NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-23-2003, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Default Don't blame the dealer for the markup

Posted By: Hankron 

About 2 weeks ago I put up a collection of 15 original 1950s Photographs for Chicago Bears players including one of HOFer George Connnor. The minimum bid of $75(at $5 a photo, I thought that was a reasonable price, and I don't use reserves). The auction ended with no bids. About two days later, I put the Connor by itself (1 photo) back up, with a minimum bid of $9.99. Sold for $82.

But, my all time favorite is: I had a 13 card stip of the little circa 1950 R423 cards that included a Babe Ruth and a Joe DiMaggio. I offered it for sale via email for about $75 with no buyers. I put it up on eBay twice with a minimum bid of $60 with no bidders. Finally, I took apart the cards (perforated edges) and offered the singles on eBay. The Ruth sold for $95, the DiMaggio for $145, and the other 11 singles sold for a a total of $75.

Not that I'm complaining.

Old 01-23-2003, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom

has happened to me and, just like you, mostly in the positive........goes to show you that timing is definitely everything. Many people, unlike most of us, don't peruse a certain category EVERY day or multiple times a day looking for items. Some people do it weekly or every other week or whatever. If you're lucky enough to list the item whenever the fish are biting, then you're in the money so to speak.....

Kind of like the big Hualalai7 (couple years back) and rockets_lover (recently) buying sprees. Timing is everything.........

Old 01-23-2003, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: rod

A few years ago I tried to sell some vintage photos on ebay ,that were framed, for like $25 minimum ... no bids. A friend advised me that people don't like to bid on framed items because they think they are paying extra. O.K., so I took the photos out of the frames put them back up and got two to three times the minimum.I still don't get it.

Old 01-23-2003, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

20th century photographs (where I specialize) is a particularly volatile area price-wise. This is in part because there is no price guide, and, unlike trading cards, there aren't 2,000 identical photographs with which to compare prices. Personally, I like dealing in this untamed enviroment. To me, the trading card hobby is like a Catholic boarding school.

Old 01-24-2003, 05:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

That is exactly why I like the stuff we/I collect. I would venture to guess there aren't 50 of most of the cards I have.....let alone 2000.....as a matter of fact, to me, what makes a card even more neat than the player or the design is the scarcity.....best regards

Old 01-24-2003, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

Hualalai7 or whatever the heck was his handle? He beat me like a drum on caramel cards at the wire then disappeared from sight.

Old 01-24-2003, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

as in the rest of life (If I'd timed Cisco and Enron right, I'd be done w/my T206 collection already).

I've had similar experiences, with cards going unsold one week and skying the next. There's no rhyme or reason to it, it just happens.

Old 01-24-2003, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RC_McKenzie

Hualalai7 is still around. He won an Old Judge Silch that I had a bookmark bid in a few weeks back.

There have to be 2 serious bidders that want the item. If you're selling a Ty Cobb or PSA 8, it's all good, otherwise you need some luck. I underbid a r423 uncut strip the other day at $31. I would probably have had to pay at least $100 to win it.