NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-30-2006, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Default OT/Help w/dizzy dean auto/wire photo/real?

Posted By: robfouch

I hope this is OK to post this. I'm mostly a lurker but post on occasion. I was just wondering if there are any autograph experts out there who might give me an opinion on whether this a real Dizzy Dean auto on this old wire photo with Frankie Frisch. It's an AP photo dated from 1935 at the annual dinner of the New York Baseball Writers' Association. I got it mixed in with a lot of cards I bought a few years back. From the few Dizzy signatures I could find on eBay, it looks like it could be real, but I would appreciate any help someone could give me. And approximate value, too.
Thanks.
Rob

Old 12-31-2006, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Deans signature varied somewhat over his life time. Not drastically, but did vary. He also employed a ghost writer for many years. The imposters are very difficult for us novices to catch. An expert can tell. The ghost writer had Dean's signiture down very well. It looks good, but you'll have to have it authenticated. The news photo is cool though. The paper attached to the back of the photo is called a slug. In any case nice photo...Worth maybe $150.00. he lived to be 63 years old, and signed a lot of items.

Old 12-31-2006, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

thanks very much, Mike. I wonder if it's worth the cost to get it authenticated. I don't collect autographs so I've never done it. What would be the charge for a photo like this?

Old 12-31-2006, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

That signature matches up very well with my Dean 3x5. I think it is authentic. Is anything on the back of the photo?

Autograph authentication will come with a cost, authenticators will charge for the service.

Old 12-31-2006, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Thanks, Frank. Yes, on the back is the "slug," as Mike referred to it. It's a piece of paper attached with the AP caption information. It's crumbling a bit.

Old 12-31-2006, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

A Dean signed original AP photo would be worth some $$. His signature is neither rare nor plentiful, but there is good demand for it. If you feel the sig is real and wish to sell it, you can offer it on ebay with a PSA/DNA quick opinion which is relatively inexpensive.

Old 12-31-2006, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the advice, David. I appreciate it. I might just go that route. As cool as the photo is, I need some cash to pay for some t206 cards I just bought -- before my wife kills me.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:15 PM
Administrator

If the sig is real (I have no Dean sigs to make make my own comparison), that the autograph is on an original 1935 w/AP tag makes it more valuable than on a modern 8x10 reprint. So make sure to point out that the photo itself is vintage to 1935.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Well, at least the service was fast. But alas, the PSA/DNA opinion came back as "Likely not Genuine." I wonder why. They don't offer any reasons. So should I pull the photo from ebay? It stinks how they have you list it first, then tell you it's not genuine, which means you pay the listing fees. Maybe there was a way to do it before listing. Not sure.
anyway, i guess I should yank it. Or just add the "likely not genuine" and hope someone buys it simply for the appeal of the photo. I don't know.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:50 PM
Administrator

The photo itself is collectable. You can offer it as the photo, and note that the signature itself is not genuine.