NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-21-2022, 05:53 AM
Rob

Great finds, Carlton! Mike Wolfe of American Pickers is a big vintage American motorcycle guy and I’ve seen him geek out and pay pretty decent money for similar jerseys.

I grew up not too far from Newark, OH (it’s about 40 miles east of Columbus). Back in the day, we made fun of Newark and called it “Nerk” (like the hick locals did). These days, like many former farm towns in Ohio, I think it’s gone a bit upscale.
Old 06-22-2022, 02:31 AM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Great finds, Carlton! Mike Wolfe of American Pickers is a big vintage American motorcycle guy and I’ve seen him geek out and pay pretty decent money for similar jerseys.

I grew up not too far from Newark, OH (it’s about 40 miles east of Columbus). Back in the day, we made fun of Newark and called it “Nerk” (like the hick locals did). These days, like many former farm towns in Ohio, I think it’s gone a bit upscale.
Hey thanks Rob for the post and logistical run down...

Below is a 1956 NY motorcycle plate I stumbled on today in an antiques store... goes good with the 1956 Calif plate I got last November...collecting motorcycle plates seems to be pretty popular...I believe there are serious collectors out there that go after them like baseball cards...I'm more relaxed about it...they're nice to add to my other motorcycle stuff when I run into them...I think the serious collectors are into condition...I'm not...I prefer them worn...especially since I think they're knocking out re-pops...

Old 06-22-2022, 07:43 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

As always great stuff.

ALways interesting to learn new things and I never would have thought vintage motorcycle plates are collectible and in high demand

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 06-22-2022, 02:06 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
As always great stuff.

ALways interesting to learn new things and I never would have thought vintage motorcycle plates are collectible and in high demand
https://www.facebook.com/groups/109879872888658
Thanks Jeffery...yeah there's even a facebook group "Motorcycle License Plate Collectors of the world" I joined...one member recently posted a 1911 Ohio plate that was really something...here's my other two plates...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 06-22-2022 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-22-2022, 10:33 PM

Carlton - When the hell you coming out to the Chantilly show ? beer chug.gif
Old 06-23-2022, 08:34 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post
https://www.facebook.com/groups/109879872888658
Thanks Jeffery...yeah there's even a facebook group "Motorcycle License Plate Collectors of the world" I joined...one member recently posted a 1911 Ohio plate that was really something...here's my other two plates...

great plates and cool looking. I am just amazed and I mistakenly would only have thought that people would want the plates as they restore vintage motorcycles

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 06-25-2022, 03:57 PM

Default goggles

Here’s a cool tin I picked up today…It's a little worn but the illustration of the goggles is remarkable and in nice shape...and I like the green color…never seen anything like it…and it’s American made in Chicago…early motorcycle racers wore them and aviators…I found a military site that had close in photos of the goggles I’m including…

Old 06-26-2022, 07:59 AM
Rob

Another great display piece! Now, you gotta find the goggles.
Old 06-28-2022, 02:24 AM

Default 1878 Rowing Related Theater Program

Just picked this up...I don't buy a lot of programs...it’s not even a big name crew...but the graphics had me...the crossed oars with whaling spear between...imposed with flags, a rudder and wreath...the NBC monogram at top...and the array of classic 19th century typefaces...Lastly the four man crew vignette at the bottom...

The play titled: “Shylock…or Much Ado About a Merchant of Venice”…was a musical burlesque take off of Shakespeare’s play "The Merchant of Venice"...which was a popular comedy in the 19th century…It’s important to remember the theater was huge then…The Nereid Boat Club that put it on...who I believe was in Brooklyn...would have been one of a plethora of boat clubs in 19th century New York City vicinity…It was common then for sports teams to put on plays and shows to raise money for their club…I've seen similar theater and musical programs for the benefit of college sports teams...

http://nereidbc.org/history/
There is a Nereid Boat Club today in Rutherford NJ…their history on their website says the club started in Nutley NJ in 1868…no mention of Brooklyn NY twenty miles away… where the Nereid Boat Club of this program seems to be associated…So it’s puzzling how there could have been two Nereid Boat Clubs…

Anyway...as a side note…from what I read up…the character Shylock in the “The Merchant of Venice”…which the play satirizes was often played by Edwin Booth…who was the brother of John Wilkes Booth who shot president Lincoln in 1865…

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 06-29-2022 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-04-2022, 12:28 PM

Warning Non-Sport Pickup

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 07-04-2022 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-12-2022, 12:39 AM

Default July Sacramento Antiques Fair

Here's my haul from yesterday at the Sacramento Antiques Fair...the wrestling trophy was the main find...1940 is pretty late for my collection...but it was only the second figural wrestling trophy I've ever seen if I recall...besides the other one I have...which is a c1930 drop dead bronze by a big name sculptor...beyond rare...awarded to a Williams College graduate...story for another time...The Vitalis is for a friend and the map I'll probably put on ebay...can't find another example...it was a mail in premium...The wrestling trophy was awarded to the Fry Institute team of Chattanooga...An interesting organization...not a school...but sort of a YMCA type endeavor...no longer around...I found some photos on line of their weightlifters club...I made fast work of the fair, gone by 7:45 to a motorcycle swap meet on the other side of town....zeroed out though...
https://stories.chattanoogamemory.com/stories/587

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 07-12-2022 at 02:25 AM.
Old 07-21-2022, 01:47 AM

Default Trophy Research Jackpot

Many people would look at this trophy cup won by the Betty II and dismiss it as a nice little trophy…but what’s the big deal…However it’s important to understand 1909 is quite early for powerboat racing…I’ve read it stated about 1911 is when the Hydroplane dynamic came on the scene…That is…boaters began to understand boats could go a lot faster when engines got powerful enough to lift the bow so the boat went over the water not thru it…I would speculate the Betty II may have been on the cusp of the introduction of the hydroplane…But it wasn’t just the Delaware River Club still trying to figure it out…the whole world was going thru that learning curve in 1909…

But back to the trophy…I was very happy to find it…..it’s the earliest powerboat race trophy I own…I went to research it and got a real surprise when I noticed the adjoining article that I had never seen before was about the Ilys…which I have a bronze statue of…So it was a double whammy research payoff…The Ilys bronze is another never seen…It’s the only bronze statue of a yacht I’ve ever seen from that early…and American to boot…There is a whole whole lot about the Ilys I don’t have time to go into…it’s been a while since I did the research but I remember I did talk on the phone to a retired attorney who was part of the Whitaker family…He told me his family had at one time owned the Athletics Baseball Club…and if I recall the Whitaker family owned the largest fabric mill in Philadelphia back in the day…don’t quote me but it was something like that…

Old 07-21-2022, 05:01 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

great stuff still waiting on the reality show

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 07-21-2022, 05:15 AM
Rob

^^^^^ the boat names in the first column sound like what I hear when I take our dogs to agility trials.

I’d like a coffee table book to go with the reality show.
Old 07-25-2022, 03:24 PM

Default c1938 Multi Sport Tin

Picked this up this afternoon trolling ebay...got 1938 written all over it...one of the nicer multi sport tins I've seen...great blue...nice graphics...Now the question....can I squeeze one more little 2 3/4" x 2" tin in the line up...see last photo...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 07-25-2022 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-26-2022, 01:51 PM
Rob

Quote:

Picked this up this afternoon trolling ebay...got 1938 written all over it...one of the nicer multi sport tins I've seen...great blue...nice graphics...Now the question....can I squeeze one more little 2 3/4" x 2" tin in the line up...see last photo...
I'm sure you'll make it work, Carlton!
Old 07-30-2022, 03:52 AM

Default Got'r in

SQUEEZED IT IN...IT'S ABOUT THE BEST I COULD DO!...

Old 07-30-2022, 09:44 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Just get a bigger cabinet. Problem solved.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-31-2022, 09:52 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Love it! And the display.
Old 07-31-2022, 05:41 PM

Carlton, nice display !!! When the hell are you coming to the Chantilly show ? beer chug.gif
Old 07-31-2022, 06:48 PM

Default more on tins

https://www.sportsantiques.com/tins.htm
See that "Pop Smith" tin at top left...if you want to read about an interesting tin see the feature I did in the link above...scroll towards bottom...

Thanks Hank...and Jewish Collector...Adam thanks...easier said than done, time and space...I have a lot of other tins to go in a new case...one of these days when I get time...

A few months ago I won a number of Euro sports tins off ebay...see below...I watched them close one at a time as I was walking around the Sacramento Antiques Fair...lost some won some...one l lost that I wish I got was the last red multi-sport one...

Old 08-04-2022, 01:12 PM

Default Die-Cut Boat Sign

Any original vintage die-cut boat advertising sign would be rare so I was v happy to find this one...Been a while since I researched it but as I recall this Chris-Craft knock off company didn't last but a few years...incredible condition...

Prices of boat signs have become remarkable...This Chris-Craft one below would be at the top of the heap...I spotted it in a video of a car collection...managed to take a freeze frame of it and blew it up to get a better look...about fell over....never seen anything like it...I messaged the poster to ask about it....if it was for sale or what ever...said it was sold...I came back with tell me more...said he bought it at the Turlock Calif auto swap meet...and it was so wiped out couldn't read it...said he had it outside on the side of his house and a friend came over and was looking at it and goes ...do you know this says Chris-Craft...eyeballed it harder and sure enough...got it restored....sold it for $45,000.00...

Story goes on...the next Turlock I see this pickup truck not unloaded...full of signs...so I'm talking to the guy and told him about this sign...guy says yeah I'm the one that sold it...I said where'd it come from...said he got it in Sacramento and it was out in a field near a marina of the Sacramento river...if I recall he said he tried to buy it for a while and was finally able get it...

Old 08-09-2022, 02:42 AM

Default 1911 Motorcycle Pano

Went to the monthly Alameda Point Antiques Fair yesterday...got in at 6am and headed straight for a dealer who I never know what he'll have...and blam....saw this 1911 panoramic photo of the Los Angeles Motorcycle Club lined up at Venice Beach California...I already have a remarkably similar panoramic of motorcycles at Venice by the same photographer West Coast Art Co...Los Angeles has always been the place to be for motorcycle riding...great weather all year...

...so may use this as a trade or sell it...the price tag stated the buildings or building in the background burned down shortly after the photo was taken...that's gonna take some research to confirm...Really needs a black frame...

Then I spotted this c1900 ball style barbell...very rarely do you find them...I got a big one at Alameda in 2016...This is a rare 23"

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 08-09-2022 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-09-2022, 03:27 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Let's see the barbell, Carlton!!
Old 08-09-2022, 03:44 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Let's see the barbell, Carlton!!
I thought it was a baby teething rattle.

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 08-09-2022, 10:52 PM

Great buy Carlton, you old geezer you beer chug.gif
Old 08-10-2022, 05:14 AM
Rob

And you thought finding room for your sport-grip was gonna be tough…
Old 08-10-2022, 10:28 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Yup… good luck hanging that from the ceiling!

Awesome barbell…. Just like you used to see depicted in cartoons of the 60s. And it was always held by a completely bald strongman with a black handlebar mustache. Nice find!
Old 08-13-2022, 02:23 AM

Default Marathon Coffee Tin

This came today...never seen another...more useless information...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 08-13-2022 at 02:28 AM.
Old 08-28-2022, 12:03 AM

Default Stained Glass

Here's my latest greatest...Now this would be a perfect example of you just don't know what's out there...never would I have imagined such a piece...it's my first stained glass in 35 years collecting..I'm waiting to discuss cleaning it with a stained glass expert...very tempting to start in as it was sitting in a basement 35 years or so..came out of Detroit...I bought the 1987 book "Discovering Stained Glass in Detroit"...to see if I can ID who made it...it's on the way...

The three biggest names in early powerboats in the United States were Chris-Craft…Hacker Craft…Dodge…and Gar Wood…all from the Great Lakes/Detroit region…There were some very formidable Canadian boat makers on the other side the lake as well… Ditchburn…Greavette…and Minett to name a few…not that I know much about them…Horace Dodge Jr was the son of Horace Dodge Sr. who with his brother John started Dodge Brothers Automobiles…Jr. was a party animal with a life that reflected it…Jr.’s Dodge Boat company was killed off by the depression in 1936…his father was one of the biggest yachtsmen of the day…had a whole string of huge ones….

At this point we can only speculate the who what why this stained glass panel was produced…Horace Jr. could have had it made but seems like someone of his means would have ordered something bigger…Perhaps it was a gift someone had made for him…and it hung in his den…The art quality of the boat and faces are so well defined I would almost bet it was done by a professional artist…As well the details of the boat are too exact…I see two air intake cowls above the engine compartment area…I clearly see two tie down cleats…a cooling water discharge port of some sort…what looks like a bow light at the front…between the tie down cleats is some kind of object I can’t make out…almost look like a fishing rod holder…but seemingly in the wrong place…The shadowing of the coats the two men are wearing is so well done I would speculate it would take a professional artist to execute…If it was given as a gift…it would likely have been from some wealthy playmate who would have likely had it made at the top stained glass shop in Detroit…which appears to have been the Detroit Stained Glass Works on West Fort Street…Once that book Discovering Stained Glass in Detroit by Nola Huse Tutag arrives perhaps will help I.D. the artist…

The best Dodge Boats history site in the world is http://www.thatoldboat.com/Dodge-Boa...-Factories-Det ...there are tons of photos of the boats and factory from back in the day. The operator/owner Steve Martini has done a great job of preserving the history of the company...along with first hand accounts of pioneer research trips on foot to locate the buildings...don't miss it...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 08-29-2022 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-29-2022, 08:53 AM

Great find Carlton...Your ability to continuously dig out lost treasures amazes me. I think that the real treasure in a lot of your finds is the research you do. It sure turns up a lot of interesting information and reading and mostly lost to history.
Old 08-31-2022, 01:35 PM

Default more stained glass

Hey thanks Bill...yeah I like looking into stuff...It's kind of useless information...but not really as this stuff takes you a lot of places you'd have never seen...Like I've always said it's not just about getting stuff but the people you meet and places you see...This stained glass piece is all very new to me and I'm still learning about it...over the years I've seen a smattering of sports related stained glass...I recall a large polo player and I think a golfer...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 09-01-2022 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-01-2022, 01:11 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I love all this stuff but I might boycott this thread until we get our reality show that we deserve for this collection and the behind the scenes of collecting it all

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 09-01-2022, 09:13 PM

Default yeah..

Great Jeff where do I sign...you can be my agent...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 09-02-2022 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-02-2022, 04:21 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Great Jeff where do I sign...you can be my agent...
Obviously just playing but you have great stuff and seem to have some interesting adventures to find this stuff just think it would make a great reality show

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 09-02-2022, 09:23 PM
Rob

I kind of stand by my drunken post but it was unnecessary.

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 09-05-2022 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-19-2022, 08:21 PM

Default Cricket Sign

This was a heck of a find last Saturday...you can read the shocking truth about it on my site...along with a bunch of other recent pickups
-carlton
www.SportsAntiques.com

Old 09-20-2022, 01:09 PM
Rob

^^^^^ That's creepy!
Old 09-20-2022, 03:24 PM
Clint

Damn that’s cool Carlton!
Old 09-20-2022, 06:02 PM

Default thx

Hey thanks clint..its one of the most incredible advertising signs I've ever seen...v progressive for a late 19th-early 20th century advertising sign...

Old 09-20-2022, 08:00 PM
Jim H

I always enjoy reading your quests on how you obtain your purchases. Did the antique store know they had an original cricket advertisement piece?
Old 09-23-2022, 12:48 AM

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtigers65 View Post
I always enjoy reading your quests on how you obtain your purchases. Did the antique store know they had an original cricket advertisement piece?
Thanks Jim...glad you like my collecting stories…That’s a good question…I didn’t bring up the subject…so I can’t say for sure…but based on the sticker price they probably assumed it was original…but probably didn’t know it was c1900…the funky 1980’s metal frame was dirty inside the glass and on the back….so it didn’t seem like they gave it much esteem...I tossed the frame already but here’s a shot I took in the antiques store…

FYI...I posted an addenda on my website tonight to my Cricket Sign feature...I copied and pasted an email I got from renown advertising tine dealer Nigel Scott in England who shed some new light on the subject...see it at the bottom of the feature...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 09-23-2022 at 02:07 AM.
Old 09-26-2022, 07:13 AM

Hey Carlton...I just got back from a lengthy trip and catching up with your posts. Like you I am not a Cricket collector, but that tin advertising sign is a stone-cold killer. The addenda to the article on your website is amazing.
Old 10-01-2022, 07:12 PM

Default Latest Feature et al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rayburn View Post
Hey Carlton...I just got back from a lengthy trip and catching up with your posts. Like you I am not a Cricket collector, but that tin advertising sign is a stone-cold killer. The addenda to the article on your website is amazing.
Hey Bill...thanks...glad you appreciate the cricket sign...I'm working on a heck of a feature for my site and just taking a break on my Saturday afternoon...I'm slowly figuring how to speed things up for posting on my site...For the shorter simpler posts I'll be using "Carlton World Latest Greatest"...then for the more detailed lengthier features I'll still use my "Sports Antique of the Week" format...this one I'm working on now will be a lengthier one so a SAW feature (Sports Antique of the Week)...and I'll still post photos of my latest pick-ups here...

Keep us posted of your latest greatest...after you wade thru the velvet Elvis' and tube socks you said you encounter... : - )...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 10-01-2022 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-18-2022, 11:15 PM

Default Latest Feature

Please know I have posted my latest “Sports Antique of the Week” on my homepage of SportsAntiques.com…it’s titled “ World’s Most Boring Looking Postcard”…

The feature is about James Stuart Blackton…a c1912 pioneer powerboat racer…He was one of the first of the sport right at the transition period from dispersion type boats to the hydroplane…

https://www.sportsantiques.com/
The feature can be seen at the website above
Enjoy
-carlton

Old 11-30-2022, 08:44 PM

Default New Feature

https://www.sportsantiques.com/earl_...FkI2ew0B3kf3jM
Please know I have posted my latest Sports Antique of the Week feature on my site...click on the link above to read it. The story is about a c1912 photo of a motorcycle racer on his bike. I have probably twenty hours of research and page design into it...enjoy...
-carlton

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 11-30-2022 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-01-2022, 05:48 AM

Badass motorcycle photo, Carlton. Great image!
Old 12-01-2022, 06:20 AM
Rob

Love it! What’s it say on the tank?
Old 12-01-2022, 08:40 PM

Default Thanks...

Hey Thanks Scott...good to hear...

Rob...It says "Like a Flash"...it's in the story...actually there is much about that slogan in the story...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 12-01-2022 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-02-2022, 07:22 AM
Tim Odeen

Very cool. it reminds me of a family picture I have of my gr-gr-grandparents. I only have a copy, so it is not as clear as the original.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo