NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-18-2021, 08:14 PM

Last edited by Gr8Beldini; 11-18-2021 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-19-2021, 01:07 PM
Eric Perry

I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for their suggestions/comments. My schedule that weekend has filled up a bit, so I may only be able to stop by the show for an hour or two. At least I can plan ahead and go on a "targeted" mission.

Of course, there's always the BST if I don't make the show. Some of you sell cards there every now and then.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 11-20-2021, 11:18 AM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by commishbob View Post

I chose a favorite image from each decade. Nearly all the '57 Dodgers cards taken at Ebbets Field are pretty special. I love the Neal card with the scoreboard and wall signage behind him.

I remember the '61 Covington from when I was a beginning collector. The unique pose and wonderful Braves uni stood out. The Aaron is terrific as well but there's something about Covington at the bat rack ith fans behind him in the stands that just makes this card extra special in my eyes.
In general, the more lumber on the card, the better the card.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 11-20-2021, 12:55 PM
Curt

If you are not fortunate enough to have all of the actual cards at your disposal, you can search for them and likely find someone has posted an image online. however, if you are not aware of a certain card, you'd have to stumble upon it accidentally to even know.

This book is amazing. I got it for Christmas in 1985 and still say to this day, it was the best gift I have ever received.

https://www.abebooks.com/Topps-Baseb...xoCbAUQAvD_BwE

Once you have all the images in one place, it comes down to beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I am one of those that likes action shots of the 70s (71 Munson & Ryan, 76 Bench, 78 Jackson already shown - ALL EPIC cards). not everyone agrees though. The 60s to me are some of the most boring looking cards, simply because most are head and posed shots.

56 Topps is my favorite vintage card design and just about any of the cards look great, but clearly it comes down to the star power for most to make a card appealing and memorable (Mantle, Mays, Robinson, Aaron, Williams, etc). They all have the same head shot and a small painted action shot, so what makes one better than the rest?

I also like cards like and similar to the 61 Covington, not an action shot, but an interesting non-head shot or boring pose. I think Elmer Valo has a similar shot in the 57 set and Jose Laboy has a cool one in the 70 Topps set too. These cards stand out because they are not like most of the others. Unfortunately they are not HOF players, so those cards get lost in people's memories. I can rattle off a bunch of great 70s action shots that are on common cards, which makes them less appealing to most.

One of my favorites combines one of my favorite sets (1978, my first year collecting), an action shot, a Topps all-rookie team trophy and a star cameo. it is the Doug Ault card. Sadly, Doug didn't have the career that his fellow ART member Eddie Murray had. To me, this is what card collecting is all about. He is not the best card in the set, but certainly one of the most, if not the most interesting and visually appealing cards of the set. I could only imagine that same card with Murray at the plate would probably be discussed as one of the greatest card images of all time.

A few other real cool action shots that strand out to me are included as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l400.jpg (31.1 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg s-l300.jpg (22.6 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg 511hntUm0lL._SY780_.jpg (45.1 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (24.6 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg 71gRWcZYHIL._AC_SY606_.jpg (48.4 KB, 103 views)
Old 11-21-2021, 08:15 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

My favorites, aesthetically speaking, for each decade:

1950s:

Perfect combo of elements: classic portrait, full action swing, fun team logo.

1960s:

Gotta go with this one too. Another perfect image of Koufax doing what he did best.

1970s:

Now, this is my childhood collecting decade, so picking the most attractive card of the era is not an easy call for me but this one has always caught my eye:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-22-2021, 10:00 AM
Marcos

Default ‘61 Covington

I agree with several other posters in this thread — that the 1961 Wes Covington (#296) card presents an outstanding image.

Look at all that creamy white lumber in the rack - maybe belonging to Aaron, Matthews, or Adcock. Look at that huge black forearm and bicep as Wes pulls a couple war clubs out before proceeding to the on-deck circle. He knows the camera is on him - so he gives a little smile. Thanks Wes.

Lastly, that kid in the stands wearing the red shirt looks to be about my age in 1961. When examining the card as a child, I used to envy him and his view of the game - and maybe a leaning peak into the dugout!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59A2CD9C-5ACB-474B-9AA9-69A47473D253.jpg (15.0 KB, 75 views)
Old 11-22-2021, 11:10 AM
ja.mes na.higian

Default The most beautiful card ever produced

horseman.jpg
Old 11-22-2021, 01:50 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyinthehall View Post
Not that there's much value here...you could probably get all of these for $5 or less. I always loved the "living the dream" joy on the faces of Rice and Simmons faces in the 1978 set; the gritty determination of Pocoroba; and the almost perfect composition of the '78 Jackson (possibly one of the best looking cards ever). I zeroed in on 1978 because it's my favorite/first set.

I loved the '78's when I was a kid. Loved opening those packs. Liked them a little bit more then the '77's (which I also liked a lot), and a ton more then the '76's.

Great, clean design. I also remember the '79's coming out and thinking Topps really sh*t the bed on that one, outside of the "All-Time Record Holders" cards. I mean how else was I supposed to get a Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb or Cy Young card without spending more then 2 bucks on it (which I didn't have at the time).

Pretty sure, the Reggie card and this one were the ones I was hoping to pull every time I opened a pack up during the '78 season.

Old 11-22-2021, 01:52 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by commishbob View Post

My Orioles bias may be in play with the third card but I have always felt it's the coolest card of the 70s and it's really my favorite for several reasons, the pose, his expression, the rookie award bowl, Just a very attractive card.

I love that Eddie Murray looks like a 15 year veteran, on his Rookie card.