NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-21-2020, 11:51 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
Well if you’re gonna complete an AFL set, all roads run through Dallas. And I had to fill the void left from that homemade disaster. (Finally got refund.) Next up: Titans. With school moved back to online and winter break in two weeks, and also being semi-quarantined, will soon be resuming my photo inventory ...
You definitely found the best one possible. I've been after that pennant for about a decade, with no luck whatsoever.

Congrats on snagging a rare beauty!
Old 11-22-2020, 09:21 AM
Marc

Here's a few pennant related pictures I've found/saved recently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bay area pennants pic.jpg (68.5 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg Colts 1963 mail catalog.jpg (63.6 KB, 280 views)
Old 11-22-2020, 09:26 AM
Rob

Young bocca?

Odd that a Bay Area fan would also have a pennant of the arch rival Chiefs.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:34 AM

...well, at least the Raiders are on top!
Old 11-22-2020, 10:51 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
...well, at least the Raiders are on top!
You reproduced that one, right?
Old 11-22-2020, 04:34 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
You definitely found the best one possible. I've been after that pennant for about a decade, with no luck whatsoever.

Congrats on snagging a rare beauty!
Thanks Mark! Gotta start putting some football on the walls ....
Old 11-22-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
Nice, Greg.

That dark blue felt on the Oilers pennant is so clear when you have the light and the dark next to each other. I need to find one of those.
The Bills and Oilers were sold together, I got the first one but our buddy in San Antonio grabbed the other one, so I let him turn a profit on me so that I could have the pair. The colors are really vivid. Almost unnaturally so (but they are legit). I don’t know much about the Raiders pennant, it’s an odd graphic, but I see the other one more often.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Here's a few pennant related pictures I've found/saved recently.
Quick, someone tell that young lady that she has over a grand hanging on her bedroom wall ...

Last edited by thetahat; 11-22-2020 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:15 AM
Marc

Ha! That kid is not me (I think it is a girl... maybe). Kind of nice that the picture has a date on it. I was -2.5 in Dec 1970. You'd think that there would be a 49ers pennant on the wall, not a Chiefs pennant. The Raiders pennant was the best long-term investment. Funny how, out of a group of pennants from the same era and general location, one can be so much more valuable than the others.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:32 AM
Rob

Great bunch of AFL pennants Greg. The Raiders in your pic is definitely a rare and desirable one. But, I've never seen one up close and I've never been able to figure out what the graphic is supposed to be. Is it a QB throwing while being chased by a defender? A receiver catching?

As for the polaroid pic...Interesting to me the Raiders is included with a group of later pennants. That Raiders is nearly always attributed to the early 60s...but It seems odd to me a young girl would have a 10 year old pennant on the wall. I suspect they made that pennant throughout the 60s. I have one that is soft felt, but I also owned one years ago that was the stiffer late 60s/early 70s material. The stiffer one had the brittle, stiff tassels that fall apart too.

The Raiders have always been a weak spot in my collection. Their pennants are typically very expensive but they're so rare and Raider fans are so rabid, they have no problem paying when they do turn up. But over the last couple of months, I've made some nice new additions. I'll try to get a picture up later today.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:53 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Great bunch of AFL pennants Greg. The Raiders in your pic is definitely a rare and desirable one. But, I've never seen one up close and I've never been able to figure out what the graphic is supposed to be. Is it a QB throwing while being chased by a defender? A receiver catching?

As for the polaroid pic...Interesting to me the Raiders is included with a group of later pennants. That Raiders is nearly always attributed to the early 60s...but It seems odd to me a young girl would have a 10 year old pennant on the wall. I suspect they made that pennant throughout the 60s. I have one that is soft felt, but I also owned one years ago that was the stiffer late 60s/early 70s material. The stiffer one had the brittle, stiff tassels that fall apart too.

The Raiders have always been a weak spot in my collection. Their pennants are typically very expensive but they're so rare and Raider fans are so rabid, they have no problem paying when they do turn up. But over the last couple of months, I've made some nice new additions. I'll try to get a picture up later today.
The orange Giants Pennant is also early 1960s. So those pennants in the Polaroid span almost a decade. Great shot... and I love seeing the Technigraph Helmet Plaques on the wall as well. Those are all circa mid-1960s.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:57 PM
Jim Murphy

Tried to post this a few days ago and the pictures didn’t take so trying again
Picked up in the Philly area last week
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB1276A7-353C-454A-BB5E-C159CB64A2CA.jpg (20.9 KB, 285 views)
Old 11-24-2020, 05:01 PM
Jim Murphy

more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1690.jpg (67.8 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1691.jpg (63.6 KB, 284 views)
Old 11-24-2020, 08:39 PM
Marc

That's a nice group of pennants, Jim. Find more Giants.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:25 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I love the look on the Cardinal’s face. He appears distrustful and bitterly scorned.

Just another great “stadium” version from the master artists at Trench!

Last edited by perezfan; 11-24-2020 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:56 AM

Great pennants! The 1964 picture pennant is sought after in by area, hard to find in nice condition like yours.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:25 AM
Rob

Wow! The condition of those is awesome!

Happy Thanksgiving, youse guys!
Old 11-25-2020, 08:15 AM
Jim Murphy

Quote:
Great pennants! The 1964 picture pennant is sought after in by area, hard to find in nice condition like yours.
It is better than the one I have. Still looking for a 61 to complete the decade.

I am guessing you r in Philly
Old 11-26-2020, 10:09 AM

FYI, I posted some new content on each of the below sites, including an interview of a former ASCO employee intimately involved in the company's efforts to launch a felt novelty line in the 1960s. If you enjoyed last month's interview with Tom Storm, you'll like this.

www.pennantfever.weebly.com

www.pennantfactory.weebly.com

Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:16 AM
Rob

Quote:
FYI, I posted some new content on each of the below sites, including an interview of a former ASCO employee intimately involved in the company's efforts to launch a felt novelty line in the 1960s. If you enjoyed last month's interview with Tom Storm, you'll like this.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Your re-creations are looking awesome. Get going on the 1958 Opening Day!
Old 11-26-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:

Happy Thanksgiving.
YES! Love the ‘69 ASCO pennants. Thanks for more great reading. And it has me thinking, Kyle ... time to self-publish a book with all this great stuff? I can see it with input chapters from the board members. Something much richer than a B/W price guide. Could be great for the hobby and I’d help however I could!
Old 11-26-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
It is better than the one I have. Still looking for a 61 to complete the decade.

I am guessing you r in Philly
I live in South Jersey but teach/coach at a college in the city, collect all teams but especially Phillies/A’s. I completed my Phillies 1960s picture pennant set a few months ago, I needed the 1968, although just a week ago I picked up my second 1961 which is an alternate version I didn’t know existed. Interestingly I have two 1960s that have same pennant graphics but different team photos ... and now two 1961s (pictures below) with the same photo but different pennant. Yet they are all made by Trench. The 1960s and one 1961 have a velvet texture to the printing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 60D48B1F-594C-46E6-BF9F-373B1C4779F2.jpg (21.8 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg 83F2F8A1-50B1-4979-B724-9F88F3D18DA3.jpg (20.3 KB, 248 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 11-26-2020 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:52 AM

Well I solved the problem of running out of wall space ... just build another wall!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A7E39402-EFB3-47F3-B636-9D4C422C4943.jpg (17.8 KB, 254 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 11-26-2020 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:33 PM
Marc

Greg- Is that going to be a floating wall of pennants? Or are they attached to the wall?

Kyle- thanks for the ASCO info. I'm with Greg about the idea of a book and baseball Rob about taking on the 1958 Giants/Dodgers pennant next.

Attached are pics of some recent additions, mostly from Fballguy, who was nice enough to make these rare 49ers color variants available to me (as well as the bottom Oilers pennant).

I used to think that helmet pennants were kind of boring, but it turns out that there are many rare to very rare versions, which makes them fun to hunt. The 49ers helmet pennant is a bootleg, and I think that the white Oilers is as well. The middle Oilers pennant is very common as a mini, but this is the only full sized version I have seen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4929.jpg (80.7 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4930.jpg (80.1 KB, 252 views)

Last edited by bocca001; 11-26-2020 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:32 PM

Rob: I haven't forgotten about the '58 "Holy Grail" pennant project. It was next on deck in my que; however, due to a certain World Series outcome that ended rather favorably for me, it got bypassed for some more contemporary projects

But it'll get done. The template is finished. I found and purchased the right fabric. I just need to burn the stencil and, at present, all my screens are spoken for on Lakers and Dodgers projects.

Greg: I'm flattered at the thought of a book; but, once I sell my first half dozen copies, I'm afraid I might be left with quite a bit of unsold stock.

Honestly, I'm convinced, for the time being, that a (free) website is the best format to share this content with those that follow the hobby. Perhaps one day pennants will get to bobble head status--but, we're not there yet.

Maybe in a few years....
Old 11-26-2020, 06:10 PM
Rob

Quote:
Rob: I haven't forgotten about the '58 "Holy Grail" pennant project. It was next on deck in my que; however, due to a certain World Series outcome that ended rather favorably for me, it got bypassed for some more contemporary projects

But it'll get done. The template is finished. I found and purchased the right fabric. I just need to burn the stencil and, at present, all my screens are spoken for on Lakers and Dodgers projects.

Greg: I'm flattered at the thought of a book; but, once I sell my first half dozen copies, I'm afraid I might be left with quite a bit of unsold stock.

Honestly, I'm convinced, for the time being, that a (free) website is the best format to share this content with those that follow the hobby. Perhaps one day pennants will get to bobble head status--but, we're not there yet.

Maybe in a few years....
I think the market for good vintage bobbing heads is about the same as the pennant market. The new crap does sell, though, to some extent.

And in regard to the WS that finished “favorably” , are you going to make a fantasy pennant with a vintage look?
Old 11-26-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post

And in regard to the WS that finished “favorably” , are you going to make a fantasy pennant with a vintage look?
Bingo, you got it! It's modeled on a mid-1960s pennant design, with a 2020 update. The first batch came out pretty good. I had to make a few modifications; we'll see how the second round turns out this weekend.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Greg- Is that going to be a floating wall of pennants? Or are they attached to the wall?

Kyle- thanks for the ASCO info. I'm with Greg about the idea of a book and baseball Rob about taking on the 1958 Giants/Dodgers pennant next.

Attached are pics of some recent additions, mostly from Fballguy, who was nice enough to make these rare 49ers color variants available to me (as well as the bottom Oilers pennant).

I used to think that helmet pennants were kind of boring, but it turns out that there are many rare to very rare versions, which makes them fun to hunt. The 49ers helmet pennant is a bootleg, and I think that the white Oilers is as well. The middle Oilers pennant is very common as a mini, but this is the only full sized version I have seen.
Those white Phillies picture pennants are hanging in front of the newly constructed wall, there’s a ledge that sticks out in front of it. I put the wall behind it so that the pool table is centered. It’s in my basement, which is good because it is best protected from natural light, but not so good because that’s where the washer/dryer are and it has typical basement issues for a 50 year old house. This wall at least divides the area into two rooms.

Absolutely love the 49ers goldpanner pennants, especially the green one. The colors are so vivid. Some of these, either the graphic colors were dull when applied or it faded, and other remain sharp and beautiful. Great, great pennants.

Last edited by thetahat; 11-27-2020 at 06:40 AM.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:25 AM
Rob

Circa 1968. Nothing here too rare, I don't think. The pennant behind the speaker says "1968 LA Dodgers vs. NY Yankees."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (75.5 KB, 228 views)
Old 11-27-2020, 12:05 PM
Gary

I'm hoping to rely on the collective knowledge of Net54 to help educate me on these 2 pennants that I picked up recently. They're 8.5" x 11". I've seen some listing showing them from 1969. Any info (manufacturer, date, value) would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 93437245_1_x.jpg (35.7 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg 93437247_1_x.jpg (35.3 KB, 230 views)
Old 11-27-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
I'm hoping to rely on the collective knowledge of Net54 to help educate me on these 2 pennants that I picked up recently. They're 8.5" x 11". I've seen some listing showing them from 1969. Any info (manufacturer, date, value) would be appreciated.
Hi Gary, I’m not the football pennant expert here but my educated guess is 1969-72, made by Trench, and would fetch $25-35 apiece on eBay. They are very rare and very cool!
Old 11-27-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Circa 1968. Nothing here too rare, I don't think. The pennant behind the speaker says "1968 LA Dodgers vs. NY Yankees."
Now this is very interesting .... as it shows a family of pennants and dates them. Clearly not Trench, not Ad Flag, not ASCO .... if I had to guess, it’s the unknown company who made the 1958 LA/SF Opening Day pennant, and mid 50s WS pennants.
Old 11-27-2020, 02:43 PM
Bobw

Quote:
It's actually a 1963 World Series pennant that they made an 8 from the 3.

Old 11-27-2020, 02:53 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw View Post
It's actually a 1963 World Series pennant that they made an 8 from the 3.

Ahhhh. Interesting.
Old 11-27-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
I think these were made in the 1960s; however, I believe these were made by ASCO--not Trench. ASCO made very similar fish tail pennants (with circular photo cut-outs) for certain Minnesota Twins players throughout the 1960s; and, along with Trench, they had a license from the NFL to do so that began in the mid-1960s, which would account for the presence of the NFL shield on these.

I think they're cool. Good pick-up.
Old 11-27-2020, 04:19 PM
Gary

Thanks guys. That's really helpful.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:44 PM

Okay this won’t interest anyone else but I am really jazzed about these ... three different purchases last week, three mint ASCO cloth pennants. The Royals is hard to find without fading and the Pirates is hard to find in general (in cloth). Tigers must be from 1967 or 68 since it is clearly same company but no MLB. (The Tigers ‘69 ASCO is orange and not too uncommon.) ... I have still yet to see a cloth Giants ‘69 pennant in this series.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 475DEC50-E372-4CF3-9BFF-05FF41206404.jpg (20.0 KB, 194 views)
Old 12-02-2020, 07:39 PM

Finished decorating the new wall, decided to put all of my stadium pennants on it. Generally not the most valuable but they display the best IMO. 45 more pennants brings the total to 205 full-size pennants on the walls in one room. Here are some observations about these Trench stadium pennants, in addition to KB’s great insight on his blog:

1. It seems that with one exception, there are at most three or four variations for each team in terms of the ballpark graphic and the logo used. This doesn’t include color variations. ... The Tigers have by my count 11 different versions, including the 1969 Tiger with crown. I have nine of them.

2. The Reds might have the only one on white. It’s probably my favorite.

3. No stadium pennant for Phillies, Senators I or II, Twins, Colt 45s. Every other team has one.

4. I think these started in 1956-57, with the earliest having the TMC trademark.

5. The Mets and the SF Giants have them but they are notably ... different (in a good way). The artwork just doesn’t look the same even though they look great. I don’t have any SFG ballpark pennants but I’ve seen Marc and Rob’s. I’m including a pic of two Mets pennants, top is Trench and bottom is ASCO ... yet the ballpark graphic looks identical.

6. The green paint is almost always faded to yellow ... or were they made that way on most pennants? The White Sox strangely have the most vivid colors.

7. Trench did these for Buffalo and Indianapolis in the IL and AA. They are on my wall. Would love to know if any other teams exist (Toronto? Rochester?)

Oh well thanks for reading. It’s gonna be a looong winter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EBE86ECC-5F9D-42BD-B6A4-23F0831C0E75.jpg (21.6 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg 069F71F5-1A8F-48A0-BFFB-48FE5E4B4A5A.jpg (20.8 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg 331F4895-61E4-488E-AD53-7CF2FFBE6DC6.jpg (19.6 KB, 162 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 12-02-2020 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:40 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Looks amazing Greg!

I love your yellow KC Athletics. So rare to find the yellow version, and it's very attractive in that color. And the other KC Athletics (with the Dumbo-like Elephant) is probably my favorite of all... tied with Mr. Red riding on his Bat above Crosley Field.

Also.... Does this one count as yet another Stadium Pennant for the Tigers? Seems like it straddles a fine line....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gerger.jpg (75.0 KB, 159 views)
Old 12-03-2020, 05:58 AM
Rob

I love it, Greg!

How do you affix them to the wall? I’m assuming those are all in rigid holders?
Old 12-03-2020, 06:30 AM
Marc

Looks great, Greg. The early SF Giants pennants (early for SF) with the batter in the stadium are very, very hard to find (thanks again, Mark, for mine). Are other teams as rare?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Giants batter in stadium.jpg (58.4 KB, 157 views)
Old 12-03-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Looks amazing Greg!

I love your yellow KC Athletics. So rare to find the yellow version, and it's very attractive in that color. And the other KC Athletics (with the Dumbo-like Elephant) is probably my favorite of all... tied with Mr. Red riding on his Bat above Crosley Field.

Also.... Does this one count as yet another Stadium Pennant for the Tigers? Seems like it straddles a fine line....
After much deliberation by the Committee of Basement Wall Decoration it was decided that Tigers pennant does not qualify as a stadium pennant although a resolution was passed establishing it as one of the best ever Tigers pennants. I have this in multi color and in all-orange print. Same decision on the Fenway Park Red Sox pennant that use the ballpark as a stand-alone logo.

Speaking of the KCA pennant, to my knowledge, it is the only yellow/gold Trench pennant?
Old 12-03-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I love it, Greg!

How do you affix them to the wall? I’m assuming those are all in rigid holders?
Thanks Rob! Rigid holders thumbtacked to the wall. Nothing else will hold.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Looks great, Greg. The early SF Giants pennants (early for SF) with the batter in the stadium are very, very hard to find (thanks again, Mark, for mine). Are other teams as rare?
That is a stunning pennant. I guess it is Trench, with lefty hitter guy ... but it looks a little different and it seems as if the spine is also cloth? Really cool and rare. Aside from my two minor league pennants (Indianapolis and Buffalo) I think the hardest to find might be the Polo Grounds Giants. Also I think the Orioles pennant with the large stadium is tough ... I’d like to get this in orange.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E28B3AF7-CCE2-4348-8066-CCAAF3446B32.jpg (21.1 KB, 143 views)
Old 12-03-2020, 11:15 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
That is a stunning pennant. I guess it is Trench, with lefty hitter guy ... but it looks a little different and it seems as if the spine is also cloth? Really cool and rare. Aside from my two minor league pennants (Indianapolis and Buffalo) I think the hardest to find might be the Polo Grounds Giants. Also I think the Orioles pennant with the large stadium is tough ... I’d like to get this in orange.
Aw shoot... I wish I knew about the earlier orange Orioles. I consigned that one to LOTG two auctions ago in a paired lot.

Marc... I personally think your Giants stadium pennant is the rarest one of all.... followed by Greg's white Reds and the NY Giants with the Willard Mullin Bum.

I usually don't regret selling anything, but letting that one go has eaten away at me more than a few times. It's easy to reconcile though, just knowing it's in the hands of a true Giants fan. I don't suspect we'll see another one anytime soon, let alone in that condition.

Last edited by perezfan; 12-03-2020 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-03-2020, 12:57 PM
Marc

Thanks, Mark. I do love it and it fits really well with my collection. It has a good home.

I would trade it for this, though
Old 12-03-2020, 01:37 PM
Rob

Quote:
Slightly different. There are a few variations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020-05-13 05.19.35.jpg (80.6 KB, 141 views)
Old 12-03-2020, 01:52 PM
Marc

Mine clearly depicts the stadium after a flood.

The batters look just a bit different as well (in the face). Rob's also has the wavy lines up near the bat (to depict the force of the swing), but mine doesn't.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Mine clearly depicts the stadium after a flood.
Okay, so I'm not the only person that thought that that right field "flood" part of the Candlestick graphic looked odd! I'm sure they intended to depict a walkway of sorts; but, why does it appear in some; and not in others?

Rob, Marc ... I'm looking at you two on this one....
Old 12-03-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Looks amazing Greg!

I completely agree: that Tigers pennant is awesome. Interesting thing about it: I do believe that version was by Trench...

...but beware: WGN liked the design so much they made a copy of it featuring the same stadium façade artwork; albeit, much smaller; and using Day Glo colors; and featuring the ballpark's more contemporary name/signage, "TIGER STADIUM."

WGN's was made in '68 to commemorate the "Sock it to'em" Tigers, so the Trench version likely came out much earlier.

They even ripped-off Trench's signature letter font!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TigersPennantByWGN.jpg (21.9 KB, 122 views)

Last edited by Domer05; 12-03-2020 at 08:43 PM.