless America