NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 08-03-2022, 09:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
I'm sure they were all very healthy going in too.
So a disease that kills people with pre existing health issues is not a story? Got it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-03-2022, 10:43 AM
Jeff C.

Does it (covid) get it's own booth next year in Chicago? Or is it on standby? Will it be in the corporate area, dealer area, or autograph area? Will I need to get a parking pass?

Also, which Woodstock? Original or failed reboot?
Old 08-03-2022, 10:44 AM

According to the CDC estimates, an average of 36,000 Americans died because of the flu for the ten years through the 2020 flu season. If an average of 400 people a day were to die during the year, that comes out to 146,000. Thankfully much better than 400,000+ a year as in the first 24 months of Covid, but I would think still a real concern.

I would much rather have this be my untimely end.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t203strikeone 001.jpg (110.9 KB, 773 views)
Old 08-03-2022, 11:47 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Seriously? Are you in the medical field? If masks don’t help, the next time you have surgery or any type of medical procedure just tell the doctor not to wear one. Since you don’t think they really do much.
Every doctor I've spoken with says the benefit is with SICK people wearing them. Healthy people wearing them provides little benefit.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:50 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
So a disease that kills people with pre existing health issues is not a story? Got it.
Not at all...But any disease can kill a person with pre-existing conditions. Not just Covid. They're the ones who should take the precautions. Mandating that everyone else where masks as well is pointless.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:04 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Every doctor I've spoken with says the benefit is with SICK people wearing them. Healthy people wearing them provides little benefit.
Honestly, at face value, that just doesn't make sense to me. If it works on one persons face then it should on another? I am not even debating whether they do or don't help.
My personal belief is that they do help a little but I am still not wearing one, for now.,

That said, in this day and age with everyone knowing full well the risks, I prefer to let everyone decide for themselves. I am vaxed and boosted...but really need to get an update and will before next years show.

Last edited by Leon; 08-03-2022 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Honestly, on face value, that just doesn't make sense to me. If it works on one persons face then it should on another? I am not evening debating whether they do or don't help.
My personal belief is that they do help a little but I am still not wearing one, for now.,

That said, in this day and age with everyone knowing full well the risks, I prefer to let everyone decide for themselves. I am vaxed and boosted...but really need to get an update and will before next years show.
I prefer afternoon debating, personally.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:40 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I prefer afternoon debating, personally.
I will leave the humor for later....yes, afternoon everything is good !

Last edited by Leon; 08-03-2022 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:42 PM

Confirmed..
I brought it home w me I should get my 30 entry refunded

Other 3 with me = all ok

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2022, 12:44 PM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Quote:
You are most contagious with Covid before you even know you have it along with the first few days after you become sick. And if you’re asymptomatic, you are still contagious. So I’m not sure how this makes any sense. But to each their own.

Last edited by jimjim; 08-03-2022 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-03-2022, 02:34 PM
D@le Irv*n

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipUn5goyM2I
Old 08-03-2022, 02:55 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
You are most contagious with Covid before you even know you have it along with the first few days after you become sick. And if you’re asymptomatic, you are still contagious. So I’m not sure how this makes any sense. But to each their own.
And this is why everyone should wear them. You don't know if you're sick or not, so why spread to others when you can help prevent the spread. Yes, everyone knows the risks, but it's not like wearing a mask is all that hard of an ask. I didn't go to the National and I still got Covid. I really should have worn a mask before I opened this thread knowing many of you attended a super spreader event.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 08-03-2022, 03:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

I don't favor mandates, but neither do I really understand the casual, nothing to see here, fuck it, fuck you attitude so many seem to have these days.

Old 08-03-2022, 03:33 PM
A.J. Johnson

Quote:
I don't favor mandates, but neither do I really understand the casual, nothing to see here, fuck it, fuck you attitude so many seem to have these days.
Early Covid days, pre vaccine I think a mandate made sense. Now that we know a million times more, not so much. That's why even with cases increasing in Los Angeles they opted not to institute another mandate.

Pretty simple in my mind now, if you have weakened immune system you should wear a good KN95 mask around lots of people. The risks for a bad outcome (hospitalization or death) with the latest variants are even lower now than before, so if you're vaxxed and boosted no mask needed.
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time

Last edited by ajjohnsonsoxfan; 08-03-2022 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-03-2022, 03:34 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

I find that buying N28 & N29's offer more protection for a healthier life.
Old 08-03-2022, 03:36 PM
A.J. Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwyer View Post
I find that buying N28 & N29's offer more protection for a healthier life.
I'll trade you a box of KN95's for a N28... :-)
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time

Last edited by ajjohnsonsoxfan; 08-03-2022 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-03-2022, 03:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
Early Covid days, pre vaccine I think a mandate made sense. Now that we know a million times more, not so much. That's why even with cases increasing in Los Angeles they opted not to institute another mandate.

Pretty simple in my mind now, if you have weakened immune system you should wear a good KN95 mask around lots of people. The risks for a bad outcome (hospitalization or death) with the latest variants are even lower now than before, so if you're vaxxed and boosted no mask needed.
Do you consider long COVID a bad outcome? A lot of that out there even from milder cases.

Old 08-03-2022, 03:44 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Do you consider long COVID a bad outcome? A lot of that out there even from milder cases.
I know a few people with complications from long covid and it's been pretty bad.
Old 08-03-2022, 03:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I know a few people with complications from long covid and it's been pretty bad.
Post-viral syndromes are of course nothing new, but it certainly seems to be a significant issue for some with this virus. Then again, attending a card show with a mask is probably MUCH worse.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-03-2022 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-03-2022, 04:24 PM
Johnny MaZilli

[QUOTE][/QUOTE

This conversation shows you how addicted collectors are to the cards. People would risk Catching a deadly virus by attending the National non-vaccinated and non-masked even with thousands of people in the room amidst close proximity just for the chance to find a few cards they have been looking for. Everyone should stay safe and take precautions, do it for your family and fellow collectors.

Last edited by Johnny630; 08-03-2022 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-03-2022, 04:34 PM
Jerry Tate

Default Monkeypox

Did anyone get Monkeypox??
Old 08-03-2022, 04:34 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Benefit for the sick. Healthy people wearing them helps protect the vulnerable.
Old 08-03-2022, 04:38 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

If only the cards had been vaccinated and socially distanced, but the state of New Jersey might not have been a large enough venue if this was the case.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 08-03-2022, 04:46 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrinus View Post
Did anyone get Monkeypox??
The way things are going, that will be next year's big acquisition.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 08-03-2022, 09:58 PM
Jonathan Sterling

I was at the VP event Wed and waiting in line to get in a very angry looking guy walks up to me and says " what is wrong with these people? You me and 3 other people in this room have masks on...He was right I counted 5 in the room. I have tested negative so far as well as my son and grandson who went with me Friday.
I volunteered for a time at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville. I was tought how to mask correctly as well as how to wash my hands. It was mildly uncomfortable but I have my other 15 month old grandson living with me so I am glad I masked up. Hope all that cought it feel better soon.
Jonathan
Old 08-03-2022, 11:30 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

My body, my choice! No, wait, that can't be right...

But seriously, when did the concepts of 'freedom' and 'selfishness' intersect? There's a contagion around so I mask up as a courtesy to others who might be vulnerable to complications. Cancer patients, the elderly, kids with immunity issues. It is a minor inconvenience that might help others in my community, so what's the harm? Simple as that. Do unto others and what not.

As for the show, I've now heard of at least two attendees getting the hell beaten out of them on the mean streets of AC. Never heard of that in any other show stop.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-03-2022 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:58 PM
James M.

Myself and the two other people I was with, continue to test negative. All various ages, and health status' as well. At this point, covid cases are bound to happen. Not denying the seriousness of the illness, but we have ways of treating it now. It will become endemic, eventually. I feel like it's been too many posts since a card was posted, so if I may:

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 08-04-2022, 05:43 AM
P.aul Orl,in

Quote:
There seems to be less room for error with certain N95s with overhead straps. It's easy to get a tight seal. Not at all pleasant to wear, but to an extent one adjusts. Just an observation not a judgment, but with the continued aggressive presence of the virus even in the warm weather, I find it surprising that the vast majority of the populace has just abandoned masks even in indoor settings.
Agreed. I went and wore an N95, was shocked that almost no one did. It felt ok when not crowded, but as the crowds poured in, it was not safe from getting covid. But luckily and hopefully people aren’t usually getting very sick from it. If people were getting very sick, i think everyone would be more careful. Being vaccinated does not have much of anything to do with getting it or not.

Hope everyone is ok!
Old 08-04-2022, 06:03 AM
D@le Irv*n

Dr. Birx Says She Knew of Natural COVID-19 Reinfections as Early as December 2020
During questioning from Ohio Republican Representative Jim Jordan, former White House COVID-19 Coordinator Dr. Deborah Birx says she knew in December 2020 and January 2021 that people who were naturally infected with COVID-19 were experiencing reinfection based on data coming out of South Africa. She says that officials were likely hoping that infection or transmission would not reoccur once the vaccines came along. "I think it was hope that the vaccine would work in that way," she says.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c50210...-december-2020
Old 08-04-2022, 07:09 AM

Ok, since this thread wont die: Me, personally, I am done wearing a mask. I am vaxed and boosted and I (and my wife and kids) have probably taken our last shots. If rules again require masking, I will follow the rules (and then I will vote against those who put them in place). 2+ years later, having had (and survived) Covid twice, having seen everyone in my immediate and extended family (including my real banged up mom) get and survive Covid, and seeing that mass deaths are no longer happening, I am over Covid and ready to live my life. Also, I do not believe in a race to the bottom and do not feel that 98+% of the population should live/act/do for the 2% minority, who is very capable of taking their own precautions and doing (or not doing) what makes them feel safe/comfortable.

I did not go to the the National this year. It had nothing to do with Covid. Had I gone, I would not have worn a mask.

Forward!

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 08-04-2022 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:13 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Ok, since this thread wont die: Me, personally, I am done wearing a mask. I am vaxed and boosted and I (and my wife and kids) have probably taken our last shots. If rules again require masking, I will follow the rules (and then I will vote against those who put them in place). 2+ years later, having had (and survived) Covid twice, having seen everyone in my immediate and extended family (including my real banged up mom) get and survive Covid, and seeing that mass deaths are no longer happening, I am over Covid and ready to live my life. Also, I do not believe in a race to the bottom and do not feel that 98+% of the population should live/act/do for the 2% minority, who is very capable of taking their own precautions and doing (or not doing) what makes them feel safe/comfortable.

I did not do the the National this year. It had nothing to do with Covid. Had I gone, I would not have worn a mask.

Forward!

I cannot add anymore to this sentiment than has already been said. Concur completely. Wanna wear a mask do it, don't wanna wear a mask don't, simple as that.

Count me as one of the not gonna wear one. If one does not like that, it is their problem and not mine.

Cheers,

Butch

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:14 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:

I did not do the the National this year. It had nothing to do with Covid. Had I gone, I would not have worn a mask.

Forward!
I’m pretty much done with masks but the crowded National was an exception for me on that front. To say I was in the minority is an understatement.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:26 AM
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
I’m pretty much done with masks but the crowded National was an exception for me on that front. To say I was in the minority is an understatement.
I think you should wear a Halloween mask. “It'd be a lot cooler if you did” in the words of character David Wooderson (Matthew McConaughey)
Old 08-04-2022, 08:29 AM
Bob
Bob Comm.entucci

Well, I went to the National in search of my white whale: T206 Cobb Bat Off: PSA 4.5. Found it at a decent price too. But, I just found out I also received a parting gift from the Show: Testing positive for Covid. Yay!!
Old 08-04-2022, 08:41 AM
Rob

Quote:
Good grief. It's your life to waste. Have at it.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:43 AM
Rob

Quote:
Honestly, at face value, that just doesn't make sense to me. If it works on one persons face then it should on another? I am not even debating whether they do or don't help.

Because masks catch spray. They don't prevent you from breathing it in.
Old 08-04-2022, 09:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Because masks catch spray. They don't prevent you from breathing it in.
Thanks for making my point.
Old 08-04-2022, 11:43 AM
Chase

Quote:

I did not go to the the National this year. It had nothing to do with Covid. Had I gone, I would not have worn a mask.

Forward!
Exactly. For those who want to wear them, now, feel free. If you are one of those people who do not like that the people you are around are not wearing them, then leave. Thanks for posting.
Old 08-04-2022, 01:32 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Exactly. For those who want to wear them, now, feel free. If you are one of those people who do not like that the people you are around are not wearing them, then leave. Thanks for posting.
Wear what you want, but I am putting this sign on my table:

No Mask No Discount

Or not...
Old 08-04-2022, 01:42 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Oh, for f***'s sake, haven't you learned by now: don't feed the trolls.
Just because I don't have 11000 plus posts doesn't make me a troll for expressing an opinion. Get down off your high horse.
Old 08-04-2022, 01:48 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisFlood View Post
Just because I don't have 11000 plus posts doesn't make me a troll for expressing an opinion. Get down off your high horse.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-04-2022 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-04-2022, 02:20 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default The Sum of All Fears

After over 2 years I have arrived at the following conclusion based on all available data and internet posts...... If you do or do not wear a mask, you are a moron. Thank you and peace out my peeps!
Old 08-04-2022, 02:30 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Wear what you want, but I am putting this sign on my table:

No Mask No Discount
Hey that is better than No Mask No Service...so I do agree to these terms.
Old 08-04-2022, 02:50 PM
D@le Irv*n

Judge Unseals 400 Pages of Evidence, Clears Way for Pfizer Whistleblower Lawsuit.
A whistleblower lawsuit alleging fraud during Pfizer’s COVID vaccine trials is moving forward, after a district court judge unsealed the complaint, including 400 pages of exhibits.

https://childrenshealthdefense.org/d...lower-lawsuit/
https://twitter.com/IamBrookJackson/...10562985398273 (Scroll up slightly to see video #1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaLxhFiOBYk

Last edited by irv; 08-04-2022 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-04-2022, 02:52 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
After over 2 years I have arrived at the following conclusion based on all available data and internet posts...... If you do or do not wear a mask, you are a moron. Thank you and peace out my peeps!
Thread WINNER!!!!!

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 08-04-2022, 04:14 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Benefit for the sick. Healthy people wearing them helps protect the vulnerable.
Re-read that last sentence. Who can find the flaw?
Old 08-05-2022, 08:22 AM
Brian

http://https://www.reuters.com/artic...23579720100212http://https://www.reuters.com/artic...23579720100212

How come nobody cared about viruses in 2009-10? Up to 1,800 children died in that short span with the swine flu. Those are children and not elderly sick patients, and I don't mean to dismiss the death of an elderly sick person, but it should go without saying that the death of a child has an immeasurable magnitude higher.

I say "nobody cared' because there was no wide spread testing. Schools as a majority didn't do anything to cause prevention or spread. NO masks anywhere.

Nobody walked around the National that year wearing a mask saying "I don't want my child to die from swine flu." Children were very vulnerable to that virus, more so than elderly...which makes the way schools handled covid way more puzzling than when they did nothing for Swine flu.

Since there was no massive testing for swine flu, who knows how many more died of it or had it.

So are we saying we now learned a lesson from 'letting' 1,800 kids die during that time and that is why all these convoluted mitigations were put into place?

Or are we just going to forget that all those children died and give the people in charge then a free pass?

Many of the same doctors in charge of the nation now were in charge then too. Are something as simple as a mask just now revelation to them? I would like to know why they didn't have that simple revelation a decade earlier?? Were children not important enough to prevent from getting sick or dying?

The term "one life lost is one too many" has been uttered several times in the past two years. How come 1,800 lives isn't 1,800 too many?

How come nobody asks these questions?

.................................................. .................................................. ....................

This is the linked article reported by Reuters from 2010 about the virus::

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - H1N1 swine flu has killed as many as 17,000 Americans, including 1,800 children, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported on Friday.

The H1N1 flu virus (red) is pictured in this handout photograph taken on July 9, 2009 and released on July 13, 2009. REUTERS/Image courtesy of Yoshihiro Kawaoka/University of Wisconsin-Madiso/Handout

The swine flu pandemic put as many people into the hospital as during the normal influenza season -- but most were younger adults and children instead of the elderly, and it was during the months when usually very little or no flu is circulating, the CDC said.

In a separate study that helped shed light on why so many children were seriously affected, researchers reported on four children who developed a serious infection of the heart from swine flu, including one who died.

“CDC estimates that between 41 million and 84 million cases of 2009 H1N1 occurred between April 2009 and January 16, 2010,” the agency said in a statement. Usually the CDC goes with a middle number, which it puts at about 57 million people infected.

Between 8,330 and 17,160 people died during that time from H1N1, with a middle range of about 12,000, the CDC said. But between 880 and 1,800 children died, up to 13,000 adults under the age of 65 and only 1,000 to 2,000 elderly.

In a normal flu season, the CDC estimates that 36,000 Americans die of flu, but 90 percent are over the age of 65. The CDC estimates that 200,000 go into the hospital, again mostly frail elderly people with other health conditions.

The swine flu pandemic has affected much younger people.

ADVERTISEMENT

The CDC estimate shows that between 183,000 and 378,000 people were hospitalized with H1N1 swine flu from April to January.

In an average flu season, about 82 children die in the United States, the CDC says. But those are lab-confirmed cases.

ACCURATE ESTIMATES
The CDC and the World Health Organization stopped trying to count all the actual cases months ago, once it became clear that H1N1 was a pandemic that would infect millions.

WHO’s count of lab-confirmed cases showed that at least 15,292 people had died in 212 countries and territories.

But WHO and the CDC note there are nowhere near enough diagnostic tests to give to everyone with flu-like symptoms to see if they really have swine flu.

ADVERTISEMENT

The CDC therefore does its estimates based on models, calculated by looking intensively at small groups of people, gathering data on overall reports of sickness and death, and reconciling the two.

That is also how the CDC comes up with its annual estimates for seasonal flu, and experts agree these estimates are far more accurate than counting confirmed cases.

H1N1 is causing some unusual symptoms. In a report published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, Dr. Andras Bratincsak of Rady Children’s Hospital and the University of California San Diego reported on four cases of a heart inflammation called myocarditis among children there in just one month.

“We present the first known report of acute myocarditis in pediatric population associated with the present pandemic H1N1 influenza A virus infection,” they wrote.

Viral myocarditis is extremely rare and one child died and two required extracorporeal membrane oxygenation support or ECMO -- an extreme type of life support similar to heart-lung bypass machines used during open-heart surgery.

“Our observations warrant a high index of suspicion for myocarditis in children with H1N1 influenza A infection. Early detection and aggressive management are paramount,” Bratincsak’s team wrote.

Last edited by HistoricNewspapers; 08-05-2022 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:25 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricNewspapers View Post
http://https://www.reuters.com/artic...23579720100212http://https://www.reuters.com/artic...23579720100212

How come nobody cared about viruses in 2009-10? Up to 1,800 children died in that short span with the swine flu. Those are children and not elderly sick patients, and I don't mean to dismiss the death of an elderly sick person, but it should go without saying that the death of a child has an immeasurable magnitude higher.

I say "nobody cared' because there was no wide spread testing. Schools as a majority didn't do anything to cause prevention or spread. NO masks anywhere.

Nobody walked around the National that year wearing a mask saying "I don't want my child to die from swine flu." Children were very vulnerable to that virus, more so than elderly...which makes the way schools handled covid way more puzzling than when they did nothing for Swine flu.

Since there was no massive testing for swine flu, who knows how many more died of it or had it.

So are we saying we now learned a lesson from 'letting' 1,800 kids die during that time and that is why all these convoluted mitigations were put into place?

Or are we just going to forget that all those children died and give the people in charge then a free pass?

Many of the same doctors in charge of the nation now were in charge then too. Are something as simple as a mask just now revelation to them? I would like to know why they didn't have that simple revelation a decade earlier?? Were children not important enough to prevent from getting sick or dying?

The term "one life lost is one too many" has been uttered several times in the past two years. How come 1,800 lives isn't 1,800 too many?

How come nobody asks these questions?

.................................................. .................................................. ....................

This is the linked article reported by Reuters from 2010 about the virus::

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - H1N1 swine flu has killed as many as 17,000 Americans, including 1,800 children, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported on Friday.

The H1N1 flu virus (red) is pictured in this handout photograph taken on July 9, 2009 and released on July 13, 2009. REUTERS/Image courtesy of Yoshihiro Kawaoka/University of Wisconsin-Madiso/Handout

The swine flu pandemic put as many people into the hospital as during the normal influenza season -- but most were younger adults and children instead of the elderly, and it was during the months when usually very little or no flu is circulating, the CDC said.

In a separate study that helped shed light on why so many children were seriously affected, researchers reported on four children who developed a serious infection of the heart from swine flu, including one who died.

“CDC estimates that between 41 million and 84 million cases of 2009 H1N1 occurred between April 2009 and January 16, 2010,” the agency said in a statement. Usually the CDC goes with a middle number, which it puts at about 57 million people infected.

Between 8,330 and 17,160 people died during that time from H1N1, with a middle range of about 12,000, the CDC said. But between 880 and 1,800 children died, up to 13,000 adults under the age of 65 and only 1,000 to 2,000 elderly.

In a normal flu season, the CDC estimates that 36,000 Americans die of flu, but 90 percent are over the age of 65. The CDC estimates that 200,000 go into the hospital, again mostly frail elderly people with other health conditions.

The swine flu pandemic has affected much younger people.

ADVERTISEMENT

The CDC estimate shows that between 183,000 and 378,000 people were hospitalized with H1N1 swine flu from April to January.

In an average flu season, about 82 children die in the United States, the CDC says. But those are lab-confirmed cases.

ACCURATE ESTIMATES
The CDC and the World Health Organization stopped trying to count all the actual cases months ago, once it became clear that H1N1 was a pandemic that would infect millions.

WHO’s count of lab-confirmed cases showed that at least 15,292 people had died in 212 countries and territories.

But WHO and the CDC note there are nowhere near enough diagnostic tests to give to everyone with flu-like symptoms to see if they really have swine flu.

ADVERTISEMENT

The CDC therefore does its estimates based on models, calculated by looking intensively at small groups of people, gathering data on overall reports of sickness and death, and reconciling the two.

That is also how the CDC comes up with its annual estimates for seasonal flu, and experts agree these estimates are far more accurate than counting confirmed cases.

H1N1 is causing some unusual symptoms. In a report published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, Dr. Andras Bratincsak of Rady Children’s Hospital and the University of California San Diego reported on four cases of a heart inflammation called myocarditis among children there in just one month.

“We present the first known report of acute myocarditis in pediatric population associated with the present pandemic H1N1 influenza A virus infection,” they wrote.

Viral myocarditis is extremely rare and one child died and two required extracorporeal membrane oxygenation support or ECMO -- an extreme type of life support similar to heart-lung bypass machines used during open-heart surgery.

“Our observations warrant a high index of suspicion for myocarditis in children with H1N1 influenza A infection. Early detection and aggressive management are paramount,” Bratincsak’s team wrote.
Impossible to answer without turning this political.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:47 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Impossible to answer without turning this political.
I'm sure things will be ramped up real soon.
They've, or are at least their trying, to ramp up climate change by referring to it, and trying to get everyone on board, to now it being a climate crisis.
Throw in monkey-pox, covid cases rising, and almost any other fear mongering tool at their disposal and they'll use it.
Crazy times!!
CNN Director speaking about climate change and admitting, fear sells.
https://twitter.com/aboutparesh/stat...C-ibuO8oErAAAA

Last edited by irv; 08-19-2022 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:50 AM
Peter Spaeth

"They."

Lemme guess. Fauci, Greta Thunberg, Prince Charles, Biden, the media, Hollywood, and the rest of the vast left wing conspiracy?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-05-2022 at 09:55 AM.