NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-21-2020, 10:43 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
In the Constitution, one of the few, explicit duties of the Federal Government is to establish and maintain a postal service. It would take an amendment to change that. An alternative is to set aside trying to make the postal service into a revenue neutral agency and to focus on getting it to do the job as well as possible.
Mark, my post was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. As a 30+ year Postal USPS employee, with nearly 20 years as a Postmaster, I am well aware of that.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:43 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Rick - the story I am hearing is that the last straw that broke the camels back, so to speak, was Amazon and other mega online sellers dumping massive amounts of packages on USPS, more than they can humanly handle, because UPS and Amazon's own delivery service are beyond the breaking point in the age of pandemic. Have you heard this? I know USPS handles some stuff for Amazon, but the story is they have contracted now to take on some ridiculous load that they cant deal with. Hence, the system has come to a near screeching halt. Sounds possible to me but could be untrue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
Mark, my post was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. As a 30+ year Postal USPS employee, with nearly 20 years as a Postmaster, I am well aware of that.

Rick

Last edited by Snapolit1; 12-21-2020 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-21-2020, 01:17 PM
Bobw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Rick - the story I am hearing is that the last straw that broke the camels back, so to speak, was Amazon and other mega online sellers dumping massive amounts of packages on USPS, more than they can humanly handle, because UPS and Amazon's own delivery service are beyond the breaking point in the age of pandemic. Have you heard this? I know USPS handles some stuff for Amazon, but the story is they have contracted now to take on some ridiculous load that they cant deal with. Hence, the system has come to a near screeching halt. Sounds possible to me but could be untrue.
Retired after 40 years with USPS but still follow what is going on via employee message boards and Facebook groups.....

Since the pandemic started, it has been Christmas volume all summer long with the online shopping because of people staying home....now adding on the REAL Christmas rush, the distribution centers are totally buried under. Tractor trailers are waiting hours to be unloaded in the Midwest with no place to put the mail after it's been unloaded. After the last few years of delivery problems because of volume, UPS and FedEX is limiting the amount of parcels it is accepting from the big retailers....guess where they are going, USPS.

Employees are working 12 hour days or more , 7 days a week. Over 14,000 employees have Covid or are quarantining....wherever there is a Covid hotspot, it's affecting USPS employees too.
Old 12-21-2020, 01:53 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw View Post
Retired after 40 years with USPS but still follow what is going on via employee message boards and Facebook groups.....

Since the pandemic started, it has been Christmas volume all summer long with the online shopping because of people staying home....now adding on the REAL Christmas rush, the distribution centers are totally buried under. Tractor trailers are waiting hours to be unloaded in the Midwest with no place to put the mail after it's been unloaded. After the last few years of delivery problems because of volume, UPS and FedEX is limiting the amount of parcels it is accepting from the big retailers....guess where they are going, USPS.

Employees are working 12 hour days or more , 7 days a week. Over 14,000 employees have Covid or are quarantining....wherever there is a Covid hotspot, it's affecting USPS employees too.
Sad story. Enough to make us consider our patience and empathy for sure. I hope that the new administration can make some changes which might really help the PO instead of just paying lip service to the problems.

Last edited by jchcollins; 12-21-2020 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-21-2020, 02:20 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Sad story. Enough to make us consider our patience and empathy for sure. I hope that the new administration can make some changes which might really help the PO instead of just paying lip service to the problems.
I don't have high hopes at all.
Old 12-21-2020, 04:56 PM

I have 40 eBay packages that were picked up two weeks ago. Absolutely zero movement! Now I have probable claims. I hope eBay will take this into consideration!
Old 12-21-2020, 06:15 PM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

I had an eBay buy with guaranteed delivery of Dec 9. Dec 9 came and went. I checked tracking. I live in Kingsport TN 20 miles from Johnson City and 90 miles from Knoxville. Two Interstates pass me. Tracking showed the package left Kentucky on Dec 7, arrived in Knoxville Dec 8 went to Johnson City Dec 9 scanned once then scanned again 4 minutes later. Dec 10 it was scanned again in Knoxville. About 5 minutes later it was scanned again in Knoxville. Dec 12 it was scanned back in Johnson City. I received it Dec 14. Meanwhile I sent a note to the seller (whom I have dealt with before) saying I was going to leave positive feed back as this wasn't his fault and told him if he paid for guaranteed delivery maybe he could get a refund. His reply was that he couldn't and he had been getting less than positive feedback on delivery. He was very frustrated and said he was stopping all selling until Dec 28th in hope that by then things will have settled down. Incidentally I let him all 5's including arriving on time.
My son is currently a postmaster in Wisconsin and he has been telling me of the problems he has been having due to Covid sickness and mail volume. He also mentioned the load Amazon has put on his P.O. regarding deliveries. I asked him if he could get help from other P.O.'s but they are all in the same boat. Not enough healthy people available to keep things moving smoothly.
Old 12-23-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:

Am having the same problems for all the same reasons, 2 day priority still not delivered after three weeks ...its a different World

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Jim-Stinson...12095200701044
Old 12-31-2020, 01:32 PM
Bru.ce Wil.s0n

Quote:

Thank you for clarifying. People still don’t get it. There’s a pandemic that’s causing a perfect storm. Way too many packages all year long, a federal election by mail and workers out due to COVID or exposure. Some of these distribution centers might be closed as far as we know. You get too many cases and they close like Amazon in NJ did not long ago. But people expect business as usual. It’s not going to be. It sucks having to go out and work right now and constantly expose yourself and your family. I feel these USPS workers. Not all of us can work from home and sit in our jammies all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2020, 03:40 PM

But I ordered new jammies two weeks ago and they’re not HERE yet!

I don’t think anyone is blaming the line level folks at the USPS...we’re just commiserating.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:10 PM

100 eBay packages sent on December 10th.
76 delivered with positive feedback.
24 non delivered with little movement.
0 the amount of packages sent on December 10th delivered today.

Claims are mounting and despite my pleas to remain patient, several hundred in refunds will probably be going out.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:18 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
100 eBay packages sent on December 10th.
76 delivered with positive feedback.
24 non delivered with little movement.
0 the amount of packages sent on December 10th delivered today.

Claims are mounting and despite my pleas to remain patient, several hundred in refunds will probably be going out.
I don't understand why some buyers ignore the fact or don't understand it's
not the sellers fault and they can't be a little patient.

I purchased this card on December 9th with an expected delivery of Dec. 14. The other day I sent the seller a regular ebay message without filing a claim just to let him know I didn't receive it yet in case it doesn't show up. I told him I was in no hurry but just wanted to let him know I haven't received it yet.

He told me he has been having packages arrive 30-35 days out and it was something with the Baltimore PO that is messing everything up.

img067.jpg
Old 01-05-2021, 09:44 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
But I ordered new jammies two weeks ago and they’re not HERE yet!

I don’t think anyone is blaming the line level folks at the USPS...we’re just commiserating.
I do feel for them, but someone on the line level is falsely scanning my packages as having been delivered when I haven’t gotten any mail whatsoever this week. I got about 10 “delivered” alerts last night and another 4 tonight, but zero actual packages. This has happened multiple times over the past couple months. So far everything has eventually shown up, but still. Someone is gaming the tracking system to make their stats look better, and that’s not ok. Customers can’t be expected to blindly trust that they will eventually arrive.
Old 12-21-2020, 12:35 PM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post

Rick
I, for one, thank you for your service. I submitted a mail theft report yesterday afternoon and had an email from our local postmaster by 8:45 this morning and a follow-up call at 10:15.

In all my years, I've had two mail issues: yesterday's theft and then time that a rare Nabisco card was delivered to Alameda St (I live on Alameda Drive) and that was solved when it was re-delivered a few days later.