NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Default OT: Jason Whitlock disgrace

Jason Whitlock should be fired immediately for his racial comments regarding NY Knicks PG Jeremy Lin. Basically, he tweeted after the Knicks' win over the Lakers that" Some lucky lady is gonna feel a couple of inches of pain tonight" regarding Asian American Jeremy Lin. This is flat out disgraceful. Imagine if the roles were reversed.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:54 AM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Jason whitlock is and always has been a piece of garbage. The only pain any woman would feel is if he was to slip and fall his big fat a** on them
Old 02-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Dan Bretta

The Kansas City area may have the worst collection of sports journalists in the US. Between Whitlock and Bob Fescoe I can't decide who is the bigger idiot.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:04 AM
Eric Shaeffer

As a half asian myself, it really pissed me off, and so did his weak ass apology. He'd be lucky to see his pecker over his fat gut.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:16 AM
Eric Shaeffer

Btw: he won't be fired because fox sports loves the publicity, playing second fiddle to espn all the time means they'll take anything they can get.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:34 AM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Can you imagine what his 580 pound a** would say if a reporter of another race made a comment like that pertaining an african american player?
Old 02-13-2012, 11:41 AM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Can you imagine what his 580 pound a** would say if a reporter of another race made a comment like that pertaining an african american player?
For the purposes of full disclosure, I'm a white guy but this is something I have often noticed and asked myself over the years.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Isaac Lane

He likes reaction, either one way or another. Good or bad.

FoxSports knew what they were getting when they paid him 800k per year.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:14 PM
James

800k?

Thats a lot of riiibbbbsssssssssss
Old 02-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Its unfortunate but if a white guy said this, he would be fired on the spot!! It's such a double standard.
Something wrong with this pic if he's pulling in 800k!
Old 02-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Alan U

He's like PETA, any publicity is good publicity.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:47 PM
David Str@@te

It kind makes Tony Kornheuiser's Sausage in a Skin comment seem pedestrian.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeCollector View Post
Its unfortunate but if a white guy said this, he would be fired on the spot!! It's such a double standard.
Something wrong with this pic if he's pulling in 800k!

I understand what you're trying to say but I don't see anything unfortunate about it. For nearly the first 50 years of the last century baseball kept black players out of their major leagues and racism ran rampant not only in the sports pages, but also on the fields themselves. These were write sportswriters and white players.

While I agree that if something is wrong for one person to say it should be wrong for another, I do not think anyone is unfortunate for being born a white male in this country and I don't think anything is lost in not being able to make racist comments.

Last edited by packs; 02-13-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Pup6913

So if this guy he commented about was white would this thread even be here? Society is to over sensitive to stuff. If your not happy then F- the majority and give favor to the minority. I had a conversation with a few of my cousins (yes blood related) severals yrs back about comments made to me and some friends we were with. I asked Lee if the fact that I was related to him if it made it ok to say the word "Nigga" to him and others since he did and has called me that several times. He looked kinda stunned and answered NO!! How stunning it was to me. Its ok for another race to make racial slurs all the time and publicly at that, but if anyone else says it of another race its an issue. So how about "PRACTICING WHAT YOU PREACH" or Shut the Flip up for craps sake.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:17 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

However we go with this thread, and how we may disagree with other's opinions, jason whitlock is a supersized piece of garbage. I have heard him many times moan and groan about comments made towards african american athletes, mainly tiger woods in his hay day. What a hypocrite. But it's ok for him to make this kind of bullsh** remark? I don't think so. However much it hurts, the one post was right in what was said. If this had been a white sportswriter making these comments towards an african american athlete, his ass would have been grass....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 02-13-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:09 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

What a doosh. Funny in a private setting perhaps. Dumb, anywhere else.

Incidentally, Jeremy Lin seems like a great asset to the NBA. Knicks fans seem elated too.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Eric Shaeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup6913 View Post
So if this guy he commented about was white would this thread even be here? Society is to over sensitive to stuff. If your not happy then F- the majority and give favor to the minority. I had a conversation with a few of my cousins (yes blood related) severals yrs back about comments made to me and some friends we were with. I asked Lee if the fact that I was related to him if it made it ok to say the word "Nigga" to him and others since he did and has called me that several times. He looked kinda stunned and answered NO!! How stunning it was to me. Its ok for another race to make racial slurs all the time and publicly at that, but if anyone else says it of another race its an issue. So how about "PRACTICING WHAT YOU PREACH" or Shut the Flip up for craps sake.
Absolutely ridiculous, why would you even want to call him "nigga"? Why would you think being blood related would make it ok? Its not about favoring the minorities brah, its about RESPECT.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:22 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I understand what you're trying to say but I don't see anything unfortunate about it. For nearly the first 50 years of the last century baseball kept black players out of their major leagues and racism ran rampant not only in the sports pages, but also on the fields themselves. These were write sportswriters and white players.

While I agree that if something is wrong for one person to say it should be wrong for another, I do not think anyone is unfortunate for being born a white male in this country and I don't think anything is lost in not being able to make racist comments.
So , basically reverse discrimination is ok? Some people never learn. This was a messed up comment that would have gotten anyone not African American canned!
Whitlock is a hater, plain and simple! It's a shame that these idiots are given a forum to speak their hatred.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:07 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeCollector View Post
So , basically reverse discrimination is ok? Some people never learn. This was a messed up comment that would have gotten anyone not African American canned!
Whitlock is a hater, plain and simple! It's a shame that these idiots are given a forum to speak their hatred.
I agree - it's a shame when idiots are given a forum to speak their hatred.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Alan U

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
However we go with this thread, and how we may disagree with other's opinions, jason whitlock is a supersized piece of garbage. I have heard him many times moan and groan about comments made towards african american athletes, mainly tiger woods in his hay day. What a hypocrite. But it's ok for him to make this kind of bullsh** remark? I don't think so. However much it hurts, the one post was right in what was said. If this had been a white sportswriter making these comments towards an african american athlete, his ass would have been grass....
One thing ironic about this, every seems to forget that Tiger is half asian. I've never once heard Tiger referred to as the Asian golfer Tiger Woods.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:36 PM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ease View Post
Absolutely ridiculous, why would you even want to call him "nigga"? Why would you think being blood related would make it ok? Its not about favoring the minorities brah, its about RESPECT.
Eric obviously you missed the moral of the story I told. I though it was ignorant that I was even called that as well as a few other comments made by his friends we were with. So when asked if it was ok for me to do that the answer was no. So why then is it ok for them to use the word as a greeting but not anyone of another race. Double standards and ignorance!! Its is not ok to use these words and I do not condone the ignorance of these type of people and the lack of a useful vocabulary.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:42 PM

Some people are saying things like "If this guy were white...." My point is, you should never think that because someone else is a racist, you should be able to be a racist too.
This guy should get fired for what he said. And he shouldn't not be fired because he's African American.

To Pup: People should know better. Do you really have to ask WHY it isn't okay for you to use a racial slur? There has been a big movement in this country to take back the N-word and remove its power over a large percentage of our population. It was once only a term full of hate. Now that is not so true. However, what business do you have saying it? I'm failing to see your point. You do not have the experiences with the word that many African Americans do. I don't think you can understand their perspective.

Last edited by packs; 02-13-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Eric Shaeffer

I understood what you were saying, but I'm going to let Andrew Ti sum it up for me:

"White America (and, OK, fine, Asian America) thirsts for permission to say the n-word: "What about in song lyrics?" "What if my black friend says he doesn't care?" "It's racist that black people can say it but I can't." The word is reclaimed by the people it oppresses, and parts of America can't wait to join in on the fun.

Does the Jeremy Lin phenomenon mean rewriting the rules of the N-Word Pass? Without getting bogged down in nuance, the basic rules of the N-Word Pass are pretty simple: THERE IS NO F***ING N-WORD PASS. If you're not black, definitely don't say that sh**."

His entire article is here.

I'm sorry for jumping you brother, we t205 guys are too few and far between.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Jeff

White America (and, OK, fine, Asian America) thirsts for permission to say the n-word

Really?

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 02-13-2012, 07:09 PM
Pup6913

For craps sakes. READ the words in my post. He used the word in reference to me and because I was offended by it I asked the question to try and see if he realized that it was not ok to use it. You know I wonder if people only interpret the negative to have something to bitch about

BTW isn't it a board rule to post your full name if you are going to post about stuff like this? Just wondering.

Last edited by Pup6913; 02-13-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:13 PM
Pup6913

Last edited by Pup6913; 02-13-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup6913 View Post
So if this guy he commented about was white would this thread even be here? Society is to over sensitive to stuff. If your not happy then F- the majority and give favor to the minority.... I asked Lee if the fact that I was related to him if it made it ok to say the word "Nigga" to him and others since he did and has called me that several times. He looked kinda stunned and answered NO!! How stunning it was to me.....
My comments were in reference to these aspects of your post. I was suprised that you were surprised by his reaction.

Last edited by packs; 02-13-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:19 PM
Eric Shaeffer

You will never understand. Why were you offended by it?
Old 02-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Pup6913

Quote:
You will never understand. Why were you offended by it?
Because it is derogatory and ignorant. What its okay to say to me because my skin is white. And what right do YOU have. Just because your half asian makes it okay to throw derogatory slurs. So I am part of another race also but I don't use it as an excuse to be ignorant. Check the facts before you comment. I have more right to toss that word than you. My grandfather was African american and my grandmother was Jewish.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:53 PM

I just wanted to say that probably everyone that collects baseball cards has small junk.....but it's just a theory.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:53 PM
Eric Shaeffer

I didn't throw derogatory slurs. Show me where I did that. While u are at it, answer any one of the questions I asked you earlier.

Last edited by Ease; 02-13-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
I just wanted to say that probably everyone that collects baseball cards has small junk.....but it's just a theory.
" A man's gotta know his limitations............"

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 02-13-2012, 08:03 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
My understanding is that the entire mix-up has been resolved. Whitlock showed his winkie to his boss and it turned out to be only 1.8" long. Whitlock said he thought that was normal size and had no idea he had made a racial slur. His contract says that non-racial weiner comments are okay, so everything's good.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Pup6913

Quote:
I didn't throw derogatory slurs. Show me where I did that. While u are at it, answer any one of the questions I asked you earlier.

pm sent
Old 02-13-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I agree - it's a shame when idiots are given a forum to speak their hatred.
Now that is funny, Scott.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:45 PM
Ke.n K0hen

With the vast expansion of sports coverage through newer platforms such as 24/7 cable and social networking media, it's inevitable that a fair number of morons gain entry into the industry. This guy is just one of them. The days of Red Smith and Shirley Povich are long gone.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:33 AM
Dave

Still wondering, at which exact point did we reach the over-saturation threshold, in which "tweets" became "news".

Seems like half the stories on ESPN are about damn tweets.

Ridiculous if you ask me.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:31 AM

The world would be a better place if we could all just grow a little thicker skin and get over it. Seems like you cant turn on the news anymore without someone making a "slur".
Old 02-14-2012, 08:57 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

The world would be a better place if people wouldn't make slurs, and their enablers wouldn't defend them. There are still idiots out there who believe that the Holocaust didn't happen!
Old 02-14-2012, 09:02 AM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Well said gary
Old 02-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Peter Spaeth

I am in the politically incorrect minority here, but it seems to me people are overreacting to a bit of obvious sophomoric humor that, if anything, is poking fun at stereotypes rather than seriously perpetuating them. This isn't at all akin to using the "N" word.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:27 PM

This guy is supposed to be a professional. There is nothing professional about what he said. Jeremy Lin fought for his career daily for years. He didn't persevere just to have some idiot make racially insensitive remarks about something that has nothing to do with basketball. I think most of the outrage doesn't have to do with what he specifically said, the words he used, just the fact that he thought it was okay to say it. Especially in today's world. Obviously he wanted people to read it or he wouldn't have posted it to the Internet. That's where the real disgust lies.

If you went back and read some of the things people used to say about Jackie Robinson it would make your head spin. Why should someone have to be subjected to anything like that again?

Last edited by packs; 02-14-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
This guy is supposed to be a professional. There is nothing professional about what he said. Jeremy Lin fought for his career daily for years. He didn't persevere just to have some idiot make racially insensitive remarks about something that has nothing to do with basketball. I think most of the outrage doesn't have to do with what he specifically said, the words he used, just the fact that he thought it was okay to say it. Especially in today's world. Obviously he wanted people to read it or he wouldn't have posted it to the Internet. That's where the real disgust lies.

If you went back and read some of the things people used to say about Jackie Robinson it would make your head spin. Why should someone have to be subjected to anything like that again?
Absolutely "Right oN!"

Since then, as a society we've done a 180 verbally... it's to our own demise. Lin is an amazing physically talented ball player who has come a long way. He's just now starting to develop.

My Bother, who is a retired NYPD officer, told me yesterday that when the media asked Kobi Bryant "What he thought about Lin?" His reply was, "Who?" Well, I'm sure he knows who Jeremy is NOW!
Old 02-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Ron Hanna

I live in KC Mo and Jason Whitlock was run out of town for runnin his mouth too much.

Now Floyd Mayweather is stickin his foot in his mouth about Lin
Old 02-14-2012, 04:02 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I actually don't think what Mayweather said was that bad since on a similar note, I think that much of the publicity is because Lin is playing in New York. If this were in Cleveland, this news would barely make the radar, IMHO. I think as teams start "game planning" for Lin, his productivity may go down, but I'm hoping for the best.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:02 PM

Mayweather's quote is just as ignorant but not nearly as offensive. Basketball is a sport with predominantly African American players and until now, no Asian American players. Does he really not understand why Lin is a news story? Perhaps he really is that dense. But looking at the comments he's made about Pacman in the past, he's probably also a bigot. It's strange to me that two men whose fathers were likely excluded from so many opportunities just a generation ago would be so ignorant today.

Last edited by packs; 02-14-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:30 PM
Isaac Lane

Quote:
Mayweather's quote is just as ignorant but not nearly as offensive..
packs, that you mention Mayweather's quotes to Whitlock's tweet should show how low he has stooped here.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:19 PM
Kenny Cole

It doesn't happen often, but I agree with Peter in this instance. I also wonder how many of the purportedly offended can honestly say that they have never uttered or thought something similar, or worse, in their lifetimes. I don't think I could truthfully make that claim, nor do I think most of the posters here could. Stones and glass houses. He said something stupid, he rightfully got called on it, he has now apologized, and its done. Time to move on.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
It doesn't happen often, but I agree with Peter in this instance. I also wonder how many of the purportedly offended can honestly say that they have never uttered or thought something similar, or worse, in their lifetimes. I don't think I could truthfully make that claim, nor do I think most of the posters here could. Stones and glass houses. He said something stupid, he rightfully got called on it, he has now apologized, and its done. Time to move on.
Kenny, you don't post ethic slurs here, and if you were a public figure you would probably do like dealers and others and barely post anything here that you thought might be even the tiniest bit controversial. If I have a funny thought I might post it here, but if I have a funny ethic slur joke thought...I'll tell it to my girlfriend instead and let her slap me.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:41 AM

Race....ignorance....derogatory....blah, blah, blah.

People need to lighten up!

I swear nothing gets people more fired up than racial talk (maybe religion) and Im totally sick of it.

I got my Bachelors in Biological Anthropology. 99.9% of biological anthropologists (ie...experts on the subject) as well as most if not all scientists who work in the broader field of life sciences agree that the term "race" is not even applicable for the physical differences we see in human beings.
If the religious right would back off and let the educational system teach evolution thoroughly in school, then this "race" crap would not be such an issue. Simply because it would be understood that the color of ones skin is so small a difference in our genetic makeup, that it would be deemed insignificant in "classification" of differences in Homo sapiens.

Im not just saying this to be PC, this is what I truly believe. I am 100% certain of the validity of evolution. It is not a so called "theory" to me, but more of a proof, such as E=mc2 or pythagoras theorem.
No matter what u believe, the fact is we are ALL related.

Also, people throw around the word ignorant all the time. I think they are ignorant of the definition of the word itself. It simply means to not know about the subject at hand. So when someone says something "racist", it does not automatically make them ignorant as well. They might know a great deal about the people or culture they are making the remark about. It just makes them an A**hole.

Ultimately, unless you all drop the term race from your vocabulary and realize that by evolutionary standards, we as Homo sapiens are all the same, you are all ignorant.

Now, lets talk vintage cards!!!!