NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-01-2021, 07:02 PM

I'm going to agree with some of the cards already mentioned with a few additions:

1. 1939 Play Ball Ted Williams - I think this card has been somewhat overlooked the past few years but might get it's rightful due with all the new eyes on all things vintage. As the greatest hitter the game ever saw, I'm kind of surprised this still can be had for what I think are very affordable prices.

2. 1949 Bowman Jackie Robinson - With the 1948/49 Leaf already in the stratosphere, I think this card will be the consolation prize to many who want the earliest Jackie card as possible that's not completely out of reach.

3. 1952 Topps Willie Mays - While the '51 Bowman is deservedly getting the accolades it deserves now, I believe the "52 Topps is more recognizable, especially after being one of the featured cards in the Topps 2020 set where multiple artists did their own take on it.

4. 1953 Topps Satchel Paige - As already mentioned by others, this looks like it's beginning its ascent. Just a beautiful card all-around of a player with few major league card releases.

5. 1958 Topps Roger Maris - As the "true" single season HR leader without the black cloud of performance enhancing drugs, (the same way that many still think Aaron as the "true" career HR leader) I think this card is criminally undervalued.
Old 02-07-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illustrious View Post

3. 1952 Topps Willie Mays - While the '51 Bowman is deservedly getting the accolades it deserves now, I believe the "52 Topps is more recognizable, especially after being one of the featured cards in the Topps 2020 set where multiple artists did their own take on it.
Completely agree here, while the 51B is his true rookie its no different than the 51/52T Mantle comparison. The 52T is the better looking card, arguably more iconic and is way undervalued compared to the Mantle. It will close the gap to the Mantle over time.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:28 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by investinrookies View Post
It will close the gap to the Mantle over time.
I would respectfully disagree that the '52 Topps Mays will ever close the gap to the Mantle. Even disregarding the high number / low number comparison - it's had 40+ years to do that in the retail hobby, and it's never happened or even come close. That's not to say that Willie won't also reach absurd prices, but if he does my bet is that the Mantle continues to soar even higher.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-08-2021 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:31 PM
Howard Chasser

Default I respectfully agree/disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I would respectfully disagree that the '52 Topps Mays will ever close the gap to the Mantle. Even disregarding the high number / low number comparison - it's had 40+ years to do that in the retail hobby, and it's never happened or even come close. That's not to say that Willie won't also reach absurd prices, but if he does my bet is that the Mantle continues to soar even higher.
Mantle will always be the king of the 52 set. Right behind him is Mays and Robinson (look what happened with this card this year!). With Mantle selling where he has and Robinson taking off where he has, it stands to reason that Mays has some catching up to do.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:35 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
Mantle will always be the king of the 52 set. Right behind him is Mays and Robinson (look what happened with this card this year!). With Mantle selling where he has and Robinson taking off where he has, it stands to reason that Mays has some catching up to do.
Very true if that Mays goes on a run like Robinson did, it could stand to appreciate significantly.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-08-2021 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:11 AM
Shaun Fyffe

Given the meteoric rise of the '48 Leaf, I suspect this card will continue to soar:

I think the rest of the Bond Bread set has room to grow as well.

I'm surprised this card hasn't followed suit, but I suspect that is because it continues to be labeled a 1948 card despite being distributed in late 1947:

Jackie aside, I think Mays, Aaron, and Paige will continue to see strong growth. Perhaps Ted Williams as well.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 02-09-2021, 08:47 AM

I agree on the Jackie Bond Bread Portrait. There's no reason for it not to be the most significant Robinson card. It was issued first and widely released and in today's world I find it especially significant as it was marketed to African American communities first.

Happy to add my own low-grade example to my collection. Don't think it'll be affordable much longer:

Last edited by packs; 02-09-2021 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:26 AM
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyBrown View Post
Given the meteoric rise of the '48 Leaf, I suspect this card will continue to soar:

I think the rest of the Bond Bread set has room to grow as well.

I'm surprised this card hasn't followed suit, but I suspect that is because it continues to be labeled a 1948 card despite being distributed in late 1947:

Jackie aside, I think Mays, Aaron, and Paige will continue to see strong growth. Perhaps Ted Williams as well.
I'm a big fan of the Old Gold's. The write ups on the back are great.

"And the first time he ever picked up a golf club, he went around in 99. It should come as no surprise that as a kid, he was even a world-beater at marbles."

Jackie Old Gold catching_front.jpg

Jackie Old Gold catching_back.jpg

Jackie Old Gold front3.jpg

Jackie Old Gold back3.jpg
Old 02-11-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
this is all I was trying to say.
Old 02-11-2021, 07:13 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by investinrookies View Post
this is all I was trying to say.
While I also believe this to be true . Mantle , Mathews , Robinson are all in the 6 series . Mays is not
Old 02-11-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
While I also believe this to be true . Mantle , Mathews , Robinson are all in the 6 series . Mays is not

True however the difference in overall pops is minimal compared to the appeal and status of the mays card in the hobby. It’s been over looked for way to long especially compared to mantle. No reason at all that its not closer in value to the mantle. Mays was a top 5 player and people were sleeping on the obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2021, 08:13 PM
J@RR0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
I think the 52 Campy has some room to grow. Hi number, HOFer that played in the Negro Leagues, and a beloved Dodger.