NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-01-2021, 10:49 AM
Todd
Todd Ev@ns

Default A Vey Successful National

I had a few objectives for this years National.

1. Talk with PSA about my 1915 Cracker Jack Ty Cobb that was graded Authentic Altered. I purchased this card from REA and they submitted it raw and it came back as Authentic Altered due to a very small spot on the back of the card that they thought had been altered. I was convinced that the card had NOT been altered and wanted a senior grader at PSA to take another look and give an opinion.

2. Find and purchase a nice looking 1907 Dietsche batting Ty Cobb.

3. See in person a few cards currently at auction that I am bidding on as well consign a few things with REA.

Thursday morning I just happened to be talking with Levi Bleam of 707 at his booth when Joe Orlando walked up and we all started talking. After about 10-15 minutes of talking I asked him his opinion on the card and he directed me to have it looked at again by PSA. I was able to immediately get the card back to them to review. A couple of hours later I got the good news that the card was reviewed and they agreed that the card wasn’t altered and I got it back graded as a PSA 2. Needless to say I was thrilled and pleased. It’s such a beautiful card and presents as a NM.

On Friday, I was able to make a deal for a great looking PSA 3 Dietsche Cobb. I searched all over Thursday and I only saw two for sale at the whole show which included the one I purchased.

It was crazy busy and from talking to many dealers a VERY profitable National. Can’t wait until next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2021, 10:57 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUCARDFAN View Post

Thursday morning I just happened to be talking with Levi Bleam of 707 at his booth when Joe Orlando walked up and we all started talking. After about 10-15 minutes of talking I asked him his opinion on the card and he directed me to have it looked at again by PSA. I was able to immediately get the card back to them to review. A couple of hours later I got the good news that the card was reviewed and they agreed that the card wasn’t altered and I got it back graded as a PSA 2. Needless to say I was thrilled and pleased. It’s such a beautiful card and presents as a NM.
Awesome! Congrats!
Old 08-01-2021, 10:57 AM
pete ullman

congrats...that's a big SUCCESS I'd say!!!!
Old 08-01-2021, 10:58 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Congratulations on the upgrade and the Dietsche Todd, both beautiful Cobbs.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 08-01-2021, 10:58 AM
David M.

Congratulations on the Cobb (both Cobbs actually)! That is a great looking PSA 2. It's nice to see some of the vintage from the show. All the posts I've watched on YouTube have focused on the new shiny stuff and the prices. Glad to know there's still some people looking for the vintage material.
Old 08-01-2021, 11:11 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUCARDFAN View Post
I had a few objectives for this years National.

1. Talk with PSA about my 1915 Cracker Jack Ty Cobb that was graded Authentic Altered. I purchased this card from REA and they submitted it raw and it came back as Authentic Altered due to a very small spot on the back of the card that they thought had been altered. I was convinced that the card had NOT been altered and wanted a senior grader at PSA to take another look and give an opinion.

2. Find and purchase a nice looking 1907 Dietsche batting Ty Cobb.

3. See in person a few cards currently at auction that I am bidding on as well consign a few things with REA.

On Friday, I was able to make a deal for a great looking PSA 3 Dietsche Cobb. I searched all over Thursday and I only saw two for sale at the whole show which included the one I purchased.

It was crazy busy and from talking to many dealers a VERY profitable National. Can’t wait until next year.

Fantastic Story and Results
Congrats and Thus A trip well worth it

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 08-01-2021, 11:32 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Brilliant show, Jeff. Congrats.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-01-2021, 11:43 AM
T0NY @

Congrats Todd. Now that's a successful show.

Always great to hear stories like this!
Old 08-01-2021, 12:05 PM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

Congrats! Thanks for sharing!

Old 08-01-2021, 12:48 PM
Todd
Todd Ev@ns

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it.

Old 08-01-2021, 12:50 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Great Card Man !! Wow Beautiful
Old 08-01-2021, 01:15 PM
Mike P.ap

Default REALLY cool!

Thanks for sharing. Your story was so much shorter than most but oh so rewarding!

I have been watching alot of youtube videos this week from the National and I really do feel sad for alot of them and the younger kids there as they have no knowledge or appreciation of vintage.

You put that Cobb done next to a shiny Doncic Rookie and they would go for the New basketball card 9 times out of 10 (un-official of course lol).

I saw one video where the videographer collected all new stuff and a vintage collector walked by and he asked him "if you collected new stuff who would it be?" The guy was like.... "I just collect vintage so I'm not sure". The kid then says well would it be Mahomes? The guy says yeah I guess. The kids like "so you just collect vintage.....thats cool" He then proceeded to interview 20 other guys that collect new stuff!

UGH!

You did very well this week. That Cobb deserved to have a numerical grade and it's the best 2 I've ever seen! Congrats on that and the postcard!

Peace, Mike
Old 08-01-2021, 04:33 PM
Al Stein

I always figured knowing Orlando was worth a 2 grade bump haha, I am just surprised Joe still has the juice.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2021, 05:14 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Nice to know they are so easily convinced. Good grief.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:38 PM
Val Kehl

Well done, Todd. Now then, how about telling us what you learned during your 10-15 minute chat with Joe Orlando?
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:18 AM
Robert Williams

Was Joe there in an official PSA capacity or did he talk about what his next venture might be?
Old 08-02-2021, 04:49 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Once they got past the "altered" part...

How the heck did they only give that a 2? Are there defects that we aren't seeing? On the back?

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:41 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
How the heck did they only give that a 2? Are there defects that we aren't seeing? On the back?
No offense to Todd but I agree with Conner it would be interesting to hear from the grader that changed the grade. In the REA description it says the reason for the authentic grade was it was an album removal that impacted the text and an apparent attempt to reattach that area. In the scan it does look like the post area in postpaid has the typical paper pull you see in a lot of album removals.

015.jpg

015 - Copy.jpg
Old 08-02-2021, 07:20 PM
Todd
Todd Ev@ns

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Nice to know they are so easily convinced. Good grief.

I actually wanted a grader to explain why it was initially graded as altered.

I certainly don’t hold any pull with them and that was the first time I had ever met or even talked with Joe Orlando. He only told me who I should talk to so that a senior grader could look at it.

Yes, the card certainly had been in an album and some of the print on a small portion of the card was lightened when the card was removed. I was certain that nothing had been done to the card and after getting it because seeing it person other than a scam you can easily see that nothing was applied or added which is why I wanted a review of the card. Nothing but the actual condition of the card warranted the grade that it ended up getting.

The auction description was written after the card was graded and since it was graded as authentic/altered the auction description writer most likely assumed that it had been altered. Most auction write ups are written off a scan/pic of the item and not the actual item itself sitting in front of the auction writer.

Seeing the card in person and under magnification rather than just from a scan shows why I was convinced that it wasn’t altered.

I am happy that I bought it but I have to feel a little bad for the consigner because the initial grader at PSA cost that person a pretty good amount of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in

Last edited by LOUCARDFAN; 08-02-2021 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:59 PM
Todd
Todd Ev@ns

Joe said he was attending the show on his own and under no affiliation with PSA. He mentioned about how nice it is to actually attend a show as a spectator and be on the other side of the table. We mostly talked about music and concerts.

I know there were many issues at PSA that should have been publicly addressed and handled much differently under Joe’s run but I certainly wasn’t going to bring them up and address them. He was actually pleasant and a nice person to talk to.

Last edited by LOUCARDFAN; 08-02-2021 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:18 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

In post #18, the ink in the letters "post" of "postpaid" appears to have an added greenish tint. Is this just an anomaly in the photo, or does the print really look like that?