NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Default Detroit autographs?

Posted By: Dave F

I thought this was interesting and put a bid in (a shot in the dark really), I know nothing about autographs or baseball books...just thought it was kind of neat. Was curious if any of the experts would even wager on this being real? value?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300187832406

Old 01-12-2008, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Looks real to me. Can't say for sure on value, but that is a pretty collectible book signed by two Hall of Famers and a prominent baseball author so I would guess it went for a decent price.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Atkatz

Someone got a pretty good deal. They're real, and Heilmann is not that common.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

This the third time this has been offered for sale, and correct, great piece and a fine deal.

DJ

Old 01-12-2008, 11:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Lieb and Gehringer's signatures are relatively common on this book. I have seen two or three Heilmann signed copies over the years, and it is tougher. Beautiful signatures and a beautiful book.

Max

Old 01-13-2008, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

It's perfect. These usually sell for $350-450 (usually on the lower end of that estimate, especially on eBay).

There are a sizeable handfull of these floating around. I forget the name of the bookstore, but there was a signing held in Detroit upon the book's release. Strangely, it seems as though no signings were done for any of the other books detailing an individual team's history. There were a few in the series, although I think I have only read the one about the Cardinals.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:29 AM
Administrator

I have seen quite a few signed Cardinals, Phillies and Senators Putnams for some reason. Lieb was a prolific signer of his books it seemed. For some reason, I haven't been able to locate a signed Pirates title. Titles by other authors in the series (Kaese, Graham, Allen, Brown)are also relatively easy to find signed.

I actually prefer author signed titles than those signed by players (which is know is contrary to the marketplace). Association titles are more interesting. I have a couple putnams inscribed by Lieb to sportswriter Tom Meany.

Max

Old 01-13-2008, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Strange that I have missed seeing the other volumes signed. I helped authenticate one noted collector's VERY impressive signed book collection for Mastro a couple of years ago, and don't recall seeing any contained within that collection. There were some incredible signed volumes in there--a nice Albert Spalding, a couple of Jim Thorpes, etc. My favorite, though, was a GORGEOUS Johnny Evers book with nice inscription.

ED.--punctuation

Old 01-13-2008, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Speaking of Lieb, his always struck me as being a very humble, self-effacing man. It would have been something else to spend a couple of hours chatting with him--by the sounds of it, he was always very hospitable to fans. It always seemed to me that Lieb considered himself more of a fan than a writer (albeit quite a glorified one!).

Old 01-13-2008, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Evers' books

(this is a restored facsimile of the dj, sold by www.facsimiledustjackets.com)

Max

Old 01-13-2008, 09:03 AM
Administrator

The book I was was sans DJ. I believe the HC was blue with gold leaf hi-lights.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:14 AM
Administrator

The dj's of the Evers books replicate the front covers. Touching second has a green pastedown.

I haven't seen a blue Evers book. Are you perhaps recollecting the Spalding book?

Max

Old 01-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Yeah, you're right!!! Guess I'm getting all confused--call the convalescent home!

Old 01-13-2008, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Jodi

I've started to scan images of my books --about 100 down, many more to go.

It's on my flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/baseballart/sets/72057594052372441/

As for forgetting what a book looks like, I sometimes find that I buy a book that I have forgotten I already have a copy of. Don't know which is worse as I approach my half centenary next year.

Max

Old 01-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Vincent

It was my understanding that the three gentlemen signed The Detroit Tigers Putnam series book at a promotional event at a Detroit Hudson's store.

I believe the dealer who provided me with this bit of information actually had a newpaper advertisement regarding that specific event.

Neat item. I'm fortunate to have a couple copies, signed by all three, in my collection. There are also copies signed by both Leib and Gehringer, and just Leib floating about too.

The appeal to me was that it provided for a less expensive means for acquiring a nice Harry Heilmann autograph.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Administrator

You're right! It was Hudson's! I was trying to think of which department store, but my memory was foggy on this one.