NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-01-2020, 09:58 AM
Michael calv.ello

Default 1953 Topps Baseball Card Poster by Gerry Dvorak

]Happy holidays net54 baseball community

i need help to see if any community members have ever seen this 1953 original art poster by gerry dvorak. I have researched the net including worthpoint. No record of this poster . POSTER SIZE: 22" x 28"

I have also conducted a black light test on the poster. The same method used by henry yee. Article about black light testing done by paul messier. This black light test will show the age of the print. The lighter the purple glo means print was manufactured before 1970. The bright glow after 1980 to the present. This poster has a very light glow.

My questions to the community, first; has anyone seen another?

Second; could this have bee an advertisement for the 1953 topps or 1953 archives cards?

I know that mr. Dvorak passed in 1999. Could this have been a pre production print never released??

Poster signed by gerry dvorak, ed mathews, clem labine, bobby morgan and al schoendienst.

Took this poster to jsa on monday 11/30. All signatures passed.

Any information , thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2873.jpg (12.4 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (16.7 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by EVAJOY91; 12-01-2020 at 01:49 PM. Reason: ADDITIONAL PHOTOS
Old 12-01-2020, 10:45 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Need a bigger/better photo, but definitely looks like a post-production piece (made well after the 1953 time frame).
Old 12-01-2020, 10:50 AM

Have never seen that poster before. But it appears to show pictures of 1953 Topps cards, not pictures of the original artwork. I remember when Marriott bought the actual paintings for the Mantle and Mays in the Topps auction. They then issued prints of the paintings in limited number.

From my recollection, there was never any evidence that Dvorak actually painted the Mantle and Mays, other than his "say-so." Topps did not have any records from that period that would help settle the issue.

Dvorak, at the time, repainted the Mantle portrait. I remember showing it to a friend who is a well-respected artist. His conclusion was that if Dvorak had painted the original, his skills as an artist had declined over the years as represented by his re-draw of the portrait. From an artist's view, the newer painting lacked the subtlety, shadings, details and other finer points (beyond my non-artistic senses) that were part of the original drawing. His conclusion (only) was that Dvorak was not the original artist. Albeit, still an artist of some skill, and certainly a better painting than I could have accomplished lol. And as a caveat, may have been painted quicker to take advantage of the marketing push of the Marriott prints. (although the other side of that equation is that the artists who painted the original 1953 portraits were probably under extreme deadlines as well.)

It's interesting that of the portraits he claims to have painted (per the poster), the Mantle and Mays are not among them. But, it's one of those things we'll never know for sure. I'm attaching a picture of both the original portrait (on the left) and the later rendition (on the right).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mantle marriott (2).jpg (61.7 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg mantle dvorak (2)r.jpg (19.3 KB, 150 views)

Last edited by ocjack; 12-01-2020 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:14 PM
Michael calv.ello

THANK YOU FOR GETTING BACK TO ME. I WILL TRY TO INCLUDE ADDITIONAL PHOTOS, WHEN I LEARN HOW...lol MY QUESTION IS WHY NO OTHER COPY CAN BE FOUND. HE DID SIGN THIS PRINT AND IT DID PASS JSA ON MONDAY 11/30..
Old 12-01-2020, 01:20 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Your black light information is incorrect.

Dvorak did later prints and artworks, so I assume it's from after 1953.

I've never see that before, so maybe it is a rare piece.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:34 PM
Michael calv.ello

Default 1953 Topps Gerry Dvorak

Thank you for your information on Black light. I do understand how to tell age of photos and prints. The black light on this print is very light. So through my understanding, it does eliminates a 1990 print. Yes you are correct about Gerry Dvorak designing prints in his later years.

I also agree with you that I haven’t found another example. The only clue we may have is him signing this poster to Stuart as well as the players. I guess I need to further my research on who Stuart it.

Thank you for your information. I do appreciate all the expertise on Net54Baseball. You all are the BEST there is in the hobby.