NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Default Original Photos / Type I photos and Autographs

Hello all,

I was curious as to what the general consensus is regarding getting original photos / type I photos signed? Would the autograph take away from the photo, or would it add to it? I know to each his own, but I was curious as to thoughts of memorabilia collectors that are more advanced/knowledgeable than I am (in terms of pros and cons).

After taking my son to get pictures signed by Whitey Ford (one of my grandfather's best friends as a kid), and Juan Marichal (first Dominican HOF - my son is half-Dominican), I've thought about expanding my collecting focus from Jackie Robinson cards and HOF RCs to Signed 8x10s and unsigned original photos. I prefer photos to baseballs/bats due to limited storage and display space.

I've heard that original / type I photos are generally far more appealing than later prints/reprints of photos, and are obviously more expensive. Aside from cost, however, are there any negatives to getting them signed?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 12-04-2011, 12:46 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

My experience from a selling standpoint has been that there are vintage photo collectors, and there are autograph collectors, and typically having a vintage photo signed will remove it from one camp of interest to the other. I don't see the two areas of interest merging much unless the signature is also vintage as in a nice fountain pen signature from the athlete's playing days. I don't usually see the autograph collectors paying a premium for a sharpie-signed vintage photo over what they would a sharpie-signed modern reprint of that same photo, but I have heard from plenty of photo collectors that they have no interest whatsoever in signed photos, regardless of how old the photo itself is.

That said though, it's really a matter of preference. If you're collecting autographs and prefer the look of a vintage photo signed by a player over a modern print signed by the same guy, then it's up to you whether it's worth spending the extra dough for that vintage original photo. Something else to consider would be having a modern reprint of the vintage photo made for signing while keeping the original "unmarred".

Personally, I would liken it to collecting player autographs on $20 bills vs. collecting autographs on $100 bills. Sure, the signed $100 bill will be more desirable, but is it worth spending 5x as much for the material upgrade? Just my 2 cents...
Old 12-04-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
My experience from a selling standpoint has been that there are vintage photo collectors, and there are autograph collectors, and typically having a vintage photo signed will remove it from one camp of interest to the other. I don't see the two areas of interest merging much unless the signature is also vintage as in a nice fountain pen signature from the athlete's playing days. I don't usually see the autograph collectors paying a premium for a sharpie-signed vintage photo over what they would a sharpie-signed modern reprint of that same photo, but I have heard from plenty of photo collectors that they have no interest whatsoever in signed photos, regardless of how old the photo itself is.

That said though, it's really a matter of preference. If you're collecting autographs and prefer the look of a vintage photo signed by a player over a modern print signed by the same guy, then it's up to you whether it's worth spending the extra dough for that vintage original photo. Something else to consider would be having a modern reprint of the vintage photo made for signing while keeping the original "unmarred".

Personally, I would liken it to collecting player autographs on $20 bills vs. collecting autographs on $100 bills. Sure, the signed $100 bill will be more desirable, but is it worth spending 5x as much for the material upgrade? Just my 2 cents...
+1 - Eloquently said, Lance!
Old 12-04-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
+1 - Eloquently said, Lance!
I +1 on Scott's +1... Is that even legal?
Old 12-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Doug Goodman

Lance, that's the best analogy ever.
Doug
Old 12-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Add me to the agree pile. You could always have a Type 1 matted and framed along with a sigmed ball or important game ticket. That looks nice and doesn't ruin your expensive photo.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:51 PM
Phil Garry

I agree with Lance, one appeals to autograph collectors the other to photo collectors. I don't think the two make a good mix/match.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:00 PM

I think it would depend on the player. Guys like Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Stan Musial and Ernie Banks, players who will have type I photos from their glory days, I think would be very attractive to collectors of both photos and autographs. If you could find a Type I photo of Hank in his Negro Leagues uniform and get it signed by him, I think the photo would retain its appeal to both ends of the collecting spectrum.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:07 PM

I think you will get opinions for and against, but you can do what you want and think is a good idea.

I also think it's true that autograph and photograph collectors can be two different sets of people.

Though I'm sure even future idle autograph collectors will find significance in the photos being originals not reprints.

Last edited by drc; 12-04-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Craig

I tend to agree but in my experience a modern auto on a vintage Type I photo does not affect the price and in some cases is a definite plus for the buyer knowing that the player actually held the vintage photo in his hands.

Type I photos with period signatures often command lots more money - especially rookie years.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:39 PM
Doug Goodman

I for one am a big fan of photos but, I have zero interest in a photo with an autograph.

Similarly, I have no interest in having autographs on anything that I collect, programs, cards, supplements, etc.

This is just a personal preference, having nothing to do with any issues regarding authenticity.

Doug
Old 12-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
I for one am a big fan of photos but, I have zero interest in a photo with an autograph.

Similarly, I have no interest in having autographs on anything that I collect, programs, cards, supplements, etc.

This is just a personal preference, having nothing to do with any issues regarding authenticity.

Doug
+1, was never interested in autographs.

To slightly differ with Doug, with recent controversy about authentication, I am happy my collecting focus was elsewhere.

Last edited by ibuysportsephemera; 12-04-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:38 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
+1, was never interested in autographs.

To slightly differ with Doug, with recent controversy about authentication, I am happy my collecting focus was elsewhere.
Actually Jeff, you and I don't differ in regards to this issue.

I feel like I whine too much about grading / authentication being evil and bad for our hobby, on this forum and another that I am involved in, so I edited my own comments prior to posting so as to avoid going that direction.

Oops! I did it again.

Doug