NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-11-2022, 08:12 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default NJ Autographfest this weekend (trip report)

Anyone selling at or planning to attend the NJ Autogtaphfest this weekend organized by Probstein at the American Dream Mall? He says there will be 300 tables of people selling cards and memorabilia. I'm a 10-15 minute drive so will certainly go over for a look see. Really no idea what to expect. Probably will be an unusual mix of sellers. Looks like anyone could buy a table from Rick for a pretty modest amount.

https://www.autographfest.com/

Last edited by Snapolit1; 05-16-2022 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-11-2022, 08:13 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Maybe he could consult for the National Committee so they can pull their collective heads out of their asses.
Old 05-11-2022, 09:01 AM
Bob
Bob Comm.entucci

I live in the area & had heard nothing about it. Probstein should have advertised on Net 54 with Leon.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 05-11-2022, 10:34 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Never heard a thing about it either... 171 tables sold though... auto's run from $19 to $350... Mariano River - option 3 is $350.

Mike Tyson's come with a free punchout...lol
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 05-11-2022, 10:46 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbycee View Post
I live in the area & had heard nothing about it. Probstein should have advertised on Net 54 with Leon.

Let us know how it goes.
Well, sure, would have been nice. But considering the tenor of most comments about Probstein around these parts I’m guessing he’s not rushing to advertise here.
Old 05-11-2022, 12:50 PM
Jonathan Sterling

I also live local and I was alerted to this show a couple months ago via Crave the Auto. A site that lets you know upcoming sports autograph signings. I also got an email from a Sixers fan site because Iverson is signing. But no local ads that I have seen.
I did plan on attending but my 1 year old Grandson is living with us so I cannot risk being around crowds with Covid spiking here in NJ.
But there are alot of collector / Dealers near the show and with reasonable table prices there is no telling what might show up. Happy Hunting to those that attend.
J
Old 05-16-2022, 07:56 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I attended the Probstein autographfest/table show last Friday and yesterday at the American Dream Mall in NJ. Maybe spent an hour each time. It was a small show and I don't know if Rick sold all the tables (seemed like some empty space). Was a really sharp podium set up where I assume there was going to be panel discussions.

For those of you from out of the area, the American Dream Mall is more like the American Nightmare mall. A massive indoor mall next door to Giants Stadium that has been a disastrous money pit for investors since the day it was conceived. People have lost tens, hundred of millions. A billion? Lost count now. Has run out of money numerous times and closed, only to be bailed out by more private equity geniuses, to then close again, rinse and repeat. Covid hasn't helped matters. The mall was massive, largely deserted, and felt surreal. Weird place for a show but maybe the price was right. Mall is again tottering on collapse which I am sure will happen.

I went Friday soon after it opened and Sunday a few hours before closing. A few observations for anyone who cares:

- I'd guess the tables were about 20% vintage, 30% newer baseball, maybe 5% vintage memorabilia, and the rest basketball, football, jerseys, etc. Not a wasteland for vintage and a few interesting tables. A picture of a nice case below. A few guys had non-sports cards which were cool to see.

- Lots of interest in new basketball. I assume people trying to make money as that market has softened considerably.

- Saw one guy with some real nice type 1 photos. Is on ebay (forget name) and have seen many of them before.

- On the positive side a lot of younger people sitting at tables and shopping. On a few occasions say a teen guy selling with his sister or girlfriend with him.

- On the negative side, most of the discussions I heard young people having was about "eBay comps". If I overhead heard that phrase one I heard it 75 times. The "it's all about investing" crowd would have felt very vindicated.

- Didn't recognize familiar faces other than Rick who was bouncing around non stop. No major AH that I saw.

- Was a new grading company there, ISA? Never heard of them maybe some of you have. All smiling young kids being friendly and polite and well dressed. Looked like a Mormon retreat or something.

- PSA was there. Didn't walk over. No crazy line like National.

- Last day I spoke at length with a collector of Jewish sports stuff about Koufax and many others. Dude in his 20s. He was real interesting. Was nice to have at least one discussion with a collector who had a deep meaningful connection with his collection. Had some nice stuff and knew his stuff. Has a NY Yankee something handle on ebay and I will look him up.

- I asked a few folks selling if they were going to be selling at the National and most said attending but not selling. The prices to grab a table at this show was peanuts compared to the National.

- Prices were high but that's a show.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2782.jpg (130.2 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2787.jpg (77.9 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2788.jpg (119.7 KB, 315 views)
Old 05-16-2022, 10:20 AM
Bob
Bob Comm.entucci

Nice report Steve, and thanks.

I can't believe PSA was there. Probstein must have some close contact/influence there, or it was a short trip up the Turnpike from their office for someone.
Old 05-16-2022, 10:44 AM
Rich Klein

I just ran a quick google between the Jersey City location and Giants Stadium and that commute is less than 1/2 hour. If you are that close, no reason NOT to set up at what could be a nice show in a "popular" location
Old 05-16-2022, 03:49 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

I had a booth. Hopefully you went to the third floor where the bulk of the show as at. PSA was authenticating autographs for show signers…that was it.

I only took my cheap modern stuff and did well. Wrapped up early Saturday morning and left.

Show has potential. Layout and organization sucked. Bad.

Everything needs to be on one floor. It was like the people running the show had never actually been to a show before. (Rick outsourced this)

I’d do it again because it was cheap, fairly close and it’s fun to BS with people all day. I wouldn’t go if I was a patron looking for vintage.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:07 PM
Hank Thomas

I get nightmares on occasion about some of the weird shows I did at some very strange places in the 90s. This sounds like one of those.
Old 05-17-2022, 12:43 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfast View Post
I had a booth. Hopefully you went to the third floor where the bulk of the show as at. PSA was authenticating autographs for show signers…that was it.

I only took my cheap modern stuff and did well. Wrapped up early Saturday morning and left.

Show has potential. Layout and organization sucked. Bad.

Everything needs to be on one floor. It was like the people running the show had never actually been to a show before. (Rick outsourced this)

I’d do it again because it was cheap, fairly close and it’s fun to BS with people all day. I wouldn’t go if I was a patron looking for vintage.
This post explains the very reason the NSCC wants to ensure their event is ALL on one floor. Sometimes we have to accept some reasons even if we don't want to as a group.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:30 AM

On a whim, I drove the two hours to this show on Sunday, mainly to get Roger Clemens auto. That being said, it was my first time at that mall…very confusing. Took me a while to find how to get back to my car.

It was a decent show, but felt majority of it was modern. I expect this with most newer shows, so can’t be disappointed. There was some vintage tables, but these people must think they have auction house cards because they weren’t even reasonable. Was able to score a pre-war card that was underpriced, so all hope wasn’t lost. If I could just figure out how to post a card heard I’d show lol.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:31 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I don't want to say things were poorly organized. . . .buy I went twice and never realized the show was on more than one level of the place. Not one sign I saw.

QUOTE=walker066;2225694]On a whim, I drove the two hours to this show on Sunday, mainly to get Roger Clemens auto. That being said, it was my first time at that mall…very confusing. Took me a while to find how to get back to my car.

It was a decent show, but felt majority of it was modern. I expect this with most newer shows, so can’t be disappointed. There was some vintage tables, but these people must think they have auction house cards because they weren’t even reasonable. Was able to score a pre-war card that was underpriced, so all hope wasn’t lost. If I could just figure out how to post a card heard I’d show lol.[/QUOTE]