NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-28-2012, 10:15 AM
David Linardy

Default Babe Ruth Autograph Check Cut Help Please

Came across this one on ebay... authenticated by ace which spooks me, but looks pretty similar to the ones that I have scene out there...

Any thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks,
David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruth_cut.jpg (50.0 KB, 286 views)
Old 08-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

I say no Dave.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:36 AM
M@rk Cl@ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves_resale_shop View Post
Came across this one on ebay... authenticated by ace which spooks me, but looks pretty similar to the ones that I have scene out there...

Any thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks,
David
Isn't ACE on the banned COA list for eBay? That would be enough for me to stay far away.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:29 AM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves_resale_shop View Post

Any thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks,
David
The forgers job is to make them look SIMILAR TO THE ONES YOU'VE SEEN OUT THERE because they are copying from the real deal. Thankfully most are bad at it but some are very very good. I have examined FULL checks (not cuts) that even have bank paid perforations (done by hand) and bank stamps front and back (usually can't read the dates) that are in my opinion not authentic. becomes obvious under magnification if you know what you are looking for. So even with full checks, tread lightly.
I've said this before but will repeat "master conterfeiters can "FREE HAND" currency and make it look real. Imagine autographs
Old 08-28-2012, 11:32 AM
David Linardy

Default ruth cut

it is ace,

and i too find it hard to believe that although they are on the banned list, their items continue to get posted...
Old 08-28-2012, 11:38 AM

Cuts that come from checks are a huge red flag. The whole check is key. Heck, cuts could have come from my checkbook

Old 08-28-2012, 12:12 PM
keith janosky

I have reported this to Ebay last week and also the other day and they still have it up. Ebay doesn't care.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:38 PM
Bill Panagopulos

There were piles of checks emanating from a forger in south Jersey. He would "wash out" the payee's name and insert "Babe Ruth...Al Capone...Robert E. Lee...Nate Sanders..." and then forge the endorsement on the back. Soooo...beware of endorsements as well.

The "G. H. Ruth" was a specialty of his. I wouldn't turn one over with a stick...
Old 08-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexautographs View Post
There were piles of checks emanating from a forger in south Jersey. He would "wash out" the payee's name and insert "Babe Ruth...Al Capone...Robert E. Lee...Nate Sanders..." and then forge the endorsement on the back. Soooo...beware of endorsements as well.

The "G. H. Ruth" was a specialty of his. I wouldn't turn one over with a stick...
Bill - A forger in South Jersey?,, OMG "I am shocked, shocked to find gambling in this establishment."
I used to see that forger regularly at the Philly shows years ago when I used to set up there.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 08-29-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Bill - A forger in South Jersey?,, OMG "I am shocked, shocked to find gambling in this establishment."
I used to see that forger regularly at the Philly shows years ago when I used to set up there.
How does someone get away with it if you all know what he does?

So crazy this hobby of ours
Old 08-29-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFAUTOS View Post
(And, I might add, who he is.) An EXCELLENT question!
Old 08-29-2012, 06:48 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFAUTOS View Post

So crazy this hobby of ours
Knowing what he does and proving it are two different things.
I reported a scam of his, with the necessary proof to an LE agency.
It involved a Babe Ruth Foundation Check.
One bogus check was not enough for them to act.
That was about five years ago.
Nothing has been done.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 08-29-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:26 PM

That Piedmont guy with all his fake Mathewsons and Ruth signed dollar bills never got his bell rung either. He just stopped posting.

Last edited by packs; 08-29-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:33 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
That Piedmont guy with all his fake Mathewsons and Ruth signed dollar bills never got his bell rung either. He just stopped posting.
Better be careful when talking about him, his lawyer will write you a letter .
--
Old 08-29-2012, 07:51 PM

I'm not passing judgement. Only stating facts.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:56 AM
Bill Panagopulos

I'd like to disclose the name of the South Jersey forger, but I know that he's the subject of federal investigators so any further info would be counter-productive.

His MO is to buy old letterheads, baseballs, greeting cards, blank checks, etc. and adorn them with skillful forgeries of everyone from Al Capone to Babe Ruth to U. S. Grant. He has a partner in the Midwest who has consigned his material to Coach's Corner and many other auctions nationwide.

I believe that Pot of Gold Estate Auctions in Arizona may have unwittingly offered some of his material - at least it matches his style. The pieces also bear COAs by Drew Max of Pawn Star fame - an "authenticator" whose talents IMO would be put to better use as a partner of Chris Morales or ethics coach for Nate Sanders.

I'm no sports expert, but here are some exampls from POG Auctions that resemble the forger's style:

http://azfirearms.auctionflex.com/sh...enum=3&lang=En

http://azfirearms.auctionflex.com/sh...enum=5&lang=En

(My opinion - the above is a very well-executed fake)
Old 08-31-2012, 03:58 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexautographs View Post
I'd like to disclose the name of the South Jersey forger, but I know that he's the subject of federal investigators so any further info would be counter-productive.

His MO is to buy old letterheads, baseballs, greeting cards, blank checks, etc. and adorn them with skillful forgeries of everyone from Al Capone to Babe Ruth to U. S. Grant. He has a partner in the Midwest who has consigned his material to Coach's Corner and many other auctions nationwide.

I believe that Pot of Gold Estate Auctions in Arizona may have unwittingly offered some of his material - at least it matches his style. The pieces also bear COAs by Drew Max of Pawn Star fame - an "authenticator" whose talents IMO would be put to better use as a partner of Chris Morales or ethics coach for Nate Sanders.

I'm no sports expert, but here are some exampls from POG Auctions that resemble the forger's style:

(My opinion - the above is a very well-executed fake)
Drew Max of AAU. The guy who gave himself the title of Forensic Document Examiner (FDE). What a lousy joke!!!

POG-1.jpg

POG-2.jpg

POG-3.jpg

POG-4.jpg
Old 08-31-2012, 04:07 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Knowing what he does and proving it are two different things.
I reported a scam of his, with the necessary proof to an LE agency.
It involved a Babe Ruth Foundation Check.
One bogus check was not enough for them to act.
That was about five years ago.
Nothing has been done.
Ditto. It is a tough thing to watch year after year (like Coach's Corner Auctions). We do what we can to help, and after that, it is out of our hands.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:37 PM
Bill Panagopulos

And year after year these retreads get away with murder - even in my trade (historical stuff). And it's a damned shame.

Murder in the First Degree:

- Incompetent authenticators, crooks and non-crooks alike.

- Collusion between auction houses and their authenticators who both authenticate AND consign...and therefore may reject their competitors' or enemies' consignments as they choose, willy nilly (love that expression).

- Bogus auction trade practices including inflated sales results that were never realized, and the same item selling for the same amount sale after sale after sale.

- Auction results that are never published, or if they're published, show a 99% sell-through rate. Sure.

- Auction houses that brazenly advertise (for example) original Picasso oil paintings certified by so-and-so forensic examiner, sell them for $3,000 a pop, and continue to gull the public shilling the same level of bogus crap.

- Hugely profitable un-"reality" pawn shop shows legitimizing the sleaziest dealers and bums in the trade and thereby verifying their "credentials.

I once pondered a class action lawsuit against the really criminal forensic crooks out there for passing bad material that sold for pennies on the dollar. Why? It devalued MY material and that of my consignors, thereby costing me and fellow dealers and collectors a lot of money. No one stepped up to the plate, as I suspect that the grip these people now have on the industry is simply too strong and they throw lawsuits around like pennies. Witness what happened to Frank Caiazzo...

Evidence? I find it especially interesting that 24 hours after I criticized a West Coast auctioneer for reneging on $7,500 worth of eBay purchases, our email address was subjected to "mail bombs", a sophisticated internet attack that so far we have tracked to...the West Coast, home of the auctioneer, and to New Hampshire...the site of our chief competitor. Go figger.

Last edited by alexautographs; 08-31-2012 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-31-2012, 07:11 PM
Banned

Bill,

you are right, its a big collusion and the buddy buddy stuff will continue unless it gets busted up by law enforcement at the top. too much money to be made by the same people perpetrating it for it to stop as long as they can cover it up, deny, misdirect, blame others, and play dumb and it fills their pockets because we have been taught not to study and do our own homework as collectors, just trust those who have been placed before us. Now the snowball is big and huge and out of control, and can't be stopped even though we see it wasn't what it was cracked up to be because so many still have blinders on and are partying their basses off and when the iceberg hits it will be a sobering wake up call and I hope a lot of this can get cleaned up by I don't hold my breath, I put the odds at about 1 percent.

Last edited by travrosty; 08-31-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:47 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
Bill,

you are right, its a big collusion and the buddy buddy stuff will continue unless it gets busted up by law enforcement at the top. too much money to be made by the same people perpetrating it for it to stop as long as they can cover it up, deny, misdirect, blame others, and play dumb and it fills their pockets because we have been taught not to study and do our own homework as collectors, just trust those who have been placed before us. Now the snowball is big and huge and out of control, and can't be stopped even though we see it wasn't what it was cracked up to be because so many still have blinders on and are partying their basses off and when the iceberg hits it will be a sobering wake up call and I hope a lot of this can get cleaned up by I don't hold my breath, I put the odds at about 1 percent.
Agree with this but man below is the longest sentence I hav ever read! impressive! haha
"Now the snowball is big and huge and out of control, and can't be stopped even though we see it wasn't what it was cracked up to be because so many still have blinders on and are partying their basses off and when the iceberg hits it will be a sobering wake up call and I hope a lot of this can get cleaned up by I don't hold my breath, I put the odds at about 1 percent. "

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 08-31-2012, 11:45 PM
Banned

it was meant to ramble, yes. i just keep putting AND and I can make it as long as i want. ha.