NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Default First 2008 Recent Pickups thread

Posted By: Keith

Just wanted to share some of my recent pickups. Would love to see the treasures you guys have come across as well.

First, in an antique mall, I pickup this 1958 National League Champs Milwaulkee Braves pennant, with the names on the scroll to the left.

Next, in an estate auction I picked up these 2 great vintage football books. The first one is a 1st edition 1909 Walter Camp book entitled: Jack Hall at Yale, A football Story. The second one is written by U Penn famous football player and College HOFer T. Truxton Hare and is entitled Kent of Malvern.

Next picked up a couple vintage Football photos: The first is a early 1890's cabinet card of a Kenyon College Football player, and the second is a small unidentified team photograph with a dated trophy ball that is difficult to make out: either '85 or '88

Then I picked up a real photo postcard of the Philadelphia College Medico Chi football team of 1905. Medico Chi later merged with UPenn.

Lastly, I picked up this very small (difficult to photograph) pin or tie tack from Ohio State that reads Athletic Association '13-'14

Old 01-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

Great pieces. I am particularly impressed with the pennant. Here is a piece I picked up off ebay a couple days ago.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 01-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Good stuff guys...that's a sweet pin Mike. Never seen it before.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brock

Hi
This is nothing special, but i got this in the mail today. A wire photo of Joe Gordon from the 1939 world series.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Picked up an 1898 U of Nebraska yearbook. This is most likely the only way I will ever find images this early of the U of N teams.

Photobucket

Old 01-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Got this tonight for $15.00 shipped. It has been made into a pin cushion. No idea why I was attracted to it but I was...

Photobucket
Photobucket

Old 01-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Picked these little figural pieces up at an estate auction yesterday afternoon.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Old 01-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

An eBay pick-up. Thought it was cool. Calling SGC in the morning.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

I'm pretty sure they don't slab shirts!!!!

Seriously, though, I'd love to own that. Never seen one like it.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

Picked this one up from Memory Lane, and it just arrived. Amazing figural is at least 90 years old. Amazing detail, when viewed in person...

Old 01-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Mark, that is very impressive. You have to be pleased with that. Did you see the figurals of Lajoie, Jackson and Wood Lelands had a few years ago?

Clint

Old 01-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Thanks Clint... Yes I really love this one. According to Memory Lane, it is actually 100 years old (though I am not sure how they can factually make this claim).

I must have missed the LaJoie, Jackson and Wood Figurals from Lelands. Sure wish I saw them! If you have the images, could you possible post them? Would LOVE to see those...

I am really hoping that REA has some nice figurals in their April Event. They had an overwhelming array of great stuff in their 2005 and 2006 Catalogues, but not much last year. I was underbidder when they offered the Honus Wagner / Butler pair, and have regretted it ever since. Seems like some good pieces are due to surface before too long!

Old 01-10-2008, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

Fantastic figural Mark! Is it made of marble? With pieces like this, I always wonder who it was made for, by who, and what the occassion was.

What the heck is a Bingle anyway?

Old 01-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brock G.

That is super cool Mark. Congrats.

Mike, I believe bingle means a base hit. The word bingo is used often as a way to say base-hit and I was told came from the word bingle. At least thats what a coach of mine once told me. He would always say "Hey how bout' a little bingo" so I asked him where bingo came from and that what he told me.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

Here's a couple of scorecards that recently arrived ...

Old 01-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith

Sweet Figural Mark. Does anyone else feel that Honus has a Gargoyle like look to him?

I picked up this older Baseball scorer yesterday in an estate auction box lot. I was told by another collector that this dates to around 1910.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Administrator

marke here are the pictures.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Jon

Mine isn't a recent pickup, but reminded me of your pin cushion

Max

Old 01-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Wow.... thanks for all the interest in the Honus Wagner piece! Replies are in order, so I'll handle them all in one shot (while trying to be brief...)

Mike:
It is not marble... more of a chalk-like composition with a smooth coating of some sort. It is hard to describe, and is not as heavy as marble would be.

Brock:
You are exactly right about the term, Bingle. A bingle was an old fashioned term for a base hit, which evolved into "Bingo". Ironically, my high school coach always said "Come on - a little bingo" all the time, too. It was kind of a rallying cry.

Keith:
Yes, Honus looks a lot like a Gargoyle. His hands are huge and way out of proportion. Interesting, as I had actually once read that Honus Wagner had enormous hands.

Also... your Sen Sen Scorer is really nice. There is seemingly identical one in the current Hunt Internet Auction (Lot #880). Hunt lists it as being circa 1920s, but who really knows? I think it may well eminate from the teens, based on the ornate style of graphics. Hunt has quite a few nice/similar Scorers in their current Auction, if you collect these. See lots 878 - 885 (some very cool examples...)

Clint:
Thanks so much for posting the pics of those 3 statues. Can't believe I missed these. They are mouth-watering, indeed. These are the exact type that I am hoping will turn up in the REA April Auction. The Joe Jackson looks to have been painted at a later date. I believe these were originally made simply white or beige. Did Lelands' description state that the Jackson was re-painted? I bet somewhere along the line, someone wanted to portray him using the Black Betsy. Thanks again for posting!

Old 01-11-2008, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

Funny, my baseball coach in High School and my College Baseball Coach used to say that all the time. I always felt it was annoying and every time they would say it I would turn away and chuckle. Some of the stuff that comes out of coaches mouths in the heat of battle are pretty funny.

Rhys

Old 01-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Mark, the paint was described as original on the Jackson. These were offered in the July, 1999 auction and two of them were offered again in the next auction. You can look them up on Leland's site. The auction numbers are 157, 158, and 159.

Clint

Old 01-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Thanks Clint... Sure hope the winning bidder(s) will some day decide to re-sell! These are beauties. Appreciate all the great info!

Old 01-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Picked up an interesting lot of photos from a seller in NY who recently got these at the estate of a woman named Mary who lived to be 95 and never married, but she had a thing for boys in uniforms. I only bid on the baseball photos, but the ebay seller threw in a heavily perfumed letter from Mary that she must have used to give out to players or military men and another photo of "Baseball Mary"..all of these photos are dated on the back 1939 by the company that developed them. There were other photos that I did not win and I think these all were taken at Cooperstown? Or they may have been taken at Mary's hometown of Gloversville (Famous for PEACH Gloves!!!) Anyone know if the Yankees played an exhibition game in Cooperstown in 1939?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Joe D with Lefty Gomez
Photobucket

Here's one of the notorious Jake Powell signing an autograph. For those not knowing his story he became the first player to be suspended for saying something stupid. He used a racial epithet on the air of WGN radio in 1938. The reporter for WGN asked him what he did in the offseason and Powell said he was a cop and he liked to crack "******s" over the head with his nightstick. Ten years after making that remark he would be arrested for passing bad checks in Washington DC...while being interviewed at the police station Powell pulled out a gun and killed himself. In a strange twist of irony Powell who could barely play the outfield in NY without being harassed by fans was traded for Ben Chapman another racist who while manager of the Phillies in 1947 taunted Jackie Robinson.
Photobucket

Old 01-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Paradis

My friends daughter painted me this for my entry way into my basement family room (where I display HOF cards and memorabilia).

Dan

Old 01-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Old 01-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: CarltonHendricks

Lotta nice pick ups posted. Dan Paradis, Boy you're friend's daughter sure did a nice job, I guess that would be a mural?, looks great, very talented! Dan Bretta, those are very nice photos...I like snap shots, they're more personal. Speaking of personal I once saw a cache of small photos for sale at the 2005 National, of Dimaggio that were suppose to have been his own personal photos that came out of his estate. Bill Rosenthal had them for sale, you can read about them in the fifth paragraph of the link below to my 2005 National coverage.
http://sportsantiques.com/05natpg4.htm
But back to my recent pick up...I got a circa 1880's silver plated ladies baseball brooch,seen below, just got it in the mail the other day, picked it up on eBay. I usually like bigger things, but it was so 1880ish....don't know anthing about jewelry...but I'd guess this would be called costume jewelry, as it doesn't seem like fine jewelry. The bat is 2 1/2" long with a stick pin on the back. The ball is about 1 1/2" wide, and has a door so you could put something inside the ball. It hangs down 4 5/8". The two rings on the bat, and the general feel of it speak to it being from the 1880's. I can not find any makers mark. I'd be very interested to know if anyone has seen this before, or can supply any info on it. It doesn't photograph real well, as some 3 dimensional objects are prone to.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Great item Carlton and I agree that it's 1880-90s. As far as Joe D's photos go I do have some photos that originated from his estate - there were a bunch of them in Hunt's auctions over the last two years.

With his bros
Joe DiMaggio and his brothers -this photo belonged to Joe -acquired in Hunt's auction Oct 2006

With Elanor Gehrig and Claire Ruth
Joe DiMaggio, Elanor Gehrig and Claire Ruth

Doing some Golfing in I believe the Bob Hope Classic...there are a bunch of photos of celebrities in this lot.
Joe DiMaggio

Old 01-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: CarltonHendricks

Great photos Dan, especially the one with Elanor Gehrig and Claire Ruth. Below a shot I took at the 2005 National in Bill Rosenthal's booth. The one I probably should have bought was where he's holding his son and you can see his ripped biceps. I saw that later in an ad in SCD, so I think that dealer got it, whoever it was...been a while. You can also see it in a larger scale/closer in on the page link in my prior post.