NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Default First March Pickups Thread

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Picked up some more photos of the 1921 New Orleans Pelicans -

Dazzy Vance and Tom Phillips

Photobucket

Photobucket

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/nudan92/Minor%20League%20Snapshots/

Old 03-02-2008, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: brock

I'm starting to collect the 1936 yankees and giants. I'm going to make a huge display with team photos and all of their autographs. I started with the 1932 yankees but decide to go with the 36 yankees instead. I bought these at the end of the month so i'll post them now. nothing special, my favorites are the George pipgras and Chas Ruffing. PSA used alot of plastic to slab the pipgras.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brock G.

Just got this pennant-
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

I have been way, way behind on my scanning. Pick ups since about the first of the year:

This one is Maud Nelson - a pioneer in women's baseball. I was really glad to get this one - hadn't seen it before:

And maybe my favorite of these, this one from Joe Jones who gave it to me for free because he thought I'd like it and it would fit my collection. Free. Nothing. Just to be nice. Thanks so much Joe.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Outstanding Joann!!! Do you have a gallery of all your bloomer girl postcards? How many different ones do you have?

Old 03-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

Brock!!! You didn't tac that pennant to the wall did you?!?!

Old 03-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Oh i thought you were talking about my little 1936 mini pennant, but i forgot there's another Brock on this board now.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Yea Mike, I did nail it to the wall. But I didn't put any new holes in it. I put the nails through holes that were already there.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Nice Pennant Brock... I always have loved that one (pretty tough variation as well...)

I do agree with Mike - It would be better to insert/display the pennnant in a plastic sleeve, and put the tacks/nails through the sleeve (and not through the felt pennant itself).

The holes can enlarge, and the pennant can actually sag in the middle from being hung the way we all did it as kids. Plus the sleeve will protect it from dust, light, etc.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Administrator

I know putting it in a plastic sleeve is the smart thing to do but I'm just not crazy about the way they look under plastic. Kind of like putting those plastic covers on your couch.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:52 AM
Administrator

I hear you Brock... that's funny. My parents just moved/down-sized into an "assisted living" facility, and had to get rid of some beloved furniture. They said I could have it, but only under the provision that I would protect it with those clear plastic covers.

It's now been about 3 months, and I do not envision ever being old (or anal) enough to get these. Never really thought of this in terms of pennants, however. I suppose it just depends upon how attached you are to what you're trying to protect- so I have to admit my double-standard!

This topic lends credence to the term "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Old 03-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Administrator

1912 First pitch of the MINK (Missouri/Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas) League Series

1912 Humboldt MINK League

edited to add: the postcard is dated 1912 on it, but Humboldt did not win the MINK in 1912, but they did in 1911 so it's possible whoever did up the postcard wrote the wrong year on it.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Dan

I can't see the image at work, but it was common in those days to refer to the following year as being the championship year. I have posted before the Sporting Life champion booklets where they refer to the White Sox for example as the 1907 champions, when they were referring to their win in 1906. Maybe that's the case here.

Max

Old 03-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Hey Max! In this case they're referring to a "1912 Series"...so either they got the date wrong, or it's perhaps referring to the opening series of the 1912 season?

Old 03-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Hey Dan

I have maybe two dozen total images of woman players or teams from 1900 give or take. I think maybe 14 or so are organized professional teams like the various Bloomers - labeled, etc. The rest are either individual players or groups of players including teams that are either high school, college, or unknown.

J

Old 03-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: marty quinn

for the life of me i can't seem to get a good photo of a duel signed ball of joe d, and lou gehrig. at any rate here is a few sloppy pics, also a nice 1950 pin up book intact with contents mint!

Old 03-08-2008, 04:28 AM
Administrator

I havn't picked up much of late and it seems I've had far less time for our hobby that usual, but I am quite excited by my new pennant.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-08-2008, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scgaynor

I wonder why Johnny Groth would be highlighted. Does anybody know of there are other pennants for other players?

Scott

Old 03-08-2008, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

Mike/Scott...

I have collected vintage pennants for 20 years, and have NEVER seen another of these (with the single player's name). I am pretty sure you picked up a one-of-a-kind piece there. This could possibly have been made personally for Groth.

Looks like condition is great as well... that's a wonderful pick-up!

Old 03-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Administrator

I have never seen another either Mark. I doubt it was made for Groth, but I suppose anything is possible. I have seen this style before and heard that the little pennant at the tip signified they won the pennant that year. Does anyone agree with that assertion?

Old 03-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

That theory makes no sense, as the Tigers never won the pennant when Groth was with them. They placed second in the league three of those years, though.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:28 AM
Administrator

Good point Jody. It wouldn't make sense to use that little pennant during not pennant winning seasons. I've only seen this style of Tigers pennant (without the Groth) in green and white. Anyone seen other color variations?

Old 03-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

From a recent Henry Yee auction, so yes, I overpaid.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

Mike and Rob...

Interestingly, I was an underbidder on both the Groth Pennant and the Paige Pinback. Not the immediate under-bidder on either (so I didn't drive up your amts. paid), but I was bidding... pretty small world among us collectors!!

Mike:
Even more interesting... I just picked up that same Tigers pennant variation in ORANGE.... so they do come in other colors. I put down an early low-ball bid, and somehow it stuck. Maybe I'll have to write "Johnny Groth" on mine in black marker, so yours will no longer be unique

Here's the pic...

Old 03-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Administrator

I completely missed that one Mark. Very good price. Did you notice it doesn't have the little pennant at the tip?

Old 03-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Mike:

I did not notice that little feature when I placed the bid. But when I re-read this thread, I did see that. I wonder what (if any) significance can be attributed to the little flag?

The Tigers produced more "dated" pennants than any other team (late '40s and '50s), and I have noticed that most of those dated variations do have the little flag. Suppose we may never solve this one...

Old 03-11-2008, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Sweet pennants guys

Old 03-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Mark,
You mentioned that there are more dated tigers pennant than any other team, and I have always noticed that just seems to be more tigers pennants in general than any other team. Vintage Tigers and Cleveland Indian pennants seem to greatly outnumber other teams. Any reason for this? Or is it just my imagination?

Old 03-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Brock...

I think you are right... the Tigers just put more pennants out there than anyone else. I believe that this held true for 4 full decades (30s, 40s, 50s, 60s). They have so many neat variations, that it would be hard for even a very advanced collector to own them all.

The dated ones are among my favorites. The Tigers seemed to put some added artistry in those ones, and some are very tough to nail down (as they were only sold for one year). Every time I have lost out on one, or have been an under-bidder, I've come to regret it. It took me about 8 years to find a particular 1951 variation that I had previously let slip through my fingers.

As for other teams, I agree that Cleveland is a close second. If anyone doubts this, check out Rob D's Indians' website... The Indians produced more Championship Pennants for 1948 and '54 than most teams produced over those entire decades.

A rather steep drop to #3... but I would give it to the Boston/Milwaukee Braves. They had some great variations over the years, and really celebrated those '57/'58 championship seasons with lots of different pennants.

Worst Pennant selections over the years.... Phillies and Senators/Twins... not much imagination/effort expended by either.

Eager to hear others' feedback... whoever is still reading (and not bored to tears by now), please add to the list.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Having a good week in the beer and baseball department!
Nabbed another sleeper...

Almost got it for 15 bucks...but alas...still very happy with the price.

A great 1948 Narragansett Red Sox/Braves Schedule.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320226178228&ssPageName=ADME:B:DBS:US:1123

Old 03-14-2008, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Vincent

Maybe Walter O. and Spike Briggs decided it was important to remind folks where the Tigers played their home games. There certainly seems to be an abundance of Briggs Stadium-related Detroit team pennants. Maybe it was an advertising angle. Don't know personally. Just my observaton.

Thanks.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:30 PM
Administrator

I'm not crazy about the Briggs Stadium pennants for some reason. The Cubs and Yankees put out some nice pennants, but the dated versions are few and far between. The Cubs had little to celebrate date wise, but I don't understand why there aren't more dated Yankee pennants (pre 1960).

Old 03-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

ca. 1910 ChiSox

Old 03-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rawn Hill

Nice pickup Steve.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Got my new bat in the mail today, its even better looking in person. Sorry for the big pic.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Brock, there was an Earp that played in 1920 in the Florida State League for Bartow and Tampa...in 1922 in the Cotton States League for Jackson....and in 1927 in the Southeastern League for St Augustine/Waycross. No first name is known for this player but I think it is the same guy on all 4 teams as he is listed as a Catcher for all of them.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Dan
I bet your right that it is the same guy. It dont really matter to me i just like the bat because of the age and look. Also i forgot i also picked up a Krens Special bat. It's a Eddie (cant make out his last name starts with a M).

Old 03-16-2008, 06:40 AM
Administrator

Very nice pickup Brock

Old 03-16-2008, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Here's that kren bat i was talking about. We believe it may be Eddie morgan and the bottom of the G got cut off. Who do you guys think it is. Also is this game used or a store model krens. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith

I picked up this Eagles pennant recently. The condition leaves something to be desired, but this is a seldom seen type of Eagles pennant.

I have run out of wall space in my "Eagles" room, and instead of having some of my less exciting pennants stored in a box somewhere I decided to take it to the ceiling. I made a large pennant pinwheel on my ceiling with adhesive interlocking hangers on the back of the rigid pennant holders. The pennants that I have up there are nothing special ranging from the 60's to the 90's but I think it creates a cool display.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

was hyped as the next joe dimaggio as a teenager.....needless to say he never lived up to it.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Ben, great pickups...I was the underbidder on the Lincoln tintype - I wanted to go higher but I just couldn't because there is no way to ever know if it was Lincoln, Nebraska or not. With that said I think you got a great deal on it.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

Dan,
I am relatively new to the baseball hobby and mainly collect cards. I thought these two photos were real nice though and pretty cheap too! I've seen many of the items you have shared here on Net54 and figured you would buy the tintype. As you stated, a little more than 100.00 for a photo of this vintage is cheap regardless of the team. What do you think of the price I paid for the other photo (295.00)? Does that sound about right? As I said, I mainly collect cards so I'm unsure of the value on photos/memorabilia.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Administrator

I think $295 is a good price for the top photo too. For whatever reason if your not buying from Henry Yee photos are going for a real good bargain right now.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Mt Joy

I dont get to post here much but just could not resist picking up this cool photo of Paul Waner.
Also it has his name on the back which wasnt listed on the auction so I am assuming he didnt sign it but it would be a big help if any of the resident autograph experts (Jodi, Richard, etc) would let me know for sure. Thanks a bunch.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Old 03-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Not even close. Nice pic, though. I too have purchased some pieces from this grouping.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Mt. Joy

Thanks a bunch Jodi. Yes they have been selling some really cool photos, I just couldnt pass this one up.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Mt. Joy

Nice early photo of Roberto Clemente-

Photobucket
Photobucket

Old 03-28-2008, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Scott:

That's a wonderful early image of Clemente! If you have access to any early photos of Tony Perez (who also played for Santurce) please post them as well! Thanks for sharing these terrific pics...