NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 12-07-2022, 12:45 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
That is just not true. If you're eating something like fast food regularly because it's either cheap enough for you to feed your entire family, or you just don't have any energy left to cook otherwise after your day, you're consuming empty calories. Empty calories come from food with no nutritional value, like fast food, again, for example. You can limit your portions all you want but you will still gain weight disproportionally and your health will suffer just the same. It's because a lot of the food we eat in this country is low quality food.
Empty calories are worse, in many ways, but yes. If you run a caloric deficit you lose weight. That is an actual fact. A lot of the food is low quality food, which I would strongly advise people not to eat. But they do. They prefer it, as we see every day. If they eat LESS of it they will either lose weight or slow their expanding weight gain by running a caloric deficit or overeating less. They should eat none of it if they want to live a long and healthy life. Obviously.
Old 12-07-2022, 12:56 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
That is just not true. If you're eating something like fast food regularly because it's either cheap enough for you to feed your entire family, or you just don't have any energy left to cook otherwise after your day, you're consuming empty calories. Empty calories come from food with no nutritional value, like fast food, again, for example. You can limit your portions all you want but you will still gain weight disproportionally and your health will suffer just the same. It's because a lot of the food we eat in this country is low quality food.
Another important factor is the dearth of available "healthy" food options in many of the poorest (often urban) areas of the country. It's easy for those who have never struggled with poverty to say things like "just eat healthier, stupid" - I'd wager that many of those claiming this position have never even been to a "food desert" much less lived in one.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 12-07-2022, 12:58 PM
Jeremy

I would argue that it's much harder to eat less of the unhealthy food as it's made to be addictive. I haven't had fast food in years and the thought of it still sounds good because it's made to chemically program me to think that way. I won't act on it now because of the diet and lifestyle I've chosen, but it's much harder to eat less of foods like fast food and anything with a lot of sugar.

Addiction to food is very close to drug addiction as it fires off the same receptors in the brain, and the unfortunate part is that you need food, so there is no escaping it. You have to reprogram your brain if you are eating unhealthy and that is a gargantuan task, trust me, I've done it and it took years.
Old 12-07-2022, 12:59 PM

The other thing about eating poorly is that if you're subsisting on empty calorie foods, you're never full and that's the problem. It's easy to say "eat less and you won't gain weight" but it's a lot harder to tell that to someone who's hungry. You can eat a lot of fast food and then be pretty hungry soon after. That's because everything you just ate was turned into sugar and then fat, and never anything useful in between.

It is not easy to eat healthy in this country and unless a person has full control over their finances, they don't have full control over their nutrition either. They have to make choices like everybody else. And it's usually easier to make a bad choice than a good one.

However, people's lives would change if the poison in their food wasn't permitted to be there. There can be fast food but why does it have to be made out of pink slime? Why was your chicken cleaned with chlorine? Why was your ground beef treated with ammonia? Ractopamine leaves a lot of pigs unable to stand up anymore. How can that animal be good for you to eat?

Last edited by packs; 12-07-2022 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-07-2022, 01:41 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

It's a choice to smoke cigarettes, it's a choice to eat fast food, it's a choice to do bad things to yourself for the short term pleasure of it. It is not a choice any one makes anyone else do. It is a choice one is free to make.

If one lacks self control or discipline, then they will probably eat poorly and suffer the obesity and shortened life as a result. Again, you can eat perfectly fine for the same or less money than fast food. It is not difficult to find healthy food in any sizable city in the nation. I was poor and broke living in the hood during college. I managed to eat just fine after I had the wake up call that it might not be wise to stuff garbage into my stomach every day. It's a matter of basic discipline and self-control. Eat healthier to be healthier, eat less to lose weight. Obesity is rampant in the middle and upper classes too. It's not a money problem (many other things negative to health are), obesity is a self-control problem. I want McNuggets too, they're fantastic. But I don't go get them. That is not because I'm not poor anymore, it's because I exercise basic restraint. My grocery store sells the big huge tub of Spinach for the same $5 that the 20 piece McNugget costs. I am confident other people are perfectly capable of this very basic discipline as well. It is not a special quality. I think a poor person is just as capable as possessing discipline or any other virtue as a middle class or upper class person.
Old 12-07-2022, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
It's a choice to smoke cigarettes, it's a choice to eat fast food, it's a choice to do bad things to yourself for the short term pleasure of it. It is not a choice any one makes anyone else do. It is a choice one is free to make.

If one lacks self control or discipline, then they will probably eat poorly and suffer the obesity and shortened life as a result. Again, you can eat perfectly fine for the same or less money than fast food. It is not difficult to find healthy food in any sizable city in the nation. I was poor and broke living in the hood during college. I managed to eat just fine after I had the wake up call that it might not be wise to stuff garbage into my stomach every day. It's a matter of basic discipline and self-control. Eat healthier to be healthier, eat less to lose weight. Obesity is rampant in the middle and upper classes too. It's not a money problem (many other things negative to health are), obesity is a self-control problem. I want McNuggets too, they're fantastic. But I don't go get them. That is not because I'm not poor anymore, it's because I exercise basic restraint. My grocery store sells the big huge tub of Spinach for the same $5 that the 20 piece McNugget costs. I am confident other people are perfectly capable of this very basic discipline as well. It is not a special quality. I think a poor person is just as capable as possessing discipline or any other virtue as a middle class or upper class person.

You talk about a tub of spinach but you can't feed your family of 4 on spinach. You can feed them on McNuggets. You might be skipping over other expenses that exist in favor of a meal choice, which you seem to weigh (pun intended) equally to things like child care and medical bills, common issues people face that drain their resources. I don't think there should be an assumption that people do this to themselves, but rather an understanding that they're trying their best in a world that's stacked against them.

Last edited by packs; 12-07-2022 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-07-2022, 01:55 PM
Jeremy

Quote:

For the most part I agree here. I've been in multiple financial/societal situations in my life and I've always had the option. I also know that there are more severe food deserts than the one I have lived in most of my life.

Very interesting link and food desert map: https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-produc...-to-the-atlas/

For me, it was my health that made the decision for me to change my eating habits. I still struggle with weight, but that's a portion problem that I am slowly gaining control of over time. Changing what I ate was INFINITELY more difficult than changing the portion sizes.

In my case I had severe joint problems (to the point of almost being prescribed meds for rheumatoid arthritis), then as a last ditch effort removed gluten from my diet and voila! Within a week I felt what it was like to be human again. Then I eliminated dairy after developing a lactose intolerance, and again, quality of life leveled up. Then I removed all meat products, this was mostly an ethical decision, but not a difficult sacrifice as I've never cared for meat at any point in my life, and once again, quality of life went up.

Now, shopping at the grocery store is WAY easier, and I cook a ton, which I concede does take a not insignificant amount of time, but I no longer want to go to a restaurant of any kind because my food is better (or at least I like it more).

I guess what I'm trying to say is, changing how/what you eat takes a lot of time, effort, and as G1911 said, self discipline, but I would argue that the majority of people have the healthy options within a reasonable distance, and well within their current budget (if they take the time they will likely also lower their food bill).
Old 12-07-2022, 02:09 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
You talk about a tub of spinach but you can't feed your family of 4 on spinach. You can feed them on McNuggets. You might be skipping over other expenses that exist in favor of a meal choice, which you seem to weigh (pun intended) equally to things like child care and medical bills, common issues people face that drain their resources. I don't think there should be an assumption that people do this to themselves, but rather an understanding that they're trying their best in a world that's stacked against them.
Consideration for those less fortunate is way, way out of the picture for some. It's unfortunate, but says a lot about the state of things in this country.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 12-07-2022, 02:31 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
When did I say you should skip medical bills or child care for food? What I actually said is that you can eat fine for the same cost as eating trash every day. You’re just making things up now lol.

Guess what, 20 McNuggets can’t feed a family of four either. It’s not a meal plan for four, obviously one will need more food for more people. It’s a very specific example that you can buy healthy food for the same price as unhealthy food.

It’s not an assumption that people do this to themselves. It’s a fact. Nobody is being force fed. There are cheap healthy options. It’s a choice. I’m sorry this doesn’t fit a victim narrative, but nobody is force feeding you McDonald’s. People choose to go there or to go somewhere else. Even at McDonalds you can order the salad, which is also cheap. Hell, free charitable soup kitchens serve healthier food for free! There is not a city in America where you cannot acquire readily fruits and vegetables. Not a single one.

Yet again, we have an obesity problem at every step of the income ladder.
Old 12-07-2022, 02:39 PM
D@le Irv*n

Imagine....worried about a trial of a 1,000 people when we got billions who are now in a long term trial.
https://www.tiktok.com/@poison_tip_2...26163315297578

Last edited by irv; 12-09-2022 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-07-2022, 02:45 PM

Quote:
When did I say you should skip medical bills or child care for food? What I actually said is that you can eat fine for the same cost as eating trash every day. You’re just making things up now lol.

Guess what, 20 McNuggets can’t feed a family of four either. It’s not a meal plan for four, obviously one will need more food for more people. It’s a very specific example that you can buy healthy food for the same price as unhealthy food.

It’s not an assumption that people do this to themselves. It’s a fact. Nobody is being force fed. There are cheap healthy options. It’s a choice. I’m sorry this doesn’t fit a victim narrative, but nobody is force feeding you McDonald’s. People choose to go there or to go somewhere else. Even at McDonalds you can order the salad, which is also cheap. Hell, free charitable soup kitchens serve healthier food for free! There is not a city in America where you cannot acquire readily fruits and vegetables. Not a single one.

Yet again, we have an obesity problem at every step of the income ladder.

This is just not true. If you're a child at home your options begin and end with what's brought home for you to eat. That's not force feeding but it's not freedom of choice either.

It is also well documented that "fast food salads" are just as unhealthy as anything else on the menu.

You have not really allowed any room for anyone to be eating bad food for any other reason than because they choose to. I brought up expenses people face because I guess I think these things factor into food budgets as well.
Old 12-07-2022, 02:54 PM
Jeremy

Quote:
This is just not true. If you're a child at home your options begin and end with what's brought home for you to eat. That's not force feeding but it's not freedom of choice either.

It is also well documented that "fast food salads" are just as unhealthy as anything else on the menu.

You have not really allowed any room for anyone to be eating bad food for any other reason than because they choose to. I brought up expenses people face because I guess I think these things factor into food budgets as well.
Time is the biggest culprit in most cases. After job 1, job 2, kids, events, spouse, etc, there is no time to cook and getting something quick is just easier, and it leads to poor choices, which leads to a chemical addiction. This is an oversimplified explanation, but I think it has a lot to do with it.
Old 12-07-2022, 02:59 PM

I'm not an anti fast food person. I would prefer people didn't eat it or ate it less but that's not really the problem in my opinion. The problem lies in what happens to the food before it becomes fast food.

Let everyone eat fast food. It's cheap. It's good. But why does it have to be made with pink slime? Why is the chicken treated with chlorine? Why is the beef treated with ammonia?

Can't we eliminate these things from our food chain?
Old 12-07-2022, 03:57 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad_Hazard View Post
Time is the biggest culprit in most cases. After job 1, job 2, kids, events, spouse, etc, there is no time to cook and getting something quick is just easier, and it leads to poor choices, which leads to a chemical addiction. This is an oversimplified explanation, but I think it has a lot to do with it.

Yes, youd actually have to think like a day ahead what's on the menu tomorrow. I'm sorry, but poor life decisions and choices are not anyone's fault but themselves...agyer the age of 20 years old. You can only blame your childhood for so long

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 12-07-2022, 03:58 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:

It's not me that doesn't allow room for people "to be eating bad food for any other reason than because they choose to", it's reality that does it. We are not talking about babies here and you know it. You and everyone else are very well aware that adults choose what they eat. You are all very well aware that there is not a single city in the US that does not have healthy fruits and vegetables and other options available, and that these things cost no more than your Mickeys. You are well aware that a poor or rich person can exercise some basic self-control over their desires; they are not some different species. This is comically absurd lol.
Old 12-07-2022, 07:01 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
i dont get the 'dont have energy left to cook' everyone can talk about food recipes, food is probably the one thing EVERYONE has some knowledge about to discuss with to get ideas...there are PLENTY of poor uneducated people in other countries that eat very healthy and their standard of living is 1/4th of our 'poor' ... If have enough energy to order drive through you have enough energy to open a can of tuna or put some pasta in a bowl and microwave the water, or make eggs and eat the egg white, or turkey deli on bread is really really exhausting.. Most Veggies can be eaten raw or put in microwave for a bit...... why do other countries much poorer than our poor who have even less access to info and stores eat more healthy

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 12-07-2022 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-07-2022, 11:36 PM

Quote:
There's some sarcastic context from earlier, when it was insisted that America's obese are too poor to even afford fast food and that that is not the problem.
If you are referring to my earlier post, in response to an even earlier one (maybe from you) where I suggested that it was not reasonable to assume that a poor family can consistently eat every meal at McDonalds to feed a family of 3-4, it is quite unreasonable to assume that. Just do the math. Some of the obese ARE too poor to afford fast food from McDonalds except maybe occasionally. Some people of average or below-average weight ARE too poor to afford fast food from McDonalds except maybe occasionally. As an extreme example, consider the "deep poverty” household that is defined by an income that falls below 50% of the poverty guidelines ($13,123 for a family of 4). After paying for other necessities such as shelter and clothing, if they could do so at all, how in the world would one expect them to be able to go to McDonalds on a regular basis? Now work backward and do the calculations for those at the poverty level. Again, you can do the math if you like, assuming a reasonable budget for other necessities and then you can determine how many times per week that a family of 4 can get fast food, even if purchasing from a dollar menu.

Last edited by jethrod3; 12-07-2022 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-07-2022, 11:49 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrod3 View Post
If you are referring to my earlier post, in response to an even earlier one (maybe from you) where I suggested that it was not reasonable to assume that a poor family can consistently eat every meal at McDonalds to feed a family of 3-4, it is quite unreasonable to assume that. Just do the math. Some of the obese ARE too poor to afford fast food from McDonalds except maybe occasionally. Some people of average or below-average weight ARE too poor to afford fast food from McDonalds except maybe occasionally. As an extreme example, consider the "deep poverty” household that is defined by an income that falls below 50% of the poverty guidelines ($13,123 for a family of 4). After paying for other necessities such as shelter and clothing, if they could do so at all, how in the world would one expect them to be able to go to McDonalds on a regular basis? Now work backward and do the calculations for those at the poverty level. Again, you can do the math if you like, assuming a reasonable budget for other necessities and then you can determine how many times per week that a family of 4 can get fast food, even if purchasing from a dollar menu.
Alright. Let's just assume, even though healthy foods are available for cheap in every single city in America, that obese people (who are only poor, America's obesity has exploded in every income demographic as you guys completely ignore because it doesn't fit the victim narrative; a family of 4 with an income of $13K is not our obese population and all of you know this) cannot possibly afford to eat right. They are also too poor to eat junk and fast food. Shouldn't they be really, really thin then, from not being able to eat junk food or healthy food? If they cannot afford good food or bad food, how are they obese?
Old 12-08-2022, 09:06 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Our meat, poultry, dairy, etc corporations have way too much power in America and they are determined to make money off of every part of the process.
Eliminating those items from your diet can help your body and the planet immensely.
Please explain, especially the planet part.
Old 12-08-2022, 10:34 AM
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Please explain, especially the planet part.
Eating a plant-based diet is just common sense, or at the very least incorporating more plant-based items will help your overall health. I don't believe that is disputed by anyone.

As far as the environment, this is also well-known and is also not disputed except among those in control of meat, poultry, and dairy industries.

This is just one source among many, but it gives a good snapshot of the resource allocation for animal agriculture:

One pound of beef takes 2500 gallons of water, eggs 477 gallons of water, and cheese nearly 900 gallons. A really terrifying fact about burning too many fossil fuels as the leading cause of climate change is they all load up the atmosphere and the greenhouse effect makes the temperatures soar at a rate that has never existed in the entire history of the earth. 82% of the world's starving children live in countries where food is fed to animals in livestock and then sold to wealthier and developed countries. Animal agriculture produces 65% of the world's nitrous oxide emissions which has a global warming impact 296 times greater than carbon dioxide.

Raising livestock for human consumption generates nearly 15% of total global greenhouse gas emissions, which is greater than all the transportation emissions combined. It also uses nearly 70% of agricultural land which leads to being the major contributor to deforestation, biodiversity loss, and water pollution.

Ending our meat and dairy production could pause the growth of greenhouse gas emissions for 30 years, a new study suggests. All we need to do is adapt to a plant-based food system.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:53 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Eating a plant-based diet is just common sense, or at the very least incorporating more plant-based items will help your overall health. I don't believe that is disputed by anyone.

As far as the environment, this is also well-known and is also not disputed except among those in control of meat, poultry, and dairy industries.

This is just one source among many, but it gives a good snapshot of the resource allocation for animal agriculture:

One pound of beef takes 2500 gallons of water, eggs 477 gallons of water, and cheese nearly 900 gallons. A really terrifying fact about burning too many fossil fuels as the leading cause of climate change is they all load up the atmosphere and the greenhouse effect makes the temperatures soar at a rate that has never existed in the entire history of the earth. 82% of the world's starving children live in countries where food is fed to animals in livestock and then sold to wealthier and developed countries. Animal agriculture produces 65% of the world's nitrous oxide emissions which has a global warming impact 296 times greater than carbon dioxide.

Raising livestock for human consumption generates nearly 15% of total global greenhouse gas emissions, which is greater than all the transportation emissions combined. It also uses nearly 70% of agricultural land which leads to being the major contributor to deforestation, biodiversity loss, and water pollution.

Ending our meat and dairy production could pause the growth of greenhouse gas emissions for 30 years, a new study suggests. All we need to do is adapt to a plant-based food system.
LOL. I knew that's where your comment was leading.
Did you not hear, though, they did another study and found out the vaccines protect against climate change?
Instead of getting a booster every 2 months, like they are now recommending, think of how much faster you'll be able to save the planet if you get one every month instead.
Now, spread the word and get everyone else onboard too. If those people are unwilling to comply, you can call them anti-vaxxer climate change deniers, or AVCCD's for short.
Just think, you'll be well known for creating a new acronym and a hero among your peers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ronnnes.jpg (43.5 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by irv; 12-09-2022 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:59 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Because every thread needs a card...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 10.58.27 AM.jpg (110.9 KB, 101 views)
Old 12-08-2022, 12:25 PM
Jeremy

Quote:
LOL. I knew that's where your comment was leading.
Did you not hear, though, they did another study and found out the vaccines protect against climate change?
Instead of getting a booster every 2 months, like they are now suggesting, think of how much faster you'll be able to safe the planet if you get one every month instead.
Now, spread the word and get everyone else onboard too. If those people are unwilling to comply, you can call them anti-vaxxer climate crisis deniers, or AVCCD's for short.
Just think, you'll be well known for creating a new acronym and hero among your peers!
You have an unhealthy obsession with the vaccine. I feel like we could be talking about Mars and you would segue into a vaccine tangent.

So Mars...
Old 12-08-2022, 12:31 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
You have an unhealthy obsession with the vaccine. I feel like we could be talking about Mars and you would segue into a vaccine tangent.

So Mars...
To be fair, the "global pandemic" that never actually existed has only killed 6 million people. I guess it will take more to convince the skeptics...
Old 12-08-2022, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Alright. Let's just assume, even though healthy foods are available for cheap in every single city in America, that obese people (who are only poor, America's obesity has exploded in every income demographic as you guys completely ignore because it doesn't fit the victim narrative; a family of 4 with an income of $13K is not our obese population and all of you know this) cannot possibly afford to eat right. They are also too poor to eat junk and fast food. Shouldn't they be really, really thin then, from not being able to eat junk food or healthy food? If they cannot afford good food or bad food, how are they obese?
From having been on food stamps myself while having been a member of a family of 5, I can tell you that just because a family like mine could not go out to eat junk food at McDonalds frequently does not mean that we could not afford "bad" food. And by "bad" food, I mean a lot of lower cost, higher fat, pre-packaged meals that don't cost a lot to feed a family of 4 or 5. We could not afford lean ground beef; we bought cheaper ground beef with higher fat content. I don't need to go into what's going on with high fructose corn syrup, but yup, ate my share of those products as well. I had PE class every day, while not eating large portions of food on a regular basis. So I did get some exercise and did not overeat, and so I have my own experience from which to speak. I have also worked in med centers that treat low income and indigent families, and can tell you that this is not an uncommon scenario. Does it apply to all people though? Certainly not. Quantity of servings, exercise, genetics and food choices (either based or not based on income and poverty levels) themselves factor into the equation, though not all of them may be equal contributors to any one individual's cause fore being obese, or thin for that matter. It's just important to not generalize. We as a society tend to do this.

Last edited by jethrod3; 12-08-2022 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-08-2022, 02:40 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:

One pound of beef takes 2500 gallons of water, eggs 477 gallons of water, and cheese nearly 900 gallons.
You do realize, this water doesn't disappear, right?
Old 12-08-2022, 02:45 PM

Quote:

So Mars...
Very appropriate to talk about Mars with someone with the handle "Rad Hazard," so in the "did you know" department, did you know that beyond the actual risk of launching, traveling to and returning from Mars in a rocket ship, the radiation hazard is still one of the biggest risks to crew health?
Old 12-08-2022, 02:59 PM
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
You do realize, this water doesn't disappear, right?
You do realize that energy and resources to produce something has an effect, right?

Last edited by Rad_Hazard; 12-08-2022 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-08-2022, 03:01 PM
Jeremy

Quote:
Very appropriate to talk about Mars with someone with the handle "Rad Hazard," so in the "did you know" department, did you know that beyond the actual risk of launching, traveling to and returning from Mars in a rocket ship, the radiation hazard is still one of the biggest risks to crew health?
I did not know that. Radiation is decidedly not rad.
Old 12-08-2022, 05:14 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
From having been on food stamps myself while having been a member of a family of 5, I can tell you that just because a family like mine could not go out to eat junk food at McDonalds frequently does not mean that we could not afford "bad" food. And by "bad" food, I mean a lot of lower cost, higher fat, pre-packaged meals that don't cost a lot to feed a family of 4 or 5. We could not afford lean ground beef; we bought cheaper ground beef with higher fat content. I don't need to go into what's going on with high fructose corn syrup, but yup, ate my share of those products as well. I had PE class every day, while not eating large portions of food on a regular basis. So I did get some exercise and did not overeat, and so I have my own experience from which to speak. I have also worked in med centers that treat low income and indigent families, and can tell you that this is not an uncommon scenario. Does it apply to all people though? Certainly not. Quantity of servings, exercise, genetics and food choices (either based or not based on income and poverty levels) themselves factor into the equation, though not all of them may be equal contributors to any one individual's cause fore being obese, or thin for that matter. It's just important to not generalize. We as a society tend to do this.
Yeah it's important not to generalize. Like assuming fat people = poor people for some reason, even though it is factually true that obesity is cross-class problem. Science, actual science, is important too. If you consume less calories than you burn, weight goes down. If you eat high fructose corn syrup garbage and fast food, you're consuming unhealthy and high calorie food. It has a negative effect on your health. Eating vegetables, for one of many examples, many of which are very cheap, is much more advisable. I too managed to eat while poor, though I didn't get the benefit of food stamps and the taxpayers picking up my meals. I changed my diet around to a healthy one, while poor, after suffering the negative consequences of being fat (which was nobody's fault but my own) and through basic human biology and an iota of self-control, lost that weight by eating less than I burned, and then ate to maintain a healthy weight. I am not special.

Eat more than you need, get fat. Eat less than you need, lose weight. Eat what you need, maintain weight. If you get obese on your diet, you are consuming more than you need (except for the tiny % that actually has a true medical condition here). This is not hard. It's basic biology.
Old 12-08-2022, 05:36 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I would think those that are obsessed with the vaccine were the ones trying to force it into other people, fire them, and restrict or eliminate their most basic rights and civic liberties while completely lying about what the shot actually does. Sounds pretty obsessive to me.
Old 12-08-2022, 05:37 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Yeah it's important not to generalize. Like assuming fat people = poor people for some reason, even though it is factually true that obesity is cross-class problem. Science, actual science, is important too. If you consume less calories than you burn, weight goes down. If you eat high fructose corn syrup garbage and fast food, you're consuming unhealthy and high calorie food. It has a negative effect on your health. Eating vegetables, for one of many examples, many of which are very cheap, is much more advisable. I too managed to eat while poor, though I didn't get the benefit of food stamps and the taxpayers picking up my meals. I changed my diet around to a healthy one, while poor, after suffering the negative consequences of being fat (which was nobody's fault but my own) and through basic human biology and an iota of self-control, lost that weight by eating less than I burned, and then ate to maintain a healthy weight. I am not special.

Eat more than you need, get fat. Eat less than you need, lose weight. Eat what you need, maintain weight. If you get obese on your diet, you are consuming more than you need (except for the tiny % that actually has a true medical condition here). This is not hard. It's basic biology.
it funny how people worry about the outliers and the 99%.

eating less and moving more loses weight...or tapeworm perhaps....in 2022, we really dont need to hear that people in the 30s dont know about what healthy food is and that coca cola is bad for you and costs more than water at mcdonalds yet poor people buy coke. but water is FREE..with that dollar you could get a can of tuna.....heck with the 100 cokes bought a year 'fast food' thats a good amount of healthy food that can be bought....french fries or carrots..which costs more? So people make bad choices... but lets say its a medical condtion.

Bacon doesnt need to eaten ever either or Pizza, how much is a can of chickpea and beets...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 12-08-2022 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-08-2022, 08:04 PM
Ben North

Quote:
I would think those that are obsessed with the vaccine were the ones trying to force it into other people, fire them, and restrict or eliminate their most basic rights and civic liberties while completely lying about what the shot actually does. Sounds pretty obsessive to me.
So what does the shot actually do?
Old 12-08-2022, 11:02 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
So what does the shot actually do?
As I've said a few times, the data strongly suggests it provides some improved odds of not having a bad case of it. It is difficult to isolate this factor, diseases tend to grow less severe as they spread and mutate, but it appears to provide a benefit in survival and particularly bad but non-lethal cases for people in especially risky groups. The total benefit is statistically minuscule, as the CDC's own data and projected rates have always shown. A small number of people have bad reactions to it, which appears to be centered in young males (who are statistically incredibly unlikely to die from Covid). It clearly does little or even nothing to prevent infection (which from the recent Pfizer testimony, it appears they never even tested at all), it is clearly not an actual vaccine, it clearly does not do what it was stated to do when they were trying to force it into everyone and destroy the lives of those who declined to personally participate in the fear. If people want to take it, they should take it. If they don't, they shouldn't.
Old 12-09-2022, 02:46 AM

Quote:

You're missing the point that some folks don't have a choice, nor can they burn all the calories they take in by eating fatty foods. You're doing something that many medical students do frequently before they learn the reality of dealing with the many populations of patients they treat: blaming the patient. And I'm glad you never had to rely on food stamps and taxpayers "picking up your meals." I guess maybe you weren't as poor as some people find themselves, and that your circumstances may not have been as bad as those that others had to deal with in their lives.
Old 12-09-2022, 02:47 AM

Quote:
I did not know that. Radiation is decidedly not rad.
Occasionally, actually, radiation can be quite rad!!
Old 12-09-2022, 07:07 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
No kidding, and coming from the guy who likely has 5 shots now, or more, and will more than likely adhere to the new recommendation of getting boosted every 2 months?
Old 12-09-2022, 08:22 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
No kidding, and coming from the guy who likely has 5 shots now, or more, and will more than likely adhere to the new recommendation of getting boosted every 2 months?
The powers that be may read your posts and come for you - be careful.
Old 12-09-2022, 09:26 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
The powers that be may read your posts and come for you - be careful.
Personally, I'd be more afraid if I was vaccinated, and especially boosted.
How many product injections have you had now, Carter?
Old 12-09-2022, 10:05 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Personally, I'd be more afraid if I was vaccinated, and especially boosted.
How many product injections have you had now, Carter?
I follow what my doctor thinks is right. For the kids I follow what their doctor thinks is right. I trust them both. Would be difficult to convince me that’s not the appropriate course.
Old 12-09-2022, 10:10 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
You're missing the point that some folks don't have a choice, nor can they burn all the calories they take in by eating fatty foods. You're doing something that many medical students do frequently before they learn the reality of dealing with the many populations of patients they treat: blaming the patient. And I'm glad you never had to rely on food stamps and taxpayers "picking up your meals." I guess maybe you weren't as poor as some people find themselves, and that your circumstances may not have been as bad as those that others had to deal with in their lives.
Yes I'm very glad I've never taken welfare too.

They DO have a choice. Again, people are not being force fed. You can drink water over a soda. It's cheaper. You can eat a smaller serving, that costs the same or less. Every single city in America has vegetables available for the same price as junk food or less. You absolutely, factually do make choices. Lower income people do not have no choice. That is a blatant lie no matter how much you want to repeat it. You are responsible for what you shove down every day. I still have no idea why every response to the basic concept that you pick how much and what you eat, and that eating more than you need makes one fat, is about poverty. Biology does not care about your class. If you eat more than you need you get fat; whether you are a homeless person or Warren Buffet. If people were too poor, they would be thin from malnutrition and not getting enough. The problem with obesity is people are eating too much. Obviously. It is biological fact. I am sorry you don't like it.
Old 12-09-2022, 10:23 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I follow what my doctor thinks is right. For the kids I follow what their doctor thinks is right. I trust them both. Would be difficult to convince me that’s not the appropriate course.
You do realize your doctor gets kickbacks, gets paid every time he injects someone, don't you?
Enjoy your blissful day.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:41 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
You do realize your doctor gets kickbacks, gets paid every time he injects someone, don't you?
Enjoy your blissful day.
He never injected me with a single thing but good thought. Your medical degree is from where again?
Old 12-09-2022, 12:35 PM
Ben North

Quote:
He never injected me with a single thing but good thought. Your medical degree is from where again?
Just because someone has no idea how things really work does not mean they can't be an expert in the subject.
Old 12-09-2022, 12:42 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Just because someone has no idea how things really work does not mean they can't be an expert in the subject.
Right? Who needs a medical degree when you can just watch a couple of doctored videos on Facebook?
Old 12-09-2022, 01:03 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Right? Who needs a medical degree when you can just watch a couple of doctored videos on Facebook?
Yeah, because one needs a medical degree to know that.
A swing and a miss, fellas.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/pharm...ency-1.4169888
https://www.propublica.org/article/d...any-tied-to-it
https://www.utoronto.ca/news/what-bi...tor-u-t-expert
https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...illers-for-you
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/does-yo...e-to-find-out/
https://arstechnica.com/science/2019...harma-each-yea
Old 12-09-2022, 01:34 PM
Ben North

Not wasting my time reading the silly links.

Quote:
Enjoy your blissful day.
Maybe in Canada this is true. From your real personal experience not some silly link or some BS you heard someplace. Who exactly gives the COVID vaccine in your location? Is it your personal medical doctor?

Here from my personal real life experience my doctor had absolutely nothing to do with my vaccine shot. I got the first one as soon as I could and got the 6 month booster. I live in a small town of 10K and we had at least 4 locations to get the vaccine of your choice.

I honestly can't even remember when the last time my doctor had anything to do with a vaccine shot of any kind here. Maybe when I was a little kid in the 70s.
Old 12-09-2022, 01:43 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Not wasting my time reading the silly links.

Remain ignorant then, Ben. I know that is much easier than it is for you to admit you were duped.
Old 12-09-2022, 01:56 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Remain ignorant then, Ben. I know that is much easier than it is for you to admit you were duped.
So you can't even answer a simple question?

Duped are you fuckin kidding. I live in a area COVID killed people. I lost life long time real life friends. Those of us who got the vaccine early turned out better. This is real life people I know example not some silly BS link that fits my loony tunes agenda.
Old 12-09-2022, 02:00 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
So you can't even answer a simple question?

Duped are you fuckin kidding. I live in a area COVID killed people. I lost life long time real life friends. Those of us who got the vaccine early turned out better. This is real life people I know example not some silly BS link that fits my loony tunes agenda.
Like you, I didn't want to waste my time.