NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-25-2023, 10:55 AM

Default Pat tillman auto card - psa question

A question for the masses. I recently sent a card to PSA for autograph authentication and grading. Not that unusual, as I have sent several to them in the past. However, in this case the card is autographed by someone other than the player. I sent a Pat Tillman rookie card to them, autographed on the back by Mary Tillman, Pat's mother. I met her at a book signing and visited with her for a while. A very nice lady. She was gracious enough to autograph Pat's rookie card for me on the reverse.

My question is, does anyone have experience with having a card autographed by someone other than the player and how will it be labeled? It's been a couple of weeks and the card is still in the first stage.

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2023, 03:12 PM
jim qu.inlisk

I tried to get a signature on an index card authenticated years aqo and they could not because they had nothing in their database to compare it to. I can't see how they could authenticate yours. Still something to be treasured because YOU know it's good.
Old 01-25-2023, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimq16415 View Post
I tried to get a signature on an index card authenticated years aqo and they could not because they had nothing in their database to compare it to. I can't see how they could authenticate yours. Still something to be treasured because YOU know it's good.
Yes sir, I'm doing it more to protect it and pass along more than anything. I checked their database and Mary Tillman is not in there, although she should be.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:18 AM
Bill H@e1ig

I suspect it'd be returned with a refund
Old 01-26-2023, 07:53 AM

They may have exemplars of her, they may not. Authenticators do always make sure to retain any exemplars of players' relatives that come their way, so you just may luck out in this case.

They have no problem in slabbing a card signed by someone other than the player depicted. Case in point, there are a ton of Perez Steeles out there that are signed in this way which have been slabbed. Think Cy Young's Perez Steele as signed by Cy Young Award winners, or Rube Foster's, signed by whatever Negro Leaguer.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 01-26-2023 at 07:54 AM.
Old 01-29-2023, 12:02 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

In those cases, it's likely they won't grade the card, but may authenticate the autograph under the TRADING CARD header with Mary Tillman as the Autograph subject.

If they dual graded it, it would show up in the Pop Report as signed by Pat Tillman, which would be a lousy loophole to try to exploit.

I'd be shocked if they had enough exemplars to authenticate her auto. It has no value. No clue why you'd even send it in. Put it in a one-touch or a Cardsaver if you want it protected for some reason.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-31-2023, 02:41 PM
Steven Finley

If they don’t have an exemplar they won’t authenticate. I once had a signed first bowman returned by PSA as unable to authenticate no exemplar, while the player had Bowman Chrome autos in the same set…
Old 02-20-2023, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
They may have exemplars of her, they may not. Authenticators do always make sure to retain any exemplars of players' relatives that come their way, so you just may luck out in this case.

They have no problem in slabbing a card signed by someone other than the player depicted. Case in point, there are a ton of Perez Steeles out there that are signed in this way which have been slabbed. Think Cy Young's Perez Steele as signed by Cy Young Award winners, or Rube Foster's, signed by whatever Negro Leaguer.
A lot of different takes on whether PSA would authenticate the card and autograph. It looks like Billy the Dodgers fan was the closest. I don't have the card back yet but got the results this morning.

The card graded a PSA 9, the autograph was authenticated and received a 7. The label reflects such. I'm very happy with the results of course. Thanks to all for the comments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSA Front.jpg (205.5 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg PSA Back.jpg (205.0 KB, 129 views)
Old 02-22-2023, 08:19 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
if they dual graded it, it would show up in the pop report as signed by pat tillman, which would be a lousy loophole to try to exploit.
qft.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pop_report.jpg (67.9 KB, 79 views)
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.