NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-21-2021, 12:17 PM

Default RIP - Jo Lasorda

Tommy's wife Jo passed away at age 91, eight months after he passed away. They were married in 1950. That's an outstanding career.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:27 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocjack View Post
Tommy's wife Jo passed away at age 91, eight months after he passed away. They were married in 1950. That's an outstanding career.
Wow married young and stayed together so long

RIP

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 09-21-2021, 06:59 PM
St.eve Sus.sman

She can be with her Tommy again. May she rest in peace.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:10 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
She can be with her Tommy again. May she rest in peace.
And with their son also.
Old 09-22-2021, 03:06 PM
Bobby Binder

My dad was friends with Tommy, we went to the 77 WS game 4 vs the Yankees and sat with Jo and her son...what a great experience. RIP
Old 09-22-2021, 03:53 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

Tommy was a class act. My son with Tommy during the 2005 spring training in Vero Beach and got a baseball autographed by Tommy and the Dodgers along with a Dodgers Hat autographed by Eric Gagne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 135815407_1743247385849870_6563464671397671361_n.jpg (9.1 KB, 136 views)
Old 09-22-2021, 11:15 PM
Geno W@gn&r

Default Lasorda

When I was a wee lad, running around Wrigley Field, there was a spot that a few kids knew about, where you could squeeze in under the stands, to the tunnel, leading to the field from the clubhouse. It was on the visitor’s side, and maybe about three or four kids could squeeze in there. The chicken wire had a few gaps in it, so you could slip your scorecard through there, and hope the players would sign it as they walked down the tunnel. Most of them pretty much ignored you, or didn’t have a pen, which of course, we’d forgotten also. Who brings a pen to the game? Anyway, I remember the Dodgers being in town, and going to a double header, because my dad was a Brooklyn Dodger fan, so we always tried to get to those games. I squeezed under there with my brothers, and waited for the Dodgers to come down the tunnel. Sure enough, here comes Lasorda, and he stops to talk to us. Now this is a dark tunnel, no press anywhere, and a few kids that he could easily ignore. But he doesn’t. And he has a pen. This was during Garvey’s consecutive game streak, because I remember him pulling Steve Yeager over to sign our cards. He says “Hey Steve, these kids think I should sit Garvey today, what do you think?” Yeager thinks it’s a bad idea, but La SOrda pretends like he’s thinking about. FInally he just laughs and tells us to have fun, and walks down the tunnel. But he spent probably five minutes with us, debating over Garvey in the lineup or not. That was fun then, but looking back, it just tells you the kind of guy he was. A guy who loved the game, a guy who loved the kids, and a guy who carried a pen. Lasorda will always be a favorite for me, even as a Cubs fan.

Cheers,
Geno
Old 09-23-2021, 04:07 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

That’s a great story Geno. I’m glad you had that experience.

Last edited by egri; 09-23-2021 at 04:26 AM.
Old 09-23-2021, 05:46 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Went to spring training at Vero, circa 1990. Was sitting behind Mrs. Lasorda, although I didn't know it until he came over and talked to her right before the game. She told him "Now remember, we're supposed to meet the so-and-so's for dinner tonight" at a time that seemed sort of early to me. So along about the 6th inning, a play happens and he comes firing out of the dugout, yelling at the umps. Right away they toss him, she says goodbye to her friends, and off to dinner they go. I always thought that was cool.

Ken

PS: Same game, right in the middle of it, Eddie Murray hits a home run. He circles the bases, walks into the dugout and grabs his golf clubs, and walked straight down the right field line and out into the parking lot while the next guy was batting. Gotta love Spring Training!
Old 09-23-2021, 07:44 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HercDriver View Post
When I was a wee lad, running around Wrigley Field, there was a spot that a few kids knew about, where you could squeeze in under the stands, to the tunnel, leading to the field from the clubhouse. It was on the visitor’s side, and maybe about three or four kids could squeeze in there. The chicken wire had a few gaps in it, so you could slip your scorecard through there, and hope the players would sign it as they walked down the tunnel. Most of them pretty much ignored you, or didn’t have a pen, which of course, we’d forgotten also. Who brings a pen to the game? Anyway, I remember the Dodgers being in town, and going to a double header, because my dad was a Brooklyn Dodger fan, so we always tried to get to those games. I squeezed under there with my brothers, and waited for the Dodgers to come down the tunnel. Sure enough, here comes Lasorda, and he stops to talk to us. Now this is a dark tunnel, no press anywhere, and a few kids that he could easily ignore. But he doesn’t. And he has a pen. This was during Garvey’s consecutive game streak, because I remember him pulling Steve Yeager over to sign our cards. He says “Hey Steve, these kids think I should sit Garvey today, what do you think?” Yeager thinks it’s a bad idea, but La SOrda pretends like he’s thinking about. FInally he just laughs and tells us to have fun, and walks down the tunnel. But he spent probably five minutes with us, debating over Garvey in the lineup or not. That was fun then, but looking back, it just tells you the kind of guy he was. A guy who loved the game, a guy who loved the kids, and a guy who carried a pen. Lasorda will always be a favorite for me, even as a Cubs fan.

Cheers,
Geno
What a great story, thank you for sharing.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:28 AM
J@RR0D

Awesome, Geno. Love stories like that.