NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-09-2016, 07:13 PM
Bryan
Bryan Bossa.rd

Default To sell or not to sell? Also asking rookie questions

I'm totally new to buying and selling cards beyond Ebay and the good ole days (1990s).

2 quick questions:

1) I think it is a great market to sell 1950s-60s HOF cards. Am I a fool to sell my 1951 bowman mantle and mays? I feel like it might keep going up or potentially roll back. So seems like a time to sell since its riding high. In fact , im selling everything from that era through a the best auction house I could find.

2) how do you protect yourself during the handoff to the auction house? I've never handed thousands in cards over to someone. I know he's going to cut me a check for some of the value, but still feels weird to do this as I haven't dealt w auction houses before on the selling side. Please advise what I should look for in terms of paperwork or other instruments to protect myself. The guy I'm dealing with acquires cards like the wags , so not exactly afraid for my cards which are worth a fraction of that. But still wondering what I should do as this is big money for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by BBB; 05-09-2016 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:17 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Make sure he is trustworthy, get several references and a receipt for your cards. Any of the known auction houses are safe to deal with. Sending them items (insured) is a safe way to go. As far as when to sell, that is a personal decision with lots of factors involved. The prices are high right now but they could go higher, kind of like the stock market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB View Post
I'm totally new to buying and selling cards beyond Ebay and the good ole days (1990s).

2 quick questions:

1) I think it is a great market to sell 1950s-60s HOF cards. Am I a fool to sell my 1951 bowman mantle and mays? I feel like it might keep going up or potentially roll back. So seems like a time to sell since its riding high. In fact , im selling everything from that era through a the best auction house I could find.

2) how do you protect yourself during the handoff to the auction house? I've never handed thousands in cards over to someone. I know he's going to cut me a check for some of the value, but still feels weird to do this as I haven't dealt w auction houses before on the selling side. Please advise what I should look for in terms of paperwork or other instruments to protect myself. The guy I'm dealing with acquires cards like the wags , so not exactly afraid for my cards which are worth a fraction of that. But still wondering what I should do as this is big money for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2016, 07:54 PM
je.sse @rnot

It was a little disconcerting for me the first time around. Sending thousands or 10s of thousands of dollars worth of cards in the mail with nothing in hand to show for it. As Leon mentioned insure the package and make sure you know who you're dealing with. Any major AH or Ebay seller should be fine. I've dealt with a few with no problems as of yet.

As far as the 51 Mantle and Mays, I recently picked up one of each, so I'm of the opinion that there's still room to grow. They have increased a lot over the last year or two, so you may be getting out at the right time. Hard to say. If nothing else at least you know you should be able to sell them for more than you paid, assuming you've had them for a while.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:10 PM
Bryan
Bryan Bossa.rd

Default To sell or not to sell? Also asking rookie questions

Quote:
If nothing else at least you know you should be able to sell them for more than you paid, assuming you've had them for a while.

That's what I'm going with. I bought for ~1k in 1995 and it's now worth ~7k. Guess it makes up the ground from what I spent on a bunch of 80s/90s stuff that went nowhere and I sold for pennies long ago

I too think it has room to grow. But i suspect the biggest leap has just occurred . Though I could see looking back in 2020 and weeping giant man tears to the $20k card I gave up haha.

Last edited by BBB; 05-09-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:39 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB View Post
That's what I'm going with. I bought for ~1k in 1995 and it's now worth ~7k. Guess it makes up the ground from what I spent on a bunch of 80s/90s stuff that went nowhere and I sold for pennies long ago

I too think it has room to grow. But i suspect the biggest leap has just occurred . Though I could see looking back in 2020 and weeping giant man tears to the $20k card I gave up haha.
There are certain price points out there though....many collectors wont pay more than 10k ever for a card but will pay 5-8k.....some wont pay 5k ever but will pay 2k-3k.... some wont ever pay more than a k ever but will do 500-750....it all depends....sometime a card hits a price point and it real hard to break that number especially if its not a high graded example of the card

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 05-10-2016 at 04:39 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:58 AM
Rich Klein

One should always sell into an up market so this is a great time to take profits on those 1951 rookies

Rich
Old 05-10-2016, 07:58 AM

Default Internal Revenue Service Situation-----??

[QUOTE=BBB;1537130]That's what I'm going with. I bought for ~1k in 1995 and it's now worth ~7k. Guess it makes up the ground from what I spent on a bunch of 80s/90s stuff that went nowhere and I sold for pennies long ago

Does anyone know what effect the long-term-gain of 6k is , in this particular situation.....assuming he is not "a business" , just your normal collector , and has no remaining proof whatsoever of the long term losses for the "80s/90s stuff".......... ?? This happens to a lot of us , I'm sure , and I've seen many conflicting answers and responses .....

Thanks for your replies and answers..